* * - - - 6 votes

lionel messi/sebastian vettel comparison

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:57

hey people!I am a long time lurker from Nairobi,Kenya and I finaly decided to get myself registered!
I am a massive F1 and football fan (cant choose between the two) and there are some comparisons that I have noticed between the top two men in the F1 and soccer-
For me,vettel is just like messi because-
-they are both young but very succesful for their ages.(four time world player of the year and bucketfull of trophies,vettel-3x WDC)
-They let their talents do the talking ie they never hype/praise themselves.
-They both come across as humble with both feet on the ground.journalists widley say they are the most approachable people in their respective sports.
-They excel under pressure.
Interestingly,they have the same flaws namely
- Both are accused of only exelling in the best team ie barcelona is head and shoulders above any team in the world,same could be said of redbull.
-messi and vettel are always being told to prove themselves in other teams before they can be considered great.
-They both behave badly when things dont go their way.
-They are not considered complete player/driver eg messi isnt good at set pieces or heading the ball, vettel is accused of lacking race craft.
So what do you guys think?I am a F1 fan first but I have a soft spot for shumacher and in extension ferrari and vettel beacause he has a r/ship with both.cant wait to hear rom you guys.

Advertisement

#2 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:58

hey people!I am a long time lurker from Nairobi,Kenya and I finaly decided to get myself registered!
I am a massive F1 and football fan (cant choose between the two) and there are some comparisons that I have noticed between the top two men in the F1 and soccer-
-they are both young but very succesful for their ages.(four time world player of the year and bucketfull of trophies,vettel-3x WDC)
-They both come across as humble with both feet on the ground.journalists widley say they are the most approachable people in their respective sports.
- Both are accused of only exelling in the best team ie barcelona is head and shoulders above any team in the world,same could be said of redbull.
-messi and vettel are always being told to prove themselves in other teams before they can be considered great.
-They are not considered complete player/driver eg messi isnt good at set pieces or heading the ball, vettel is accused of lacking race craft.
So what do you guys think?I am a F1 fan first but I have a soft spot for shumacher and in extension ferrari and vettel beacause he has a r/ship with both.cant wait to hear rom you guys.

Pointless compairson. There would be a comparison if Messi's boots were appreciably better than anyone else's.

#3 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:00

No.... No... just no.

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:02

Does that make Mark Webber David Villa? Older, on their way out, broken leg...

#5 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:02

Welcome to the forum. It's not that nice.

#6 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:05

Pointless compairson. There would be a comparison if Messi's boots were appreciably better than anyone else's.

Well, following that argument, also Messi isn't quite as good without superior "equipment", i.e. his teammates. Just look at his record in the national team.

Edit: which he already said in the opening post.

Edited by Jovanotti, 20 February 2013 - 13:07.

#7 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:09

Football and F1 are entirely different sports and comparisons between them are limited.

F1 is massively influenced and dictated by the car one driver has. It's why it isn't an Olympic sport because it doesn't truly depend on the individual, as the car plays a bigger role than the individuals skills itself.

#8 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:09

Both are best in the world at what they (Messi completely dominant, showing GOAT level of performance)....and that's where it ends. Pointless comparison.

#9 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:11

Id say Vettel is the Gareth Barry of F1.

#10 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:12

Well, following that argument, also Messi isn't quite as good without superior "equipment", i.e. his teammates. Just look at his record in the national team.

Edit: which he already said in the opening post.

General misconception considering Messi and his national team; playing a playmaking role, in general getting the ball from midfield, and still being expected to be the primary goal scorer is a plan doomed from the start. Messi still is about 1+/per game in the last 15 national games in the past year and a half, I think.

#11 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:14

I do realise that it is impossible to compare the two sports but what about the athletes themselves?How they carry themselves,how they handle pressure,how they are criticized etc...
You guys cannot see any similarity?

#12 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:14

Can't really compare them both, after all Gareth Barry is shite and Vettel is not.

#13 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:15

Like taking out his own teammate?

To Score an own goal like Gareth Barry aye ;)

Edited by sheepgobba, 20 February 2013 - 13:15.

#14 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:19

lol! nice one mate!

#15 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:19

lol! nice one mate!

#16 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:20

Replace Vettel with Loeb.......... that's nearer!

#17 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:21

I do realise that it is impossible to compare the two sports but what about the athletes themselves?How they carry themselves,how they handle pressure,how they are criticized etc...
You guys cannot see any similarity?

True.

True also.

I agree.

Yes.

Expected, with their dominance at such young age.

See above.

Neither behaves badly when things don't go their way.

Messi is extremely good at heading the ball, he's not that good at winning the aerial battles for obvious reasons. Vettel is extremely good at race craft. To your question, it's because of their dominance again, both are about as complete as it gets in their respective sports.

It's mainly because of the situation they're in, dominating the world at 25. Needs to be said that their personalities off the field/track are completely different.

#18 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:24

I'd say Lewis is Emile Heskey...

or Shaun Wright-Phillips (all the talent, but results don't stack up like they should)

#19 HopkinsonF1

HopkinsonF1

• 381 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:27

This apple sure as hell beats this orange.

Advertisement

#20 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:28

or Shaun Wright-Phillips (all the talent, but results don't stack up like they should)

I'd say comparing Vettel or Hamilton (2 the top 4 in the world) to any English footballer playing currently is a major insult, in terms or talent or results.

#21 HopkinsonF1

HopkinsonF1

• 381 posts

Lewis is more like the Ibrahimovic of F1. Incredible natural talent, amazing to watch, but somehow not quite as successful as he should be.

#22 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

hey people!I am a long time lurker from Nairobi,Kenya and I finaly decided to get myself registered! Hi

-they are both young but very succesful for their ages.(four time world player of the year and bucketfull of trophies,vettel-3x WDC) True

-They let their talents do the talking ie they never hype/praise themselves. True for most of the "top" drivers....... although Fred liked to bleat about what he was doing in a so called poor car last year

-They both come across as humble with both feet on the ground.journalists widely say they are the most approachable people in their respective sports. True. Vettel does "work the room" very well.

-They excel under pressure. Vettel can and will throw his toys out of the pram when under direct pressure - and he's not unbeatable. The 2012 Austin GP for example.......

- Both are accused of only excelling in the best team ie Barcelona is head and shoulders above any team in the world,same could be said of redbull. Very rarely do you win in F1 without the best team/equipment for a given set of conditions - Vettel has had the lions share of this for the past four or so years.

-messi and vettel are always being told to prove themselves in other teams before they can be considered great. True

-They both behave badly when things dont go their way. True

-They are not considered complete player/driver eg messi isnt good at set pieces or heading the ball, vettel is accused of lacking race craft. True

#23 prty

prty

• 8,439 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:30

You know, one of the reasons I follow F1 is that there's not football in it :)

#24 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:30

Lewis is more like the Ibrahimovic of F1. Incredible natural talent, amazing to watch, but somehow not quite as successful as he should be.

Alonso is Ronaldo then? :lol:

#25 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:31

I'd say comparing Vettel or Hamilton (2 the top 4 in the world) to any English footballer playing currently is a major insult, in terms or talent or results.

I thought the English league had the best players in the world and that England have a golden generation... but then again, I have been spoon fed this by Sky Sports over the last decade!

#26 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:32

As a QPR fan I can wholeheartedly confirm that you are talking out of your backside.

SWP is absolute shite 99% of the time....... where as Lewis shines most of the time.

And as for the Heskey comparison............ I take it you are taking the Micky Bliss?

#27 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:33

Replace Vettel with Loeb.......... that's nearer!

Not even close. I'd say the closest comparison is Casey Stoner

#28 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:33

Why are you mentioning Hamilton, what involvement does he hold in this topic?

#29 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:35

Why are you mentioning Hamilton, what involvement does he hold in this topic?

I had to play the role this topic of mentioning him, even though he had no place in this one.

#30 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:38

I had to play the role this topic of mentioning him, even though he had no place in this one.

:lol: Ok.

#31 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:41

Somewhat comparable in terms of their talent, then.

#32 HopkinsonF1

HopkinsonF1

• 381 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:58

And Grosjean's Joey Barton. Right down to the silly French accent.

#33 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 13:59

Messi can only use his left foot.

Vettel can only use his right foot.

#34 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:00

Posted Image

Edited by Shiroo, 20 February 2013 - 14:00.

#35 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:07

I wouldn't say Seb has excelled under pressure. I'm not saying he's bad under pressure because qualifying proves he's not, but I can't think of any overly high pressured situations where he's excelled more than any other driver?

2010 he was the underdog and it was Fernando/Webber with all the pressure.
2011 he walked it and was never under any pressure in terms of losing the championship.
2012 when the pressure was on, he nearly lost the title on the first lap; then the pressure was off him and we all expected the title to go to Fernando.

Edited by Brandz07, 20 February 2013 - 14:08.

#36 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:14

I wouldn't say Seb has excelled under pressure. I'm not saying he's bad under pressure because qualifying proves he's not, but I can't think of any overly high pressured situations where he's excelled more than any other driver?

2010 he was the underdog and it was Fernando/Webber with all the pressure.
2011 he walked it and was never under any pressure in terms of losing the championship.
2012 when the pressure was on, he nearly lost the title on the first lap; then the pressure was off him and we all expected the title to go to Fernando.

Just when I thought I'd seen it all. I guess I should stop being astonished there are people who honestly believe Cronaldo is better than Messi.

#37 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:16

Who cares about football on a racing board?

Just saying....

Edited by ApexMouse, 20 February 2013 - 14:17.

#38 matthewf1

matthewf1

• 76 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:23

where is the emile heskey/narain karthikeyan thread?

#39 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:31

Just when I thought I'd seen it all. I guess I should stop being astonished there are people who honestly believe Cronaldo is better than Messi.

Any examples?

Edited by Brandz07, 20 February 2013 - 14:31.

Advertisement

#40 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:36

Hi kenkip, welcome to the forum :wave:

Like someone stated above, football and formula 1 are completely different sports and
a comparison is therefore difficult. I also got the impression that Messi is rather shy
when being interviewed (I don't follow Barcelona and therefore haven't seen much
footage so I might be wrong here). Vettel on the other hand is very eloquent and
likes to give extensive answers (He is quite bubbly actually).

There sure are some similarities. During the last three years both have won the most
desirable trophy for an individual in their respective sports (Vettel WDC; Messi Ballon d'Or).
And of course, like you stated in the opening post, they both achieved all of this at a young
age. As far as I know Messi is only a few days older than Vettel.

To sum it up, both are extraordinarily successful at an early age. But IMO this is where the
similarities end.

Edited by caso, 20 February 2013 - 15:30.

#41 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:38

Any examples?

On people who think Cronaldo is better than Messi? I don't think you need my help in that (unfortunately).

#42 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:40

On people who think Cronaldo is better than Messi? I don't think you need my help in that (unfortunately).

No, no, no, I know many people that think that. :lol:

I meant examples of when Seb has excelled more than the other drivers under pressure. :)

Edited by Brandz07, 20 February 2013 - 14:40.

#43 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 14:57

I agree with that.
Vettel and Hamilton are big fish in a very very small pond.

#44 sportingcp

sportingcp

• 246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 15:06

:lol: Funny topic. Yes they both are the 2nd best in what they do :cool: . More seriously, they are both 2 great champions with extraordinary talent. They have very different personalities. The thing you said that I agree is "They are not considered complete player/driver eg messi isnt good at set pieces or heading the ball, vettel is accused of lacking race craft." Just a correction, I think that Messi is also very good in set pieces an incredible talent but Ronaldo is an even more complete player and with Alonso and Vettel I think is more or less the same thing (Alonso being more complete, Vettel more talented). But apart from that I donĀ“t think there is a lot much to compare Vettel with Messi.

#45 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 15:09

No, no, no, I know many people that think that. :lol:

I meant examples of when Seb has excelled more than the other drivers under pressure. :)

2010: There's a difference between 'being the underdog going into the last race', and 'having to not set a foot wrong, and not doing so, for the last 4 races'. Especially coming off the engine blow in Korea, he drove every lap exactly as he needed to.
2011: Keeping Hamilton off his tail in Barcelona, and Alonso/Button in Monaco are prime examples of dealing with pressure.
2012: Again, coming from 40 points behind, he did exactly what was expected of him. And I don't think being hit by a car that was impossible to see from that angle, a car that had just outbraked two other cars, is a sign from buckling under pressure.

#46 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 22:03

Both are indeed very young and very good at what they are doing. Both seem to be humble and see themselves more as an integral part of the team the a solitary superstar. Of course they are human and we have seen that tonight. :p

Ah and both are short and boyish. I always imagined stars as being tall so it is quite funny to look down to them, me being 190 cm tall.

Edited by H2H, 20 February 2013 - 22:06.

#47 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:03

2012: Again, coming from 40 points behind, he did exactly what was expected of him. And I don't think being hit by a car that was impossible to see from that angle, a car that had just outbraked two other cars, is a sign from buckling under pressure.

I remember him crashing twice in Abu Dhabi?

Amazing how even in your other threads, you tend to cherry-pick every one of Alonso's mistakes yet ignore half of Vettel's. :lol:

#48 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:06

I remember him crashing twice in Abu Dhabi?

Amazing how even in your other threads, you tend to cherry-pick every one of Alonso's mistakes yet ignore half of Vettel's. :lol:

Yet you link to a post where I mention both AD and Brazil.
Brilliant :clap:

#49 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:16

You don't mention him colliding with Senna (I think it was) in Abu Dhabi? Nor do I remember Alonso running wide more than once in Interlagos. Which you interestingly mentioned, yet conveniently forgot Vettel doing the same in Australia.

Lastly, do you consider a penalty due bad driving behavior to be a mistake? Because I do.

Nevertheless, we are drifting off topic, but your old thread does actually somewhat contradict your point. :drunk:

#50 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,816 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:18

Well aside from this being ludicrous, I certainly hope so, because the red giants from Italy completely neutered Messi just now. I hope this can happen to Seb as well.  ;)