• 1,567 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 18:56

Renault RE60

Renault RS01

Williams Honda FW11

.. what a "lovely" sound that was?

..and the ultra "impressive":

Ferrari F1/87

Sorry if I'm not "excited" about next year's engine sound. I agree with Bernie.

Advertisement

#2 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:06

Looking forward it myself, lower exhaust note will be a pleasant change and it's going to be really interesting to see how the ERS develops.

#3 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:07

Who cares how they sound.

#4 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:13

Why not just post in one of the 2014 engine threads?

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=179763
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=128393
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=175557
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=174959

#5 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:22

Your internet campaign for the preservation of utterly outmoded but aurally pleasing technology is tired, vexing and can be placed in any of 24678 v6 engine threads as intimated above.
The fans opinion on a tech regulation simply isn't a concern.

You could start a petition though! power to the people.

Edited by ApexMouse, 08 April 2013 - 19:22.

#6 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:25

Errr........ seriously? Have you ever seen/heard a bone fide F1 car in the flesh?

The noise is, IMHO, one of if not the best things about seeing an F1 car scream past you.

#7 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:29

If that's modern f1 fans for you, we're screwed!

#8 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:32

I can't remember anybody protesting these sounds in the eighties.

And while next year's engines will be rev limited at 15.000 rpm, that's way higher than the circa 11.000 rpm of the mid-to-late-eighties turbo engines.

Could that be a reason why many journalists lost their initial skepticism once they actually heard these new engines?

#9 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:39

I can't remember anybody protesting these sounds in the eighties.

And while next year's engines will be rev limited at 15.000 rpm, that's way higher than the circa 11.000 rpm of the mid-to-late-eighties turbo engines.

Could that be a reason why many journalists lost their initial skepticism once they actually heard these new engines?

New engines will rev to ~12k RPM, FIA limit doesn't matter.

#10 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 19:44

They sound great.

#11 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:06

They sound great.

I don't think they sound better or worse. Just different. It will be a refreshing change.

#12 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:09

They sound great.

Good enough for me. The current engines are too high pitched for my liking anyway, any change would be welcomed.

I expect this to get merged with one of the dozen other threads whining over the same thing.

#13 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:10

I don't think they sound better or worse. Just different. It will be a refreshing change.

.....You have heard them?

#14 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:16

Haven't been to a live race, I take it, then?

If that's modern f1 fans for you, we're screwed!

It's scary how we grow old so fast :lol:

#15 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,773 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:36

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Unlike the 1980s V6 turbos, the 2014 engine has a single exhaust outlet - higher pitch.

Think this: (2 mins onward) but greatly higher pitch.

V6s sound angry

#16 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:46

One more and each cylinder can have its own thread

#17 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:58

[Sorry if I'm not "excited" about next year's engine sound. I agree with Bernie.

I like that better that the swarm of mad bees we have now. Your examples sound like actual race cars to me.

#18 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:02

I don't care what they sound like, I'm looking forward to see who can do the best job with the ERS especially the MGUH.

#19 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:04

rofllllll

Advertisement

#20 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:10

Current V8's sound woeful. They also race awful due to the gearing. There are also quite big imbalances between the engines as some weren't designed for no refueling regulations.

#21 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:16

Love the gearchanges :love:

#22 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:21

They sound just fine for me. Bernie is just an old fart, he should be ignored.

#23 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:28

The engines will sound like crap due to the restrictions on boost pressure.

This all would have been interesting had they allowed the teams to turn up the boost pressure to the levels that were seen during qualifying in the 1980s.

Too bad...this was a perfect opportunity to see where engineering would have taken us 30 years later in terms of reliability. Instead they are running less power than they were in the mid-80s. Oh wait there's the whole KERS rubbish to make up the extra power. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#24 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:32

Haven't been to a live race, I take it, then?

It's scary how we grow old so fast :lol:

I understand the sound of a modern F1 engine is part of the spectacle and it's a very special noise to many, but isn't this sport about the RACING?

Strange how all the elder fans complain about dulling the sound of the engines but then at the same time they harken for the days of Jim Clark and James Hunt when the engines surely didn't rev to 18k RPM.

It's racing. It comes down to the drivers and the competition. So what if the sound isn't as loud or as screaming as it used to be.

And no, haven't been to a race in-person. Guess that makes my opinions worth less than you god-sent beings who have heard "The Great Noise" and lived to tell the tale.

Gimme a break.

All the whining on these boards. Waah the racing is fixed with team orders, waaah Lewis is the best, waaah Fernando is better, waaah Vettel is a d-bag, waaah the engines aren't as loud as I want them... How about we wait to make a judgement on the engine noise until we hear a pack of cars together in race conditions?

/endrant

#25 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:41

.....You have heard them?

I'm pretty sure he has  ;)

#26 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:49

I understand the sound of a modern F1 engine is part of the spectacle and it's a very special noise to many, but isn't this sport about the RACING?

Strange how all the elder fans complain about dulling the sound of the engines but then at the same time they harken for the days of Jim Clark and James Hunt when the engines surely didn't rev to 18k RPM.

It's racing. It comes down to the drivers and the competition. So what if the sound isn't as loud or as screaming as it used to be.

And no, haven't been to a race in-person. Guess that makes my opinions worth less than you god-sent beings who have heard "The Great Noise" and lived to tell the tale.

Gimme a break.

All the whining on these boards. Waah the racing is fixed with team orders, waaah Lewis is the best, waaah Fernando is better, waaah Vettel is a d-bag, waaah the engines aren't as loud as I want them... How about we wait to make a judgement on the engine noise until we hear a pack of cars together in race conditions?

/endrant

In a word, yes.

However loud you think they are multiple it by 10x and you might get close. Not to mention they sound so much more raw and aggressive in real life, on TV you just don't get the pop and bangs on the down shifts or on a mid corner lift as the engine dumps a wad of unburnt fuel into the exhaust. They are so much more ferocious than the TV portrays or even gets close to portraying. Oh and before i forget, the end of formation lap burn outs are orgasmic, frankly.

Trust me, when you hear them in real life you will appreciate just how important the sound is.

I regret never hearing the V10's in person, don't make the same mistake with the V8's, even you get half the chance i urge to go and see them in the flesh, its a completely different experience.

Here's a decent demonstration, albeit these are the EBD era cars, still doesn't get the whole sensation or the sheer volume of noise across.

Edited by olliek88, 08 April 2013 - 21:50.

#27 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 21:53

In a word, yes.

However loud you think they are multiple it by 10x and you might get close. Not to mention they sound so much more raw and aggressive in real life, on TV you just don't get the pop and bangs on the down shifts or on a mid corner lift as the engine dumps a wad of unburnt fuel into the exhaust. They are so much more ferocious than the TV portrays or even gets close to portraying. Oh and before i forget, the end of formation lap burn outs are orgasmic, frankly.

Trust me, when you hear them in real life you will appreciate just how important the sound is.

I regret never hearing the V10's in person, don't make the same mistake with the V8's, even you get half the chance i urge to go and see them in the flesh, its a completely different experience.

Here's a decent demonstration, albeit these are the EBD era cars, still doesn't get the whole sensation or the sheer volume of noise across.

I can appreciate the sound and I guarantee I will understand your passionate position on the noise of F1 cars if I hear the engines in real-life, but the noise doesn't make the racing any better or worse and that's why I watch F1. I'm watching almost solely for the battles, the drivers, and the racing.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

If Austin wasn't scheduled on top of the biggest karting event in the world, I'd definitely be there for that. But living the US makes it somewhat difficult to get to an F1 race.

Also, I don't care if the engines literally sound like a herd of flatulent cows, I'd rather have that than Bernie "artificially altering" the noise of the cars. We've got DRS and tires made of used chewing gum already, I don't need anymore artificiality in my racing.

Edited by tjkoyen, 08 April 2013 - 21:56.

#28 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:05

Gimme a break.

Actually no, instead of being passive aggressive about it, then indulging in self pity, then jumping onto a high horse, you could have actually waited for a response to that question.

The response to that would be: I advise you to try and make it to a real race, because I never fully grasped the idea of just how magnificent an F1 motor sounds in person. The telly just does not do it any justice at all! Honestly, you just want to be there and listen to it all day long (and eventually lose your hearing :lol:).

I was lucky enough to go to a few races in the V10 era (I also have been to races with V12 but I was too young to remember :(), and even with the cheapest General Admission ticket, being there and listening to the audacious noise is something that I guarantee will change your view on whether sound is an important aspect of F1 or not.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR, at all, but it is one of the small goals in my life to go to a race at Indy or Daytona, because ovals are designed to just make those beastly cars sound even better!

Trust me, see if you can make the effort, it will be well worth your while.

#29 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,773 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:14

Gimme a break.

/endrant

The noise of the cars is overwhelming (you can feel it as well as hear it) at the circuit. It's virtually impossible to sense the importance without having been to one.

Your rant carries little weight given your complete lack of experience. I witnessed the V10s at the height of their reign (2004). That was something spectacular.

#30 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:21

I can appreciate the sound and I guarantee I will understand your passionate position on the noise of F1 cars if I hear the engines in real-life, but the noise doesn't make the racing any better or worse and that's why I watch F1. I'm watching almost solely for the battles, the drivers, and the racing.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

If Austin wasn't scheduled on top of the biggest karting event in the world, I'd definitely be there for that. But living the US makes it somewhat difficult to get to an F1 race.

Also, I don't care if the engines literally sound like a herd of flatulent cows, I'd rather have that than Bernie "artificially altering" the noise of the cars. We've got DRS and tires made of used chewing gum already, I don't need anymore artificiality in my racing.

Incidentally, that is the perfect description of the first generation GP3 car!

#31 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:23

I don't think the sound of the V8's translates well over to TV.

I've watched handheld camera footage that seems to do a better job of capturing the differences in sound between the various engine manufacturers.

#32 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:25

I witnessed the V10s at the height of their reign (2004). That was something spectacular.

Williams Renault thunderclaps on upshifts in the 90's... Unbeatable. It's a pitty onboards miss that, you needed to be looking lined up the straight to get it.

#33 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:57

I have a Raikkonen attitude in regards to this topic.

I really don't care about the sound, I'll keep watching regardless. Yes, maybe the cars will sound worse or whatever, but it doesn't change F1 for me. I've only been watching for 10 years but so far despite the sport's best efforts, I still watch and enjoy. Even if the cars were silent I'd watch and enjoy.

#34 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 23:35

What he said.

Plus, that is 1980's technology.

Not best audio, but give the F1 engines another 200-300 horsepower and you'll have these.

#35 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 00:08

Woe is me, the sky is falling..... :rolleyes:

How about waiting to see if it sounds bad? As stated the specs are different to 80s turbos and I have been to F1 races since the mid 80s when the trubos era was at its peak, they sound great live. If they sound half as good as 80s turbos I will be happy. There is at least a variation to the constant scream of the current high rev v8s.

#36 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 00:32

I advise you to try and make it to a real race, because I never fully grasped the idea of just how magnificent an F1 motor sounds in person. The telly just does not do it any justice at all! Honestly, you just want to be there and listen to it all day long (and eventually lose your hearing :lol:).

I was lucky enough to go to a few races in the V10 era (I also have been to races with V12 but I was too young to remember :(), and even with the cheapest General Admission ticket, being there and listening to the audacious noise is something that I guarantee will change your view on whether sound is an important aspect of F1 or not.

Trust me, see if you can make the effort, it will be well worth your while.

:up:

Nothing beats and hearing these engines in person. The V10s in particular were simply intoxicating. :love:

Edited by DILLIGAF, 09 April 2013 - 00:33.

#37 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,111 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 00:47

:rotfl: The OP links to videos of either an F1 car idling in the garage or a car cruising around the track at half speed :rotfl:

Then complains about the sound? :rolleyes:

Edited by Cacarella, 09 April 2013 - 00:48.

#38 morrino

morrino

• 240 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:42

I like that better than the swarm of mad bees we have now. Your examples sound like actual race cars to me.

I would say mosquitos rather than bees.
This is what I hear when watching F1.

#39 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:22

I would say mosquitos rather than bees.
This is what I hear when watching F1.

True.

FWIW I was at the track and heard V12s and the like in the 70ies, I was at the track and heard the turbos in the 80ies, I was at the track and heard the V10s in the nineties. They all had great sounds in their own ways. So will the next generation.

Advertisement

#40 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:28

True.

FWIW I was at the track and heard V12s and the like in the 70ies, I was at the track and heard the turbos in the 80ies, I was at the track and heard the V10s in the nineties. They all had great sounds in their own ways. So will the next generation.

Exactly, the usual good sense from yourself.

#41 chumma

chumma

• 1,347 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:35

Renault RE60

Renault RS01

Williams Honda FW11

.. what a "lovely" sound that was?

..and the ultra "impressive":

Ferrari F1/87

Let it go, we all know your position on the matter, we've been reading the same thing from you for 6 months now.

ps that Williams sounds lovely.

Edited by chumma, 09 April 2013 - 06:36.

#42 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,773 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:34

Williams Renault thunderclaps on upshifts in the 90's... Unbeatable. It's a pitty onboards miss that, you needed to be looking lined up the straight to get it.

The 2004 BAR Honda...the upshifts battered your chest whilst the extreme top-end scream burst your ear drums.

Was great :D

#43 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:45

A lot of wishful thinking here.

The fact is that V8s sound better to most people than V6s. 2.5L sounds better than 1.5L. 19,000rpm sounds better than 11,000rpm. Additionally, the job of a turbocharger is to take kinetic energy from the exhaust of an engine.

There's no way of getting around the fact that the new engines are going to sound a lot more like econoboxes than like exotic racing machinery.

If you like the sound of Ford Fiestas the same as the sound of Ford GTs then good for you. If you like the sound of Audi A1s the same as Audi R8s then good for you. But let's not kid ourselves. Most people will vastly prefer the sound of the old engines.

#44 clown

clown

• 169 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:11

What I find confusing if why does Bernie, who doesn't care if spectators come to the track as long as the TV rating are good, care about how the cars sound at the track?

#45 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:12

A lot of wishful thinking here.

The fact is that V8s sound better to most people than V6s. 2.5L sounds better than 1.5L. 19,000rpm sounds better than 11,000rpm. Additionally, the job of a turbocharger is to take kinetic energy from the exhaust of an engine.

There's no way of getting around the fact that the new engines are going to sound a lot more like econoboxes than like exotic racing machinery.

If you like the sound of Ford Fiestas the same as the sound of Ford GTs then good for you. If you like the sound of Audi A1s the same as Audi R8s then good for you. But let's not kid ourselves. Most people will vastly prefer the sound of the old engines.

:up: Spot on!

Unfortunately with the cost of attending GP's and the changes in broadcasting , there are far more armchair fans now than in the past and if they haven't experienced their hair standing on end when a V12 Matra or similar goes by, they won't have the emotional response that some of us do... each to their own I suppose, but for me personally the sound is an important factor, I remember all the opinions when the Turbo's were banned and those in attendance welcomed the proper sound of a f1 race start rather than the buzzing turbos from previous years...

#46 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19

V6s sound angry

This sound excellent.

#47 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,402 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:59

:rotfl:

One more and each cylinder can have its own thread

#48 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:43

Reality check: Sound of an engine. Really not that important. :wave:

#49 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,103 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:51

Reality check: Sound of an engine. Really not that important. :wave:

Try telling that to the circuit organisers if gate receipts fall.

#50 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:52

What econobox have you seen that revs to 15,000rpm?