Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Are you happy with 2013 tires?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you happy with 2013 tire situation? (252 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy with 2013 tire situation?

1. Yes (92 votes [36.51%])

Percentage of vote: 36.51%

2. No (149 votes [59.13%])

Percentage of vote: 59.13%

3. Dont know (11 votes [4.37%])

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:09

Simple question. Are you happy with the way present pirelli tires are acting? Do you enjoy the present day racing where drivers complain that they drive to delta times most of the race?

Some reading if you are new to this
http://forums.autosp...p;#entry6221385

Advertisement

#2 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:15

Compared to what?

#3 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:16

Haha. Thats a very 'leading' opening statement you make there. And not even totally accurate as this 'delta' thing is greatly exaggerated and misunderstood.

EDIT: I dont know how to answer that, I guess. I'm happy with what Pirelli have brought to the table overall in this sport, but I think there needs some tweaking in either the tires or tire choices in 2013 specifically. None of those options really fit how I feel.

Edited by Seanspeed, 13 April 2013 - 01:20.

#4 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:25

:lol:

Being sincere,my happiness or not is lewis happiness or not.

#5 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:10

LOL at Q1. Fantastic action in first 10 minutes.

#6 RoryF1

RoryF1

• 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:15

Seriously, 10 minutes of non running because the teams are afraid to use the tires.

#7 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:18

bring more tyres.

#8 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,787 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:18

Pirelli has provided mediocre tyres ever since they took over from Bridgestone.

"for the show" they say, Schumacher has said it over and over again, the drivers are not riding on the limit anymore because you need to be in the delta if not you destroy the tyres. They need to make the tyres last a lot longer so that drivers can push more and demand more of the tyres.

#9 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:19

Absolutely not.

#10 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:27

I'd love Bridgestone to come back for 45 processional laps in Bahrain... and then re do this poll.

#11 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:31

Funnily enough Mr Hembery said the softs are qualifying tires. The damn thing cannot even last couple of hot laps. :rotfl:

I'd love Bridgestone to come back for 45 processional laps in Bahrain... and then re do this poll.

With DRS you mean?

Edited by akshay380, 13 April 2013 - 06:34.

#12 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:39

Haha I'm loving the drama.

As for the race, wtf is going to happen? No idea = FUN :wave:

#13 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:55

For now China qualifying is amazing. Have to find some fresh paint.

#14 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,821 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:19

What a joke!!!

#15 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:19

Great to see the World Champions go up against each other in Q3.... oh wait... we didn't. ZZZzzz... racing? Peeerrrrrleeeeeeezzzze!

#16 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:25

Great to see the World Champions go up against each other in Q3.... oh wait... we didn't. ZZZzzz... racing? Peeerrrrrleeeeeeezzzze!

Wot, we had LH vs KR va FA. WDC's all.

Then tomorrow we have 4th and 5th wdc's starting 8th/9th on new/used primes with new options to come later. Yet more interest.

Edited by undersquare, 13 April 2013 - 07:25.

#17 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:27

I think I'm warming up to them.

#18 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:27

Yes if you are happy with mediocrity

#19 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:32

I put 'don't know', only because there are a couple of problems that I feel need addressing...

- Bring more tyres to a weekend. Yes I know that's more expensive for manufacturing, shipping etc., but we want to see these cars out on track in any conditions, not having to save tyres for Sunday from the first lap of the weekend. Even if it's 2 more sets a day you'd get so much on-track action and probably less complaints about tyre wear as the teams get more running to work out their setup.

- Put more rubber on the carcass of the tyre. I think it's a genuine safety issue when one spin or lock-up can wear the tyre down to the canvas, and possibly lead to a delamination (as happened to Button yesterday) or high-speed blowout. I like that Pirelli have made these soft, hard to manage compounds, but more rubber on the tyre would 1. increase tyre life by a certain % and 2. ensure greater safety when the tyre has been put through massive stress.

Otherwise I have no complaints...

Advertisement

#20 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:18

Yea, like that would've happened with DRS.

#21 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:26

Look how close the results are, even though we hear so much noise from the other half.

#22 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:27

There must be a way of making F1 tires that is reasonably robust while still having a fairly linear degrading. Problem with the Bridgestones was that there was hardly any performance degradation until they went out completely. Problem with the Pirellis is that if you push them, they die.

#23 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:29

Just bring only the medium tyre to every track. And I think that would remove all the problems.

#24 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:39

Haha. Thats a very 'leading' opening statement you make there. And not even totally accurate as this 'delta' thing is greatly exaggerated and misunderstood.

Even Button, one of F1s tyre whisperers, has been talking about delta times this weekend. Food for thought.

#25 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:00

Tyres are fine. The rules governing the use of them however is rubbish.

Edited by Jazza, 13 April 2013 - 10:00.

#26 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:01

This. Scrap the start on your Q3 tyre rule and give them an extra set of options IMHO.

Edited by olliek88, 13 April 2013 - 10:01.

#27 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:04

Am I happy with 2013 tyres? Absolutely not - they are craps.

#28 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:13

:up:

Plus, there are greater detriments to the quality of the racing than the tyres (DRS, stewarding, aero rules).

#29 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:29

Funny, Bridgestone was in F1 from 1997(?) till 2010. Yet the Pirelli fans only mention their last year of harder tyres. Grey lies between black and white you know?

I hate these tyres, from their inception in 2011 untill now. If anyone watched motogp last weekend.... Imagine that with a Pirelli like tyre and see if you still like them so much.

#30 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:32

There is nothing wrong with the tyres. Some teams pretend like having tyres that degrade is something new. It's not. There has never been tyres in F1 or anywhere else which wouldn't suffer if you let them slip or lock up. If you can't keep the car straight and slide around like an idiot, then it's your fault for ruining them. The team and the driver has the responsibility to make them work. The tyres are differenciating factor right now, so it's obviously easy to blame them if you lack speed. A few years ago the same people complained about the engines...

#31 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:35

There is nothing wrong with the tyres. Some teams pretend like having tyres that degrade is something new. It's not. There has never been tyres in F1 or anywhere else which wouldn't suffer if you let them slip or lock up. If you can't keep the car straight and slide around like an idiot, then it's your fault for ruining them. The team and the driver has the responsibility to make them work. The tyres are differenciating factor right now, so it's obviously easy to blame them if you lack speed. A few years ago the same people complained about the engines...

Yeah sure, so drivers like Alonso and Hamilton are crap drivers who don't know what they are talking about, if this guys say that this tyres are useless, then they are!

Edited by skyform, 13 April 2013 - 10:36.

#32 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:38

I agree with the view that the tyre-use related rules are a bigger problem than the tyres themselves.

#33 ruby soho

ruby soho

• 478 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:40

Yeah sure, so drivers like Alonso and Hamilton are crap drivers who don't know what they are talking about, if this guys say that this tyres are useless, then they are!

The teams spend hundreds of millions in development and the drivers earn fortunes, it shouldn't matter if the tyres were made from cheese. They might not like them, but it's their job to make them work. The rules and conditions are the same for everyone, the best team and driver still wins.

#34 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:40

Funny, Bridgestone was in F1 from 1997(?) till 2010. Yet the Pirelli fans only mention their last year of harder tyres. Grey lies between black and white you know?

I hate these tyres, from their inception in 2011 untill now. If anyone watched motogp last weekend.... Imagine that with a Pirelli like tyre and see if you still like them so much.

That's the only year that's comparable to the current Pirelli's since most of the Bridgestone era had re-fuelling.

#35 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:02

The complaints keep coming, still the Pirelli support going pretty strong at 44%-51%.

#36 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:05

Not at all; pitstops before lap 10? No competition? :down: That said, part of the reason stops are done early is of course due to the qualifying format with its heavy handed parc ferme regulations. And to be fair, there is a certain method to the Pirelli madness: we don't see Toro Rosso winning races and Marussia on pole, for example.

Let's also point out yet again that the teams themselves specifically asked for tyres like this!

#37 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:14

Compared to what?

Venereal disease.

#38 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:20

The teams spend hundreds of millions in development and the drivers earn fortunes, it shouldn't matter if the tyres were made from cheese. They might not like them, but it's their job to make them work. The rules and conditions are the same for everyone, the best team and driver still wins.

I don't think you would say the same if you would be the driver, you would probably be pretty pissed aswell if you couldn't push the car and show your true potential and nurse the stupid tyres.

Why is this sport called motorsport racing, it should be about racing, it's a freaking racing competition, where each driver can show how fast he is and not to do delta times, nursing tyres or what ever? Drivers can't push at all, they have to think about the tyres all the time and they are all the time concerned that the tyres might every moment fall apart.

Edited by skyform, 13 April 2013 - 11:22.

#39 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:21

That's the only year that's comparable to the current Pirelli's since most of the Bridgestone era had re-fuelling.

And no DRS

Advertisement

#40 Aateli

Aateli

• 23 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:22

Tyres are OK. FIA should just allow a couple sets more per weekend for the teams to test and drive them in qualifyings and practices. It would make better TV and the costs wouldn't be dramatically increased.

#41 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:51

No. I would rather see a one-stop race (or even a non-stop race!) than ridiculous racing on soft tyres that are gone after four or five laps.

#42 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,174 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:52

Tyres are OK. FIA should just allow a couple sets more per weekend for the teams to test and drive them in qualifyings and practices. It would make better TV and the costs wouldn't be dramatically increased.

#43 Lantern

Lantern

• 2,408 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:47

I can't stand it. At first I thought it was a good idea, but I was thinking it was gonna be a situation where the tyres were where bridgestone's mediums left off and went softer from there.

This is NOT the case. There's not TWO different ways to race like there should be. One going fast as possible burning tyres and trying to gap as much as possible to make up for another stop and one going slightly slower trying to shave a pit stop while staying within striking distance at the end.

What we have now is a race to nurse tyres to the end no matter what and drivers if they are within striking distance at any point in the race that are too scared to try and pass unless its on the straights in the DRS zone for fear of a single scuffle forcing them to the back or to the pits for fresh trashy tyres. The only "passing" we see elsewhere is when a driver is plummeting to the rear after pushing just a bit over. If this is great racing then I have missed the boat on understanding that one. Oops! I'm sorry I forgot the "passing" thats seen at the start of races in the first few laps as drivers settle gently into their strategies like a length of chain being unkinked.

When at the end of these micro endurance strategy races we have drivers in position to race and the teams stop them because they KNOW they can't without losing everything.

Edited by Lantern, 13 April 2013 - 12:55.

#44 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:52

Quite staggered how many people voted yes, so many of you really like driving to a delta time rather than 'racing'?

Oh dear :(

#45 reynard883

reynard883

• 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:17

The Pirelli rubber they use lasts longer than the tyres on my wifes PT cruiser!

#46 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:21

No. Not at all.

#47 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:07

I'm pretty sure the tyres are going to give us an amazing race.

For 5-6 laps there'll be huge tension to see who pits when.

Then the top 7 will pit and will be on Mediums that they CAN race on, not recklessly but as much as in the Good Old Days when Goodyears were changed regularly during the races.

They will have to fight their way past a bunch of slower cars, by PASSING.

All race there'll be the tension of when the cars that started on primes are going to use the options.

At the end will be a massive denouement with anyone who's left the options to the end having to pit and the spectacle of their laptimes holding up, or not...

So let's wait and see the race, before we decide. Personally, I am totally overexcited at what we're about to be served :D .

#48 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:29

Pirelli has provided mediocre tyres ever since they took over from Bridgestone.

"for the show" they say, Schumacher has said it over and over again, the drivers are not riding on the limit anymore because you need to be in the delta if not you destroy the tyres. They need to make the tyres last a lot longer so that drivers can push more and demand more of the tyres.

and Raikkonen recently said that this is simply not true, at least in his case.

It was in an motorsport-total.com interview.

Frage: "Glaubst du, dass die ersten Runden mit diesen Reifen im Rennen zu einem Geduldsspiel werden?"
Räikkönen: "Glaube ich nicht. Normalerweise versuchst du im Rennen ab der ersten Runde zu pushen. Alle sagen, dass man es locker angehen sollte, aber in Wahrheit passiert das nie. Wenn du nach hinten Luft hast, gehst du vielleicht mal ein bisschen vom Gas, aber normalerweise greifst du von Anfang an an."

Q:Do you think that you have to take it easy with these tyres?
A:I dont think so. Usually you try to push from the very first lap. People say you should take it easy, but that never happens. If you have a gap to the car behind you can ease of the throttle a bit, but under normal circumstances you attack from the very beginning.

Edited by beute, 13 April 2013 - 21:29.

#49 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:43

Absolutely not, they are starting to ruin this sport for me tbh, F1 is feeling too artificial. I feel as if the cars are so close this year, but the tires ruin the competition.

Edited by MikeV1987, 13 April 2013 - 21:52.

#50 ChiltonsCats

ChiltonsCats

• 129 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 00:50

if they hand Vettel an easy victory tomorrow then someone needs to burn every Pirelli factory on Earth.