- - - - -

Sebastian Vettel wins the SPOTY Overseas Sports Personality of the Year

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:10

Yet another trophy for Sebastian Vettel this year.

BBCSPOTY ‏@BBCSPOTY

The winner of the #SPOTY Overseas Sports Personality of the Year is Sebastian Vettel #SPOTY

Advertisement

#2 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,128 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:17

Did anyone see Mark Webber presenting Team of the Year? Next to a professional female tennis player he looked positively anorexic. That a pure physical athlete can comfortably carry so much more weight is a sign of how ridiculously skinny any 5ft+ F1 driver has to be these days.

#3 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:25

Wow, they actually took notice of motorsport for a change then.

Would've been rather strange if he hadn't won it.

#4 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:31

I think he was against Rafa Nadal, so I'm quite surprised he won.

#5 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:32

I used to love that programme and watched it every year!

Then the F1 part got less and less, if you were lucky you'd get 1-2 mins of F1 while sitting through 15 mins of football crap and other stuff.

I think they should rename it now though, Sports Personality?  most of the winners don't have one!! (not having a dig at Seb here.)

just change it to 'Sports Popularity'  thats all it is these days.  a popularity contest.

#6 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:33

Thoroughly deserves it, he's had an incredible year and he was up against some extremely stiff competition.

Bravo Seb!  :clap:

#7 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:43

I think he was against Rafa Nadal, so I'm quite surprised he won.

For once I would have prefered a non-F1 driver to win it as a Rafa fan.  :cry:  Incredible year , more impressive than Seb's imo.

#8 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:46

Congrats @Sebastian

For once I would have prefered a non-F1 driver to win it as a Rafa fan.  :cry:  Incredible year , more impressive than Seb's imo.

No it wasn't.  Seb's year was phenomenal any way you want to look at it.  Rafa's was very good, but not equally phenomenal - respectively - in their sports.

Edited by bourbon, 15 December 2013 - 22:47.

#9 SebnandoKimilton

SebnandoKimilton

• 71 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:48

Deservedly so, congratulations Sebastian!

#10 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:52

Congrats @Sebastian

No it wasn't.  Seb's year was phenomenal any way you want to look at it.  Rafa's was very good, but not equally phenomenal - respectively - in their sports.

I never said Vettel's wasn't phenomenal. It's just the fact that in F1 you depend a bit more on your equipment than in tennis. Seb drove brilliant and made no mistakes but nobody expected Rafa to do what he did.I didn't think he'd be competitive until a few months after his comeback. Anyway , we'll both be biased since we are supporting two different people.

EDIT: I'm not having a go at Seb either. He really does deserve it.  :up:

Edited by P0inters, 15 December 2013 - 22:53.

#11 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:52

Normally the BBC give it to a tennis player or runner and only Lauda has won this award from the F1 world... MotoGP barely got a mention which was a disgrace when some really obscure sports got a big mention and F1 would've been the same had Seb not won the award.

Well done Seb!

#12 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:54

Then the F1 part got less and less, if you were lucky you'd get 1-2 mins of F1 while sitting through 15 mins of football crap and other stuff.

I think they should rename it now though, Sports Personality?  most of the winners don't have one!! (not having a dig at Seb here.)

just change it to 'Sports Popularity'  thats all it is these days.  a popularity contest.

Every single year.... :rolleyes:

Congrats @Sebastian

Hard to say. Nadal's season after returning from injury was spectacular, and excluding an injury-induced Wimbledon barely put a foot wrong until the finals. It's a well deserved award for Vettel nonetheless.

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 23:21

Can you be more specific and tell us which of these winners http://en.wikipedia....ity_of_the_Year "don't have a personality"? 

Edited by scheivlak, 15 December 2013 - 23:21.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 23:29

It's good to see F1 get some recognition.

#15 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,008 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 23:39

It's good to see F1 get some recognition.

It's ridonkulous though that teams seem to be exempt from awards.  I don't think a racing team has won the Team of the Year since 1962.  In 1988 McLaren and Jaguar both had strong claims but lost to the hockey team, who had the considerable advantage of beating Germans in the Olympic final.  McLaren should surely have won in 1984, but lost out to the Olympic horse jumpers, who didn't even win once.

I'd've favoured Red Bull this year over the peanut-huggers, certainly.

#16 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 23:43

It's ridonkulous though that teams seem to be exempt from awards.  I don't think a racing team has won the Team of the Year since 1962.  In 1988 McLaren and Jaguar both had strong claims but lost to the hockey team, who had the considerable advantage of beating Germans in the Olympic final.  McLaren should surely have won in 1984, but lost out to the Olympic horse jumpers, who didn't even win once.

I was thinking Red Bull deserve to win the team of the year, but I figured they may not be eligible due to the fact they are registered as an Austrian team even though the factory is in Milton Keynes. (I presume it is only for British teams).

#17 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 23:44

I never said Vettel's wasn't phenomenal. It's just the fact that in F1 you depend a bit more on your equipment than in tennis. Seb drove brilliant and made no mistakes but nobody expected Rafa to do what he did.I didn't think he'd be competitive until a few months after his comeback. Anyway , we'll both be biased since we are supporting two different people.

EDIT: I'm not having a go at Seb either. He really does deserve it.  :up:

No, actually I am a huge fan of Rafa - and I agree he was spectacular.  I just give Seb the edge.

#18 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,008 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 23:45

I was thinking Red Bull deserve to win the team of the year, but I figured they may not be eligible due to the fact they are registered as an Austrian team even though the factory is in Milton Keynes. (I presume it is only for British teams).

Yeah, at least with a British element (Ryder Cup teams for example count), although if I bought Ferrari it wouldn't make them British.

#19 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 00:09

Yeah, at least with a British element (Ryder Cup teams for example count), although if I bought Ferrari it wouldn't make them British.

I don't know why else they would be overlooked though, that was the only reason I could think of. They have done an amazing job the last 4 years and taken it to a whole new level against more famous and established teams, and made the whole grid raise their game. It would have been good to see that recognised.

Nice to see Vettel pick up an award though, and much deserved. Motor sport seems to have got less and less coverage on this program over the past few years, I didn't even bother watching tonight as it usually disappoints me but maybe I will try and catch up with it on I-player.

Advertisement

#20 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 00:52

Glad he won it, they seem to give to a tennis player or someone from athletics every year and I hate those sports.  Vettel is the best sportsman in the world right now along with Messi so should have won it by now, just typing that I realise Messi hasn't won it which is ridiculous. 

I used to love the show but now that F1 has been covered less and less i don't watch it and didn't even realise it was on until I saw this thread, it is a pity as F1 is the greatest of all sports and it pains me to see cycling and tennis and the like get more coverage when they are lesser sports imo.

#21 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:01

Seb is causing quite a stir, non-fans who know I like F1 have been asking me lately "is he really that good" or "who is this Vettel". I have been asked numerous times how he compares to Schumacher and others, "is he as good as Mansell" was one the other week. People are starting to know who he is.

There is a certain aura around him at the moment, good on him for winning this award  :up:

#22 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:36

"is he as good as Mansell" was one the other week. 

:lol: That made me chuckle.

#23 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:53

And this provides a bit of insight into the "person" in the SPOTY personality of the year award:

Edited by bourbon, 16 December 2013 - 02:57.

#24 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:43

So they didn't see Vettel's Malaysian GP shenanigans tarnished his image or personality. Good. Noted for future reference.

#25 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,732 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:53

So they didn't see Vettel's Malaysian GP shenanigans tarnished his image or personality. Good. Noted for future reference.

Doesn't really say anything on that either way when the Overseas Personality award isn't voted on by the public. Unless I'm missing some other point here.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk...nality/24145324)

#26 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:06

Doesn't really say anything on that either way when the Overseas Personality award isn't voted on by the public. Unless I'm missing some other point here.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk...nality/24145324)

BBC has been --and rightly so-- quite vocal when it comes to on-track behaviour and 'viciuousness'. Therefore, I am surprised to see Vettel's perkiness overhauled his naughtiness as this is a 'Personlity' award, not a performance one as I see it. Rafa would be more apt choice in my opinion.

#27 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:44

BBC has been --and rightly so-- quite vocal when it comes to on-track behaviour and 'viciuousness'. Therefore, I am surprised to see Vettel's perkiness overhauled his naughtiness as this is a 'Personlity' award, not a performance one as I see it. Rafa would be more apt choice in my opinion.

They refer to actual vicious things like spygate, liegate or crashgate.  Not those things fans decide are vicious - or there would never be any awards for any F1 drivers.  :lol:

#28 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:06

Surprised to hear it was unanimously agreed by the panel.

VIDEO: Vettel wins overseas Sports Personality http://bbc.in/JoL9uI

Sebastian Vettel has won the BBC's Overseas Sports Personality of the Year award.  He's only the second driver to win the award, after Niki Lauda in 1977.

I guess timing is very important, still it's hard to believe that Schumacher has never won it.  :eek:

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:31

MotoGP barely got a mention which was a disgrace ...

Having lost the rights to BT Sport the BBC are hardly likely to want to give them the publicity for next year.

#30 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:34

I guess timing is very important, still it's hard to believe that Schumacher has never won it.  :eek:

In his record breaking (6 WDCs) year, 2003, the BBC gave its award to the illustrious champion notorious cheater Lance Armstrong. :p

Anyway, not that it matters, it is after all just one of thousands of random awards handed out, but it is indeed somewhat surprising that there aren't too many motorsport figures on the list. Perhaps the strong British presence in a lot of forms of motorsport leads to the BBC picking 'something else' for its choice.

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 December 2013 - 10:35.

#31 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:38

That was my point, actually. Schumacher was never the personality guy on-track so as to deserve such kind of ward, so he didn't understandably make the cut. However, the fact that Vettel simply stole a win from his own team mate was somehow overlooked by this committee. Perhaps Sebastian found the formula to negate his relentless and merciless nature by being cheerfull off-track and of course declaring his admiration towards the Beatles and Monty Python.

#32 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:44

Surprised to hear it was unanimously agreed by the panel.

VIDEO: Vettel wins overseas Sports Personality http://bbc.in/JoL9uI

Also bear in mind that almost all of Schumacher's best seasons were when BBC didn't have the rights to show F1. Before that, they'd have received an enormous amount of flak for giving him any sort of award, given the history between him and Damon ... and Jacques ... and Herbert ... and Irvine ... and DC ...

And, frankly, in his first iteration, he was pretty dour and uninteresting. He certainly wouldn't have qualified as a 'personality' and he only developed any warmth after he came back to race for Mercedes. The contrast was remarkable.

#33 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,128 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:46

I share your thoughts ali. His actions in Malaysia would be enough to stop me voting for him for this award. I guess the main difference between Schumacher and Vettel is that Vettel did the dirty on an Aussie, not a Brit. Had it been Button in the No.2 RB Vettel would be the new Schumacher already.

I do think he seems a charming and affable guy out of the cockpit and probably deserves this type of award on those merits.

#34 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:48

In his record breaking (6 WDCs) year, 2003, the BBC gave its award to the illustrious champion notorious cheater Lance Armstrong. :p

To be fair, they did quietly expunge his name from the list last year: http://www.standard....rd-8423732.html

#35 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:52

They picked the wrong year for Vettel if this was truly a 'personality' award. Ignoring team orders and then lying about it is apparently seen as a 'substantial contribution' to the sport of Formula 1.

#36 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:02

That was my point, actually. Schumacher was never the personality guy on-track so as to deserve such kind of ward, so he didn't understandably make the cut. However, the fact that Vettel simply stole a win from his own team mate was somehow overlooked by this committee. Perhaps Sebastian found the formula to negate his relentless and merciless nature by being cheerfull off-track and of course declaring his admiration towards the Beatles and Monty Python.

While I don't agree with your notion that he 'stole' a win, there's no doubt it wasn't his proudest moment though, I believe they use the term 'personality' rather loosely here. So I'm not sure if that was the major reason why Schumacher hasn't received the award. It might have tipped the balance at the last minute though.

Also bear in mind that almost all of Schumacher's best seasons were when BBC didn't have the rights to show F1. Before that, they'd have received an enormous amount of flak for giving him any sort of award, given the history between him and Damon ... and Jacques ... and Herbert ... and Irvine ... and DC ...

And, frankly, in his first iteration, he was pretty dour and uninteresting. He certainly wouldn't have qualified as a 'personality' and he only developed any warmth after he came back to race for Mercedes. The contrast was remarkable.

Good point.  :up:

#37 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:34

People suggesting this award is based on personality rather than achievement??? The main award was given to Andy "I'm even more uninterested in anything than Paul Di Resta unless my Mum tells me to be" Murray.  I've had goldfish with more personality, after they'd died.

#38 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:55

The winner of the German "Athlete of the Year 2013" award however is discus throwing world champion Robert Harting, like last year where he won gold at the Olympics. Vettel came second, like last year too.

http://www.dw.de/ger...year/a-17298579

Edited by Wanderer, 16 December 2013 - 12:00.

#39 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:58

The word "personality" isn't used in its primary meaning for this award, but rather the secondary sense of "famous person". It's very much an achievement based award, but if they called it "Famous sportsperson who achieved the most in the eyes of the public and the panel" it wouldn't be very catchy. :)

People suggesting this award is based on personality rather than achievement??? The main award was given to Andy "I'm even more uninterested in anything than Paul Di Resta unless my Mum tells me to be" Murray. I've had goldfish with more personality, after they'd died.

Andy Murray's on-court demeanour and monotone voice have long let him down. He's really a great and often amusing guy, you just have to work for it. ;)

Advertisement

#40 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:10

I still think it's funny how Ignoring team orders went from a act of good to the worst thing ever then back to good again when Massa and Grosjean did.

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:12

Overseas?....

Auntie still focused on Empire I see.

This show is tired and myopic.

The most compelling event this year was the final of the America's cup

'personality' is a subjective judgement.

Jp

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15

It's also probably worth pointing out that if you look at the list of overseas personality winners over the twenty years or so since Sky Sports has been in existence, I think only two or three winners have come from sports which were not at that time covered by the BBC - Lance Armstrong in 2003, Shane Warne in 2005 and Usain Bolt's second award in 2009. Cycling was a C4 speciality then, Test Cricket was still on C4 in 2005 and IIRC they also had the rights to athletics in 2009. Bolt's 2008 win could be pinned to the Olympics, which BBC did have. So, perhaps a better description of this award would be 'Overseas Sports Personality seen on the BBC'?

Next year it'll probably be a Chinese snooker player ... :rolleyes:

#43 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,732 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16

If it helps anyone confused by the whole 'personality' thing, the link I included earlier has the broad criteria for this award:

"...the foreign sportsman or woman who has made the greatest impression in the world of sport this year."

If it doesn't help of course, please yourself and carry on.

#44 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:19

Overseas?....

This show is tired and myopic.

The most compelling event this year was the final of the America's cup

'personality' is a subjective judgement.

Jp

Absolutely! As I said at the time of the final race, I never thought I'd find myself cheering for the Septics in anything  ;)

But of course it was on Sky ...

#45 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:47

:lol: That made me chuckle.

Lucky you, I had to keep a straight face and give a diplomatic answer   ;)

#46 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:58

How did Rossi never win this award during his pomp? Unbelievable..... but as usual, the Beeb gave it to either a tennis, golf or athletics person.

#47 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:59

I think the Lions were more deserving having smashed the colonials on their manor, so to speak. First time in 16 years. And it's a part-time team with all that entails, so quite an achievement.

#48 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 13:01

Overseas?....

Jp

What a ridiculous comment. 

You're probably a johnny foreigner, I'm sure. 

Edited by stanga, 16 December 2013 - 13:01.

#49 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 13:24

So, perhaps a better description of this award would be 'Overseas Sports Personality seen on the BBC'?

Indeed!  :up:  These kind of pronouncements are a great way for media-companies to advertise their own product, and a lot of people care because they name it an Award instead of an Ad. :p

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 13:26

:lol:

Very well deduced stanga.

Absolutely! As I said at the time of the final race, I never thought I'd find myself cheering for the Septics in anything  ;)

But of course it was on Sky ...

I fear the only Septic on our team was Larry Ellison.

Re: Sophie's elucidation, "the greatest impression in the world of sport "

It still, to me, wax' of a BBC internal directive intimating "Our World"

Jp