Photo

Geoff Green racing driver? Southern Organs sponsorship in 1975

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 22:10

I was posting a new profile picture to my facebook page re The Summer Isles when I remembered the story concerning Jim Miller & John Bellord of Southern Organs infamy who hid on one of these remote islands in Scotland. Took a while to find it on Google.The story mentions one Geoff Green who I'd never heard of. There are also 2 Youtube films with pictures of Geoff. 

http://authonomy.com...hapterid=481666

Can anyone help?

Advertisement

#2 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:13

Mr Green states in  the book that he knew nothing about motor racing before being appointed Southern Organs Motor Racing Promotions Manager. Indeed his knowledge of motor racing is rather suspect. He claims that Dave Morgan's one-off drive in the 1975 British GP cost Jim Millar £250,000. I would be very surprised if Surtees had seen more than 10% of that amount. After all Hesketh spent £50,000 in 1973 to do more than 1/2 the season. The book also refers to Tom Price and Nikki Lauda. Such attention to detail did not inspire me to read further.

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:37

there is mention of a G Green driving a Healey Saloon and G P Green driving a Healey Silverstone in the early 50's on the racingsportscars.com site.

The Southern Organs scam is a fascinating story, but which of the protagonists to believe  :drunk: 

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:30

Southern_Organs_Still.jpg

This is an image of the man identified as Geoff Green in the documentary, looks a bit too young to have been driving a Healey in the early to mid 50's :confused:

#5 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:33

Southern_Organs_Still.jpg

This is an image of the man identified as Geoff Green in the documentary, looks a bit too young to have been driving a Healey in the early to mid 50's :confused:

Definitely not a 50s driver. He states in chapter 3 of the book that he was a builder's labourer aged 21 in 1962.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 22:22

I am beginning to wonder if the gentleman in the photograph is one of the Southern Organ backed drivers which off the top of my head included Tony Lanfranchi who drove the National Organs 'Cuda, Atlantic driver Geoff Friswell and eventual Surtees F1 driver Dave Morgan. Were there any others ?   

#7 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:49

Yes Ralph, more than a few!! At one time around 1974-75, most races had at least 1 SO 'sponsored' driver - though how many of them actually received any of Mr M's £££ is another matter.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:14

Here are a couple of earlier threads:

Southern Organs Championship

Sydney Miller and Southern Organs

#9 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:33

I am beginning to wonder if the gentleman in the photograph is one of the Southern Organ backed drivers which off the top of my head included Tony Lanfranchi who drove the National Organs 'Cuda, Atlantic driver Geoff Friswell and eventual Surtees F1 driver Dave Morgan. Were there any others ?   

The photo in post 4 does look a bit like Geoff Friswell. http://www.brdc.co.u...ff_Friswell.jpg

I think Geoff Friswell may have posted on TNF for a while but sadly passed away a few years ago.

#10 Herbert Austin

Herbert Austin

• 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 13:34

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PAbMZqjotjM

Edited by Herbert Austin, 02 January 2014 - 13:41.

#11 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:22

What a great film!! ;)
The photo of and the interviewed Geoff Green look different to me though??
I picked up Tony Lanfranchis book earlier and he has about a page on Mr Miller, but nothing much more illuminating.

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:32

Bob Constanduros has emailed me to add the following;

I’m writing regarding a post on your forum entitled ‘Geoff Green – racing driver’ in which various people are questioning an alleged claim that Geoff Green – one time racing sponsorship manager for Southern Organs – actually raced. If those posters actually read the book – whose link was given in the first post – and a cracking good read it is – they would learn a great deal more and that the pic used is actually Clive Baker who was confused with Geoff Green. Green admits that he knew nothing about racing – which is probably why he got the spelling of Niki Lauda and Tom Pryce wrong. I’ve been researching Southern Organs for several years but although this book doesn’t tell it from a motor racing angle, it explains just about everything you need to know about what was a remarkable scam. It is a great story very well told by someone who was there.

#13 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:41

Bob Constanduros has emailed me to add the following;

Green admits that he knew nothing about racing – which is probably why he got the spelling of Niki Lauda and Tom Pryce wrong.

Thank you for confirming what I wrote in Post No 2.  ;)

#14 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 20:57

What an amazing story...

I have just spent much of today reading Geoff Green's book (which is linked in post #1 of this thread) and can thoroughly recommend it (although I have to admit I skipped through some of the stuff about how Miller came to know him and the early years of the business).

The bit about the actual 'escape' to Priest Island is like something out of a spy thriller, absolutely gripping stuff!

It also tells us what the two fraudsters did after they were released from prison.

#15 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 21:30

Me too! I started reading last night, and couldn't stop until my eyes told me to in the wee hours, and after a short night and a long day wasted at work, I finished off as soon as I got home! Rounded it off with a bit of online sight-seeing of Ullapool and surroundings, very nice. :)

Edited by Michael Ferner, 04 January 2014 - 21:32.

#16 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:20

Just read the first 13 chapters it would appear John Bellord might have had some racing experience, mysteriously the spelling mistakes mentioned in post 2 have corrected themselves :confused:

Thanks to Bob & Twinny for identifying Clive Baker :up:

#17 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:58

mysteriously the spelling mistakes mentioned in post 2 have corrected themselves :confused:

They were there! The website was updated on 4th January so someone has read my post and corrected it. I'm waiting for my proofreading fee.  

#18 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:07

Just read the first 13 chapters it would appear John Bellord might have had some racing experience, mysteriously the spelling mistakes mentioned in post 2 have corrected themselves :confused:

Thanks to Bob & Twinny for identifying Clive Baker :up:

To be fair, this information which identifies the driver as Clive Baker is in Geoff Green's book, where he describes his horror at seeing a photo of Baker depicted as being him - and this is one of the reasons why the programme never aired in the UK, as it was feared that Baker might sue for damages. Apparently, it was too late for the international edition, which had already gone out by the time Green got to see the completed programme and was able to bring the mistake to the programme-maker's attention...

#19 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:15

To be fair, this information which identifies the driver as Clive Baker is in Geoff Green's book, where he describes his horror at seeing a photo of Baker depicted as being him - and this is one of the reasons why the programme never aired in the UK, as it was feared that Baker might sue for damages. Apparently, it was too late for the international edition, which had already gone out by the time Green got to see the completed programme and was able to bring the mistake to the programme-maker's attention...

Yes I saw the you tube clips before reading the book :blush:

Advertisement

#20 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:16

When did Geoff Friswell pass away? I used to enjoy his postings on the Atlantic thread. :(

#21 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:36

2009 according to this linked BRDC web page :(

#22 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 00:59

http://forums.autosp...geoff-friswell/

#23 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 14:51

As long a go as that! thanks guys, looked on Atlantic thread saw no mention of it? :(

#24 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 14:53

Sad to say the forum thread passed me by too.