Lewis Hamilton vs Nico Rosberg 2014

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4016 replies to this topic

#1 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:40

5cc3ba8caafe11e3a53212c7eaf3a6f9_8.jpg

Very evenly matched on long run pace this morning, Nico saying he's having difficulty with the break by wire system.

IMO its going to be a tenth at most between them in qualifying.

Advertisement

#2 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:46

screw the racing ....I'm here just to give grief to the mods :p

#3 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:48

Closer than people think. 

This is going to sound like a cliche but it's going to be a Senna v Prost season; the ultra fast driver vs the perrenial thinker.

#4 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:49

Great looking crash helmets from both of them.

I just hope they have the machinery to compete with RBR for the whole season. 

#5 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:56

Watching the people get lairy
Is not very pretty I tell thee
Walking through town is quite scary
And not very sensible either
A friend of a friend he got beaten
He looked the wrong way at a policeman
Would never have happened to Smeaton
And old Leodiensian

I predict a riot, I predict a riot
I predict a riot, I predict a riot

Anyways. Lewis looking strong after spending FP1 in the shed  :smoking: 

#6 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:58

I think if Lewis will draw first blood.

#7 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:02

I have to give it to the Merc guys for their helmets, stunning. (though I hate the big monster "halo" it ruins LH's helmet a bit)

Are they one offs?

#8 meister

meister

• 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:05

I think lewis will dominate. He is more settled in the team , and will consistently close to his best.

#9 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:13

I have to give it to the Merc guys for their helmets, stunning. (though I hate the big monster "halo" it ruins LH's helmet a bit)

Are they one offs?

Apparently both to stay, after last years confusion with double yellow we now have polar opposites when it comes to colour. 

#10 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:19

I was surprised to hear Nico having fuel issues but no word of it from Lewis (as far as I know).

Popular opinion seemed to be that Nico would be the main man for fuel/tire saving.

Edited by Bartonz20let, 14 March 2014 - 11:20.

#11 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:20

Apparently both to stay, after last years confusion with double yellow we now have polar opposites when it comes to colour. 

Wow, excellent  :D

#12 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:25

0 - 0

0 - 0

anything else doesn't matter  :smoking:

#13 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:30

Hahaha, these threads are always good for a laugh.

#14 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:32

0 - 0

0 - 0

anything else doesn't matter  :smoking:

Yes it does. 

#15 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:32

Closer than people think. 

This is going to sound like a cliche but it's going to be a Senna v Prost season; the ultra fast driver vs the perrenial thinker.

I have to disagree somewhat - Rosberg is definitely a very intelligent and educated young man outside the car, but in a race he hasn't ever shown any brilliant tactical decisions that Lewis is not capable of, he is just patient and almost never makes mistakes. Lewis is I think as smart as Nico when it comes to racing but can sometimes get impatient and his performance is a bit more unpredictable (both ways). Rosberg is also (imho) overall very close to Hamilton in speed, so not such a contrast like we had with Prost/Senna. Then again these guys evolve and the rules have changed a lot, so maybe this year it will be like you say, who knows :)

#16 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:36

I hope Nico makes it incredibly difficult for Hamilton all season but with Lewis coming out on top. I like seeing a good inter team battle and I have a feeling if the Mercedes remains competitive and holds off the others in the development race, we will have a hell of a fight between these two. :)

#17 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Lewis will dominate Rosberg. Why?

He performed admirably in a car that was effectively Rosberg's car. This season, Lewis will be racing a car that had been built with his input. 

#18 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Yes it does. 

You didn't read the thread before, and the famous guy, who was saying it every week in and out, crunching the numbers, to get it in the right mood   ;)

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:43

He performed admirably in a car that was effectively Rosberg's car. This season, Lewis will be racing a car that had been built with his input.

This 'its so and so's car' thing is really massively overrated. I think Lewis will do better this season because he's got a car that apparently drives very well and doesn't have race trim issues. It will be more consistent from day to day and from race weekend to race weekend. This would help anybody, but I think it'll take some of the variance out the equation and make it a more straight 'who is quicker' battle as the two probably wont have much competition from the other teams.

Advertisement

#20 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:46

I don't think we'll know anything until after Q3 and the race.

Practice is practice, lets wait and see. :)

#21 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:50

This 'its so and so's car' thing is really massively overrated. I think Lewis will do better this season because he's got a car that apparently drives very well and doesn't have race trim issues. It will be more consistent from day to day and from race weekend to race weekend. This would help anybody, but I think it'll take some of the variance out the equation and make it a more straight 'who is quicker' battle as the two probably wont have much competition from the other teams.

I agree to an extent but I also think (car excluded) that being settled in the team, with his surroundings and having forged relationships with people will help bring out the best in Lewis, I'm not saying Lewis is over sensitive, I would expect that to benefit anyone in any walk of life.

I think what you could be seeing from Kimi at the moment is an acclimatisation process similar to what Lewis had to endure last year.

#22 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:08

I think the races are likely to be quite fluid, with a lot going on for the drivers in terms of getting all the technicalities right. The engineers will of course be advising on that front, but there is potential for frustrations to surface if the driver doesn't get on with that kind of thing. It isn't going to be acceptable or effective the tell the team to "shut up and let me drive", let's put it that way.

#23 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:20

I think the races are likely to be quite fluid, with a lot going on for the drivers in terms of getting all the technicalities right. The engineers will of course be advising on that front, but there is potential for frustrations to surface if the driver doesn't get on with that kind of thing. It isn't going to be acceptable or effective the tell the team to "shut up and let me drive", let's put it that way.

Dont think any driver will be doing that this year .... there will be new problems, that we have not foreseen as yet. 

I dont think anyone knows how things are going to play out over the course of the season (even the folks in the teams) .

Edited by jjcale, 14 March 2014 - 12:38.

#24 Solari12

Solari12

• 145 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:35

It will be close this year, Nico already showed last year that he's no slouch, but Lewis will end up ahead of him eventually.

#25 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:45

Welcome Solari12, it will swing between them like last year . With more car variables between them outside there control. It can be hard for 2 cars in the same team to be running efficiently on a weekend for some reason (last year also)

#26 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:48

I don't see Lewis being beaten.  Despite many in the press tipping Nico, Lewis is rarely (1/6) beaten by his team mate.

#27 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:54

Impressive FP2 for Lewis after no running in the morning, he looks happy and comfortable. Hopefully the whole team can get through the rest of the weekend without any issues.

#28 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:04

Very interested to see how the next chapter of Rosberg vs Hamilton goes. I'm expecting it once again to be close and competitive between them. I think Hamilton will outperform Rosberg by a small margin this year but who actually finishes ahead in the standings could come down to reliability more than performance. I hope that's not the case, especially if it's for the WDC.

#29 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:08

I thought he had no technical background unlike Nico Rosberg? :stoned:

#30 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:17

Ham to win Melbourne, Rosberg the championship.

#31 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:18

Quite the contrary, I think every driver will have moments of frustration, they all do.

How much is selected for broadcast is a different story ;) 

#32 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:25

lewis seems very comfortable in the car,unlike last year.ppl need to understand that what we saw last year was lewis doing what he could in a car he was never happy with.now tho he seems happy with this car already,so lewis will be alot stronger compared to last year.i dont think itll be as close.

#33 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:27

Your little digs at Lewis are quite pedulant but funny, oh Glen  :lol:

#34 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:29

Some drivers let it affect them, some don't. That could be one of the differences that we see.

#35 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:30

that was once,and when lewis was trying to keep webber behind him.they gave him information at the wrong time.he needed that information after webber got past him,not before.thats why he asked for it when webber got past him,coz thats when his race changed.and many drivers have done the same thing.i remember kimi saying more or less the same thing.

#36 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:32

Your little digs at Lewis are quite pedulant but funny, oh Glen  :lol:

We will see how this season goes. He does let his emotions get in the way some times. That's not me making him do that - that is what he does. Maybe you disagree? Do you think he didn't express frustrations over the radio last year?

#37 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:34

5cc3ba8caafe11e3a53212c7eaf3a6f9_8.jpg

Very evenly matched on long run pace this morning, Nico saying he's having difficulty with the break by wire system.

IMO its going to be a tenth at most between them in qualifying.

still i rise on lewis helmet is a tupac song.he is a fan.

#38 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:35

lewis seems very comfortable in the car,unlike last year.ppl need to understand that what we saw last year was lewis doing what he could in a car he was never happy with.now tho he seems happy with this car already,so lewis will be alot stronger compared to last year.i dont think itll be as close.

Its weird though because ive been watching Lewis's interviews and he hasn't specifically said what aspects of the car suit him yet i.e the FRIC.Braking.Oversteer etc All he's said is that " He's comftable " Maybe those will be confirmed with more inseason interviews/articles. Mind you neither has Rosberg or alot of the others, i guess there just keeping their cards close to the chest at the moment.

#39 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:40

If Lewis wins this years championship as an emotionally unstable, petulant halfwit.... Then it must go down as the greatest WDC ever!

Advertisement

#40 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:42

We will see how this season goes. He does let his emotions get in the way some times. That's not me making him do that - that is what he does. Maybe you disagree? Do you think he didn't express frustrations over the radio last year?

I'm not gonna reply again after this on this subject because it will just become circular but unless you have all the radio comms you have no idea how it compares to the other divers reactions to similar situations, the argument/your opinion is based on a few scraps of info that probably make up less that 0.1% of what is said over all teams radios across the season. Its like saying England is as hot as Egypt based on one days comparison.  

#41 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:42

Its weird though because ive been watching Lewis's interviews and he hasn't specifically said what aspects of the car suit him yet i.e the FRIC.Braking.Oversteer etc All he's said is that " He's comftable " Maybe those will be confirmed with more inseason interviews/articles. Mind you neither has Rosberg or alot of the others, i guess there just keeping their cards close to the chest at the moment.

Lauda has said that the FRICS was too much. With fly-by-wire breaking - then that's defo another headache not needed.

#42 Solari12

Solari12

• 145 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:46

Indeed time will tell, as things stand now he's not doing all too bad now is he? Its racing what did you expect?

If you would actually listen too live teamradios on SkyF1 you would know that these things come with racing and every team has these conversatios. It's just that Mr.HAM can not even take a sneeze without trolls like you jumping all over it. :lol: I see a pattern here... :drunk:

Edited by Solari12, 14 March 2014 - 14:55.

#43 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:49

Oh no i agree to some extent especially in Hungary when he got told to put a certain setting on but said " the car's fine, just let me drive" Thats just how he is . For obvious reasons that type of talk can't fly this season. Their will be vital information between driver and engineer . In other ways , the people that have listened to the pit channel said he wasn't that bad but due to those FOM ***** editing things it conveys a negative attidude on him (other drivers also) Its how they create drama and plaster it on the media circuit. His emotions are what makes him the driver that he is, i do think he will tone it down this year though.

#44 ZionLH

ZionLH

• 768 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:53

Lauda has said that the FRICS was too much. With fly-by-wire breaking - then that's defo another headache not needed.

Cheers Maverick gives a reason why Rosberg (interview) is struggling abit with it , i ain't heard from Lewis though. 

#45 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:53

I think it will be close.

Sometimes Lewis will be faster, sometimes Nico will be faster - which is exactly what the refreshingly honest Lewis predicted yesterday and its exactly the way it has been between them since their karting days so I've not got a good reason to predict anything else.

Who will come out on top? Very difficult one. Who will want it more? Will the team affect things? Who will be more consistent? Who will prefer the car characteristics? Will Lewis raise his game to another level when it matters? Will Rosberg better master the strategic approach to racing? Who will enjoy the better luck? Who will make more mistakes?

Gut feeling, Hamilton just will shade it. 

#46 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:54

I actually think it makes him appealing. He is like Mansell in a hell of a lot of ways.

What I don't do though is just deny that this characteristic exists, like it isn't allowable for him to have any flaw.

I think it might be fair to say that Nico is a little too cool and dispassionate - although this year in particular that might be a good thing.

#47 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:55

From Amus ( google traduction)

The analysis of the race simulations revealed that Nico Rosberg with a round cut of 1.33,9 minutes led the field. Closely followed by Lewis Hamilton with 1.34,2 minutes. Sebastian Vettel reeled off two long runs. One with the soft tires, which resulted in a time of 1.34,6 minutes on average. On the medium-mixing of the world champion drove 1.34,8 seconds on average.

But while Rosberg complained of difficulty in meeting the required fuel consumption ("More difficult than I thought"), told Red Bull team boss Christian Horner: "We had no problems with the consumption  But we don't have yet as much power as Mercedes.. "Niki Lauda moved his Kapperl straight and presented dryly: ". Anyone who drives faster, needs more gasoline"

Lewis complains about traffic i expect him that could have hurt his average lap times. My prediction Lewis to beat Rosberg both in quali and race this weekend :smoking:

#48 Yenool

Yenool

• 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 14:57

I wouldn't under estimate Rosberg I think he can match Hamilton...... if Merc totally dominate the season then the drivers title will be between these two and it could come down to who gets lucky/unlucky with reliability, penalties etc........ or even who is most hooked up at the final race!

There was really not a lot between them last year and I think I'm correct in saying Rosberg got more DNFs than Lewis? 

Edited by Yenool, 14 March 2014 - 15:01.

#49 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:05

There was really not a lot between them last year and I think I'm correct in saying Rosberg got more DNFs than Lewis? 

Mechanical DNF's? Yes

Although in terms on luck they were fairly even, as there was a huge swing of points when Lewis's tyre blew up at Silverstone whilst leading.

#50 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:05

It will be close, Hamilton will come out on top unless he bears the brunt of reliability issues. I expect the Mercedes to be the top team all season, and expect them both to finish in the top 3 in the WDC. Qualifying about 50 / 50, races about 60 / 40 with Hamilton on top.

Several races the difference between them will be whoever qualified best.

:cool: