CoolBreeze

• 2,461 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:34

Just shows how smart the FIA are..

#3 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:37

How close does his head actually come being hit? The perspective on that photo is awkward.

#4 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,010 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:43

Could they force a major redesign mid season?

But isn't this the problem of any low nose? 

#5 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,752 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:52

Ass kisser.

#6 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:56

Well the perspective is playing some tricks if you look closer (I think williams slid onto chassis, but Kobayashi's head wasn't as close to the wheel as it may seem). Point is the caterham certainly dived under Massa's car, so I guess some concerns designers have came close to confirmation in the first race already.

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:01

Given that the photograph was taken straight from the front, that means the photographer was standing behind the run-off area.

The photo was therefore taken with what I'd guess would be at least a 300/400mm telephoto lens, and those will always pull things together.

That makes it hard to say how close Kobayashi really was to Massa, though of course the 'submarining' that Newey talked about is a potential problem.

See: Perspective distortion (photography)

Contra-zoom_aka_dolly_zoom_animation.gif

Edited by Nonesuch, 17 March 2014 - 10:03.

#8 crbassassin

crbassassin

• 441 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:09

Just shows how smart the FIA are..

https://twitter.com/...4/photo/1/large

#9 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:15

The low nose was a curious decision altogether.  Some say it was for rear impacts and some say it was for side impacts, but for side impacts it doesn't need to be THAT low, and for rear impacts it's most often tyre-to-tyre contact that flips the car behind up.

And given that the car has a 'rear impact structure' how is it not self-evident that the front impact structure should line up with it?   :confused:

Not to mention front-to-front impacts where the low nose is going to make it more likely that a tyre of one car will roll up the ramp and be guided into the face of the other driver?

It's weird.

#10 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:01

101827-170312-f1-crash.jpg

webber2_12_682x400_1074305a.jpg

Rosberg-crash-Abu-Dhabi-2012.jpg

Thing is It's a lot better than car's launching like this.

I think you also have to take into account that KOB was riding the floor after lossing his front right anyway so that did aid the car to get under Massa.

#11 DS27

DS27

• 4,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:06

How close it came on this particular occasion is not really relevant. Anyone can see that it is possible, and that's what matters.

The decision to implement regs that have resulted in low noses is baffling. Surely aligning the crash structures would makes sense.

#12 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:22

webber2_12_682x400_1074305a.jpg
Rosberg-crash-Abu-Dhabi-2012.jpg

Thing is It's a lot better than car's launching like this.

I think you also have to take into account that KOB was riding the floor after lossing his front right anyway so that did aid the car to get under Massa.

How is a driver getting his head crushed after rear ending another competitor better than being launched in the air? Don't both carry significant dangers?

Edited by SR388, 17 March 2014 - 12:23.

#13 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:23

All the launches I can remember were from the rear wheels flicking the front of the car up and then the air catching underneath it. I can't remember a crash where a nose made contact with the rear crash structure and then went airborne.

So if it's the side impact protection, hows about this for a crazy idea, mandate some kind of verticle plane at the front of the car rather than a freaking harpoon shaped crash structure?

#14 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:29

How is a driver getting his head crushed after rear ending another competitor better than being launched in the air? Don't both carry significant dangers?

There was a lot of talk about danger to the head after the Webber flip and then the Wheldon fatal. 

But there have been MANY massive aerials into fencing in Indy with drivers getting away with it. If burying under gearboxes becomes a common thing you'd have to say it's guaranteed to produce a serious injury.

#15 techspeed

techspeed

• 373 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:13

Just curious, how many drivers had their head crushed in rear ending another car when all the cars had lower noses than we have now?

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:32

Just curious, how many drivers had their head crushed in rear ending another car when all the cars had lower noses than we have now?

...and with the driver's head much closer to the front than now too.

All the launches I can remember were from the rear wheels flicking the front of the car up and then the air catching underneath it. I can't remember a crash where a nose made contact with the rear crash structure and then went airborne.

So if it's the side impact protection, hows about this for a crazy idea, mandate some kind of verticle plane at the front of the car rather than a freaking harpoon shaped crash structure?

Even if you hit square on, if you have a high nose, you'll probably be deflected towards the wheel anyway.

#17 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 13:33

Picture in OP doesn't provide us with a view to actually judge this.

Look where Wurz's head is. Now that is crazy.

coulthard-wurz-collision-melbourne-2007.

Edited by Lights, 17 March 2014 - 13:35.

#18 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:03

Picture in OP doesn't provide us with a view to actually judge this.

Look where Wurz's head is. Now that is crazy.

coulthard-wurz-collision-melbourne-2007.

This has nothing to do with low or high noses.

#19 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:16

This has nothing to do with low or high noses.

Yep. Damnit. I remembered that differently!

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:18

Crazy theory: racing is always going to be kinda dangerous, everything you do will have unintended effects, so we should just try to make it really safe and hope 20 years since 1994 turns into 40.

#21 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:47

maybe with current car it's easier to submarine from behind due to rear crush structure.

I think set the front nose (tip of crushable structure) and rear crushable structure at the same height is one idea.

#22 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 14:57

I think cars worked as designed in the Koba-Massa incident, it's the perspective which makes it look like Koba's head is about to hit the rear tire, as it's been pointed out. If the "submarine" effect is only going to mean the car hit is going to 'jump' for tiny bit it looks like things work just fine and better than with high noses, but we need to see more incidents, saying anything definitive right now is jumping to conclusions.

#23 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 15:37

...and with the driver's head much closer to the front than now too.

Even if you hit square on, if you have a high nose, you'll probably be deflected towards the wheel anyway.

Yes I guess the narrow nose may contribute to that also, hitting and then deflecting the car down one side or the other.

It would be interesting to hear the FIA answer a simple question like, why is the rear crash structure so bloody narrow?

#24 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,969 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:40

Or the front crash structure ? Would not want to be speared by a Force India, for instance.

#25 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 13:35

Kobayashi's front wheel had already been torn off from hitting Raikkonen, so his nose would have been scraping the ground by the time he ran into the back of Massa.

Vertically aligning the front and rear crash structures is theoretically effective, until one car's point of contact has an altered height. 

#26 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 19:37

I'm not sure if we can ever "win" this one. There were problems with the high nose ie launching and T-boning, so obviously, the rule change to lower the noses but are they now too low? As we saw with Kobayashi submarining under Massa, it has caused another problem and that's the thing. No matter what height the nose is, there will always be an incident that highlights a different danger and that has always been the nature of motorsport. It has over time become safer but ultimately it can never ever be 100% safe and while we have to accept that, the authorities should still strive to make it as safe as possible.

Perhaps the height of the nose should be somewhere between the high nose and what we have now and of yet an even bigger cross sectional area to maximise the impact area without launching or submarining.

Kobayahi's accident was exacerbated by knocking his right front corner off against Raikonen before hitting Massa but equally the car could have been launched after his right front wheel rode over the top of Raikonen's left rear. It could have been Martin Brundle all over again, only a couple of corners earlier.

#27 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:14

New nose "submarining" in Melbourne collision?

479020987.jpg

#28 jrwb6e

jrwb6e

• 178 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:31

Perhaps next year there can be a compromise between the high and low nose.  Make it just high enough not to slip under a diffuser and that eliminates the submarining.  There are risks to either extreme and neither is necessarily safer than the other.

#29 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:37

Big fail.

#30 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:39

F1 is dangerous, accidents happen. It's impossible to account for every type of accident whereby a low or high nose may have prevented a particular scenario. I don't remember any discussion about the safety of the Brawn nose for instance.

#31 917k

• 2,964 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:41

Hit anything up the backside at 100 mph + and you get some lift. Less force to Massa in this case, too.

#32 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:41

Wow! ... Newey was right .... again.

#33 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:44

Wow! ... Newey was right .... again.

Was he? One accident (one race at that) determines the verdict?

#34 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:52

Already the third thread about this IIRC. Merge with http://forums.autosp...-drivers-safety ?

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 19:54

I'm yet to see exactly how far up the Caterham's nose the Williams went, and if it was actually anywhere near Koba's head. For the moment I'd still rather see this than an airborne car, and no matter what you do the car at the back has to go somewhere. Deflecting left or right would maybe be the best case, though that could result in a ricochet into other cars. Hitting square on and not going anywhere could result in spinal injuries from greater acceleration, but would be extremely difficult to achieve. Even left/right deflection would be pretty tough.

#36 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:02

Surely it's stunningly obvious that when cars have front impact structures and rear impact structures they ought to line up.   Then they absorb the energy of the speed change, by deforming.

#37 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:13

Then they absorb the energy of the speed change, by deforming.

Actually, I found it odd that the 'pronged' portion of the Caterham stayed fairly intact...

1200x.jpg

Edited by fer312t, 24 March 2014 - 20:13.

#38 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:17

Actually, I found it odd that the 'pronged' portion of the Caterham stayed fairly intact...

Wow yes.  Massive underrun,  The carefully crash-tested nose wasn't engaged at all.

#39 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:37

I wouldn't expect the nose cone crash structure to look any different however high the nose cone design is.

It's designed to fully deform in an impact with a solid barrier, not in a a relatively soft rear impact with a car moving in the same direction.

I'd rather see a little submarining than another crash like this:

Edited by johnmhinds, 24 March 2014 - 20:41.

Advertisement

#40 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:45

I wouldn't expect the nose cone crash structure to look any different however high the nose cone design is.

It's designed to fully deform in an impact with a solid barrier, not in a a relatively soft rear impact with a car moving in the same direction.

The FIA nose test is only 33 mph in fact.

#41 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 424 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:56

I'd rather see a little submarining than another crash like this [snip - picture]

Or Webber's 2010 Valencia crash for that matter.

I suppose the danger is that if there is a larger speed differential at impact a driver could get a diffuser in the face, at least with the regs regarding the rear crash structure as they are currently.

#42 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 20:58

I'd rather see a little submarining than another crash like this:

Hmmm, a launch with the huge runoffs these days or having a diffuser hit you in the face? I'd disagree...

#43 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 424 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:04

Hmmm, a launch with the huge runoffs these days or having a diffuser hit you in the face? I'd disagree...

You are right about run offs, but once the car is airborne, surely the driver becomes merely a passenger and where he and his car end up are in the lap of the gods, so to speak. To my mind neither accident is preferable or acceptable.

The FIA dropped a clanger on this one it seems. They need to back to the drawing board and sort out the crash structure, to prevent a diffuser in the face.

As an aside could anything be learned from the changes made to indycars?

Edited by Arry2k, 24 March 2014 - 21:04.

#44 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:17

There´s no way the chasing car will end up that deep under the car in front. It´s just over-reaction, I bet no more than 15 cm of the car went under the rear of Massa´s Williams.

A launch can happen anywhere, and also end up anywhere. Here you have two very dangerous ones in a minute. In both cases driver´s head went closer to stuff than in this crash. Not only that, it wasn´t too far of taking down a marshall´s post or the car going into a wall.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 24 March 2014 - 21:22.

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:28

Surely it's stunningly obvious that when cars have front impact structures and rear impact structures they ought to line up.   Then they absorb the energy of the speed change, by deforming.

How do you expect two narrow structures to line up in anything other than the most perfect nose to tail accident? Are you suggesting full width bumpers?

[pic snipped]

Looks like the Williams barely cleared the chassis step.

#46 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:32

I'd say by the end of the season, we'll have seen more near misses with drivers heads from submarining than takeoffs. As you say takeoffs happen but they won't be more likely this year than others, uncovered wheels are the cause, not noses.

#47 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:41

There will always be a **** happens possibility of crash for a given set of rules. I'm not more worried now than I was last year or ten years ago.

#48 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:46

XPB_Ferrari-3-300x211.jpg

Have a look at the rear bumper in this image poached from scabrs.

You don't need to be Adrian Newey to tell that the low noses will dig in.

Kudos to the rule makers!

Edited by saudoso, 24 March 2014 - 21:47.

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 22:14

Does anyone have any example of a driver getting a face full of gearbox from back in the days when noses were lower and shorter than they are now?

I'm yet to be convinced that there's any significant extra risk here. In Australia we saw a pretty high speed differential already. You'd have to have a huge difference to get that far under the car in front, and then it would probably be bad whatever happened.

#50 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 22:16

XPB_Ferrari-3-300x211.jpg

Have a look at the rear bumper in this image poached from scabrs.

You don't need to be Adrian Newey to tell that the low noses will dig in.

Kudos to the rule makers!

The front and rear crash structures aren't designed to stop or slow down car vs car accidents, they are only designed and tested for their effectiveness in accidents involving a barrier.

As far as I know no F1 car vs F1 car crash testing has ever been done by the FIA.