Photo
- - - - -

British Grand Prix FP1: First female driver in 22 years, Predictions?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:43

Suzi Wolff is driving in the official practice session tomorrow morning for Williams. She's in what is possibly the 2nd best car on the grid... Where do you think she'll be? She knows the circuit too which works in her favour.

I hope she doesn't crash it, it would be perfect for all the usual lame jokes on the subject. I'd love to see her quicker than the other Williams car... But realistically I reckon top 10 for her?

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:44

Its hard to crash a car at Silverstone nowadays.

And in terms of where she'll be, it largely depends on what sort of program they put her on. She could be anywhere from 1st to 20th.

#3 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:48

As above, it really depends on what program she's on. I hope there's no mechanical gremlins and she gets a full test, I've no doubt she'll do a pretty good job as she did in the young driver tests. I think it's important not to see her as a female driver but just as a Williams test driver. It saddens me that often the question seems to be posed as 'can a woman be any good?' rather than 'is Susie Wolff any good?'

#4 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,119 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:51

A decent result would be to beat the Marussias, Caterhams and Saubers.  Couldn't expect too much more...

Oh, and Maldonado, too, of course :lol:

Edited by maximilian, 03 July 2014 - 19:51.

#5 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,446 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:40

She won't do anything stupid. She won't be absolutely dog slow as it's a pretty good car. She'll get hailed as the female Ayrton Senna if she's reasonably close to the pace which, given the fact that it's free practice and they'll be experimenting with setups and fuel levels, is perfectly possible. But if we must have a token women driver, couldn't we at least have one who has shown a spark of talent, rather than one who has never won a single race in 100+ attempts and appears to have got the job through her personal connections. There may well be women drivers in F1 and at the front too, in future years, in fact I'd be bloody surprised if there weren't. But I'm pretty sure one won't be Susie. We've seen enough of her in different equipment to know that. You don't start winning races in F1 these days.

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:41

I hope Williams take a bit of fuel out and let her have a real go.

#7 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:45

My first prediction was:

Someone will make sexist joke.

Good job Sergio.

#8 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:49

As above, it really depends on what program she's on. I hope there's no mechanical gremlins and she gets a full test, I've no doubt she'll do a pretty good job as she did in the young driver tests. I think it's important not to see her as a female driver but just as a Williams test driver. It saddens me that often the question seems to be posed as 'can a woman be any good?' rather than 'is Susie Wolff any good?'

I think it's important not to see her as a female driver but just as the girlfriend of a shareholder of Williams.

#9 RuleyRamundo

RuleyRamundo

• 242 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:52

Pole.

#10 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:53

Not good, probably.  How often has she driven a racing car in the past few years?  I've always considered her as part of the package that came with Toto Wolff's involvement, which makes her enduring presence after Toto's departure baffling.  F1 can and should have female drivers, but Susie doesn't have a racing record that indicates at all that she'll be competitive.  Simona de Silvestro's got much more potential, although I fear she's sidetracked that a bit with a dead-end testing gig at Sauber.  

#11 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:57

Top 10 I'd expect given the capability of the Williams. She certainly didn't do too badly in the test she did with the team last year (or was it the year before?).

#12 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:59

It depends on the conditions and what her program is. I doubt she will be going for glory runs.

#13 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,517 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:59

She drove the FW36 at Barcelona back in May so she will be somewhat familiar with the car. Given that it's only a FP1 drive, other than the probable media scrum as she leaves the pits, it probably won't be too interesting.

#14 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:00

Most likely somewhere near the bottom of the time sheet.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:17

I think it's important not to see her as a female driver but just as the girlfriend of a shareholder of Williams.

Good grief, does her husband know about this affair?

#16 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:24

Not good , I don't think. I have no problems with female drivers in F1 , and wish her the best , but I don't want them to get in for good PR , personal connections or money. I'd much rather see them get into F1 because they're good. 

#17 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:27

Good grief, does her husband know about this affair?

Sorry, not interested in F1 cuore.

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:29

Sorry, not interested in F1 cuore.

The giveaway is in the name....... :lol:

#19 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:44

Stick her on a low fuel run, get the headlines, please the sponsors. That's the sensible option.

Advertisement

#20 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,413 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:51

I actually think she'll get a program that will make her look decent. Still that's not a guarantee of being anywhere near the top, but I think she will not embrass herself and place somewhere around 15th place at worst, maybe a top10 if things go well.

Hell, I would go as far as suggesting that Massa will on the other hand, likely get a program that will make his top time tad slower, maybe even slower than Susie.

Edited by Anderis, 03 July 2014 - 21:52.

#21 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:05

She didn't impress in the rookie test here last year, as I recall. As to where she ends up on the timesheets, it doesn't matter, does it? It's a free practice session. The times don't count. Nobody else will be going for a time, with the possible exception of the other non-race drivers.

My prediction is that it will compromise Williams' weekend. I think it's better to run the race drivers in all the sessions. It's a pity that a team that has been able to run so competitively this year is having to sell seat time at its home event. Obviously times are hard.

Somebody on the James Allen site said Bottas (I assume it will be him rather than Massa) can't have any complaints about having to miss FP1 because that's how he got his chance. But he was being seriously evaluated for a race seat, and if he were now expected to make way for a similarly talented driver, perhaps then he couldn't grumble. But in this instance, we're talking about a driver who absolutely, unequivocally doesn't have the credentials to get anywhere near an F1 team's simulator, let alone their actual race car. Bearing in mind we recently had a driver with Mercedes connections signed up for an F1 drive off the back of winning the DTM title, and he couldn't really cut it in F1 and was dropped after two seasons, we might like to bear in mind that Wolff scored four points in six seasons of DTM. She was driving an older car, granted, but there was a reason for that. And it was an older car in which Leicester's Jamie Green managed to get a race win in 2009, on his way to beating Wolff by 27 points to nil over the season in the same car. Is Jamie Green under consideration for an F1 drive?

#22 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:28

The giveaway is in the name....... :lol:

Sorry, not interested in funny boys either.

#23 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:41

Nothing stopping Williams putting her on a qualifying style lap with low fuel, get some headlines. :up:

Some positive headlines would be good for once.

#24 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:50

In equal conditions she'll be around a second per lap off Massa, maybe slightly more. She was never a super fast driver to begin with, throw in a complete lack of F1 experience and no knowledge of the cars and tyres and its ridiculous to expect her to be close.

Edited by Thomas99, 04 July 2014 - 03:51.

#25 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:30

My first prediction was:

Someone will make sexist joke.

Good job Sergio.

Lighten up. He was being cheeky.

I hope they let her give it the full berries on low fuel, will be great publicity if the times are competitive.  :up:

Edited by lbennie, 04 July 2014 - 04:31.

#26 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:08

Good luck to Susie today, I read somewhere that said she would have the same setup and programme as Massa for a direct comparison, don't know how true that is I cant remember where I saw it, I think top ten would be good, she did ok in the FW36 at Barcelona test and didn't embarrass herself.

#27 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:24

Good Brit GP morning y'all!

See you at the live chat :wave:

#28 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,413 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:36

Nothing stopping Williams putting her on a qualifying style lap with low fuel, get some headlines. :up:

Some positive headlines would be good for once.

The problem is, that looking at the young driver test she participated in, she appeared to be more than a second on a lap slower than Juncadella (maybe her program made her look worse, but I doubt), so perhaps even more so off the pace of upper half of the F1 grid drivers. Going in qualifying trim doesn't have to secure an eye-catching time. Unless somebody is going to make a headline of that she wasn't the slowest of them all.

#29 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:02

She's certainly creating discussion. It's already working.

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:15

Stone last.

#31 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:52

I expect 18th place. Ahead of Marussias and Caterhams, behind everyone else.

#32 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:09

I'll never understand why they've built the new start/finish-area. Copse/Maggots/Becketts were amazing opening corners, instead now we have the standard slow combination, and the fast, great Bridge/Priory sequence is lost, too.

Edited by Jovanotti, 04 July 2014 - 08:10.

#33 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:16

I reckon she will do a few laps and record some times, well that is my prediction lol. I think its a nice thing to see and hopefully one day we'll have a female driver who is first choice by a top team. Women don't seem to be taken too seriously in the lower categories unless they bring money and then not enough choose racing as a career. I hope this starts to change and Suzie isn't the last for a long time, good luck to her!  :up:  :)

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:25

I reckon she will do a few laps and record some times, well that is my prediction lol. I think its a nice thing to see and hopefully one day we'll have a female driver who is first choice by a top team. Women don't seem to be taken too seriously in the lower categories unless they bring money and then not enough choose racing as a career.

Which is really bizarre - you'd think a decent female driver would attract lots of publicity, and even the negative would be largely chauvinist. 

I suppose one problem is the most talented female driver in the last 40 years - Desire Wilson - was South African, so there were negative apartheid connotations that prevented her getting the right sponsorship.  And then the ascension of the truly hopeless Giovanna Amati (who went the castiong couch route - sleeping with Niki Lauda and Flavio.  As well as Tommy Byrne.  And, possibly, her teenage kidnapper) probably put women in F1 back decades.

#35 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:27

I'll never understand why they've built the new start/finish-area. Copse/Maggots/Becketts were amazing opening corners, instead now we have the standard slow combination, and the fast, great Bridge/Priory sequence is lost, too.

+1 :up: 

I miss the old layout. :(

#36 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,446 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:36

I don't particularly mind her getting a chance (even if there are 100's of male drivers who deserve it more on merit) because there have been a few tuggers who have got F1 tests for PR reasons over the years, usually for being the "right" nationality. But I really dread all the gushing articles from people who know nothing about the sport implying that Susie is some great talent, only kept back by the nasty sexism of the all-male club of F1...

Edited by billm99uk, 04 July 2014 - 08:36.

#37 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:36

She will drive her laps. 

She will be slower than the other Williams driver

She will post photos on Instagram

She will be happy

#38 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:45

Live forum link: http://live.autospor...tary.php/id/752

#39 uzsjgb

uzsjgb

• 1,085 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:51

Since Wolff is married to one of the shareholders at Williams (her last name might have given you a clue), are you suggesting she is having an affair with another shareholder of Williams?

Or was your post just an attempt at publicly proving to us that you are as ignorant about Formula 1 facts, as you are about women?

Advertisement

#40 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:58

Thanks Johnnie Walker for writing 'John' on the side of Jenson's helmet while his visor is up.

#41 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:17

Since Wolff is married to one of the shareholders at Williams (her last name might have given you a clue), are you suggesting she is having an affair with another shareholder of Williams?

Or was your post just an attempt at publicly proving to us that you are as ignorant about Formula 1 facts, as you are about women?

I think he's sold his shares now.

#42 DS27

DS27

• 4,694 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:19

I think she will finish last or in the gravel, but i'm a sexist pig.

#43 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:21

lol 

:rotfl:  Well done  susie

#44 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:22

After setting a time that's half a second faster than the mercedes', she'll get the racing seat of felipe and go on to win the race. 

#45 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:22

LOOOL :rotfl:

#46 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:24

What happened?  :p

#47 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:26

What happened?  :p

oil pressure

#48 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:27

This joke has been done. Married, girlfriend, partner... I don't give a s***. In case your superior intelligence is not enough, I'll tell you my point: she is just doing "a Chilton".

#49 Roscoe

Roscoe

• 136 posts

Issue with the car, but obviously as she's a woman a few have decided it must be her fault.

Bet this crash won't be Felipe's fault though.

#50 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Smart move Felipe.