Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Who will drive for McLaren in 2015?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4047 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will drive for McLaren in 2015? (664 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will drive for McLaren in 2015?

1. Alonso/Button (252 votes [37.95%])

Percentage of vote: 37.95%

2. Alonso/Magnussen (276 votes [41.57%])

Percentage of vote: 41.57%

3. Alonso/Vandoorne (30 votes [4.52%])

Percentage of vote: 4.52%

4. Button/Magnussen (60 votes [9.04%])

Percentage of vote: 9.04%

5. Button/Vandoorne (3 votes [0.45%])

Percentage of vote: 0.45%

6. Magnussen/Vandoorne (10 votes [1.51%])

Percentage of vote: 1.51%

7. Other (33 votes [4.97%])

Percentage of vote: 4.97%

Vote

#1 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:17

Alonso remains a key driver to the 2015 silly season, but what of the key team? McLaren are blessed with the choice of two WDCs and two McLaren young driver protégés. Consequently, up to two F1-calibre drivers may find themselves without a seat next season.

Who will McLaren choose to lead the development of their Honda-powered MP4-30? Two WDCs, two potential WDCs, or a more conventional compromise between the two?

Advertisement

#2 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:20

I'd love to see a alonso v button. Don't know if I'd want to see the vs thread though...

#3 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:22

I'd love to see a alonso v button. 

I 2nd this

Button has been too good lately to ditch. His performance in Qualifying today was strong, as was his performance in Japan. Overall his 2014 campaign has been pretty good.

Alonso's performances speak for themselves. The young guns can wait a year or so.

Edited by sennafan24, 11 October 2014 - 15:33.

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:24

I believe it'll be Alonso/Button, but I want it to be Magnussen/Button, or perhaps I feel they should all be accommodated for because all 4 (including Vandoorne) deserve F1 seats.

If Alonso only wants a one year deal then they could perhaps send Magnussen to Force India for a year, or even relegate him to reserve driver, and then pair him with Vandoorne in 2016, what a great battle that would be.

4 very good drivers, only 2 seats.

Magnussen is growing as a driver and no one deserves to be resigned to the F1 retirement home after one season.

Button is too good to willingly get rid of, he has plenty left in the tank.

How can you say no to Alonso?

Vandoorne is a wonderful talent, and thankfully another year in GP2 will do him a world of good, taking him out of the equation for now.

Edited by TomNokoe, 11 October 2014 - 15:26.

#5 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:30

I'd like to see Alonso and Button. 

If Fred is going elsewhere, then Button and Magnussen would work just fine

#6 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:31

Alonso remains the key driver to the 2015 silly season, but what of the key team? McLaren are blessed with the choice of two WDCs and two McLaren young driver protégés. Consequently, up to two F1-calibre drivers may find themselves without a seat next season.

Who will McLaren choose to lead the development of their Honda-powered MP4-30? Two WDCs, two potential WDCs, or a more conventional compromise between the two?

I disagree that Alonso is the key to silly season. I think Hamilton is and once he, most probably, signs an extension with Mercedes, the rest of pieces, including Alonso, will fall into place.

At this point this whole matter has become so confusing that any of the poll alternatives could be true so I'm going to go with what I think would be more interesting: FA and JB.

#7 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:32

I don't claim any crystal ball here - I just hope Ron sticks to his 'best drivers available' line.

I'd love to see Button vs Alonso - not that I want to see Kevin M out of F1.

#8 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:36

I think both drivers should stay. Alonso can take his year at Lotus/at home and wait for the Mercedes seat, if that's what he wants.

#9 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:38

I disagree that Alonso is the key to silly season. I think Hamilton is and once he, most probably, signs an extension with Mercedes, the rest of pieces, including Alonso, will fall into place.

At this point this whole matter has become so confusing that any of the poll alternatives could be true so I'm going to go with what I think would be more interesting: FA and JB.

Precisely. Not sure why a whole bunch of folks think that FA is the key. At the moment, even FA is awaiting Hammy's next move

#10 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:40

I hope it will be Button/Alonso.

#11 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:41

For any of their available drivers to lose out would be a real shame, they might be able you find a drive for one of them somewhere but I can't see how they'd get 2 in. Fairly sure someone is going to lose out

#12 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:44

Are McLaren Honda going to need the best race drivers, or the best development drivers?

It's a new game next year, a completely new powertrain, no-one else will be running the Honda, so the only feedback is going to come from the the drivers that McLaren has.

Personally, I think that that would favour an Alonso/Button combination, the experience to give feedback, with Magnusson/VanDoorne in the testing team.

However, that's coming from me - I like Jenson, I like Fred - I like Kevin too, but less than the others.

Unfortunately, I don't think like Ron, I don't have the data that Ron does, I don't have the contracts that Ron does.  I think it will be Alonso/Magnusson next year.

#13 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:45

Sad as it is, I think they're going to give Button the heave-ho and I think it is the right thing to do. Button's having a great season but Magnussen's only 22 - he's an investment in the future. Then again, they got rid of their last young purchase (Perez) so nothing can be certain.

#14 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:45

If Fernando goes to McLaren, I think it will be ALO/MAG but I want Button to be honest.

#15 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:46

I hope Kev gets another year. In a time without testing cutting a rookie after one season is completely the wrong approach.

#16 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:50

I voted Alonso/Magnussen but my heart really wants it to be Alonso/Button.

#17 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 237 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:56

I would like to see either Alonso/Button or Button/Vandoorne. Magnussen has been my biggest disappointment of the season. 

#18 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,455 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:56

Vandoorne is a wonderful talent, and thankfully another year in GP2 will do him a world of good, taking him out of the equation for now.

It seems to be a waste of time and money to me. He's already proven that he has what it takes as a debutant, both in F3.5 and GP2, so what more can racing in junior series serve him? He's the same age as Magnussen - unless he's driving F1 cars regularly next season, in whatever capacity, it's stunting his growth more than anything.

If I may also put my moderation hat on for a moment, this isn't a thread to delve into the technicalities of who might actually hold the key to the driver market outside of McLaren's own choices.

#19 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 15:59

You think? I'm a firm believer of not rushing anything, although look at Kvyat this year. He'd be 24 by the start of the 2016 season, which does all of a sudden seem quite old by today's standards.

Advertisement

#20 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:03

I'm with Ron, I see no reason to change. Much as I'd like to see JB v Fred, I think he's an expensive headf***.

Edited by Lazy, 11 October 2014 - 16:04.

#21 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:13

I'm with Ron, I see no reason to change. Much as I'd like to see JB v Fred, I think he's an expensive headf***.

Good point, well made :)

#22 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:15

Button/Mag it will be IMHO. Drivers next season are of  less importance. It's going to be a transitional year for Mc, they will be way better off with the current lineup.

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,756 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:31

I'd love to see a alonso v button. Don't know if I'd want to see the vs thread though...

It would never be as bad as any Hamilton vs thread is.

#24 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,650 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:36

Other.

Hamilton / Magnussen

Button out.

Alonso retired.

Edit: forgot about Merc- Bottas gets the nod.

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 11 October 2014 - 16:41.

#25 linttu

linttu

• 60 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:37

I hope McLaren keeps its current drivers.

Kevin will improve in his 2nd year and Button has earned his spot!

Also Alonso and McLaren/Dennis feels like a bad idea..

#26 P123

P123

• 23,967 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:47

Button/Alonso would be a good pairing. In that eventuality I'd still like to see McLaren hang on to Magnussen, whether as test driver or loaned out to race with a team lower down the grid for a season or two.

Edited by P123, 11 October 2014 - 16:47.

#27 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,871 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:57

I hope Alonso/Button

I think/fear Alonso/Magnussen

I suspect Vettel/Alonso. Still.

#28 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:00

I'm hoping for Alonso/Button with Kevin as reserve ready to take over in 2016 if either of them don't perform.

#29 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:01

I want Alonso/Button. I voted Alonso/Magnussen, because I don't trust Ron Dennis.

#30 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:04

It would never be as bad as any Hamilton vs thread is.

Well that's cursed it. ...

#31 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:09

I think there was even a quote saying that Alonso is able to choose his teammate and I think the best copilot for him is Button.

Also Button on a short term should be faster than the younger options and no one wants to see what happened with Lewis and Alonso again.

#32 derstatic

derstatic

• 714 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:13

Alonso & Button would be a very very solid lineup for McLaren Honda. Magnussen is young and a year learning from these two champs could do him a ton of good unless he can be placed in smaller team for one or two years. I can't see Button having more than one or maximum two more years in him before retirement.

#33 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:14

Precisely. Not sure why a whole bunch of folks think that FA is the key. At the moment, even FA is awaiting Hammy's next move

I have absolutely no idea why people would even think this. Hamilton is under contract for next year and it's clear things have cooled down at Merc quite a bit since Spa so the chances of either driver walking out are slim to none IMO. As for an extension, Hamilton has repeatedly said that he'll wait until the season's over before thrashing that out and I see it as being very likely that it could end up being some time around the middle of next year before it's sorted. I don't think there is a "key" to this years market, McLaren have the choice of 3 drivers for 2 seats (assuming the teams wont be running 3 cars next year), Ferrari will almost certainly go for Vettel/Raikkonen and the remaining unannounced seats will depend on sponsorship.

Button/Alonso would probably be most exciting but I wouldn't want to see Magnussen kicked out though, he's clearly shown the potential this year to grow into an excellent driver.

#34 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:35

I believe it'll be Alonso/Button, but I want it to be Magnussen/Button, or perhaps I feel they should all be accommodated for because all 4 (including Vandoorne) deserve F1 seats.

If Alonso only wants a one year deal then they could perhaps send Magnussen to Force India for a year, or even relegate him to reserve driver, and then pair him with Vandoorne in 2016, what a great battle that would be.

4 very good drivers, only 2 seats.

Magnussen is growing as a driver and no one deserves to be resigned to the F1 retirement home after one season.

Button is too good to willingly get rid of, he has plenty left in the tank.

How can you say no to Alonso?

McLaren did, and now so has Ferrari and Red Bull

#35 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:37

I think there was even a quote saying that Alonso is able to choose his teammate and I think the best copilot for him is Button.

Also Button on a short term should be faster than the younger options and no one wants to see what happened with Lewis and Alonso again.

Alonso & Button would be a very very solid lineup for McLaren Honda. Magnussen is young and a year learning from these two champs could do him a ton of good unless he can be placed in smaller team for one or two years. I can't see Button having more than one or maximum two more years in him before retirement.

But will Button accepted being a number 2 driver?

#36 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:38

I want to see Button and Alonso at Mac next year. Though judging by JB's post race interview on the BBC, his downbeat demeanour suggests he's been given his marching orders.

#37 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:43

I want to see Button and Alonso at Mac next year. Though judging by JB's post race interview on the BBC, his downbeat demeanour suggests he's been given his marching orders.

I thought that. Magnussen looked a bit forlorn too. Maybe they've both been given the boot.

#38 Skizo

Skizo

• 589 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:45

Why would he be a N2?

#39 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:54

Well IF he gets beaten by enough times will he accepted it?

Advertisement

#40 Skizo

Skizo

• 589 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 18:04

Well IF he gets beaten by enough times will he accepted it?

Well with Hamilton it happened,got beaten in row 3-4 times,and he can stand up and win.After 2010 he did not get into the N2 position.I'm sure he is not happy when got beaten,but he keep going and Nothing's gonna stop him

:cool:

#41 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 18:23

I hope McLaren extends with Button, and I can't see how they can not. He's been better than Magnussen - yes, Magnussen is a rookie, but I just feel he should've shown more potential than he has, to merit being picked over Button. 

I think Alonso has a contract outlined and I expect him to join. 

(…so I voted Button & Alonso, and that would be a great pairing.)

#42 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,390 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 18:25

I voted Alonso/Magnussen

#43 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 18:39

Kvyat has outshone Mag in inferior machinery in my opinion. Unfortunately, Mag hasn't impressed me. I want Button / Alonso, but that's not to say Mag hasn't got a future - I just think he needs a lower profile seat for a year to develop. I like his temperament and I think he'll get faster and more consistent. For now though, Mac NEED quality and experience because they are up against it.

#44 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 18:44

Sometimes I wonder if we are judging Magnussen subconsciously by the Hamilton rookie yardstick. 

#45 derstatic

derstatic

• 714 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 19:24

He might have to. He's not in a position to choose his teammate and Honda wants a BIG name and apparently Button is not big enough for them despite his qualities and WDC. Anyhow, Button and Alonso are not that young anymore but would be a terrific pairing for Honda in their first season. Big talents, tonnes of experience, not going to throw a single point away with stupid mistakes and also good at developing cars. Magnussen has been doing fine for a rookie but I think it would do him good to gain experience in a smaller team. I don't think many fans would miss either Sabuer driver for example. K. Mag and Vergne at Sauber would be a massive improvement IMO.

#46 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,400 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 19:30

I love JB but I think he's gone. I hope I'm wrong.

#47 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 19:31

Sometimes I wonder if we are judging Magnussen subconsciously by the Hamilton rookie yardstick. 

He's done really well for a rookie regardless of what Hamilton did. Neither of the McLaren drivers deserve to lose their drives IMHO but Kevin would recover from a year or two out of McLaren and would probably be even better when he came back.

#48 OleDK

OleDK

• 36 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 19:55

I think McLaren will fail to attract Alonso or Hamilton. Too much risk for them.

#49 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 20:24

I don't want to see Jenson lose his seat. He's got too much left to offer to the grid. The grid needs older drivers and lets face it Jenson isn't exactly old. Only 2 years ago we had a 43 year old driver and last year 37 year old.

So I think it would be an idea to let Kev sit in another training seat towards the back of the grid (Caterham or Marussia) for a couple of years until the other Mclaren seat becomes available, He's only 22 and it won't hurt him. Take the pressure off and let him learn with a more difficult car. In my mind, as it stands Kev isn't a future WDC and being partnered with Alonso is probably the worst thing they could do to him.

I do think Alonso will be there though.

#50 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 1,001 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:42

Both McLaren drivers are in a tough spot. Button has performed to a good standard, Magnussen has kept him close. I think Button will lose out, it wouldn't make sense for McLaren to ditch one of their young drivers after one season when he has been not bad.

To be fair I don't find either of them convincing and won't be surprised if both are replaced. Alonso/Hulkenberg perhaps? :drunk: