* * * * * 2 votes

2014 WEC season finale - 6 Hours of São Paulo

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:08

While F1 replaced Interlagos with Abu Dhabi as the season finale, we still have the last round of an FIA World Championship at Interlagos. F1 can race around the parking lots of the Yas Marina Hotel, the WEC will end their season in the rhythm of Brazilian samba.

The Drivers' Championship is already decided. We have a British World Champion driving a German car. No, not a Brackley-built Mercedes but a Cologne-built Toyota. We have also another World Champion. A Swiss guy whom many people doubted will even become a World Champion when he was in F1.

Also the GT drivers' championship is already decided and Ferrari can forget the disappointing F1 season, AF Corse drivers Bruni/Vilander won the drivers' championship.

Manufacturers titles are still open. Toyota are three points away from winning the Manufacturers' Championship. In GT side, Ferrari leads Porsche by 25 points, there's still a slim chance for Porsche if Ferraris faced trouble. Also, some class titles are still open.

This race also sees the comeback of racing legend Emerson Fittipaldi, driving Ferrari in the GTE Am class.

Shortened timetable:

Sat: Qualifying 16:45 UK time
Sun: Race 15:00 UK time

Advertisement

#2 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,069 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:47

Finally able to watch a WEC race in full after quite a while. Was out of town for Bahrain, Fuji and Shanghai started at stupid o'clock (so could only watch the finish) and Austin ended at stupid o'clock, so it's the first one I'm gonna be able to settle down and watch properly since being trackside at Le Mans.

Those three points that Toyota need are only in the event of Audi finishing 1-2. Since that's almost an impossibility on current form, I'd say that they have it 99% wrapped up and the #1 for 2015 officially on Ant/Seb's car.  :clap:

#3 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:02

I might go to the track finally if, as I imagine, the prices are accessíble!

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,911 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:03

Autographs and pictures please. :)

#5 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 21:07

Autographs and pictures please. :)

I'll see what a cellular phone and a pen manage :-)

#6 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 22:04

Better go this year. No WEC race at Interlagos at least next year.

#7 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,713 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:49

LMP1 preview-

http://www.dailyspor...art-1-lmp1.html

One thing I find interesting are the comments on Audi. The author references big changes. Obviously TK is retiring, and we know they'll return with a factory effort for the WEC next year, so what could that be hunting at? Are they going to switch back to petrol now that it seems clear the Porsche and Toyota are quicker at all tracks other than Le Mans (and that was pretty even between all 3)? I wouldn't be opposed to that, but it would be the end of a very successful time for Audi since the R10 rolled out in 2006.

The article also mentions a current f1 driver getting a Porsche seat, but not "THAT" driver. I'm guessing they're saying it won't be Jenson, given how strong those rumors have been and how big he is in the British motoring press. That leaves Alonso and Hulkenberg to potentially have F1 deals that allow them to race elsewhere. I guess we will see...

Edited by Dan333SP, 25 November 2014 - 11:52.

#8 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 14:00

LMP1 preview-

http://www.dailyspor...art-1-lmp1.html

One thing I find interesting are the comments on Audi. The author references big changes. Obviously TK is retiring, and we know they'll return with a factory effort for the WEC next year, so what could that be hunting at? Are they going to switch back to petrol now that it seems clear the Porsche and Toyota are quicker at all tracks other than Le Mans (and that was pretty even between all 3)? I wouldn't be opposed to that, but it would be the end of a very successful time for Audi since the R10 rolled out in 2006.

The article also mentions a current f1 driver getting a Porsche seat, but not "THAT" driver. I'm guessing they're saying it won't be Jenson, given how strong those rumors have been and how big he is in the British motoring press. That leaves Alonso and Hulkenberg to potentially have F1 deals that allow them to race elsewhere. I guess we will see...

Also interesting that it mentions the possibility of strong LMP1 privateer opposition for Rebellion, hope that is true as that's probably been the sole downer on the season for me.

#9 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 20:48

This thread is quiet :( I had to go to the 3rd page to find it.

1st Practice is over and Porsche topped the timesheets with the #20 car ahead of the #14. Then Audi #1, from Toyota #8, Audi #2 and Toyota #7.
Rebellion #12 are best of the LMP1-L category and LMP2 has G-Drive quickest from SMP #27 as those 2 cars are still battling for the title.

2nd practice is currently underway and the same top 3 are currently at the head of times with the 2 Toyotas only 5th and 6th.
http://live.fiawec.com/

#10 huisne

huisne

• 175 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 22:56

We need some F1 drivers in the WEC to make the threads busier  :p

Looking forward to quali and the race. Porsche seems strong but surely Toyota is hiding its pace. Would be good to see a battle for the victory in the last race!

#11 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:04

Webber sets the pace, he's been right up there since Le Mans, or at least Fuji.

#12 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:41

I think the Toyota was running conservatively. They made good gains from p1 to p2, but they need more. Its possible they ran a harder tire compound. Race day is supposed to be extremely hot. Warmer even than Bahrain.

#13 AllenT

AllenT

• 219 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:38

Turbo vs NA engine maybe ?

#14 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,495 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:38

Hi altitude so possible... Quick times posted I guess due to resurfacing.

#15 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,069 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:16

Toyota are probably trying to run conservatively, they only need a single car to finish in order to clinch the manufacturers' championship, even if Audi finish 1-2. And on current form, they won't get it, this looks like Porsche's race.

#16 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 14:37

Porsche still on top - Jani quickest in final practice with Webber second. Setting up for an interesting race - if Porsche win that means all 3 manufacturers will have visited the top step this season, anything can happen of course.

#17 huisne

huisne

• 175 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 14:51

How is the weather forecast? Any chance of rain for tomorrow? 

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,295 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 15:05

I'm in New Joisy now...
Any US tv of this?
Jp

#19 AllenT

AllenT

• 219 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 17:50

Quali:

sao.jpg

Advertisement

#20 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 17:53

I don't know what they injected Webber with in his second go. Going from completely average to killing it.

#21 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 17:59

All TV coverage listed here:

https://twitter.com/...7248?lang=en-gb

#22 huisne

huisne

• 175 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 18:00

I have a feeling we will see a great race tomorrow! Porsche seems superior this weekend but I would not write off the No.8 Toyota either! Shame that TK is unlikely to finish his career with a podium.

#23 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 20:44

Hoping to catch this race if my tv decides to pick up Motors TV tommorow. :up:

#24 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,964 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 21:22

I'll probably see if I can catch a bit of it tomorrow. But ever since WEC went to a pay service, I've seen Le Mans and pretty much nothing else of the rest of the season. For a series that many people talk about as rivalling/being better than F1, I still feel like that's a massive own goal.

I also still view WEC as a bit like test cricket. Great if you have the time and attention span to follow the thing right from start to finish, but not so great if you haven't. Unfortunately, I'm very much in the latter group. And as much as I try to like the WEC...Le Mans aside, I just can't find myself getting as excited about it in the same way I can about F1. I'm constantly reading how great it is and...there's just something lacking that I can't really put my finger on...and I'm reluctant to say it might be that the racing just isn't exciting enough (for me). In contrast, I must be the only fan of TUSCC - now that is exciting sports car racing, particularly in GT LM.

Sorry if this post is seen as an attack on WEC, I didn't intend it to be when I started. :lol:

Maybe if there was a general WEC/sports car thread, I'd have somewhere better to vent. :p

#25 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,911 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 21:55

Test cricket is a great analogy!

However I think the absence of mainstream promotion and especially the lack of focus on the personalities makes it hard to involve yourself in the WEC. America has always done this kind of thing better.

But like you say, with access to Radio Le Mans, Eurosport and a good news website, nothing in the world beats the 24 Hours.

Edited by Risil, 29 November 2014 - 22:00.

#26 mistareno

mistareno

• 1,689 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 22:56

I don't know what they injected Webber with in his second go. Going from completely average to killing it.

Probably a sedative...He said he was expecting too much from the car and was over driving it.

#27 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 00:52

All TV coverage listed here:

https://twitter.com/...7248?lang=en-gb

Nothing listed for the USA? Do they stream to regions without coverage (or does that make too much sense to actually happen)?

#28 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:30

Ive been using a stream site for watching the races lately. There is usually a stream for motorstv. Pm me.

#29 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:32

That's just Mark isn't it... in his late Red Bull days he was frustratingly inconsistent too. When he hooks it up though...

#30 Peat

Peat

• 8,873 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:23

Part of the problem, for me at least, is that the races (bar Le Mans) take place on vacuous Tilkedromes. Contrast that to TUSCC races on 'proper' tracks which are full of incident and peril.

I've found the last few WEC races to settle down after an hour or so and just go on and on. They are my naptime (not a bad thing), so yes, very much like test cricket.

#31 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:54

I think the circuits are a little uninspiring as well... surely if the WEC wants to present itself as an alternative to F1 (and it has to IMO) then it has to offer something different to the uninspiring tracks we see proliferate F1 now...

It's a shame the Nordschleife is off-limits for this level of motorsport, because it'd be fantastic for WEC races, a challenging circuit that allows space for all the classes to breath and have their own races. The GP track is a good addition but it's not the same spectacle...

What was great about the ALMS at it's peak wasn't just the competition but the variety of circuits they visited, something that the WEC could learn from.

#32 huisne

huisne

• 175 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:06

I agree that WEC should go to other venues - either more "inspiring" ones or places where they have a more or less bigger motorsport fan base. Last time in Bahrain, there were almost no people on the grandstands. And yeah, most of the tracks are not the most exciting ones either.

Someone also mentioned the lack of focus on personalities and I agree with that too. People simply don't know the WEC drivers, apart from the ones who raced in F1. I have some friends who follow F1 very closely and occasionally watch other types of motorsport. Not WEC, because it's not on TV. They are familiar with the good drivers' names in almost every major series, but not WEC. They have no idea who Loic Duval, Ben Treluyer or Toni Vilander are. Because WEC is not on TV in my country (except Le Mans), it is not promoted at all, most people don't even know the series exists. Or they know it as something "where Webber is racing now". I think it's similar in many other countries. 

#33 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:34

Interlagos and Spa are classic tracks. Every circuit is being redone with runoff so thats going to be present wherever they go. They go to the Nurburgring next year, but on the gp course. Its something 'new' though. The wec isnt a driver oriented motorsport, rather a team one.

Edited by TF110, 30 November 2014 - 09:35.

#34 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:39

I'd say it's more about fans in the stands... I wouldn't say Silverstone is the most inspiring of circuits but the fans do turn up for the 6 Hours, and that makes a difference. In 2013 when McNish took the lead late in the race the main grandstand went crazy, and the fans that are there do use the 6 hours to explore the circuit and watch from many different vantage points.

#35 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:29

Interlagos WEC: Three-way Toyota, Porsche, Audi Fight Predicted
30 November 2014

mzOs0cR.jpg

New World Endurance champion Anthony Davidson is expecting the closest race of the season at Interlagos on Sunday.

Toyota driver Davidson, who sealed the title with team-mate Sebastien Buemi with one race to go in Bahrain two weeks ago, believes that all three LMP1 manufacturers are going into the Sao Paulo 6 Hours with a chance of victory.

"We're expecting a proper fight - I think Porsche, us and Audi will be battling it out over the six hours," he told Autosport.

Full Story: Autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116985

#36 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:36

I think it'll be a proper dogfight as well... which is why I'm glad that I'm actually free to watch the race today (although I'll miss the start as I'll be walking home from work...) rather than missing most of it due to work or other stuff.

It's just me home alone this weekend, with some big bottles of Staropramen in the fridge waiting for me to get home :)

#37 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,964 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:59

Part of the problem, for me at least, is that the races (bar Le Mans) take place on vacuous Tilkedromes. Contrast that to TUSCC races on 'proper' tracks which are full of incident and peril.

I've found the last few WEC races to settle down after an hour or so and just go on and on. They are my naptime (not a bad thing), so yes, very much like test cricket.

Yes, very much agree with everything your write there. Also, I think in America, they're just better at making something feel like an event. At races like Sebring or Petit Le Mans, there's a real atmosphere to it. And, again, with the exception of Le Mans, I just don't feel that at any other WEC race.

You also make a good point. The other benefit with TUSCC is that with more classes, there's always a battle going on somewhere. Again, GTLM in particular is spectacular. I don't know why GTE Pro in WEC has not been able to match the same intensity of racing as in GTLM in TUSCC. The cars just seem to get so spread out so easily compared to TUSCC, but then the latter throws a full course yellow whenever there is so much as a piece of litter on the track. :o

However I think the absence of mainstream promotion and especially the lack of focus on the personalities makes it hard to involve yourself in the WEC. America has always done this kind of thing better.

But like you say, with access to Radio Le Mans, Eurosport and a good news website, nothing in the world beats the 24 Hours.

Agreed. I know some people dislike the sometimes media created drama in F1, but I think it adds to it. You get a sense of narrative throughout the year, and it adds to the intrigue. It builds a story of the season. But in WEC, I don't get the same sense of rivalries or whatever. It's great if you like no frills motorsport, but it leaves me feeling a little cold. Goes back to what I wrote earlier about the majority of events not really having much in the way of an atmosphere.

What was great about the ALMS at it's peak wasn't just the competition but the variety of circuits they visited, something that the WEC could learn from.

Not just the variety of race circuits, but also the variety of distances. Everything is the six hours of (whichever characterless Tilke track they happen to be at this weekend), whereas in TUSCC (or even going back to ALMS days) you can have some shorter sprint races, particularly on street circuits. Then there's the enduro races, like the 24 hours of Daytona, Sebring or Petit Le Mans. It's nice to have that difference, and as I've said on this forum before, that's why I'd kind of like the WEC to be the World Sports Car Championship, so we get to see that variety again.

It'll probably never happen, but I can dream, right? :lol:

#38 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 13:08

I agree completely on the race distance idea as well... I think the WEC calendar should be a mix of time and distance events, bring back some 1000km events (Monza?) and even add a 3 or 4 hour race in there too perhaps at somewhere like Hungary (okay not the greatest track but fans do turn up for more than just the Grand Prix there).

The 6 hour races all tend to follow similar patterns (although with Interlagos being a shorter lap I expect a closer race today) and as a viewer that can mean that they're all pretty interchangeable. Nothing really makes each race stand out other than location, but variety is what gives sportscar racing it's edge. Back in the Group C era some cars would be better at the shorter races and others like the 962 Porsche's were designed for the longer events. The 1987 season had 7 1000km races, 1 24 hour (Le Mans), 1 360km (Jarama) and the Norisring 200 mile race... that's a good mix of events... 1992 had 6 1000km, 3 500km and Le Mans, again, some variety there (before it was shortened... thanks Bernie).

To me, I'd say anything that's longer than a Grand Prix is an Endurance race, so 6 hours isn't necessarily the standard bearer of what an Endurance race should be, but the WEC guys seem to think it is...

Edited by DanardiF1, 30 November 2014 - 13:10.

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:33

From hearing longtime sports car people talk, I've got the impression that many (and not just fans) were badly burned by the F1-ization of Group C. In 1989 and 1990 all races were 480km, shortening to 430km in 1991. And with F1 engine regulations coming in on top of that. To paraphrase a member of the Radio Le Mans Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune, once you allow the manufacturers to take the same technology either to F1 or Le Mans, they choose F1...

So anything that looks like a slippery slope to the early 1990s is resisted. Naturally IMSA, Grand-Am and ALMS did very well out of a plurality of event distances and formats, but as with every other kind of motor sport Europe has a strong Not Invented Here tendency.

The charmlessness of most European and Asian racing circuits is a problem no doubt, but it's too big for the ACO to solve on its own. If I'm a sponsor or team executive or series organizer, given the choice between grassy Zolder and tarmac-y Spa, or authentic Zhuhai and swampy Shanghai, I choose Spa and Shanghai.

Edited by Risil, 30 November 2014 - 14:36.

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:50

Tom Kristensen is 47! Doesn't time fly.

#41 AllenT

AllenT

• 219 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:52

Toyota lost 80 hp tnx to high alti   :eek:

#42 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:53

Predictions anyone?

#43 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:54

Is there a stream? PM me please! 

Edit: Thank you very much guys! :)

Edited by Nigol, 30 November 2014 - 15:09.

#44 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:54

Predictions anyone?

One of the Porkies. Head says #14, heart says #20

#45 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:55

Toyota lost 80 hp tnx to high alti   :eek:

It's a good job they have all that electric power to help though... 

#46 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:56

Predictions anyone?

#8 to battle #14 for the victory

#47 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,206 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 15:09

Last proper race of this year. I'll grow white strands of hair hoping that the #20 wins this.

#48 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 15:12

Both Porsches struggling in traffic. The old turbo/normally-aspirated dilemma?

Edited by Risil, 30 November 2014 - 15:12.

#49 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,206 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 15:13

Both Porsches struggling in traffic. The old turbo/normally-aspirated dilemma?

Or Buemi is just awesome in traffic.

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 15:13

Di Grassi's hassling Lieb too though.