Photo

Silverstone Classic 2015

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:22

My 4 days of pure self indulgence start tomorrow,  when the Caterham is woken and I head south . I assume some of the TNF ..err..demographic will be present . Anybody at a loose end on Sat pm , before the Gp C race i,s welcome to come over for a chat on the Lotus Seven Club stand , which is near Brooklands . I am the old git with the TNF badge which Barry has kindly sent me . My last one is lost at Cadwell- RIP

Advertisement

#2 Automobiliart

Automobiliart

• 37 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:29

Hi John
I'll try to find you.
I'll be wandering around sketching here and there.
Some of my art is also on display at the Historic Car Art gallery stand in the art pavilion.
Cheers!
Paul

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:48

I may be there on Thursday evening, to attend an auction. I can say no more.

#4 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 17:12

Very sadly I won't be making it this year. Still not feeling quite up to the early-morning starts and several long days on my feet. Having missed a few, I much enjoyed last year's Classic, and found that - I should have remembered - a single day there is rather frustrating as there's so much to see away from the trackside. A really good event, notwithstanding the rather industrial nature of the surroundings.

I look forward to reading all about it in due course; John, please give my regards to the Seven crowd - and the TNFers too of course.

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:58

FPdt9c.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.silversto...bilee-Celebrat…

I shall be there for the Chevron 50th Anniversary luncheon tomorrow, which is forecast to be somewhat damp to say the least (both the luncheon & the weather!) Back for a wander on Saturday when the weather looks better, and maybe Sunday if the promised deluge fails to materialise .....  :wave:

#6 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 20:25

40 quid on the gate tomorrow

I know where my money is staying.

Damn rip off if you ask me

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 20:32

£40 for the Friday? I'm sorry but I think that is just greedy. Rather watch Hungarian practice and take the girlfriend out for lunch.

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 13:41

£40 for the Friday? I'm sorry but I think that is just greedy. Rather watch Hungarian practice and take the girlfriend out for lunch.

There isn't even any racing on Friday. Does seem pricey for a historic meeting practice day. I see Saturday is £62 on the gate which seems to be pushing it somewhat for such an unappealing (nowadays) circuit

#9 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 13:44

First one I'm missing for several years (too many other things going on) - and so far, am not exactly pining.  Of course, this may change when I see some pics ...

Edited by Odseybod, 24 July 2015 - 13:45.

#10 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:14

There isn't even any racing on Friday. Does seem pricey for a historic meeting practice day. I see Saturday is £62 on the gate which seems to be pushing it somewhat for such an unappealing (nowadays) circuit

Yes it has been unappealing since the previous round of Effone-driven changes and the most recent really have done for it as a place to watch racing!

I remember in 2001 (ish) the then operators seemed to think that club racing folk would flock to Silverstone to be racing on the circuit where the Britich GP was held and today's promoters must think that spectators regard Silverstone in the same light. We (the 8 Clubs) maintained that whereas many games players thought that way (e.g. village cricketers and Lord's) club racers wanted to enjoy their races and the enjoyment was greater at the less-developed tracks. See anyone's report on VSCC Cadwell Park for evidence!

£62 seems an odd figure as the gate staff have to be provided with £3 change for a huge number of ticket purchases "just in case".

ETA weather poor and forecast to be worse.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 24 July 2015 - 16:05.

#11 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:33

… £62 seems an odd figure as the gate staff have to be provided with £3 change for a huge number of ticket purchases "just in case".

There is not truly an "on the gate price"; it's advanced bookings only (for all three days, I believe). That mitigates against poor weather putting attendees off - they'll have already paid.

Another very absorbing stage of the TdF today though...

Edited by 2F-001, 24 July 2015 - 14:34.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:45

I too thought it was advance booking only, but I've just checked their website and there are 'corporate returns' currently available on the gate for all three days. One of the factors which put me off this year was being asked to pay £49 per person for the privilege of erecting a tent in their (bound to be muddy) camping field. I suppose they've got to finance the Grand Prix somehow, but at the current prices I suspect the Classic has seen the last of me.

#13 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:37

Dad and I are going tomorrow.I have really enjoyed the past two events.

#14 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 457 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:46

Short visit today - very wet, but decent numbers of people.

Back tomorrow (foreacst good) and Sunday (forecast mixed).

#15 mariner

mariner

• 2,335 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:43

I went yesterday to get the £40 price. Very wet all day and bitterly cold for July - I though I was at Snetterton at Easter.

I think the Classic has done some good things over the years but there are now some bad faults which need fixing before I would consider paying to take my whole family again at £300+ at the weekend.

Using both paddocks is good idea because many people, like me, want to see the cars up close and using both pitside garages gives much more space. Travelling between paddocks is fairly easy thanks to the buses and using old ones was a nice touch.

The real problem is the refusal/inability to let people into the Wing building at all. It is just plain stupid to expect a large chunk of a 20,000 or whatever crowd to move to the Wing paddock for all afternoon and have no proper toilets, catering or shelter from the rain.

The Wing building has nice cafe which was open to the 750 club when they used the Wing building. Given the tiny amount the 750 club pay versus 20,000+ tickets at £62 each I cannot understand why the Wing facilities are locked up leaving visitors struggling with no sit down catering, horrible, overcrowded portable loos and a limited food choice.

I wondered if I am just old and grumpy but my wife and I went to the May Brands Historic meeting , saw many of the  same cars, had acess to two sit-down cafes all for £15 each so I think criticising the Silverstone Classic is justified for four times the ticket price.

The real problem is getting new customers to come back. If you have spent £300 for 4 tickets that you have to buy in advance (unlike Brands) you are likely to go even if the weather forecast is bad like Friday and Sunday. Then anybody short of a TNF nut will get wet, cold and fed up - and wonder why on earth they are banned from a huge and obviously empty building while they get soaked.

Also on Friday the Wing garages were becoming a rain shelter so getting crowded. If the teams complain, which is fair, they will get more barriers put up limiting access and people will get wet and never even see the cars up close.

#16 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:06

I was at the circuit on Friday for the Chevron 50th anniversary luncheon and very glad to spend the day indoors as the weather severely disrupted proceedings.  Every time I looked out of the window or glanced at a screen, there was a car spinning and a red flag. The circuit seemed busy for a Friday, but at around 4.30pm when I left, it was almost dark and most of the traders had shut up shop.

The weather relented yesterday, but I arrived at the circuit an hour and a half later than scheduled due to traffic backed up for the circuit on the A43 (both ways, I'm told). The crowds were enormous and the courtesy buses were struggling to make the transfer between the "Heritage" pits and the Wing. The weather would appear to have reverted to Friday's conditions today so I'm not bothering to make the journey. It's a fabulous event without a doubt, but I just find it all a bit too challenging these days.

#17 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:06

We were very lucky with the weather yesterday. Only a tiny bit of rain, not enough to cause any disruptions. The Pre-66 Sportscar enduro was very enjoyable and Martin Stretton drove superbly in the Group C race.

#18 Andy Somerton

Andy Somerton

• 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:21

To me the Classic has turned into a giant  money generating exercise for the organisers, much like most historic motorsport today. 

with over 1000 entrants , the Guards entry was about £900 so if that is the same for all races  equals £900,000. Guess 50,000 spectators at £62 gives £3,100,000, then add trades stands, car clubs etc, Minus circuit hire, security,etc I am sure leaves a tidy sum for the organisers.

#19 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:37

If these things didn't make money, they wouldn't happen.

Advertisement

#20 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:48

The entry fees were roughly double what they would be for another meeting on the same circuit (eg. MG Live!). As I understand it the promoters work on the basis that the entry fees, trade stands, sponsors etc pay for the costs and the admission fees are the profit.

#21 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:02

If these things didn't make money, they wouldn't happen.

Quite so, but this seems to be another case where the people who provide the "show" are not only not paid to do it, but actually have to pay a huge fee to be there.

At a lesser level, we still see that with "classic car shows" despite considerable resistance by the owners of the exhibits.

#22 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:56

It's a case of a circus where the clowns and monkeys pay to be able to perform. However there is no shortage of performers willing to pay so why should the promoters bother?

#23 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 457 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:37

Andy

The thrust of your argument that this has become a money making exercise may well be correct - after all it is not put on by charities or generous benefactors.

It is, however, worth pointing out that car club package was a considerable saving on "on the day prices".  I would think twice at full price.

#24 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:44

Too many old car events. Too many millionaire bash, smash and build me new one next week types. imho.

#25 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 15:40

It was indeed bloody wet,but I enjoyed it.VFM?Works for me.1200 entries,access to pits and it cost me £45 for 3 days.Car club member,book in Jan,2 x tickets for £90.Some may find a reason to moan but £15 a day is ok by me.BTCC is £35 ......

#26 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 17:39

The only answer as a fan is to not go.

If you want to line the pockets of a PR firm, to pay for bands and a load of stuff you might not want to see, do not go, it's as simple as that.

If people continue to roll over and hand over hundreds of pounds for these events what are they going to do?  Drop the price out of fun or because they feel like it, the choice is yours. And that word is big, CHOICE. You do not have to go.

This event is now preposterously expensive, dearer than a standard Goodwood ticket. I am not in a car club and you would have to pay to be in one after my experience. So as a mere punter I am priced out of this event. 40 quid to watch a bit of practice on Friday is bordering on daylight robbery in all honesty.

That for me is enough to never go again.

The circuit is dull, the viewing is too. and the prices are extraordinary for what is essentially a slightly posh club meeting.

Don't bitch about it being rubbish, just don't go again. The same as with a lot of things these days, Sheep ruin it for a lot of normal, reasonably priced people.

#27 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 17:46

Despite the weather we had a great weekend.
Entered a couple of cars and they survived.
The entry fee is on a par with a Peter Auto event.
The Pre War Sports Car race was underwritten by four of the entrants and very good.Could be a biannual event.
Didn't venture to the new wing thing.
Plenty to do round the old paddock.
Can't understand the moaning as if you think prices to high for watching or entering go and do things elsewhere.Its not compulsory!

#28 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 109 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 20:55

Got vid's up from the 3 days if anyone interested, cant believe it was the same event how the weather changed.

Day 1 : https://www.youtube....h?v=5t39Df3yQ08

Day 2 : https://www.youtube....h?v=uLcjWlSO7TM

Day 3 : https://www.youtube....h?v=PjD41a53Byo

#29 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 21:37

Trying to find Pre War sports on those You Tubes?

#30 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 109 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 22:16

Check my vid from day 2, start from about 4min40 mark taken from club corner.

#31 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:07

Thanks,just missed the leading Talbot!

#32 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:16

Wow, a lot of hatred for people making money from running a race event. If they cut the price, the event might get even busier and then you end up like the British F1 where people complain that it is too crowded yet too expensive in the same breath.

If it is too expensive for fans or competitors, it will simply cease to exist - economics will always sort things out in the end. Unlike the F1, there are plenty of other options for historic fans to get their fix.

#33 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:25

Got vid's up from the 3 days if anyone interested,

Excellent stuff considering the limitations of the spectator areas/fencing/run-off, Craig. Thanks for posting

#34 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:40

I guess the difference is, I didnt go and never will as for me the event is overpriced. That is the point I was making.

I am a traditional fan, not interested in car clubs, stalls, music.

Just want to see high quality racing, and that is at this event.

Sadfly I have to pay for all the other rubbish with the entry fee, that is the reason why I find it unacceptable.

So I simply do not go

#35 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:03

The Classic has a greater number of races, and they are of longer distance, than its competitors. That, and the fact you can still get reasonably close to the cars and drivers in the paddock area, makes it worth it for Dad and I. We would have stayed for Status Quo had it been warmer, but we were freezing cold by the time the Group C race finished. The concert is a nice extra if you want it - it isn't compulsory, and I don't think it adds much to the admission price.

Also, compared to other sporting events like football matches, the price really isn't huge.

#36 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:54

Also, compared to other sporting events like football matches, the price really isn't huge.

Ha! That only extends to UK footie though, which is massively overpriced!  :wave:

#37 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:42

The only answer as a fan is to not go.

If you want to line the pockets of a PR firm, to pay for bands and a load of stuff you might not want to see, do not go, it's as simple as that.

If people continue to roll over and hand over hundreds of pounds for these events what are they going to do?  Drop the price out of fun or because they feel like it, the choice is yours. And that word is big, CHOICE. You do not have to go.

This event is now preposterously expensive, dearer than a standard Goodwood ticket. I am not in a car club and you would have to pay to be in one after my experience. So as a mere punter I am priced out of this event. 40 quid to watch a bit of practice on Friday is bordering on daylight robbery in all honesty.

That for me is enough to never go again.

The circuit is dull, the viewing is too. and the prices are extraordinary for what is essentially a slightly posh club meeting.

Don't bitch about it being rubbish, just don't go again. The same as with a lot of things these days, Sheep ruin it for a lot of normal, reasonably priced people.

Slightly posh club meeting ? Helluva clubbie that features a Group C race, 40 F1 cars , a 54 car FJ grid, a Ferrari Breadvan and a Dino 246S. As said, it costs me the same as a 6 race local Croft meeting and although the circuit is pants these days the cars are terrific and I enjoyed it hugely.  If that makes me  a sheep, so be it . Better than staying at home and moaning I guess.  

Harewood this weekend - apologies in advance for admitting I'll enjoy that too 

#38 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 15:17

I've just looked at tickets for the third test match against the Aussies at Edgbaston, ten minutes away from my home. All sold out except for day one, tomorrow, for which a limited number are still available at £81 each plus booking fee. That puts things into perspective...... :smoking:

#39 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 15:35

Tony we usually give you a ticket when you ask.
Think that makes it very cheap!

Advertisement

#40 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 15:42

Tony we usually give you a ticket when you ask.
Think that makes it very cheap!

You mean you have spares for the Ashes, John?!?! :wave:

#41 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 19:02

No ,we don't do losing causes!

You know that.

#42 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 20:04

Comparing a clubbie race meeting to the biggest event in cricket is hardly a fair comparison. 

Comparing the British GP is, and that puts that into even more prespective.

And sadly I would rather watch teh cricket, than either.

#43 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 21:02

Why are you even posting on here then?

#44 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 15:44

You mean you have spares for the Ashes, John?!?! :wave:

No ,we don't do losing causes!

You know that.

What was that you said, John....??  :smoking:

#45 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 19:10

Just when  I was reflecting that what this year's event lacked was enough big V8s (no F5000s, no Galaxies etc ) the rumours are that they are getting CAN - AM next year. Oh yes please. Even Mr Chunder might like those if I give him a  free ticket ? 

#46 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 20:41

The F5000s were very good last year and in 2013.

#47 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 457 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 21:08

https://flic.kr/s/aHskh2mMK9

Some snaps from the weekend can be found on Flickr under user "DWH38"

For some reason (probably user error) it doesn't post the link like it used to do ... error now sussed.

Edited by dwh43scale, 11 August 2015 - 20:57.

#48 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 166 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 19:47

The highlights are being shown on Motors TV, the Freeview channel we all get on our digiboxes in the UK: I was impressed to see ex-BTCC driver Matt Neal [read Tim Harvey - my apologies, PW] win the pre-66 GP event in a Cooper he'd first driven the day before. With apologies to the guy, he'd always come across to me as a bit of a touring car dodgems driver but this was a smooth, clean drive in fine style and he was up against regulars who looked to be really going for it - respect! 

Edited by Philip Whiteman, 12 August 2015 - 06:26.

#49 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 21:16

The highlights are being shown on Motors TV, the Freeview channel we all get on our digiboxes in the UK: I was impressed to see ex-BTCC driver Matt Neal win the pre-66 GP event in a Cooper he'd first driven the day before. With apologies to the guy, he'd always come across to me as a bit of a touring car dodgems driver but this was a smooth, clean drive in fine style and he was up against regulars who looked to be really going for it - respect!

Tim Harvey was driving the Cooper T51 that won the pre-'66 GP race - Matt Neal was driving a Lotus Cortina in the up to 2-litre saloon race.

ITV4 is showing a one hour long programme on Wednesday evening 12 August.

#50 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 22:12

Tim Harvey's first single seater outing since a one off British Formula 3000 race in a Reynard 89D at Donington 1990.