F1 silly season 2016 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4002 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 21:55

my guess:

Mercedes: Nico Rosberg – Lewis Hamilton (?)

Red Bull Renault: Daniel Ricciardo – Daniil Kvyat (?)

Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel – Valtteri Bottas (?)

Williams Mercedes: Felipe Massa – Nicolas Hülkenberg (?)

McLaren Honda: Fernando Alonso – Jenson Button

Force India Mercedes: Sergio Pérez – Jolyon Palmer (?)

Toro Rosso Renault: Max Verstappen – Carlos Sainz jr. (?)

Lotus Mercedes: Romain Grosjean (?) – Esteban Ocon (?)

Sauber Ferrari: Felipe Nasr (?) – Raffaele Marciello (?)

Haas Ferrari: Jean-Eric Vergne (?) – Alexander Rossi (?)

Advertisement

#2 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 22:02

my guess:

Mercedes: Nico Rosberg – Lewis Hamilton (?)

Red Bull Renault: Daniel Ricciardo – Daniil Kvyat (?)

Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel – Valtteri Bottas (?)

Williams Mercedes: Felipe Massa – Nicolas Hülkenberg (?)

McLaren Honda: Fernando Alonso – Jenson Button

Force India Mercedes: Sergio Pérez – Jolyon Palmer (?)

Toro Rosso Renault: Max Verstappen – Carlos Sainz jr. (?)

Lotus Mercedes: Romain Grosjean (?) – Esteban Ocon (?)

Sauber Ferrari: Felipe Nasr (?) – Raffaele Marciello (?)

Haas Ferrari: Jean-Eric Vergne (?) – Alexander Rossi (?)

Bottas to Ferrari, Hulkenberg to Williams are pretty reasonable guesses. But in case of vacancy at Force India I am inclined to believe Vandoorne could have a really good shot at that seat. More so than Palmer I'd think.

#3 JeordieX

JeordieX

• 69 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 00:10

Mercedes: Hamilton/Rosberg

Red Bull: Ricicardo/Kvyat

Ferrari: Vettel/Bottas

Williams: Massa/Grosjean

McLaren: Alonso/Magnussen

Force India: Perez/Vandoorne

Toro Rosso: Verstappen/Sainz

Lotus: Maldonado/Ocon

Sauber: Nasr/Maricello

Haas: Sutil/Rossi (or some pay driver with a superlicence)

Button - Retire/WEC

Raikkonen - Retire

Hulkenberg - WEC

Ericsson - Super Formula

Edited by JeordieX, 13 January 2015 - 00:11.

#4 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 00:10

Bottas to Ferrari, Hulkenberg to Williams are pretty reasonable guesses. But in case of vacancy at Force India I am inclined to believe Vandoorne could have a really good shot at that seat. More so than Palmer I'd think.

yes

#5 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:09

Changes:

- Hulkenberg to Ferrari, Kimi retires.

- Vandoorne to Force India, Hulkenburg to Ferrari.

- A moneyed GP2 driver to Sauber, Ericsson out.

- Ocon to Lotus, Maldonado out.

I think Williams will hold on to Bottas like they did Rosberg. Why would Hamilton move to a lesser team and Alonso/Vettel aren't abandoning their moves after one year.

I think they may swap Bottas/Rosberg in 2017 if Rosberg gets tired of being a #2. He seemed to leave Williams on good terms.

#6 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:17

Why Vandoorne to Force India? The team isn't still partner from McLaren and Palmer could be 3rd driver this year at Force India...

#7 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,127 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:50

If Vandoorne wins in 2015 in convincing style then McLaren need to find a seat for him if they don't then Button is out of a job.

#8 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,368 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:54

Alonso & Button will remain at Mclaren for 2016.

Magnussen & Vandoorne will be in some kind of Mclaren-Honda B

Kimi will retire and Bottas will join Ferrari next to Vettel.

Hamilton and Rosberg will remain where they are.

Hulkenberg will not get his contract renewed and Palmer will join Perez at Force India

Maldonado will be out as PDVSA will run out of money and Werlehin will join them in order to make Mercedes engines cheaper.

Haas will count on an experienced driver (that can be Massa) and a young american one, maybe Hunter Ray.

Red Bull and Toro Rosso will remain the same as of 2015.

Dont know about Grosjean.

Edited by rodlamas, 13 January 2015 - 12:54.

#9 fridge46

fridge46

• 394 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 13:00

Haas will count on an experienced driver (that can be Massa) and a young american one, maybe Hunter Ray.

How do you define "young"? Because Hunter-Reay is 4 months older than Felipe!!

#10 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 15:39

My stab in the dark:

Mercedes-Mercedes
- Hamilton
- Rosberg

Ferrari-Ferrari
- Vettel
- Hulkenburg

McLaren-Honda
- Alonso
- Button

Redbull-Renault
- Ricciardo
- Kvyat

Williams-Mercedes
- Massa (final year)
- Bottas

Lotus-Mercedes
- Grosjean
- Ocon

Force India-Mercedes
- Perez
- Vandoorne

Toro Rosso-Renault
- Verstappen Jr.
- Sainz Jr.

Sauber-Honda (annoyed at the Ferrari unit they leave to be Honda's B team)
- Magnussen
- Nasr

Haas-Ferrari
- Vergne
- Marciello

#11 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 16:14

I think Haas will have Gutierrez-Marciello next year. But, that's just a wild guess

#12 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 16:15

I think Hulkenberg will never get a top seat (including McLaren, who weren't necessarily top team last 2 years).

I can see Bottas in McLaren or Ferrari thou, or in Mercedes as I can also see Rosberg leaving.

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 17:59

Here's my attempt at futurology.

Neither driver can afford giving away a dominant car (which it should remain dominant for '15), and stay for another year.

McLaren-Honda: Alonso/Button

Button will hang on to a seat for 1 year longer as he'll perform reasonably well next to Alonso. McLaren retain Vandoorne on their payroll as he dominates GP2, and ditch Magnussen (more on both later).

Ferrari: Vettel/Grosjean

Raikkonen is pushed towards retirement after another disappointing season, leaving an open seat. Ferrari's first choice is Bottas but it emerges Mercedes have got an option on him to veto this move. Grosjean gets the seat after a close fight with Hulkenberg and Vergne, thanks to a good season with an improved Lotus.

Red Bull-Renault: Ricciardo/Kvyat

Kvyat doesn't impress much but Verstappen is deemed not ready to take his place yet. Both drivers stay put.

Williams-Mercedes: Bottas/Massa

Williams drop in performance but retain Bottas for another year. Massa also does enough to hang on for a final year, with not many alternatives available on the drivers market. However under Mercedes instructions they give a few FP sessions to Esteban Ocon to train him for a 2017 seat.

Force India-Mercedes: Perez/Hulkenberg

Not much going on here with neither driver able to move up the ladder, and both being easily good enough to retain their seats.

Lotus-Mercedes: Maldonado/Magnussen

Grosjean's Ferrari move opens up a spot, which Lotus cannot afford to give to another paydriver given Maldonado's erratic driving in the other seat. With Ocon no longer under their wings, they sign up McLaren-reject-yet-mildly-promising Kevin Magnussen to hopefully become their lead driver.

Sauber-Honda: Vandoorne/Nasr

I like the idea others have put forward of Sauber becoming Honda's first customer, Honda will want that but there's not really many other teams in the grid who could fit - most having already highly competitive Mercedes engines. Vandoorne comes with the engines, Nasr remains as one of the best bang-for-the-buck paydrivers, with very few others available after the superlicense points system comes into play.

Toro Rosso-Renault: Verstappen/Gasly

Max confirms himself as the next big thing but Red Bull play cautious this time on promoting him to the top team already, after a few rookie season mistakes; Max's laptimes cut Sainz's career very short and the winner of the GP2 DAMS duel gets his seat (I think that's 50/50 between Gasly and Lynn by the way - very difficult to predict right now).

Haas-Ferrari: Gutierrez/Marciello

Haas would ideally get a solid experienced driver and an American driver but neither are really available. Haas gets pretty much the leftovers from Ferrari's pool - they cannot afford Raikkonen's astronomical wages, and decides to go with Gutierrez over Vergne because a Mexican is the next best thing after an American, also because Ferrari needs Vergne more on routine simulator duties. Marciello comes short of impressing much in GP2 again but remains Ferrari's best youngster and gets his chance.

#14 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,337 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 19:54

Red Bull: Ricicardo/Kvyat

McLaren: Alonso/Magnussen

Force India: Perez/Vandoorne

Lotus: Maldonado/Ocon

Sauber: Nasr/Maricello

Haas: Sutil/Rossi (or some pay driver with a superlicence)

Button - Retire/WEC

Raikkonen - Retire

Hulkenberg - WEC

Ericsson - Super Formula

Button's on a multi year deal, so why would he retire?

#15 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 20:01

Sauber-Honda with a line-up of Vandoorne and Nasr is another guesstimate, which sounds like a plausible possibility.

If Williams retains Bottas, I personally would not be surprised if they replace Massa with, say, Hulkenberg.

But I think first we have to wait and see, how the performances and also financial strength of 2015 play out, especially among Williams, Lotus and Force India. The performance and future potential of Lotus may play a role in Grosjean's future. However, I personally would not rush to expect Maldonado to extend his paydriver-deal yet again. Due to falling oil prices Venezuela's economy is in a bad state and one day something has got to give (F1?).

#16 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:31

Some good posts here. I wait tô see when if and how Ferrari kick Kimi out and also if Honda can attract a second client!

#17 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:05

I can't see Sainz leaving after one year. Every other STR driver had two at least. One will probably make the move in 2017, unless Kvyat is astronomically fast or slow.

I don't know why people think Maldonado is staying. He's losing backing and was beaten by Grosjean. Ocon has one foot in that seat unless his 2015 season is very bad.

Grosjean to Ferrari makes me think of Arnoux to Ferrari, Hulkenburg is just so much more of a fit for the modern team.

I missed Evans, who might be in with a chance if he does well at GP2. Gasly and Lynn are going to have to wait and hope they don't get Da Costa'ed.

Edited by Jimisgod, 14 January 2015 - 02:08.

#18 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:54

only doing ones I am 90%+ about:

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton & Nico Rosberg

Red Bull: Daniel Ricciardo

Ferrari: Sebastien Vettel

Williams: Fellipe Massa

McLaren: Fernando Alonso & Jenson Button

Force India: Sergio Perez

Toro Rosso: Max Verstappen & Carlos Sainz

Lotus: Maldonado

Sauber: 

Haas:

#19 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:59

Can Venezuela really afford to piss money away with oil at sub $50 prices?

Advertisement

#20 keshav

keshav

• 2,744 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:49

My 2 cents. 

1. McLaren-Honda - Alonso/Button

2. Mercedes-Mercedes - Hamilton/Rosberg

3. Red Bull-Renault - Ricciardo/Kvyat

4. Ferrari-Ferrari - Vettel/Grosjean

5. Williams-Mercedes - Bottas/Massa

6. Force India-Mercedes - Perez/Palmer

7. Lotus-Mercedes - Ocon/Maldonado

8. Toro Rosso-Renault - Verstappen/Sainz

9. Sauber-Honda - Vandoorne/Magnussen

10. Hass-Ferrari - Hulkenberg/Vergne

1. McLaren will retain Button for 1 more year. By that time Vandoorne will be ready to step into his shoes after 1 year in Sauber-Honda (Honda's B-team). Magnussen will also have a run in the Sauber for this year to show what he can do in an F1 car.

2. Kvyat gets another year before Verstappen takes his place at Red Bull.

3. Grosjean makes a move to Ferrari to partner Vettel. Raikonnen retires from F1.

4. Hulk moves to Hass hoping to make a move to Ferrari in 2017. 

#21 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:34

Some good posts here. I wait tô see when if and how Ferrari kick Kimi out and also if Honda can attract a second client!

I think Honda will not have a second team in 2016. Just Sauber and Force India are possible and I think Force India want to stay at Mercedes and Sauber has very strong links to Ferrari...

#22 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:39

My stab in the dark:

Ferrari-Ferrari
- Vettel
- Hulkenburg

I swear if I read another HulkenbUrg, I will want to do the stabbing. 

#23 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:52

Hulkenberg will be without a drive. He will be the new Heidfeld. Has he ever been on a podium?

#24 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:17

Hulkenberg will be without a drive. He will be the new Heidfeld. Has he ever been on a podium?

Well, Heidfeld stayed in F1 for a decade - continuously from 2000 to 2009. Hulkenberg has been in F1 for four seasons so far only - why can't he stay for a decade?

By the way, I know some people are annoyed that Hulkenberg is "constantly sent to all kinds of top teams". But let me explain this phenomenon.

In F1 there are about 4-5 top teams depending on, how you classify the potential of Williams. Every now and then there are vacancies in these teams, who have the best potential to do something serious in F1. Now, looking at the driver pool outside this limited list of teams, Hulkenberg is one of the best drivers there. As long as Hulkenberg stays in F1 and doesn't get into this chosen group of teams, he will remain among the first ones knocking on the door. And he will remain as one of the active players on the driver market. Just like Heidfeld was for a decade - a contender for a McLaren seat in 2001, a contender for a McLaren seat in 2009. So do not expect Hulkenberg to drop off the radar that quickly.;)

#25 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:18

Well, Heidfeld stayed in F1 for a decade - continuously from 2000 to 2009. Hulkenberg has been in F1 for four seasons so far only - why can't he stay for a decade?

By the way, I know some people are annoyed that Hulkenberg is "constantly sent to all kinds of top teams". But let me explain this phenomenon.

In F1 there are about 4-5 top teams depending on, how you classify the potential of Williams. Every now and then there are vacancies in these teams, who have the best potential to do something serious in F1. Now, looking at the driver pool outside this limited list of teams, Hulkenberg is one of the best drivers there. As long as Hulkenberg stays in F1 and doesn't get into this chosen group of teams, he will remain among the first ones knocking on the door. And he will remain as one of the active players on the driver market. Just like Heidfeld was for a decade - a contender for a McLaren seat in 2001, a contender for a McLaren seat in 2009. So do not expect Hulkenberg to drop off the radar that quickly.;)

He will be substituted in 2016 by Pascal Wehrlein at Force India - Mercedes. Period.

#26 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:33

He will be substituted in 2016 by Pascal Wehrlein at Force India - Mercedes. Period.

"Period"? Well that's it then. Why don't you give us the rest of the lineup, this way we can stop wasting our time for the remaining of the year and can lock this thread. Better warn Pascal too to start planning his goodbye party from his DTM mates.

I don't have the slightest idea of why Hulkenberg seems so polarizing in this board at the moment. The guy is as low-key as it gets yet seems to attract pretty ferocious hate, I don't really get it?

#27 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:25

More annoying is the suggestion that Grosjean will take the seat of the ailing driver he was still beaten by. I've never seen any substantial interest for Romain outside of Lotus but he's constantly put in any vacant front running seat.

The state Lotus is in, he will probably be out of F1 before Hulkenberg anyway.

#28 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 13:20

Following a winter of moaning, official receivers, throwing toys, puffing out chests and packing up and taking their ball home; the complete 2016 grid will be...

McLaren Honda - Button, Alonso & Vandoorne

Mercedes - Hamilton, Rosberg & Sainz

Ferrari - Vettel, Bottas & Kyvat

Williams Honda - Hulkenberg, Ricciardo & Verstappen

VAG - Webber, Palmer & Magnussen

This will be the case for the first 28 rounds.  On the second visit to the Mogadishu circuit for the artificial wet race at the final meeting of the year, a single selected driver from each team* will be required to drive an opponents car just to liven things up a bit.  The temptation to perform poorly when using another teams car or when working with another driver on these weekends will be countered by the offering of the 2016 World Drivers Championship Crown for any driver who wins in a different teams car.  The Constructors Championship will also be awarded to the team supplying the winning driver should this occur.**

* When the teams asked why only 1 driver from each team would be allowed to participate in the 'winner takes it all rule', the FIA suggested that allowing all drivers into the hat would make a mockery of both titles.  But they would consider it for 2017.

** Unless it's Williams.

#29 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 13:24

Was there supposed to be more new teams in 2016 than just Haas? If so i think it's a given they'd have Honda engines so more options for both Magnussen and Vandoorne. I can't see McLaren changing their line-up next season.

#30 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 17:05

I'm amazed at the flak that Hulkenburg gets considering the absurd amount of praise that's heaped on 'King of qualifying'* JEV here.

*sarcasm

#31 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:54

Who is this Hulkinburg ?

#32 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 15:40

I'm amazed at the flak that Hulkenburg gets considering the absurd amount of praise that's heaped on 'King of qualifying'* JEV here.

*sarcasm

And everyone is up in arms about the possibility of old Hulk getting a top seat while Kvyat, the guy who lost to JEV, is sitting pretty in one after a single average season.

Of course he may just be the placeholder for the Dutch (or Spanish, or French, or British...) wunderkind.

#33 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 16:39

To be fair Kvyat was in his first season. JEV will never race F1 again, I'm sure of it.

#34 TCRacing

TCRacing

• 17 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:10

About McLaren-Honda's seat shortage... Why not start Super Aguri up again, Just for Magnussen/Vandoorne and the return of Sato :D

#35 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:46

To be fair Kvyat was in his first season. JEV will never race F1 again, I'm sure of it.

Magnussen was in his first season and lost to a significantly better driver than JEV but he's without a seat. I think the TR boys have a good chance at the RBR drive in 2016 depending on how their performances are.

#36 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,337 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:20

Magnussen was in his first season and lost to a significantly better driver than JEV but he's without a seat. I think the TR boys have a good chance at the RBR drive in 2016 depending on how their performances are.

Unless, like Ricciardo did, Kvyat surprises us all and manages to perform like Ricciardo did in 2014. Which I don't expect really, I've yet to see Kvyat's racecraft.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 17 January 2015 - 11:20.

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,267 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 18:28

Lewis to Arsenal

Jp

#38 SlickMick

SlickMick

• 555 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 18:54

Was a bit sceptical whether to bother reading this Mystic Meg thread but lots of logical thought provoking posts here. The only thing that is certain is nothing is certain - having said that the only one I am certain of is Vettel at Ferrari - everyone else could very well move on by 2016.

#39 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 895 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 19:03

Bernie departs this world..... 

Advertisement

#40 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,510 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 19:10

Mercedes: Hamilton / Rosberg

Nothing changes, strong lineup with drivers not willing to let go of a winning proposition, can not imagine Hamilton and Mercedes not agreeing to a new contract.

McLaren-Honda: Alonso / Button

Unless Button underperform compared to Alonso in Kimi'esque fashion then no changes at McLaren.

Ferrari: Vettel / Vergne

I do not see Raikkonen lasting past 2015 at Ferrari, the signing of Vergne I think is the Ferrari's acquiescence towards Vettel, giving him a known parameter, which will give a fast yet somewhat erratic number 2 driver.

Red Bull-Renault: Ricciardo / Kvyat

No change.

Williams-Mercedes: Bottas / Massa

No change.

Force India-Mercedes: Perez / Hulkenberg

No change.

Lotus-Mercedes: Grossjean / Nasr.

Grossjean 'stuck' at Lotus, no other team of interest to him able to sign him. I expect Maldonado to have finally reached his end point in F1, to be replaced by Nasr.

Sauber-Honda: Vandoorne / Magnussen

Sauber finally ditching Ferrari becoming the Honda B team, where both the promising young drivers can be farmed out, and conduct what will essentially be a season long shootout for the 2017 McLaren seat next to Alonso.

Toro Rosso-Renault: Verstappen / Sainz Jr.

No change.

Haas-Ferrari: Gutierrez / ?

Haas will need some sort of F1 knowledge behind the wheel, Gutierrez will give that while having a somewhat secure North American fan base. I have no idea who they will pair him with.

:cool:

#41 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 19:36

I don't think Ferrari will drive with two former Red Bull drivers especially with one who wasn't good enough for the Red Bull A team...

#42 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 20:06

I don't think Ferrari will drive with two former Red Bull drivers especially with one who wasn't good enough for the Red Bull A team...

hmm maybe not, but they are forced to, their only  well groomed candidate is in hospital  :(

#43 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 21:33

hmm maybe not, but they are forced to, their only  well groomed candidate is in hospital  :(

Forced to?  They can have almost anybody on the grid (or on any other grid) just by snapping their fingers.  Even Vettel dumped the most successful team of recent years to rush to Ferrari when they whistled.  They wouldn't need to scratch around for failed Red Bull junior driver.

#44 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,267 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 23:11

Kimi to RCR... I'll work on it.

Haas-Ferrari: Gutierrez / ?

Come on... you can do better than that!?!

There's fodder out there for ya..as if you didn't know

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 21 January 2015 - 00:17.

#45 JeordieX

JeordieX

• 69 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 20:53

Changed my mind.

Red Bull: Ricciardo/Kvyat

McLaren: Alonso/Button

Force India: Perez/Ocon (Mercedes deal if they sign him up)

Lotus: Maldonado/Palmer (if Maldonado loses sponsorship, swap for Nasr)

Sauber: Magnussen/Vandoorne (McLaren/Honda deal)

Haas: Gutierrez/Marciello (Ferrari deal)

Hulkenberg to WEC

#46 chumma

chumma

• 1,347 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 22:02

I don't see McLaren loaning Vandoorne to Force India, not now that they're using different engine manufacturers. I think this will be Button's last with Vandoorne to slot in next year next to Fernando, dunno where that leaves Kevin...bad timing for Kevin to start his career in such a transition period for McLaren

Will also throw in that if oil prices remain low as they are now for an extended period, Maldonado won't be on the grid for much longer, no way PDVSA can keep paying the $$$ when they are losing millions at the moment.

Edited by chumma, 21 January 2015 - 22:04.

#47 rammsteinfan

rammsteinfan

• 124 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 23:21

Mercedes: Alonso/Rosberg

Red Bull: Ricciardo/Verstappen

Williams: Massa/Bottas/Perez/Hülkeberg

Ferrari: Vettel/Bottas/Hülkenberg

McLaren: Hamilton/Button

Force India: Perez/Vandoorne or Hülkenberg/Vandoorne

Toro Rosso: Gasly/Sainz

Lotus: Maldonado/Ocon (if Maldonado loses sponsorship, swap for Nasr)

Sauber: Vergne/Nasr

I think there is a big chance Hamilton goes back to McLaren, otherwise the new Mercedes contract would have been finished. Haas will get a complete Ferrari lineup with maybe even Kimi moving to Haas in a advisory position. Sauber stays with Ferrari as there contract is till end of 2017, IIRC. Force India gets Vandoorne with a Honda engine deal keeping Hülkenberg. If the Hulk goes away for a F1 seat it will be back to Williams or to Ferrari. If I have to say a name as an outsider for the 2016 Ferrari seat I would say Perez due to the already existing sponsorship by Telmex

#48 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:18

Changed my mind.

Red Bull: Ricciardo/Kvyat
McLaren: Alonso/Button
Force India: Perez/Ocon (Mercedes deal if they sign him up)
Lotus: Maldonado/Palmer (if Maldonado loses sponsorship, swap for Nasr)
Sauber: Magnussen/Vandoorne (McLaren/Honda deal)

Hulkenberg to WEC

Massa and Grosjean would go against Williams modern mantra of contracting young drivers that has paid off with Rosberg, Hulkenburg (not as much), Maldonado, Bottas.

If Bottas leaves then it's safe to assume Massa or Grosjean for one seat and a competitive and unaligned GP2 driver for the 2nd; maybe even Ocon with the Mercedes link.

#49 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:44

Massa and Grosjean would go against Williams modern mantra of contracting young drivers that has paid off with Rosberg, Hulkenburg (not as much), Maldonado, Bottas.

If Bottas leaves then it's safe to assume Massa or Grosjean for one seat and a competitive and unaligned GP2 driver for the 2nd; maybe even Ocon with the Mercedes link.

they got young drivers because they werent a very exciting destination for experienced ones given their performance. Right now Williams can get almost any driver on the grid

#50 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:20

they got young drivers because they werent a very exciting destination for experienced ones given their performance. Right now Williams can get almost any driver on the grid

An aging Massa and a Grosjean who looked mildly faster than Maldonado over a year are hardly the best choice though. In fact, the only experienced drivers worth the trouble are Button, Alonso, Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel, Ricciardo (if you can call him that with 3.5 seasons); then you have old Kimi and the Perez, Hulk, Grosjean level drivers who are still unproven.

Williams could easily find the next Bottas or certainly someone who exceeds Massa/Grosjean level after a season or two - and at a very low salary.

Ocon seems wise if Lotus has dropped him.