Photo

Motorsport clothing ID please !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 14:16

Just been given this 'new' reversible jacket for our charity auction later in the year

Could it be from McLaren ?

What year ?

Says WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM under the badge

Thanks

Michael

Mc%20Jacket%20001_zpssqiscqg9.jpg

Mc%20Jacket%20002_zps5wbupltn.jpg

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 14:48

OTTOMH I think that was the slogan on generic Marlboro gear given out to drivers who had personal sponsorship deals with Philip Morris? Might even come from the rally or bike racing worlds rather than motor racing per se?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 14:59

Yes, a quick google suggests I'm pretty much right. If you search for the exact phrase "Marlboro World Championship Team" you'll even find a reference to some Irish feller called Eddie Jordan being part of it. I wonder what happened to him?

Lots of pictures of badges, shirts, decals, racing and rally cars and bikes with the exact phrasing too. This stuff for instance:

http://shopsigo.com/...l&price=salvage

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 15:09

Marlboro also sponsored many individual drivers, such as Mika Hakkinen, through their Marlboro World Championship Team (MWCT) programme.

Source: Subliminal Advertising and the Ferrari Barcode

#5 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 15:27

Thanks a million !

Would you hazard a guess at a year.....or would it cover many years ?

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 15:43

Any time from about 1973 onwards, probably. :lol: Although sleeveless gilets were pretty much a 1980s thing, I think? If it is 1980s it's in very good nick.

Might need some intensive pit and paddock photo research, as I didn't come across anything that looked like it when I did my previous search.

But TNFer LotusElise is probably the nearest thing we have to a fashion expert around here ...

#7 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 15:47

Thanks I will wait on the Fashion-ista then !

#8 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 16:55

Is the size any clue might it be female attire?

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 17:06

I was given one of those as part of my sponsorship haul, early 1980s. From memory there was this "gillet", a similar jacket, and a jacket that rreplicated the top half of the racing overalls, plus assorted T shirts and sweatshirts. I also recall when I was issued with mine, there was also the same again (not for me though!!) that also had Alfa Romeo badges on (by which I mean the words "Alfa Romeo" in script, not the roundel) which the addition on a green reversable bomber jacket.

I was find by my team, because when I sent the "racing overalls replica" jacket to be cleaned, they cocked it up, and the off white bit went pink..............................