Photo

Autosport.com login issues (including ad-free forums for Autosport Plus subscribers)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 15:32

I generally don't use an ad blocker, on grounds of simple principle. So many sites are funded solely by advertising - if I want to use them, as long as the adverts aren't too intrusive, then that's the price I have to pay.

However as I'm currently abroad with only a laptop, and as so many ads like to guzzle CPU through poor scripting or use of Flash, I've got one installed at the moment. On logging on to the forum just now, I was greeted with the following, to my great displeasure:

cY6k8Qg.png

I'm already subscribed, and have been for a number of years. It seems like a pretty big oversight to not even consider this  :well:

Advertisement

#2 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 17:13

I'm already subscribed, and have been for a number of years. It seems like a pretty big oversight to not even consider this  :well:

We agree - and we've certainly considered this!

If you log into the main site (ie. logging in as an Autosport Plus member rather than your forum login) then all ads should be removed from the forums as well. If you've got an ad blocker installed then this reminder will go away as well - it only replaces the advert rather than appearing on the page for members who shouldn't be seeing adverts!

There's a bit of a disconnect between the old site, the new site and the forums at the moment and our developers are working to resolve this. For the moment, the link is only between www.autosport.com and forums.autosport.com

#3 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:46

Should have had more faith!

Thanks Grayson.

#4 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:57

Eurgh...to get to the old site from my phone, I have to scroll right to the bottom of the page and click "old" link...after that I'm stuck on the non-mobile site unless I go directly to the beta address...frustrating...

#5 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:11

So the new site is now live but this remains unresolved...awesome!  :rolleyes:

#6 CatharticF1

CatharticF1

• 284 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:21

This is still a problem.

I'm a paid subscriber, logged into autosport.com and forums.autosport.com.

Yet I see ads in the forums, including of course in this one. Can you please acknowledge the status and when and if it's going to be addressed please?

#7 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 16:07

This is still a problem.

I'm a paid subscriber, logged into autosport.com and forums.autosport.com.

Yet I see ads in the forums, including of course in this one. Can you please acknowledge the status and when and if it's going to be addressed please?

Log in also to the old site. Doing that stops the ads on the forum irrespective of which site you are using.

#8 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:30

Yep - sorry to say that the setting for seeing adverts on the forum is currently tied in to your login on classic.autosport.com.

Getting this fixed is a priority, I'm hoping that we're no more than a week or two away from getting this working in such a way that it looks to see whether you're logged in at the main site.

#9 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:01

Yep - sorry to say that the setting for seeing adverts on the forum is currently tied in to your login on classic.autosport.com.

Getting this fixed is a priority, I'm hoping that we're no more than a week or two away from getting this working in such a way that it looks to see whether you're logged in at the main site.

Cheers Grayson.

I was just about to have a moan about this myself till I saw this thread.

Hopefully this can be fixed soon, but it's fine if I log on through the classic site  :up:

#10 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,977 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:27

Let me understand this correctly.

If I log into 'the new' Autpsort and follow the links to the forums I will get ads in the forums.

If I log into 'the classic' Autosport and follow the links to the forums I will not get ads in the forums.

Asking because on one pc I have ad-block installed and don't get ads. On another I don't have ad-block and get ads. Which I have specifically paid for NOT to get.

#11 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:32

Let me understand this correctly.

If I log into 'the new' Autpsort and follow the links to the forums I will get ads in the forums.

If I log into 'the classic' Autosport and follow the links to the forums I will not get ads in the forums.

Yes - that's right. If you're logged in at classic.autosport.com (or you were logged in when this was the main site at www.autosport.com) and your browser remembers that, you will see no ads at all on the forums, no matter how you've navigated here.

I know that this isn't good enough - we're working to fix this so that it recognises your login status on the new site ASAP.

#12 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,977 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:13

ok, thanks,

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 22:26

Yes - that's right. If you're logged in at classic.autosport.com (or you were logged in when this was the main site at www.autosport.com) and your browser remembers that, you will see no ads at all on the forums, no matter how you've navigated here.

I know that this isn't good enough - we're working to fix this so that it recognises your login status on the new site ASAP.

it surprises me that it's still not fixed. I'm a paid subscriber and still get this "We notice you may be using an ad-blocker. Did you know that we remove ads for AUTOSPORT+ members to offer an ad-free experience?" nonsense. Pretty irritating.

#14 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:14

Even more irritating here as I've reverted to not blocking :( come on people...

#15 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:13

I'm sorry that this is taking so long. Our developers are currently working on some fairly complicated server migration which is delaying everything else we're trying to do...

Once they've got some spare capacity, fixing our login issues is the top priority. If any Autosport Plus members have found themselves having to log out and log in to access all of the content on the new site, this will be sorted as part of the same fix.

#16 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:38

I'm sorry that this is taking so long. Our developers are currently working on some fairly complicated server migration which is delaying everything else we're trying to do...

Once they've got some spare capacity, fixing our login issues is the top priority. If any Autosport Plus members have found themselves having to log out and log in to access all of the content on the new site, this will be sorted as part of the same fix.

:mad:

:cool:

#17 CatharticF1

CatharticF1

• 284 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:47

At least for me ads are very annoying. I block them in most browsers but on my laptop I use Edge. I'm inclined not to renew though because it's been this way for months so it's plainly not a priority. Not sure what I'm paying for. I spend more time on the forums than the main site.

Edited by CatharticF1, 16 April 2016 - 01:49.

#18 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:48

Have you made sure that you have logged on in the old version though. In the top left corner of the opening page where it tells you the language version, click on that and there is a drop down box, click on "go back to old site" and log in there, the problem then goes away. You've said that you are logged on to both but to be ad free you have to make sure that you are logged in on all three areas. If it is an Edge specific problem try logging in with an alternate browser.

At least for me ads are very annoying. I block them in most browsers but on my laptop I use Edge. I'm inclined not to renew though because it's been this way for months so it's plainly not a priority. Not sure what I'm paying for. I spend more time on the forums than the main site.

Edited by milestone 11, 16 April 2016 - 11:51.

#19 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:45

Sad to see that this isn't a priority for Autosport. I was planning to subscribe again but I think I'll wait until this gets fixed at least.

Advertisement

#20 CatharticF1

CatharticF1

• 284 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:22

Navigating via the old site and logging in does work. So thank you. But please fix it because it's convoluted and unnecessary.

#21 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:55

I suddenly get bombarded with advertisements, also in posts.

When Itry to click then away (e.g. in the post above) I get two options; "Ignore CatharticF1's signature" and "Ignore all signatures". 

Stop this nonsense now!

#22 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:04

While logging in through the old site works, this is still unacceptable.

One thing that's happening to me at times is I seem to get randomly logged out and have to go through the process all over again.

I always select the "keep logged in" option, but twice this last week it's happened.

I can go to the new Autosport and I'm logged in, but when I hit the Forum icon at the top I'm taken to a forum with ads again.

So back to Autosport, select Old Autosport, log in again, and then go to Forums.

I've not cleared my history or cleared the cache, and it's very frustrating.

Any ideas on when this will be fixed ?

Edited by Ricciardo2014, 01 May 2016 - 05:05.

#23 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:28

That is one of the reasons I stopped being a subscriber.

#24 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,722 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:55

While logging in through the old site works, this is still unacceptable.

One thing that's happening to me at times is I seem to get randomly logged out and have to go through the process all over again.
I always select the "keep logged in" option, but twice this last week it's happened.

I can go to the new Autosport and I'm logged in, but when I hit the Forum icon at the top I'm taken to a forum with ads again.
So back to Autosport, select Old Autosport, log in again, and then go to Forums.

I've not cleared my history or cleared the cache, and it's very frustrating.

Any ideas on when this will be fixed ?

I am finding the same, having to go back to the old site to re-log back in several times in the last week. Annoying. Mostly Chrome if it helps fix anything.

#25 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 16:19

I am finding the same, having to go back to the old site to re-log back in several times in the last week. Annoying. Mostly Chrome if it helps fix anything.

This is not happening using Firefox.

#26 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 14:43

Yeah, I'm using Chrome as well if that helps.

#27 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:17

So it's nearly two months later...still not sorted...getting very irritating...

#28 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,566 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:30

It would seem this issue is not so straight forward. Why not consider in the interim using something like the "disconnect me" add-on.  An Ad Blocking add-on is not needed. You may see the odd word "Advertisement" but that's it.

The upside, is a faster browsing experience and on-line privacy (i.e, you're not tracked).

To the poster who mentioned he'd tried clicking away, what you were doing was "clicking" on the "x" that appears if a poster has a signature.

Edited by YoungGun, 03 May 2016 - 10:32.

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,500 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 13:25

No installing anything for a website to work as paid for, I am going the way of via the classic site, it annoys it takes this long, it puzzles that it takes this long.

:cool:

#30 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:58

Futurama foresee this coming. It's inevitable.

#31 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:06

Just attempted to view the Forums, and once again I'm seeing the advertisements.

I was still logged into the new Autosport, and when I hit the Forums link I'm still logged in there but with ad's.

I won't even pretend to know anything about programming, but how hard can it be and long will this take ?

#32 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:43

I won't even pretend to know anything about programming, but how hard can it be and long will this take ?

It's much harder than we thought it was going to be.

Hopefully I can give you an update soon...

#33 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 967 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 21:05

Thanks Grayson, appreciate the reply  :)

#34 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:24

yn2o1um.jpg

#35 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:41

Perhaps it's the way I access the forum using home and work PC's, iPad and two iPhones, but I'm finding this increasingly onerous. At least once a week the cookies expires or something causes everything to need a new login, so on each device I have to login using the new website, then login again using the old site, and then return to the forum. I appreciate that the difficulties are greater than expected, but posting this in the hope that it's a clue to identifying and resolving the issue.

#36 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 16:23

I'm very wary of overpromising, but it's possible that we'll be able to get this sorted out by the end of the week.

We've got a solution that we're testing right now, but if it turns out to have bugs or glitches then it may still take longer to get this fixed.

#37 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,025 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 17:20

The (frankly, quite small) banner on top, doesn't frustrate me at all. But the ads that get in between forum posts, on the side of posts etc. They are massively irritating.

#38 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 13:22

Everything has now been updated so that a single login should work across the main site, the classic site and (for those with access) the digital edition archive. This should also mean that Autosport Plus members who are logged in on the main site will no longer see adverts on the forums.

Sorry that this took so long!

If anyone's still having any problems with this, please could you let me know?

#39 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 16:29

Excellent, thank you, it's one of those things which will just work and an irritation which disappears, so fingers crossed this thread just drops off the first page quietly without fanfare!

Advertisement

#40 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,025 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 19:36

Everything has now been updated so that a single login should work across the main site, the classic site and (for those with access) the digital edition archive. This should also mean that Autosport Plus members who are logged in on the main site will no longer see adverts on the forums.

Sorry that this took so long!

If anyone's still having any problems with this, please could you let me know?

Yup, it works perfectly. But now I have to login on the main site for each single visit, even when "remember me" is checked.

#41 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:21

Yup, it works perfectly. But now I have to login on the main site for each single visit, even when "remember me" is checked.

That's not good at all.

Can you let me know which OS and browser you're using? I presume you haven't disabled cookies or anything like that?

If anyone else is having the same problem, could you also let me know the same info?

#42 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:07

Same here. Login required every time I visit the site. "Remember me" always checked. Am running Chrome on Windows Vista.

#43 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:55

Having the same problem but can't get it to manifest on demand, presumably a session needs to time out...I'll try and remember to have another go later.

Chrome on Windows 7. No funky settings.

ETA: Yep, confirmed. Guessing these US_ cookies are the relevant ones, they're all still valid.

Edited by tomjol, 26 May 2016 - 13:39.

#44 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 17:59

Same issue with login not being remembered. Cookies are active for the main part (some security precautions taken). Tried 2 of the 4 rendering engines as listed below. Windows 10 (current public release) Avant Browser 2016 Build 2 (Ultimate Edition) Firefox Engine 43.0.3.5846 Chrome Engine 47.0.2526.106 Same issue occurs in Chrome 51.0.2704.63.

#45 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 18:02

Same here (Chrome on Android browser).

It knows I've been logged in 'on the old site' (a message tells me so) but doesn't know I was logged in on the new site ten minutes previously!

#46 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,025 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 23:12

That's not good at all.

Can you let me know which OS and browser you're using? I presume you haven't disabled cookies or anything like that?

Both Android 5.0.1 with default "internet" app. And Windows 8.1 with Chrome 50.0.2661.102 m and 51.0.2704.63 m. No cookies are disabled (I love my cookies ^^,)

It does however seem like it's at random when it happens on my phone, and after each reboot not each visit as I first thought on my PC.

#47 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:52

I still have to log in on almost every visit, sometimes when I visit it is logged in but after a few seconds it automatically logs out. Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

David

#48 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:37

Thanks for the answers on this, everyone. It sounds like it's coming from a range of different devices and browsers.

Our developers are looking into what's gone wrong here. We've obviously broken something as part of yesterday's update...

#49 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:54

Update - it looks like our developers have already identified a potential part of the problem and made some changes.

If you were previously being logged out, can you log in again and let me know whether you still see the problem? If you do, can you let me know roughly how long it takes before you're getting logged out?

#50 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:15

Going to use this post as a tracker - just logged in now, I'll check back in later.

ETA 1445: Still logged in!

ETA 1931: Still logged in!

ETA 36 hours later: Still logged in! :)

Edited by tomjol, 29 May 2016 - 09:24.