- - - - -

First time at Silverstone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 14:02

I appreciate there have been a few old posts about this, but had a few questions as hoping to visit Silverstone for me first F1 weekend this year. 

For a first F1 experience what do people think would be better: General Admission or booking seats in one of the stands?

Also, has anyone travelled to Silverstone via public transport before. Is it easy? We will becoming from London, and would prefer to take public transport, but am considering hiring a car, as it seems to be the much easiest option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers!

Edited by Misk, 05 March 2016 - 14:27.

Advertisement

#2 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 22:59

I would say grandstand is a must, unless you can get there for gates opening and park yourself a good spot by the fence and never leave...

#3 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 23:01

Also, driving in and out on Sunday is an absolute nightmare. Some form of provided transport has got be better I reckon, but again, it's all about the timing....

#4 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 17:03

Agree with BullHead, unless you can be there at stupid o clock to queue for gates opening (and some people sleep in the queue all night), which will be difficult using public transport the best General Admission spots will be taken.

I haven't been by public transport myself but they do run special trains and buses for the Grand Prix so it is possible.

For example Bus:https://uk.megabus.c...rstone2013.aspx

(runs all 3 days)

Departs 07:30 London ,Victoria Coach Station Arrives 10:00 Silverstone ,Car Park West 4 £14.50

Departs 16:30 Silverstone ,Car Park West 4 Arrives 19:00 London ,Victoria Coach Station £14.50

Train: http://www.silversto...h.0W2v6SxE.dpuf

Virgin Trains are running a dedicated service for British Grand Prix goers on Sunday 10th July to Milton Keynes from London Euston, you will then get a coach transfer (included in the ticket price) to Silverstone. The coach transfer will take approximately 30 mins to and from the car park located near the main entrance.

Outbound Train Service                                                    Outbound TrainConnecting Shuttle

08:10 - 08:55 London Euston to Milton Keynes Central    09:10 - 09:45Milton Keynes Central to Silverstone Circuits

08:20 - 09:05 London Euston to Milton Keynes Central    09:20 - 09:55Milton Keynes Central to Silverstone Circuits

08:45 - 09:31 London Euston to Milton Keynes Central    09:46 - 10:21Milton Keynes Central to Silverstone Circuits

Return Train Service Connecting Shuttle                                 Return Train

17:00 - 17:35 Silverstone Circuits to Milton Keynes Central    17:50 - 18:27Milton Keynes Central to London Euston

17:09 - 17:44 Silverstone Circuits to Milton Keynes Central    17:59 - 18:38Milton Keynes Central to London Euston

17:14 - 17:49 Silverstone Circuits to Milton Keynes Central    18:04 - 18:44Milton Keynes Central to London Euston

London Euston - MK Central - £50 per person return

#5 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 19:14

Good info there Exb. It's nice to see that there are transport options... If I wasn't camping I'd be considering those myself

#6 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 15:44

Cheers, thanks a lot for the info both. Just to clarify my group was thinking of getting camping tickets for the weekend, so it would only mean one journey up (presumably on the Thursday afternoon), and then one back afterwards.

Exb - I didn't realise Megabus ran direct buses from London straight to the site. Good to know, although with 4 of us going, considering how cheap it is to rent a car for the weekend, it might  just be worth doing that as we will be dragging along tents, booze, food as well. Thanks a lot for the heads up on that one. 

I guessed trying to drive out of their on Sunday afternoon/evening will be hellish. I've experience of trying to get out of big music festivals in similar situation, so guess it will be something on that scale. 

Also, thanks for the heads up re: general admission. Might have a look into grandstand tickets then. Can anyone recommend a good spot to go for?

#7 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 22:34

If your camping then General Admission is doable if you are prepared to queue early on the Sunday and then make sure someone stays at your spot all day, however General Admission tickets are £155 for the 3 days and currently Silverstone have an offer of 25% off tickets for the Vale Grandstand - making them £186,75 which doesn't seem a bad price compared to the General Admission cost (not sure how long the offer will be available for though). Although I've not sat in Vale it should give good views of the last section, including pit entrance and is the right area if you want to go on track to the podium at the end. Also worth remembering that you would also get roving grandstand access on Friday and Saturday with any 3-day grandstand ticket, so try as many different grandstands as you can on those days. (General Admission tickets have Friday roving grandstand access).

Edited by Exb, 13 March 2016 - 22:36.