Photo

Bruce McLaren's first competition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 O Volante

O Volante

• 311 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 15:21

According to Bruce's own account in "From the Cockpit" (Frederick Muller 1964, pp. 27-28), his first competition was a hillclimb at Muriwai Beach shortly after his 15th birthday. That was the necessary age to have the driving test for a road licence, which in turn was required to start as a novice in competitions. As the story goes, the place choosen by father and son McLaren for his debut was the first run of a hillclimb at a new venue at Muriwai - in fact, the drive up to the family's summer house newly laid out with road metall. Later this venue was to be known as "Muriwai hillclimb" or "Quarry Road". In the Auckland Car Club run event (Les McLaren being its chairman!) Bruce was driving his Austin Ulster, and made FTD in the 750cc class, followed by Phil Kerr, driving his Austin Nippy. This story has been repeated in a number of printed publications, for example Eoin Young's "McLaren Memories" (Haynes Publishing 2005, p. 29), and also on the sites both of the McLaren Team and the McLaren Trust.

My question: when exactly did this event take place? Surely it must have been after August 30, 1952, Bruce's 15th birthday. However, neither in printed stuff nor in the net I have found any record of a hillclimb at Muriwai in the following weeks. Hardly a top event, that's perhaps no real surprise ...

Or was there no Muriwai hillclimb at the time at all? In fact, in "McLaren Memories" Eoin Young has Bruce's lifelong friend Phil Kerr as a witness for the Muriwai hillclimb and cites him: "We [Bruce and Phil] first met in 1952 at a car club hill climb.[...] It was Bruce's first event and it was my first event as well. We were the youngest guys there and we got talking. We got on very well that day [...]." (p. 29)

In his autobiography "To Finish First" (Motor Racing Publications 2008), however, Phil Kerr tells a different story: "During this time I found out about the Auckland Car Club and hastily became a member. [...] For many years it had promoted rallies and various forms of motor racing [...] One weekend in September '52, I headed out to rural Clevedon, southeast of Auckland, for my first event, a gymkhana. These were very much the 'in thing' at the time, a series of driving tests and slalom runs laid out on a large, flat farmer's paddock. [...] We were divided up into classes of similar vehicles. That's how I found myself grouped with another teenager a couple of years younger than myself. I was 17; Bruce McLaren had just turned 15. [...] He told me his driver's licence was less than a month old, but explained that he already had 18 months' experience around the backyard of his parents' house in Remuera, and occasional dawn outing around his neighbourhood. [...] Bruce and I found ourselves seriously competitive. The likes of George Smith might have been local legends, but their V8s were hardly the stuff for hurling around markers on slippery grass. On the other hand, Bruce's Ulster and my Nippy were ideal, and by the end of the day, machinery triumphed over talent and I won the gymkhana with Bruce second. 'Young driver beats George Smith' read the headline in the local daily, The New Zealand Herald. [...]" (pp. 17-18)

Anybody who can put the record straight? When exactly did the Clevedon gymkhana take place?

Edited by O Volante, 07 May 2016 - 15:26.

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,510 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:33

David McKinney's notes say that Bruce's first event was at Muriwai, December 1952.  I could find no mention of events at Clevedon.

#3 O Volante

O Volante

• 311 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 17:03

A lot of thanks for rapid sunday service, Roger!

Dear David! Yes, we discussed the topic many, many years ago. Other matters came up, it slipped from screen - and than he had left us far too early ...

It was way back in the 1990s, when David was very unhappy - to say the least - about Graham Vercoe's NZ Racing History. Errors, omissions and generally unbalanced! He send pages and pages of corrections and comments. At that time, however, he was not sure about Bruce's competition debut at all. But it would be there, in his comprehensive NZ racing history ...

Is there more about the December 1952 Muriwai hillclimb? On the other hand, I'm not surprised the Clevedon gymkhana is not mentioned at all. Races, hillclimbs, sprints - OK. Rallies may be, but gymkhana generally not ...

Anyway, thank you very much! 

#4 opplock

opplock

• 952 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 17:41

Before my time but the New Zealand motor racing season was very short in those days. Even in the late 60s the season ran from November to March. Vercoe's book shows the last circuit race of 1952 to have been held on 22 March. The first race of 1953 was held on 24th January. Mr McKinney's corrections to the Vercoe book must have been ignored. The rear jacket shows drawings of Denny Hulme. The accompanying narrative states that he won the 1968 Formula One world championship and competed in the world championship until 1973!   

#5 O Volante

O Volante

• 311 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:20

Just by chance I got a copy of Karl Ludvigsen's "Bruce McLaren. A Life and Legacy of Excellence" (Haynes Publishing 2001) in my hands and couldn't resist to have a look. And there it was on page 30: "Only days after getting his licence Bruce and the Ulster were at a gymkhana staged by the Auckland Car Club ..." Ludvigsen confirms that Bruce and Phil Kerr met here for the first time and concludes this passage accordingly with a short citation of Phil's memories of the event.

In the following paragraph the author takes up the narrative again: "Their next encounter was more competitive. It was up five-eights of a mile of a steep gravel grade from a quarry near Muriwai Beach. On the Tasman Sea, 20 miles west of Auckland, the beach had seen Bruce's dad racing on its black sands at low tide. In this hill-climb, Bruce's first serious competition, he just beat Kerr to set the fastest 750cc-class time."

Unfortunately the exact dates are still missing ...

#6 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,885 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:51

Milan Fistonic, over on the kiwi motor racing site, TRS might be a good start point. But there's many other knowledgeable kiwi enthusiasts there also.

Stephen

#7 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 18:17

Sorry about not tracking down those dates! Mea culpa! But I think the events are correct.

Anyone interested in republishing this very agreeable book?