- - - - -

Silverstone 2 day test after 2016 British Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:40

Are tickets going to be available for this 2 day test, at Sliverstone?

Advertisement

#2 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:43

Yes they are.

http://www.silversto...6-f1-team-test/

Treating myself to an early 'hell no I am not really turning 40 am I' day at the track. 

Last time I saw testing was Mansell testing the Williams at Brands Hatch in 1994! 

#3 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:40

Thanks may just have to book some tickets! :)

#4 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:26

Its a good chance to see F1 cars for much cheaper than over the GP weekend (even though Friday tickets are only £40 now - they were almost £70 last time I went for just Friday a couple of years ago)
However don't expect the whole track to be open to spectate - it was limited between Stowe and Abbey for the past couple of tests.
Also worth remembering a couple of teams won't have their race drivers there as they used up all the days in Barcelona. Don't expect to see Mercedes, or the Red Bull drivers. I think Kimi and Fernando are still to drive though so they are probably the biggest names who may attend. Some of the top teams tend to close their garages during the pit walk but put out a show car, others leave the garage open so you can see them working on the current cars.

Still haven't made my mind up if I'm going to go - I have booked it off work but not sure I fancy heading all the way back down to Silverstone less than 24 hours after getting home from 5 nights camping down there over the GP. Might leave it to the last minute and see how I feel then.

#5 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 15:54

It's only a tenner so no big deal... Really...

#6 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 15:56

Mercedes, Red Bull and Haas need to have non-race drivers for their both days. Ferrari, Williams, Renault, Toro Rosso, McLaren and Manor need to have so on one day of testing. Force India doesn't have such obligation as Celis Jr. tested on both days during Barcelona mid-season test.

Not sure how it works for Sauber if they attend testing as they didn't participate the first one. 

#7 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 16:20

It's only a tenner so no big deal... Really...

If you're talking to me, its not the price that's putting me off, it's the 7 hour drive, only 1 day after getting home from what will be a very long and tiring 5 days at Silverstone.
I love testing more than race weekends so I doubt I will be able to stay away though.

I brought the drivers up as I know a few people who were going to go but decided not to once they knew Lewis wasn't going to be driving. (Its not like you see the drivers though, and it is nice to see the talented youngsters get a chance, eg Ocon in the Merc, however its also quite obvious when someone is out of their depth thinking back to how slow the Force India looked in the 1st pre-season test :p )

#8 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 18:32

If you're talking to me, its not the price that's putting me off, it's the 7 hour drive, only 1 day after getting home from what will be a very long and tiring 5 days at Silverstone.
I love testing more than race weekends so I doubt I will be able to stay away though.

I brought the drivers up as I know a few people who were going to go but decided not to once they knew Lewis wasn't going to be driving. (Its not like you see the drivers though, and it is nice to see the talented youngsters get a chance, eg Ocon in the Merc, however its also quite obvious when someone is out of their depth thinking back to how slow the Force India looked in the 1st pre-season test :p )

Ah, I am lucky I'm only about just over an hour-ish away...

Can you just turn up anytime and get into the circuit? Or is access restricted to certain times? So you couldn't just turn up at say 12 for the afternoon?

#9 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 18:33

I've never been to an F1 event so a test would be a good starting point... I think...

#10 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:09

Can you just turn up anytime and get into the circuit? Or is access restricted to certain times? So you couldn't just turn up at say 12 for the afternoon?

Just turn up whenever. Its definitely a good start to seeing F1 cars - its so much more laid back than a GP with a lot less people and a lot more track time so its easier to move around to lots of vantage points - that's the only disappointing thing that Silverstone don't open up more of the track.

#11 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:52

Stowe and Abbey?

Bring a brolly...... or a wetsuit. Although I find Stowe to be the best position on the track.

#12 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:54

Thanks, at my age you would have thought I would have been to an event before now!

If you can come and go as you please I may get tickets for both days and see what happens...!

#13 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,009 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:25

Do you need to pay for parking?

Just ordered my tickets for both days...  ;)

#14 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 18:58

Normally at test events you can just show up as you please, they are not going to close the gates to new entries until the track closes for the evening. Obviously the earlier you get there, the better value for money.

It is a great chance to see future F1 champions and drivers who will never get into F1, makes for some unique photos. If I could get the days off work I would certainly go down.

#15 DanGB

DanGB

• 55 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:38

I'll be at this test again, I like the test days as they good to attend with a camera.

At the most recent test in 2014, the track was open from Vale and the chicane at the end of the lap down to Abbey/T1, so basically the areas around the pit straight.

Can I ask about the pit lane walk though - not sure if it's worth bothering with as, from
memory in 2014, it looked like the queue was forming while cars were still on track late afternoon and the garages were all closed with only older 'showcars' rolled out on view? Any drivers lurking? Would appreciate if anyone can share their experiences and pictures from previous tests.

Edited by DanGB, 16 June 2016 - 11:44.