Photo

William Scott

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 15:24

Hi all,  I am usually on the 'car' side of things but I wondered if I can get some help here?

Vitesse2 has very kindly helped me track down an early owner of my Aston DB2-his name was William Scott and he bought the car in 1954 or 55 when he was only 20 years old!  His daddy had died and left him a lot of money apparently.  

He lived in the Guildford area with a place in London as well and was very into motorcycles and motorcycle racing.  He had several close friends who were racing motorcycle fans and I wondered if any are on this forum?  William Scott died about ten years ago at the age of 71.

Advertisement

#2 arsey30

arsey30

• 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:05

There was a  BILL Scott who owned Antar Motors in Shere,  5 miles from Guildford in the 1960s..

He and  Brian Davis  raced G50s,  I met them at the Manx GP  in 1964 or 5, Bill seemed to have the finance to cover the racing..

Not sure if the same person, I think Brian is still Haslemere way. 

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:22

Having personally done a lot of research into Mr Scott on David's behalf, I think we can say with a great deal of certainty that he's the one. At the time you met him at the Manx he would have been aged about thirty; would that fit?

#4 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 20:30

Would this be the chap in question?

http://www.iomtt.com...LL&ride_id=6079

Barry.

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:55

Keep it coming lads!

#6 arsey30

arsey30

• 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:03

The age is about right, and he raced  7R and  G50. 

A friend in our group knew Brian, so that's how we met up with Bill and Brian in the pits.

Brian  knocked out a big end at Kerrowmoor   so went back to England for new crankcases.

I am friends with Brian's son, I will ask if Brian is contactable and let  you know.

Not sure how long they raced together but were at the 64 or 65 Manx..

#7 arsey30

arsey30

• 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 13:36

I have spoken to Brian and  he is happy to talk to you , e mail me for his number   arsey30dave  "at'"  hotmail.com 

They were best friends from 1959 till the end.

Bill [a multi millionaire] helped Brian out in the early days, 

#8 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 17:32

Many thanks arsey30!    Once again Nostalgia Forum is a terrific resource.  I hope to talk to Brian Davis this weekend.  Since I cannot talk to Bill Scott anymore this is the next best thing!  

I will report back here.

#9 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 15:21

I spent a very pleasant half hour chatting with Brian Davis.  Apparently William Scott had sold my DB2 on by the time Brian and Bill Scott became friends so I wasn't able to learn more about my car.  I did learn more about Bill Scott though.  He was very wealthy, which we already knew, and he sponsored Brian Davis in motorcycle racing in addition to co-riding with him.  Their best result was the 1963 Thruxton 500 when they took 5th place on a Triumph Tiger 100SS behind the likes of Phil Read and John Hartle-not bad!

Bill Scott and Brian Davis both lived within a stones throw of where I grew up, as does Dave Williams-"Arsey30".  In fact Dave Williams and I went to the same primary school although he was a couple of years ahead of me!  Small world innit?

#10 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 22:07

I've exchanged a few emails with Marty Lunde in connection with a G50 he once owned and then sold to Aussie Phil O'Brien.   I entertained the notion that Phil's G50 was Tony Woodman's former bike, but Marty has explained that he bought it from Bill Scott.  Apparently it was a lovely example: 6 speed box and and fettled by Francis Beart, seemingly from new.   Phil sold the G50 to Austrian Alois Maxwald at the end of 69 and the old Matchless was still fronting up at GPs in the following year.  

Marty explained that Bill's team consisted of a 7R and a G50 apiece for Bill and Brian Davis, with Bill financing the whole operation. 

#11 Filthhound

Filthhound

• 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 13:53

David, I have just sent you a message regarding William Scott, my Uncle!