Photo

Popping over to the Castle Combe Autumn Classic... from Australia

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:19

Hi there, I'm coming over to England in a few weeks time for an event with my girlfriends family and while I'm there I thought I better check out some racing. It's my first time in the country, but after looking around I saw that the autumn classic is on at Castle Combe and that fits in with the travel plans so that's where I'm heading. Can anyone give me any advice on where to watch and other details a first timer should know? Or even better, if others from here are going and are willing to meet up? 

Advertisement

#2 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 896 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:45

Castle Combe is a very spectator-friendly circuit: anywhere on the circuit is a good place to watch! Paddock access is great and you can also stand alongside the pits to watch any action there. The circuit has in recent years placed a lot of raised banking round the periphery and as a result I'd say it's pretty much the best track to spectate at!

Having said that, Quarry corner is usually the best place to watch: it's a tricky, multiple apex corner with many different lines and many overtaking opportunities. I'd suggest picking a spot there but also taking the time to walk round the circuit when the opportunity arises. Another favourite of mine is Camp Corner - the corner just before the start line: you get great views of the chicane and it's also a good place to watch those demon starts. Camp is a quick one for those with the confidence and so is quite an impressive place to view from.

Only other advice would be to get there early and have a good, long walk round the paddock! 

Combe has continuous spectator viewing round the outside of the circuit, and so you can move round without ever missing any action.  

#3 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:18

Thanks Sabre, it does looks like a great track for spectating, thanks for the hints. I'm really looking forward to having a look around the paddock, after a lifetime of seeing the cars Australia has to offer some new ones will be a welcome change.  

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:19

I agree with everything Sabrejet has said. The Autumn Classic itself is a nice little meeting with a friendly, informal atmosphere and usually some very good racing. As well as the on-track action there'll be lots of interesting vehicles on the various club stands, which extend from Tower corner down to the paddock with more between the paddock and Quarry corner.

I'll be spending a lot of the day helping man the Bristol Pegasus MC stand, which will be somewhere along the stretch between the paddock and Quarry (and will feature some very interesting vehicles) so do come and say hello. I'd also be up for a TNF get-together if there's enough interest.

#5 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:59

Thanks Tim, i'll definitely drop past and say hi while I'm there.

#6 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 22:22

Hi Jeremy,

My sister lives in Stroud, just up the road, and her son who would be, very roughly, your age group lives somewhere in that area, may well have accommodation if you are looking for somewhere. He watches F1, not sure whether he actually goes to races though. Get in touch with me if interested.

Bob Collinson

#7 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 00:41

Hi Bob, i'm sorted for accommodation while I'm down there but someone to talk racing to is always appreciated since I'll be on my own at the racing itself.    

#8 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:56

Here's a short video from 2014: https://youtu.be/rrbcIrilsfI

It's a great meeting, but unfortunately I can't make it this year. :(

#9 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 19:29

I'll be there with my Unipower GT, really enjoyed it las year. :cool:

Edited by Morris S, 12 September 2016 - 19:31.

#10 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 00:35

I'll keep an eye out for you and your car Morris. It looks like a great meeting, glad I decided to go with Castle Combe. 

#11 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,648 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:50

I'll be there with my Unipower GT, really enjoyed it las year. :cool:

No117? Nice!

That is a good video, very well produced.

Edited by GreenMachine, 13 September 2016 - 01:50.

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 15:14

Been following this thread for a couple of weeks and wondering if anybody would be interested in going for a meal after the meeting at the Compass at Tormarton near junction 18 on the M4 ?

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 18:03

I'm game. Anyone else interested?

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 23:50

Sounds like a nice gathering like we had in Bristol coming up...

I can recommend such events. But it would be so much nicer if you were going to Cadwell, Jeremy.

#15 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:41

Sorry I've been without internet for a week or two do haven't checked in here recently. I'd be keen for a catch-up if others are. Time and location have forced this particular meeting on me... but I'm still quite happy with it Ray.

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:49

Yes, I realise that Jeremy...

I'm sure you'll have a great time and it's definitely better than Oran Park.

#17 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:11

I'm game. Anyone else interested?

Only just read this, shame I'd have been up for a meet up!  Nice to meet brielfy in the paddock though Tim, hope you didn't get too wet during the day!! :eek:

#18 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:17

Oh and forgot to mention what a great meeting this was again, despite the inclement! Poor old Pete Crewes, storming to victory in the HRDC Touring Cars race when his alternatior went just after the safety car went in, drat! That was quite a bizarre state of affairs watching the entire field stuck behind slower cars unable to actually catch the safety car, despite him slowing to a crawl, comical to watch but not for the drivers stuck in the queues!!  Lots of bent panels around the paddock, well it does show the commitment these guys have in some very challenging conditions! Great racing as always!

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,608 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 17:52

Only just read this, shame I'd have been up for a meet up! Nice to meet brielfy in the paddock though Tim, hope you didn't get too wet during the day!! :eek:

Good to meet you too at last, Pete. Sadly I never caught up with Jeremy Durward. Otherwise it was another great event apart from the torrential showers. Here are a few of my paddock shots:

Here's Pete (Morris S) waiting to go out on the demo in his gorgeous Unipower GT:
Pete%20Unipower.jpg

Stephen Bond’s beautiful Lister-Bristol shelters from the rain:
Lister%20Bristol.jpg

Lotus 7 with Climax FWB engine:
Lotus%207%20FWB.jpg

Rotorvic engine in Lotus 23:
Rotorvic.jpg

I’d never twigged until now that the driveshafts on the Ferguson P99 pass through the lower wishbones:
P99%20front%20susp.jpg

The actual M10B that Peter Gethin used to win the F5000 race here at Castle Combe in May 1970:
Gethin%20M10B.jpg

The F5000 Harrier built by the late (and much missed) Terry Sanger:
Harrier.jpg

‘Whizzo’ Williams about to have a go in Dave Foster’s Cooper S:
Whizzo.jpg

Scarab leads BRM:
Scarab.jpg

Whistling Billy all steamed up:
Whistling%20Billy.jpg

Poor old Pete Crewes, storming to victory in the HRDC Touring Cars race when his alternatior went just after the safety car went in, drat! That was quite a bizarre state of affairs watching the entire field stuck behind slower cars unable to actually catch the safety car, despite him slowing to a crawl, comical to watch but not for the drivers stuck in the queues!!

That was bizarre. I felt so sorry for Pete Crewes - he looked likely to lap most of the field (which included Mustangs, Lotus Cortinas etc) in his Cooper S before the safety car was deployed.

Advertisement

#20 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:03

Some great photo's of some very interesting machinery. Just wish I was there. Lucky bugger.

#21 ron54

ron54

• 86 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:57

Tim..thanks for posting the pictures, it was nice to meet up with you and Ralph again...lets hope for better weather next year..

#22 Fivestripes

Fivestripes

• 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 22:00

Gosh. I remember watching Gethin getting into that M10B at almost exactly that spot.......over 46 years ago!

#23 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 22:52

Hi Tim, sorry I missed you. So many things going on that day, but rest assured I had a brilliant time, great track, great atmosphere and a well run event! I'll post some of my photos once they're all on the computer. I manged to squeeze in a visit to both Brooklands and Donington on the days either side of the meeting too.  

#24 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 20:44

Tim said "I felt so sorry for Pete Crewes - he looked likely to lap most of the field (which included Mustangs, Lotus Cortinas etc) in his Cooper S before the safety car was deployed"

He gets another chance at Donington on Saturday as HRDC have their last meeting of the season. Hope to be there! :)