Photo

Tim Mayer: what might have been?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TerryS

TerryS

• 970 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:55

A great article here on the young driver who went long before realising his potential

Highly recommended.

https://primotipo.co...ight-have-been/

Advertisement

#2 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:07

Wally Willmot told me back in the late 1960 that all of the remains of the Mayer car were destroyed, I believe by fire.

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,475 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:59

I really enjoyed the article, very memorable content.

Unpaid labors of love for our sport are especially commendable, regardless of anyone's sense of perfection. It takes much character to invest such heart, soul, and time into works of passion over profit.

Criticizing such effort is painful to its creator, spoiling the effect of their intent. Then everybody loses, and we all should damned-well know better.

Thanks for sharing, TerryS, and my hat's off to Mark -- and RIP Timmy.

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,614 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:13

This thread is about a nice tribute to a fine driver, and I'm sure we'd all like it to stay that way. I've therefore removed a few recent posts and edited a couple of others. This has meant that some useful and informative posts have had to go as they no longer made sense, for which I apologise.

I hope that this thread can now continue to respect the memory of Tim Mayer. Many thanks.

#5 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:21

Tim, the memory of Tim Mayer was never in dought by me, I was a Fire Mashall at WF during the year that he drove the Cooper, very impressive driver then to be lucky enough to work with Wally Willmott was way beond my dreams.

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,732 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 13:17

Anybody else think Tim looks very like Ayrton Senna in the first & last pics ?

Edited by LittleChris, 20 November 2016 - 13:17.

#7 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,475 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 14:11

Good eyes, Chris, especially on the bottom photo!

#8 MCS

MCS

• 4,701 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 15:27

Great thread.  Great to be able to continue to learn things about drivers, cars and circuits I still - regrettably - don't know enough about.  Great video on Longford.  Wow.

Full marks to TerryS !!!   :up:   

#9 BT40

BT40

• 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 21:47

The article has the incorrect chassis number for Adam's car .

Probably a typo , chassis # is FL-2-64 , not Sl , the FL indicating Formula Libre ..

Bryan Miller.

Edited by BT40, 20 November 2016 - 21:47.

#10 TerryS

TerryS

• 970 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:10

Probably a typo , chassis # is FL-2-64 , not Sl , the FL indicating Formula Libre ..

Bryan Miller.

Bryan, agree the SL probably a typo.

Re the Berryman car, although it is tagged FL-2-64, is it really FL-1-64?

From Old Racing Cars, it seems Mayer drove FL-1-64 for first 5 rounds of 1964 Tasman, then McLaren took it over for final 3 rounds after retiring FL-2-64 at Sandown AGP.

This then became Phil Hill's car for 1965 Tasman.

Then sold to Bill Patterson for John McDonald to drive. Ultimately became the Berryman car.

FL-2-64 used by McLaren for first 5 rounds of 1964 Tasman. Then by Mayer for 2 races. Then crashed in practice, when Mayer killed, and written off.

According to Mark Bissett the chassis plate taken fro written of FL-2-64 and attached to FL-1-64.

So Berryman's car would appear to be FL-1-64?

Edited by TerryS, 22 November 2016 - 04:25.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,336 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:43

I wonder why Bruce would have changed steeds?

His retirement at Sandown was an engine problem IIRC, and his competitiveness in that race lasted right up until he put the rod out the side on lap 38 while dicing with Jack.

The clue might be, of course, in the gearbox difference between the cars. In Mark's story he states that Bruce's car had a 5-speed Colotti while Tim's had a 6-speed Cooper box.

Whether that was how they started the series or how it was at Longford isn't clear. But it's possible that Bruce blamed his blow-up on a difficult gear change and wanted the other gearbox... which was most readily obtained by changing cars.

#12 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,884 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:04

There was previous discussion on the T70 in 2011 (now in TNF archive) with Adam Berryman comments.

http://forums.autosp...1-merged/page-3

Also see page 2, but photos no longer appear.

Both cars had separate styles of moulded windshield. Bruce's almost level to the steering wheel height and runs back towards the driver. Timmy's was above the steering wheel and doesn't run back into the cockpit very far at all. This is how they ran in NZ. Photos I have of the 2 cars sitting together in the Lakeside pits still show the above styles for the appropriate driver. So if there was a chassis swap, it also meant Tyler and Wal had to swap the screens or whole body section. Which mightn't have been that easy, given fasteners tended to be fitted differently as a car was built..

Stephen

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,336 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:31

Undoubtedly the bodies would have been swapped, Stephen...

I notice, too, that you have suggested Tony Shelly as the other person in the Pukekohe pits pic. I sent this pic to Jon Davison earlier today and he has confirmed this is so.

The file name on the pic, however, wrongly says it is Rocky Tresise.

Edited by Ray Bell, 21 November 2016 - 03:32.

#14 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:20

A great article here on the young driver who went long before realising his potential

Highly recommended.

https://primotipo.co...ight-have-been/

That was a wonderful piece Terry - certainly brings back memories of the era and a sad, sad loss.

Thank you for posting.

#15 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,475 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:53

Bryan Miller.

Welcome to TNF!

Oh... wait... new race car? ;-)

#16 BT40

BT40

• 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:56

BT35-8 went back to the U.K. a few years ago , I didn't seem to be able to log in

so started all again.It is actually BT40-18 ex USA Chuck Dietrich Formula B .

The plates were swapped in the U.K. probably with NZ next season customs carnet in mind which

Doug Nye and Wal . and I sorted through some years ago to sort out the actualities for Adam .

So therefor the car is actually FL-1 carrying FL-2 plate. which was all done with the full agreement of

Charles Cooper and Teddy Mayer back in period.

Bryan Miller.

#17 TerryS

TerryS

• 970 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:25

The best photos of the 64 and 65 Coopers are I believe on Bruce Sergent's site.

Personally I much prefer the 64 to either of the 65 versions.

Those skinny wheels are interesting, especially when you think they were best at the time.

http://www.sergent.c...tor/tasman.html