Formula 3 results - Graham Hill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:26

Good morning,

I tried, but I could not find much: I am trying to find the results of Graham Hill's Formula Three (or Formula Junior) races between 1954 and 1956.

All books (including Graham's biography) mention the April 27, 1954 as the date of his first race. I doubt that this date is correct. As Philip Porter wrote in his scrap-book about Graham Hill: April 27, 1954 was a Tuesday, so it might not be correct.

There were a lot of race Meetings at Brands Hatch at that time, nearly every Weekend, but it is hard to get any Information, or race results.

I got a race program from August, 2nd 1954: Graham Hill is in the entry list with Kieft-Norton #41.

How many formula three-races did Graham take part?

In 1955 I found only one result: Sept 4, 1955: Brands Hatch, Graham finished third in a Cooper-Mk6-Norton

And in 1956 he should have driven a Cooper-Norton at the race-meeting at Brands Hatch on April 28, and finished 4th. On the same race weekend-end he won the sportscar-race, driving a Lotus Eleven.

From 1956 on I guess, I got nearly all racing results of Graham's Career. But I am struggling to find the formula three (or formula Junior) results from Graham's early days.

Perhaps anyone can help me, please?

Kind regards

Best wishes from Austria

Alfred

PS: I hope, my English is not too bad, and I made not too much Errors.

Advertisement

#2 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:41

Good morning,

I tried, but I could not find much: I am trying to find the results of Graham Hill's Formula Three (or Formula Junior) races between 1954 and 1956.

All books (including Graham's biography) mention the April 27, 1954 as the date of his first race. I doubt that this date is correct. As Philip Porter wrote in his scrap-book about Graham Hill: April 27, 1954 was a Tuesday, so it might not be correct.

There were a lot of race Meetings at Brands Hatch at that time, nearly every Weekend, but it is hard to get any Information, or race results.

I got a race program from August, 2nd 1954: Graham Hill is in the entry list with Kieft-Norton #41.

How many formula three-races did Graham take part?

In 1955 I found only one result: Sept 4, 1955: Brands Hatch, Graham finished third in a Cooper-Mk6-Norton

And in 1956 he should have driven a Cooper-Norton at the race-meeting at Brands Hatch on April 28, and finished 4th. On the same race weekend-end he won the sportscar-race, driving a Lotus Eleven.

From 1956 on I guess, I got nearly all racing results of Graham's Career. But I am struggling to find the formula three (or formula Junior) results from Graham's early days.

Perhaps anyone can help me, please?

Kind regards

Best wishes from Austria

Alfred

PS: I hope, my English is not too bad, and I made not too much Errors.

Your English is excellent Alfred!  

I'm sure you must already know this website. Some entries seem to confirm your findings, some seem slightly different:

http://www.500race.o...lts Summary.htm

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:24

From the formula 1 Register Fact Book (Sheldon/Rabagliatti):

19/4/54: Graham Hill was entered by Premier motor Racing Club in a Cooper-JAP.  He finished second in Het 2 of the Junior race and fourth in the final.  This is confirmed by Autosport.  This was the first clockwise Brands Hatch meeting.

1/5/54: N Hill (presumably him) was entered by Premier motor Racing Club in a Cooper-JAP.  Competed in Junior race but no mention in the results.

7/6/54: Graham Hill entered by Premier Motor Race club in a Kieft-Norton.   Finished third in Heat 1 of the junior race, fourth in the final.  Autosport faults say that he drove a Cooper in the heat and a Kieft in the final!

4/7/54 Graham Hill entered by Premier Motor Race Club in a Kieft-Norton.  Finished fourth in Heat 1 of the junior race, third in the final.

2/8/54: Graham Hill entered by Premier Motor Racing Club in a Kieft-Norton,   Competed in Heat 1 of Open Challenge race.  Not mentioned in results. 

4/9/55 Graham Hill entered by C M Lund in a Cooper-JAP.  Finished third in second final.

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:58

I guess that he was entered in lieu of payment for working as a mechanic for the club.

#5 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:48

Thank you very much for your researching.

#6 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:23

You mentioned Formula Junior, but I thibk that came along too late for Hill, didn't it?

#7 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:32

You mentioned Formula Junior, but I thibk that came along too late for Hill, didn't it?

I
ISTR that there was a competition licence requirement which meant that GP drivers were not allowed to enter.

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:52

A lot of 50's Brands Hatch meetings had separate Senior and Junior F3 races. Hill's early races were in the latter category.