Photo

Maurice Rowe

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:22

With deep regret, I understand that motor racing photographer - and really, really lovely bloke - Maurice Rowe passed away this morning, aged 89. Working for 'The Motor' magazine - later 'Motor' - he was one of the finest action photographers of the 1950s-1980s, and also worked in aviation for the Temple Press group's associated aeronautical title. Sincerest condolences to his widow Beryl - who was editorial secretary at Temple Press - and to their family and many friends.

DCN 

Edited by Doug Nye, 13 December 2016 - 18:13.

Advertisement

#2 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:38

How sad… Maurice's Track Record collection has given me a huge amount of pleasure; I was 'consulting' it again just last weekend. My condolences to his friends and family.

#3 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 14:31

Sad news

#4 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 15:36

Apart from being an excellent photographer, Uncle Maurice was a wonderful chap to work with and one of the nicest people I have ever known.

#5 backfire

backfire

• 118 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 17:29

I can only echo the above sentiments. Maurice was an unassuming real gentleman, as are most who are genuinely good at their jobs. An inspiration.

#6 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 22:12

Oh no, really?

Such a lovely chap, such a good travelling companion, such a fund of interesting short-cuts, so many memories, not least him suggesting my Dad should buy me a better camera. 

R.I.P Maurice (but not too peacefully - he'd find that boring).

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 22:27

I was a great fan of Motor magazine in the '60s and '70s - it was so much better than its opposite number here in the UK. With Odseybod's dad as Sports Editor and Charles Bulmer as Technical Editor, plus Maurice's great photos, even on my very limited schoolboy/student budget it was a must-buy every week, and I learned so much from it. RIP Maurice.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 22:45

What he said - Maurice was a cool, placid, relaxed and calming influence on Geoff Goddard - his regular fellow photographer around the race circuits of the world - puffing on his pipe and occasionally even nodding off in a sun-soaked spot between races or practice sessions.  But he could also be very crisp, direct and decisive when the situation demanded. He was also a superb photographer, with tremendous technical grasp and that most vital of innate talents - a great eye for a picture. As editorial secretary on 'Motor' magazine his wife Beryl could provide an equally calming influence for stressed scribblers, imprisoned in tiny hotel phone booths, on the end of a crackling and unreliable Continental telephone line while attempting to dictate their reports over the hot line.  In short - a lovely couple.  As Peter posted above Maurice was one of the nicest people I have ever known.

That phrase simply sums him up.  Right now I can imagine he'll be soothing over a raging argument between Geoff...and Jenks...while keeping one eye out for a decent French restaurant for  Philip, and so many other friends...  Comfy now.

DCN

#9 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:30

I worked with Maurice for seven years, in Britain and abroad, and saw him almost every working day. On only one occasion did I see him lose his temper. I was glad that I was not the person who caused it! I shall not name the culprit...

#10 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 15:16

A particular favourite of mine is his photograph of the grid of the 1968 International Trophy with all the drivers standing beside their cars in silent tribute to Jim Clark.  Very moving.

#11 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:20

As Tim said, as a youngster, looking at the race reports and the photos were so exciting in a black and white world.

Brilliant photographs.

#12 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:53

Not having had the privilege of knowing him personally, as some of you here have, that Silverstone photograph (referred to above, by Roger) is the first thing I think of when I see Maurice Rowe's name mentioned.

#13 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 00:54

Nice tribute to Maurice Rowe by DCN on the Goodwood website.

https://www.goodwood...d-maurice-rowe/

Stephen

#14 Kelly63

Kelly63

• 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 20:18

I was fortunate to meet and chat to Maurice at Brooklands in 2004 when he had a stall selling Track Record and prints. I bought the book and he signed it for me. I'm looking at it now. There's a little gold sticker on the inside cover which says 'Maurice Rowe - Photographer and Framer'.

I remember asking him about his experience of shooting with 35mm rangefinder cameras, and he said something about how easy they were to use compared to the hefty plate cameras he started with.

He was very pleasant indeed, and of course Track Record is wonderful. Would love a volume two.