Photo

Arthur Edwin Rolfe racing driver in 1930's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:53

Does anyone know or have pictures or film of Arthur Edwin Rolfe formerly a professional racing driver before calling himself Guy Rolfe and becoming an actor?

Advertisement

#2 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:00

I remember Guy Rolfe, wasn't he in some old Robin Hood type films?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:13

Hmm. Mr Rolfe seems a bit of a mystery. I can't find a contemporaneous birth record for him - only his death record in Ipswich in 2003, which gives the same birth date as his obit in the Guardian - which gets his name the wrong way round and also seems to be Wikipedia's source of the 'professional boxer and racing driver' suggestion. Ronald Bergan, who wrote it, does lots of showbiz obits for them and is something of a film geek. However, it's actually dated more than a month after a similar obit for Rolfe in the Independent, by Tom Vallance, which has the same suggestion: http://www.independe...olfe-37361.html

Maybe sourced from some long-lost publicity material put out by some acting agency in the 1930s or a showbiz magazine of the time? The only Rolfe I have found competing at Brooklands is a Captain K Rolfe, who ran a 1903 De Dion Bouton in one of the Veteran car events at the final meeting in August 1939.

#4 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:16

Birth registration of an Arthur E Rolfe in 1st quarter of 1912, Hendon district.
As he was allegedly born at the end of Dec 1911, this is quite in order.

Someone has added on FreeBMD - "Film actor Guy Rolfe"

#5 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:31

I expect you've seen it but if not go here  where you will find contact email addresses for living relatives who seem only too happy to help.

ST

#6 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 14:24

Memory triumphant, Locksley in Ivanhoe was Robin Hood!!