Photo
- - - - -

Do You Buy Products Your Favourite Driver Endorses?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 17:52

I've always wondered about this, since it obviously pays but doesn't appeal to me. I was a huge MS fan for years, but it was about his driving not his brand of watch or underpants, so never once bought a product because he used or wore it. All of which begs the question have you bought anything and if so what?

Advertisement

#2 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 17:57

No.

#3 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 17:59

I probably wouldn't have a Lenovo if they hadn't sponsored Williams. Not so much that i'm a fan of the team, rather it reinforced the idea in my mind that they were a respectable and trustworthy brand.

I've never smoked, but if i did, it would be Luckies after their badass liveries in MotoGp/F1

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 17:59

I'm certainly becoming more aware of a product if it's advertised in F1 and if I didnt knew (or wasnt aware of) that product before, therefore it would come into consideration which it wouldnt have otherwise. My final decision to buy a product is independent of this though.

We had this thread a few times before and most people are saying that it has no impact on them, but it's overall difficult to say in my opinion, My first notebook was a HP, which was at that time when they were sponsoring Williams (and when I was a more fanatic Williams fan), ever since then I never purchased a HP again, but I never had the impression that it being a Williams sponsor was the reason for me to buy it, so yeah, it's difficult to say.

Edited by Marklar, 09 May 2017 - 18:00.

#5 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:00

No, never. I will sometimes buy things over another product if they sponsor a team or a series I like, but that is where my loyalty ends

#6 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:02

Sadly I don't have a favourite driver any more (had 5 in my time, 4 were killed and 1 retired then suffered an horrific accident so I no longer pick one driver as I don't want to jinx them)

But when I did, nope  I can't say I ever bought "product x" because my fave drivers used it or wore it or recommended it.

#7 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,716 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:05

If they are free why not.

#8 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:07

Never. Don't have a favorite anymore. Can't name single one of Nico's personal sponsor brands either.

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:18

No, never. I will sometimes buy things over another product if they sponsor a team or a series I like, but that is where my loyalty ends

I know we are in an election period but that is a real politician's answer.

No, never. (Except when I do).

#10 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,156 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:20

Nope but I tend to be spot them on shelves.

I might buy a pair of Kimoa glasses in the future tho, they looks cool.

EDIT: They cost too much.

Edited by Joseki, 09 May 2017 - 18:21.

#11 Laster

Laster

• 3,874 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:22

That luxury private jet remains just out of my reach....

#12 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:23

I don't have a favourite driver but even if I did I still wouldn't.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:37

Nope. I've never bought any product just because of a sporting connection or endorsement from any type of celebrity.

#14 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:38

To be honest BRG it has happened once or twice in my life so give over. But I would sort of expect the sarcastic nonsense.

Was simply mentioning a couple of times when a product that has sponsored a team or race series I have bought their thing over something else.

You know what it was/  Cadbury's boost bars!!  Coz they sponsored my local Superbike team.  Hardly an expensive product.

#15 TheKerb

TheKerb

• 175 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:41

Awareness of some of the brands has definitely increased. As a watch Fanatic I love to see the IWC/Richard Mille watches (have a Tag heuer f1 edition myself), Similarly, for my work I use citrix which is placed on the RB car. 

Other than that... I still want to know what brand sunglasses Jenson used to wear, love the glasses he was wearing last year. 

#16 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:56

I can quite confidently say never bought something simply because my favorite team/driver has them as a sponsor. However, when I have wanted or needed something, I cannot say nearly as confidently that a company that sponsors my favorite team/driver has had zero influnce on my decision making process.

#17 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,637 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:59

No.

Having said that, I've looked up sponsors of various teams, sometimes out of sheer curiosity as to what they do. In some cases, I ended up trying using that product/service.

As well, I used to buy McLaren-Mercedes gear, because I loved both companies, however, now I don't buy McLaren-Honda gear, or Mercedes F1 gear :lol:.

#18 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:05

I don't even leave the house without a can of monster energy 44

It's in stores across Europe

#44unleashed #TeamLH #monsterenergy #ambassador

#19 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:06

I would if Hamilton decided to endorse beer, as long as it weren't light. No respectable beer is light.

Advertisement

#20 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:19

I bought two Makia t-shirts back in 2012 when they made a rather funny advert with Kimi :lol:

If I had been a smoker (and legal age) 15-20 years ago, I'd have been tempted to try West cigs for sure though.

Edited by Jovanotti, 10 May 2017 - 11:45.

#21 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:22

Seems like the general answer is something along the lines of "No.    ...unless It's something I actually wanted anyway"

#22 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:43

No.

But real answer is not anymore, both younger brother and I bought Kouros for Men through the obvious reason of John Nielsen racing the Sauber C8 sponsored by them, it being back in 1985 still think I am on solid ground saying no in 2017.

:cool:

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-1986-61-kouro

#23 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:51

When I was very much younger I used to pinch my dad's Yardley Black Label (which dates me more than somewhat) which he bought because of its F1 connotations...

#24 pdac

pdac

• 17,218 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 19:52

No

#25 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:09

20 Marlboro twice a week, all thanks to Michael Schumacher.

Seriously, I'll never forget a conversation I had with a friend when I was in middle school, so about 12. Another kid was bragging about smoking, my friend asked him what brand he smoked. Don't remember what the answer was (bullshit lights probably), but my friend said "you should smoke B&H, then you'd be supporting the Jordan F1 team"

If ever there was a justification for banning tobacco advertising....

#26 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:24

When Lotus announced Kimi's return in 2011, I bought a box of Magnums and a sixpack of Coca Cola. :blush:

#27 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:33

Yes, I now own five Rolex watches. AMA.

#28 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:33

No but I would look into the brand if it was for a product that I was planing to buy anyway. 

#29 H0R

H0R

• 4,104 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:34

Nope. But I used to drive a car from a manufacturer that powered my favourite team. Over quite few years in the 1980ies a Honda, skipped the Ford and Peugeot and then went for a Merc. Not willing to support and buy a Honda right now and am driving a vintage Mini instead.  :p

#30 HairyScalextrix

HairyScalextrix

• 493 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:40

No. Its similar to the sponsorship I grew up with, Rothmans, Silk Cut, Martini, Marlboro, Camel, JPS. I've never smoked or drunk Martini. I make my own choices and sponsorship or what's seen as cool plays no part in it.

#31 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:41

When Lotus announced Kimi's return in 2011, I bought a box of Magnums and a sixpack of Coca Cola. :blush:

Which flavour?

10991491_812127322185963_286267297083414

#32 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:42

I will not buy a can of Monster just because it has Hamilton's name on it, hate the stuff!

#33 Ze Bum

Ze Bum

• 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:45

Which flavour?

I think the box had all of them. :)

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:49

I think the box had all of them. :)

Party pack   ;)

#35 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:50

Had a job in advertising once and am convinced it works, not maybe on an individual purchase level but in two ways. Firstly it increases general brand awareness, and secondly most non repeat purchases happen after a personal recommendation. Having a known figure endorse a product gives that sort of recommendation, not as good as your best friend saying this is a great brand, but better than no recommendation at all.

However I remember a client wanting a celebrity to endorse their product. I asked the celebrity if they would use the product and was told "God no, but I'll say I do for money." His view was that good brands already had good reputations and sponsorship was for new or bad brands. I think he had a point.

So the answer to your question is consciously no but maybe I've been subconsciously made aware or have some vague feeling something has been recommended to me, but can't remember by whom, and have.

#36 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:51

Probably no. If I have in the past I forgot about it. If it were something important and something that I really wanted I'd not forget.

I was always happy however when my favourite bike rider rode a Honda, later Yamaha. So they followed me.. :p

20 Marlboro twice a week, all thanks to Michael Schumacher.

Seriously, I'll never forget a conversation I had with a friend when I was in middle school, so about 12. Another kid was bragging about smoking, my friend asked him what brand he smoked. Don't remember what the answer was (bullshit lights probably), but my friend said "you should smoke B&H, then you'd be supporting the Jordan F1 team"

If ever there was a justification for banning tobacco advertising....

That's more about branding though. Besides some Asian nations have a new problem. Despite tobacco ads ban, more and more women smoke. So much for laws that don't accomplish much. Also, in my home country, these days there was a news article, about a house which rents their flats to non smokers only. Meaning if the law would work, that story would never have been news worthy to start with.

I smoked 6 months Marlboro, a paket a day. and no it wasn't because of MSC, but because I was interested in a girl. The moment I realised that relationship doesn't go anywhere I did quit smoking.

ADDED:

I remembered I bought Red Bull for the kids once, because they wanted to know how it tastes. We all decided we didn't like it, so that was it.

Edited by HP, 09 May 2017 - 20:54.

#37 HP

HP

• 19,632 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:55

I will not buy a can of Monster just because it has Hamilton's name on it, hate the stuff!

Did someone give you one? How else can you hate that stuff?

#38 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 22:06

Don't really care if a driver endorses a product. I do end up buying products that get advertized in F1 though. Ex: I've been buying Electric Eyewear sunglasses for years until buying my first pair of Ray Bans last summer, I wonder why.

#39 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 00:01

I mean come on, if this doesn't get you switching brand...

Advertisement

#40 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,466 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:53

No

#41 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:55

I don't buy anything which is exactly what Marcus Ericsson is promoting. 

#42 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:38

Generally, no. I'm inclined not to shout too loudly about it though because I like that companies think it does work and continue to inject revenue into our sport.

#43 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:39

I drink Capri-Sun, because (just like Adrian Sutil) I can't be trusted with glasses.

;)

#44 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,672 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:51

I went into hospital to have heart bypass surgery but then Kimi Raikkonen came on the TV and I paid to have a charisma bypass instead.

#45 McLobby

McLobby

• 1,019 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:03

Of course not, drivers wouldn't either if it wasn't for money, so what's the point?

I would prefer a formula without any advertisements, sponsored directly by the wealthy people of the world for the love of the sport,

and not companies.....

How awesome would car liveries be with no product and company logos at all!

#46 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:06

Don't really care if a driver endorses a product. I do end up buying products that get advertized in F1 though. Ex: I've been buying Electric Eyewear sunglasses for years until buying my first pair of Ray Bans last summer, I wonder why.

I bought a pair of Ray Bans over the summer. (Australian summer - northern hemisphere winter.) It wasn't because of them being endorsed though. I was in Rome for a holiday and my glasses broke. I went to the nearest optician where the nice assistant pointed out (in English that put my Italian to shame) that I had three options. Option 1 - She could make me up a new pair at an exorbitant price that would be ready in a couple of days, Option 2 - Duct tape, Option 3 - my lenses were the same size and shape as a pair of Ray Bans so I could buy those and swap the lenses into the Ray Bans frames. Like anyone with an engineering background a Duct tape fix had a certain appeal but in the end I went for the Ray Bans. I hadn't even connected it to F1 advertising until I read your post. 

#47 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:12

No.

Things may have been different if I was old enough to buy my own clothes and copy Michael Schumacher's fashion style in the 90s though :cool: :p 

#48 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:18

I think the point here is clear, fans are not in any way interested in buying products linked to the sport.

But they are aware of them, which is all the sponsors want. They think.

Very few people on here are likely to buy a Rolex, but you might buy a few cans of Heineken if it's on offer. But would you on principle because they sponsor F1 Of course not.

This is why advertising and marketing are so out of touch with the modern world, we see right through them, they still live in the old days and think that having multi-racial families in every family advert or blokes with beards in every advert with  bloke in it, or women having orgasms about hair products or fabric conditioner.  Men do washing to FFS. This, all according to PR wazarks, represents the outside world.

The adverts that work the best are the funny ones, the thought provoking ones.  John West salmon and the bear, Guinness ads with Rutger Hauer, and as ridiculous as it seems now Old Spice and the surfing adonis!  Marlboro man, every fag company tried it but only Marlboro achieved it.  Levi jeans, Wrigley's gum, great music.  Smash potato, Shake and Vac.

These are the things that worked, not a strummy guitar, a bloke with a beard and his nearly always pregnant wife.

#49 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:41

I'd probably smoke Marlboro, but I don't smoke.

I become aware of something if I see it in F1, so in that respect the brand or product appears on my radar and that is their main goal, exposure. However I won't buy something just because of the F1 link with my favourite team or driver.

I certainly won't be drinking the sugary piss water Hamilton is now promoting.

82e95734a3cecb40f5440bf380e99d8d.jpg

#50 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:54

Drink here to massively promote diabetes