- - - - -

Driver Pre Race Briefing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PilotPlant91

PilotPlant91

• 2,286 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:48

I can watch this whole day than the boring driver press conferences due to bizarre media questions.

We need a whole content of this, make it happens Liberty!!

Advertisement

#2 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:29

Wasn't there plans for these to be broadcasted?

#3 SolarWind

SolarWind

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:40

I wonder if Grosjean is still miffed that Lewis hasn't signed onto the GPDA. Interesting stuff regardless...good on Liberty 

#4 RandomG

RandomG

• 509 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:12

I don't think they should release the latest ones. Its quite important to keep these private.

But I think they should release them once they become at least two years old.

#5 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:40

I don't think they should release the latest ones. Its quite important to keep these private.

May I ask why?

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:54

May I ask why?

While I disagree with 2 years, I fully agree with him that they should be published much later (e.g. Season end). The reason is pretty easy: Driver briefings are the only occasions where drivers can tell their own opinion without being under scrunity. If this would be broadcasted they wouldnt do this anymore. And this would be pretty bad.

I wonder if Grosjean is still miffed that Lewis hasn't signed onto the GPDA. Interesting stuff regardless...good on Liberty

Well, by now almost one third of the grid is not in the GPDA. He might be miffed regardless ;)

I dont read anything into that tbh. The question was fair enough.

Edited by Marklar, 10 June 2017 - 08:00.

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,769 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:59

I'm still in 2 minds about it. The thing that bugs me is that there are sometimes things discussed that ends up with CW allowing things that are outside the rules to go unpunished, and only later do we find out that the drivers were briefed about it.

#8 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:02

While I disagree with 2 years, I fulky agree with him that they should be published much later (e.g. Season end). The reason is pretty easy: Driver briefings are the only occasions where drivers can tell their own opinion without being under scrunity. If this would be broadcasted they wouldnt do this anymore. And this would be pretty bad.

Judging by that video though, it looks like they're only going to show "highlights". None of the stuff in there was controversial, a discussion on the Lewis/Seb bollard thing that clarified the situation and a discussion on kerbs (or yellow trampoline as DK brilliantly put it)

So long as they are just cherry picking the amusing bits/stuff fans might like to see for clarification of a rule and not a full video of the briefing I don't see an issue and the drivers can continue to mention the more controversial stuff without fear of it getting seen in public.

#9 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:11

Judging by that video though, it looks like they're only going to show "highlights". None of the stuff in there was controversial, a discussion on the Lewis/Seb bollard thing that clarified the situation and a discussion on kerbs (or yellow trampoline as DK brilliantly put it)

So long as they are just cherry picking the amusing bits/stuff fans might like to see for clarification of a rule and not a full video of the briefing I don't see an issue and the drivers can continue to mention the more controversial stuff without fear of it getting seen in public.

I could imagine that someone like Grosjean is not happy that his private criticism is now public, to name one, which could mean that he isnt going to criticise the next time, which would be a shame. Also, nothing controversial happened yet, the bollard thing is the most 'controversial' one from Spain, so they probably didnt filter it at all. What happens if they have a controversial discussion? Will they stil pick the highlights or will they filter it? Will drivers even dare to speak their mind if they know now that it's broadcasted? That's pretty important to clarify.

#10 K20a

K20a

• 353 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:18

While I disagree with 2 years, I fully agree with him that they should be published much later (e.g. Season end). The reason is pretty easy: Driver briefings are the only occasions where drivers can tell their own opinion without being under scrunity. If this would be broadcasted they wouldnt do this anymore. And this would be pretty bad.

Very good point actually.

#11 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:23

I could imagine that someone like Grosjean is not happy that his private criticism is now public, to name one, which could mean that he isnt going to criticise the next time, which would be a shame. Also, nothing controversial happened yet, the bollard thing is the most 'controversial' one from Spain, so they probably didnt filter it at all. What happens if they have a controversial discussion? Will they stil pick the highlights or will they filter it? Will drivers even dare to speak their mind if they know now that it's broadcasted? That's pretty important to clarify.

It was hardly critism, he just wanted a clarification. Will it be filtered? That's exactly what I was saying, they'll produce a highlights package from it of the funny/informative bits. Same way we don't get every radio transmission, same way the teams are allowing us to see behind the scenes but only what they want us to see.

The video posted is 3 minutes long, these things can go on for ages can't they? Seems clear to me they're only going to show us what the drivers/teams are happy with us seeing.

#12 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:32

It was hardly critism, he just wanted a clarification. Will it be filtered? That's exactly what I was saying, they'll produce a highlights package from it of the funny/informative bits. Same way we don't get every radio transmission, same way the teams are allowing us to see behind the scenes but only what they want us to see.

The video posted is 3 minutes long, these things can go on for ages can't they? Seems clear to me they're only going to show us what the drivers/teams are happy with us seeing.

We'll see. I'm pretty sure that some drivers will be more careful from now regardless what might be promised to be send to the world or not.

#13 BlackGold

BlackGold

• 1,119 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:39

That would only make sense if the driver not have been asked to use these materials in the first place. But I believe Liberty did ask them.

#14 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:41

I think it's important for the drivers to have a forum to be full and frank without being subject to media scrutiny.

The briefings do look very interesting - the driver briefing scene in Senna was fascinating. However I don't think stripping all the mystique away necessarily enhances the experience.

I'm not one of those people who wants full access to all parts of the sport. I'd rather let them do what they need to do in private, then enjoy the on track action that ensues.

#15 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:58

Yes, because by then they will be really relevant...

#16 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:59

See that the kerb in Monaco was the same as last years?

All those news items on that "new", very high kerb and here it is confirmed that it's the same. Driving me nuts.

http://forums.autosp...dpost&p=7957433

Edited by A3, 10 June 2017 - 09:03.

#17 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:08

^^ you mean the "yellow trampoline"

#18 RandomG

RandomG

• 509 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:12

The only reason people want to watch these things is to see the drivers interact with one another. Its still relevant, seeing the old driver briefings is just as interesting. Being able to see people like Schumacher, Montoya, Webber, Barrichello etc in briefings would be very interesting. Also I am sure even the recent stuff, rumours of Rosberg vs Hamilton having snipes at each other in the drivers briefing and stuff. This all interesting for the people to see. Why does it have to be something that is in the definitive moment.

#19 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:15

Interesting video .... 

1. SV is always like that, no matter the occasion - most fun guy in F1, for my money.

2. LH is the king of F1 - at least for the moment.... vid start and ends with him and keeps going back to him even though he says nothing at all. + he doesnt even need to defend himself from RG - FM is his "lawyer" on behalf of "Team Merc" and Whiting makes up a bullshit argument on his behalf.... Ok maybe King is too strong ....  but being the lead driver for the official Merc F1 team sure has its perks.  

3. I love how "Team Merc" feels the need to block out the front row  :p  .... all the guy up front use Merc engines.

4. Was RG really concerned about what LH did in Spain or is he just playing his role as a member of "Team Ferrari"? 

5. Why are "Team Redbull" so concerned about that Kerb?

This is a nice glimpse into the political side of F1.

Advertisement

#20 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:18

Its better if we get them when they are old if it means that the drivers will not be plastic like in the prezzers....

+ its not something I currently have so its not like I will be deprived it I dont get it ... so even old ones will be a bonus on what we get now.

Edited by jjcale, 10 June 2017 - 11:20.

#21 CommonSense

CommonSense

• 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 14:23

In my opinion they should post a video of everything Charlie Whiting says at these meetings as well as a video of the stewards deliberating any potential infractions.  That's the best way to get transparency and consistency.

#22 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 14:33

So going around the bollard is only if you go over the bumps. Or hit them, as in really hit them, not 'don't quite' hit them.

In which case it would be silly and harsh to have to go around the bollard. Which is also true if you go over the bumps when you're "fighting" for position while off track.

And the kerb in Monaco is the same as last year. But it wasn't measured by the FIA this year, nor in 2016. And there's nothing that can be done about it anyway.

Fantastic. Great stuff.  :stoned:  :up:

#23 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 16:43

The three-minute video of the briefing proved to be one of Formula 1's most popular pieces of content produced over the Canadian GP weekend, but it is understood that there are no plans at present to make it a regular occurrence.

However, it is possible that the situation could be reconsidered later in the year.

One of the issues with having television cameras inside the briefing is that it could change the nature of the meeting – and make either the drivers or the FIA more reluctant to speak candidly about important safety and sporting issues because their comments would be effectively in public.

https://www.motorspo...g-video-917316/