Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - The storm before the calm?

• Please log in to reply
765 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,302 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:35

Before the F1 drivers can head off to the magic island which is called Mykonos they first have to race on the Hungaroring. A track which used to be a real borefest, but which has become one of the best race tracks in the DRS era.

As you can see the FIA was too slow this time or the hype is really over.....
1468859259715.png
With its many medium speed corners it might be what Ferrari and Red Bull needed after Mercedes dominated Silverstone in old fashion. Many teams are expected to have significant upgrades. Budapest is relatively similar track to Monaco, so it will be interesting to see to which extend Mercedes has improved since then. If the trend of the last races continues then Vettel could well lose the championship lead for the first time this season. 

tumblr_ny635wrgUy1s9l8tco1_500.gif

The weather is expected to be dry and hot too, sunday could even reach 35 °C. But....

65leZeQ.jpg

...Pirelli with a pretty conservative choice. The same as last year, but after the tyre blow ups in Silverstone and the expected temperatures it might be for the better......

Besides the usual press conference (15:00  :yawnface:) there will be also a two seater experience for the fans on thursday (also on all other days). 

Anyway, the schedule for the Hungarian GP

FRIDAY
10:00  FP1
11:55  GP2 - Practice
14:00  FP2
15:55  GP2 - Qualifying
16:00  Team principals press conference
16:45  Porsche Supercup - Practice
17:50  GP3 - Practice

SATURDAY
09:45  GP3 - Qualifying
11:00  FP3
12:20  Porsche Supercup - Qualifying
14:00  Qualifying
16:00  GP2 - Race
17:35  GP3 - Race

SUNDAY
09:10  GP3 - Race
10:20  GP2 - Race
11:30  Porsche Supercup - Race
14:00  Race

A race which might have some special importance for the championship as the winners of the last 12 races never went on to win the title. Though then again most of the winners in the last few years were not even the title fight in the first place, so perhaps Alonso will get the required win for his contract extension here.

And a quiz to get into the mood

PS: This thread is Hair-FREE.

Advertisement

#2 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:39

Without a Finnish GP in the calendar, this is "the closest" we get.

Hope to see lots of fellow countrymen waving flags around, and the anthem played at the end would be the best reward for them (and us) all.

Go Bottas, go Räikkönen!

#3 Shepherd

Shepherd

• 168 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:55

Yay, my home race.

I expect Lewis to have a clear edge on the contenders, with RB interfering with the lesser top team drivers. I also expect some reliability issue at the sharp end of the grid. It's been a while.

#4 P123

P123

• 24,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:56

Hair we go!

#5 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 1,207 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:01

Hair we go!

Booooooooo(uffant).

#6 tngy

tngy

• 272 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:02

A repeat of 2015 would be cool.

#7 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,727 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:08

I want to congratulate all McLarenHonda fans for our first podium since the reunion. This is a well earned one.

The win was on but unfortunately I jinxed it but podium finish is a huge achievement as well so Well done McLarenHonda.

#8 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:30

I want to congratulate all McLarenHonda fans for our first podium since the reunion. This is a well earned one.

The win was on but unfortunately I jinxed it but podium finish is a huge achievement as well so Well done McLarenHonda.

Yes, congratulations and all, but don't you think you should also spare a moment of concern for all those effected by the small atomic blast in the pit lane taking out most of the field?

Oh, and congratulations Sauber on your first 1-2!!! Who would have thought Ericsson would win this race!

#9 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:38

If Ferrari fails to win yet again, the Ferrari thread should be interesting to read. :up:

I don't care too much for Verstappen despite every Dutch publication steering its audience that way, but I do think it's high time for the guy to be on the podium again. :up:

Not-so-bold prediction: Hamilton will lead the WDC into the summer break.

#10 MRswede

MRswede

• 39 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:48

Im doing my first live GP for this one.. Will probably skip friday. Whats not to miss, both in town and on racetrack?

#11 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:52

I expect quali will be mega.

Remember it was wet last year and then we had the Q3 yellow flags so the ultimate 2016 pace wasn't fulfilled.

They'll be buried in the 1:16s I think...

Hopefully we get super high air temp on Sunday to play havoc with the cars!

I think because:
The Championship is so close
We could have three teams challenging
The track is windy and tight

It feels like a perfect time to have a great race before the break!

Edited by TomNokoe, 25 July 2017 - 12:55.

#12 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,978 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:52

RB performance will be interesting to see

Their ok performance in Baku/Austria makes it look like they could be close to Mercedes here although Silverstone not so much

They have been focusing on this race though and have a big update package so I think we could have a close race

#13 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 13:08

If Ferrari fails to win yet again, the Ferrari thread should be interesting to read. :up:

I don't care too much for Verstappen despite every Dutch publication steering its audience that way, but I do think it's high time for the guy to be on the podium again. :up:

Not-so-bold prediction: Hamilton will lead the WDC into the summer break.

I don't see how Ferrari can win over the course of the race with those 2 fast Mercedeses around them, coupled with some kind of strategic blunder from the red team. Vettel will likely be very jumpy and Kimi very relaxed :)

Yes, it would be time for Verstappen to be on the podium again, but he's lately more likely to be taken out in the beginning of the race somehow. I've heard Red Bull should be a little better on this track so one of them could be in the fight for the last podium place. My bold prediction is Alonso in the points

#14 Whiz

Whiz

• 857 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 13:40

Poor Kimi :cry:

#15 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 13:46

Not the best tracks ever for overtaking but Ferrari have a flexible floor, Redbull have a flexible end plate and Mclaren have a flexible driver .....

Andy

#16 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:10

Maybe the Bottas dive-bomb will take out Vettel this time instead of Kimi and Max, or dare I say it .... Lewis. :well:

#17 peroa

peroa

• 10,785 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:16

Well, the cold front passed today and every day from now one is expected to be hotter than the previous. It would surpise me if temps were below 35C.

#18 Mendel

Mendel

• 343 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:20

Without a Finnish GP in the calendar, this is "the closest" we get.

Hope to see lots of fellow countrymen waving flags around, and the anthem played at the end would be the best reward for them (and us) all.

Go Bottas, go Räikkönen!

Will you be there? If so, I´d like to ask for a link to any picture album you might get from there. 

#19 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:23

Maybe the Bottas dive-bomb will take out Vettel this time instead of Kimi and Max, or dare I say it .... Lewis. :well:

Let's just hope Bottas doesn't go around crashing into people this time. It'll be better for everyone! :p

Advertisement

#20 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:32

A repeat of 1997 would be good.  But with....  Alonso.

#21 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:35

A repeat of 1997 would be good.  But with....  Alonso.

Has the man not suffered enough? :stoned:

Sporting wise, that is. He's probably already broken a couple of records for the salary-to-points ratio.

#22 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,441 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:36

Let's just hope Bottas doesn't go around crashing into people this time. It'll be better for everyone! :p

Barring drivers who would benefit from their competitors being taken out, of course. :p

#23 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,676 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:43

Mercedes certainly seem to have improved more than Ferrari over recent races, and Hungary is a happy hunting ground for Hamilton, but I'm not sure that combo is quite enough for me to forget about what happened at Monaco. I'm not sure this is going to be the obvious Mercedes walkover that many seem to be predicting.

I suspect a tight battle, with potentially qualifying and turn 1 deciding it.

#24 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:47

Will you be there? If so, I´d like to ask for a link to any picture album you might get from there. 

Nope, not this year, so sorry no pictures from me.

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:48

Hungary is a happy hunting ground for Hamilton

Hungary is also the scene of one of his most ragged performances in recent years, though.

But he's definitely no stranger to this twisty circuit. :up:

#26 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,851 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:49

I would love the Hungarian GP if for no other reason than in years past, it has been the favoured location for either Lewis Hamilton or Fernando Alonso to lob a drama hand grenade into their own garage. Who can forget such exciting moments as Alonso telling the press he wanted someone else's car for his birthday or Lewis refusing to pull over for Nico? Or for that matter, both driver's greatest hit, their duet in not getting out of each other's way while at McLaren in 2007? There's generally been something going on, or there has been until I have now just jinxed it.

#27 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:49

Has the man not suffered enough? :stoned:

Sporting wise, that is. He's probably already broken a couple of records for the salary-to-points ratio.

Oops, I should have said, with Alonso, and a happy ending!! 

#28 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,910 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:50

well, I have to play avoid all sites until i seen qualfying as i am out in the afternoon and have to miss who gets pole live and i have put it on record with the F2 & GP3 series as well 

#29 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:54

You know what folks..

It is a possibility that after this race we go to summer break with Valtteri Bottas leading the championship. :smoking:

Edited by RECKLESS, 25 July 2017 - 14:55.

#30 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 16:05

Well, the cold front passed today and every day from now one is expected to be hotter than the previous. It would surpise me if temps were below 35C.

Every online forecast I look at it is much more conservative with their forecast of air temperature, some even below 30°C.

However, OP Marklar made reference to it too.

How come?! :p

#31 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 16:10

When did last time Merc engine blow up. It's time.   :cool:

#32 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 16:15

When did last time Merc engine blow up. It's time.   :cool:

but this time it will be Bottas, as last time it was Hamilton

#33 Laster

Laster

• 3,951 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 16:24

but this time it will be Bottas, as last time it was Hamilton

Last time it was Bottas, in Spain. Hamilton hasn't had an engine failure since last year.

#34 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:03

Last time it was Bottas, in Spain. Hamilton hasn't had an engine failure since last year.

I stand corrected, bring on the next Merc engine failure :)

Joking, I don't necessarily wish anything bad to happen on anyone, just an exciting race like all of us. Speaking of which, anybody have any views on the Red Bull boys? Last race we saw Verstappen finally finish a race, who do you think will win the teammate war in Hungary? Ricciardo seems like the slow and steady wins the race kinda driver, and seems to come up with a good results by the end, whereas Verstappen seems to go for a good result by some drastic move and it either works or it doesn't. I don't remember him being a threat in the last few laps of the races....

Glad that Verstappen has responded to Vettel's jibes, wouldn't mind seeing more mid race action from those 2, but it seems they're both the right type of personality to make something happen, although it was pretty fair last time out, Vettel pushed him a bit so Max pushed him back on the next corner

#35 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:14

Yay! Bring it on :up: ...And those moaners consistently bitching about how F1 has gone to the dogs...Well, the door is over there ...And please don't slam it on your way out!  Oh! Welcome back..It's one of those  revolving doors these days eh! :p

#36 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:18

You know what folks..

It is a possibility that after this race we go to summer break with Valtteri Bottas leading the championship. :smoking:

In your dreams obviously! :D  ..But yeah. A real statistical probability! :up:

#37 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:32

In your dreams obviously! :D  ..But yeah. A real statistical probability! :up:

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing - and it usually does." -Murray Walker

#38 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,950 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 18:48

What happened last year? Can't remember a thing.

Everyone says Hungaroring is great nowadays, but I think the good races (2006, 2014 & 2015) are rare anomalies. But since it's the last Hungarian GP with open cockpit, we ought to cherish it.

#39 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 19:06

Everyone says Hungaroring is great nowadays, but I think the good races (2006, 2014 & 2015) are rare anomalies. But since it's the last Hungarian GP with open cockpit, we ought to cherish it.

Rosberg took pole after not backing off under yellows.

Hamilton beat him into T1.

That's it.

Advertisement

#40 Lights

Lights

• 17,879 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 19:23

I want an Alonso-2003-esque weekend by Verstappen, please. Including a post-race belly rub by a nude model/team principal.

Wait am I jinxing Max like this the entire season already?

Edited by Lights, 25 July 2017 - 19:24.

#41 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 2,705 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 19:30

Throw 2011 in there aswell. Guess what they have in common (excluding 2015) " I can't stand the rain,against my windowww ". The mercs and hamiltons magic around here will be tough to beat. Not only that but these people saying Mercs tyre troubles will come back to bite them(layout is like monaco :rolleyes: ) need to remember no ultrasoft tyre to be used this weekend. They have been generally quicker on the other compounds and consistant but we will see. Ferrari and Redbull will be closer than Silverstone thats for sure.  

#42 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 20:24

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing - and it usually does." -Murray Walker

Don't make me laugh!...This the same Murray Walker that came up with these hilarious  gems...https://www.youtube....h?v=A0TZ_YLQSgg... :rotfl:

#43 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 20:45

I predict 3 genuine overtakes...

#44 Dabash

Dabash

• 933 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 22:58

I predict 3 genuine overtakes...

And 2 of them will be at the start before turn 1

#45 davidlan

davidlan

• 461 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:28

Yay! Bring it on :up: ...And those moaners consistently bitching about how F1 has gone to the dogs...Well, the door is over there ...And please don't slam it on your way out!  Oh! Welcome back..It's one of those  revolving doors these days eh! :p

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Yup

Dave

#46 Blackmamba

Blackmamba

• 329 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:59

I'm looking forward to watching Lewis Hamilton match the pole record of Michael Schumacher of 68 poles. Quite a huge land mark if you ask me. And he is normally quite rapid at the Hungaroring so its entirely possible he could get it done. Come on Lewis! 

#47 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,904 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:10

Lewis Hamilton has a proper shlid.

That is all.

#48 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:02

Ferrari should be very fast here, their car works on these tight tracks. I predict it will be within a tenth or three between Ferrari and Mercedes. Red Bull will probably disappoint as usual.

Hopefully Merc lwb dominance will continue after the break when we get back to the long, flowing tracks.

When did Bottas dive bomb anybody? It is confusing the way his good name is getting sullied around this forum.

#49 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:20

Yeah there's only been one dive bomber in the last few years and his name is Kvyat.

#50 pkonsti

pkonsti

• 126 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:57

The results of the Hungarian GP's so far (1986-2016), drivers, and teams also:

http://www.kepfeltol...rivers_resu.jpg

http://www.kepfeltol...rivers_laps.jpg

http://www.kepfeltol...eams_result.jpg

http://www.kepfeltol...eams_laps_l.jpg

http://www.kepfeltol...at_Trick_Gr.jpg

Edited by pkonsti, 26 July 2017 - 08:32.