Photo

Leo Kinnunen 1943-2017

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,136 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 20:31

Finnish newspapers report Leo Kinnunen is dead.

RIP

Edited by Leif Snellman, 26 July 2017 - 20:32.

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 21:05

What tremendously sad, albeit not surprising news. Sadly, reading the reports, he appears to have gone downhill quite quickly in the last year.

Of course, he was the very first of all the Finns into Formula 1, the last man to race in Formula 1 with an open-faced helmet and a damn good sportscar, ice racer and rally driver too.

RIP.

#3 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,181 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 21:30

RIP

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 21:49

RIP

#5 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 22:13

Very sad - R.I.P.

#6 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,813 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:15

Sad news.

#7 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:49

Please, please, do not remember Leo Kinnunen as the first Finnish F1 driver! That was such a forgettable episode in a career, which on a number of occasions showed flashes of brilliance.

He managed to beat Ronnie Peterson in F3, he was amazing winning the two Nordic Challenge Cup Races in 1969 with hardly any previous experience of sports prototypes, his Targa Florio lap record will stand for all time, etc. And even in the latter part of the 70's he won a Finnish Championship rally with a Volvo 66, i.e. a DAF!

His car control was sheer genius. It was only an extreme sensitivity to issues in and out of a car that kept him from realizing the full potential of his outstanding talent.

#8 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,181 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 15:03

Please, please, do not remember Leo Kinnunen as the first Finnish F1 driver! That was such a forgettable episode in a career, which on a number of occasions showed flashes of brilliance.

He managed to beat Ronnie Peterson in F3, he was amazing winning the two Nordic Challenge Cup Races in 1969 with hardly any previous experience of sports prototypes, his Targa Florio lap record will stand for all time, etc. And even in the latter part of the 70's he won a Finnish Championship rally with a Volvo 66, i.e. a DAF!

His car control was sheer genius. It was only an extreme sensitivity to issues in and out of a car that kept him from realizing the full potential of his outstanding talent.

You knew him, he was a true great driver.... I have retired for a while from my writings to take a rest, apart my thesis, which is also about motor racing, and on the early 70's newspapers he was widely praised as a great sportscar and rally driver. In fact, he was the first Finn in F1, sasly neither the budget nor the car helped a little

#9 Greatest

Greatest

• 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 16:51

I also knew him personally and I have to say that he was one of the most genuine person I have known. The first time I met him was almost 20 years ago and back then, I respected him for his racing achievements. After meeting him several times I also respected him as a person and a man. He was a quiet and polite man, extremely friendly towards a young motor racing historian.

The last time I saw him was last month, in June, when Leo was with her daughter Nina alongside River Aura in the city of Turku, Finland.

There was a city festival taking place and as I walked past the tent where Leo was sitting in his wheelchair and it looked his daughter was giving him some food to eat, for a moment I thought of going to greet them.

However, as I watched this frail man enjoying his meal and his daughter stroking his hair, I felt it wasn't necessary nor appropriate to interrupt them and their beautiful moment together. In a way I am happy I left them alone.

I want to thank Leo once again for his kindness towards me and for his time spent during our discussions. On a personal note, I will keep his memory alive and I will also remember him as a very likable man.

I also want to send my sincerest condolences to Leo's family and his friends during this sad time.

#10 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 17:03

RIP, Leo :cry:

#11 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 18:02

Already created a thread to remember Leo on the Racing Comments side but would also like to pay my tribute to him as one of the Finnish motorsports pioneers here. His versatility on different vehicles and surfaces was just amazing. He has been an inspiration and idol to so many Finnish drivers that list probably never ends.

Also I agree that his F1 endeavour is not perhaps the right thing to emphasise rather than his sports car and rallying careers. Unfortunately doors never really opened for him in open wheel racing even though he had ones like Jochen Rindt and Ronnie Petterson to support and encourage him.

I'd like to link here this video, that is from his 1970 World Sports Cars Championship season. Obviously much emphasis on the video is on Rodriguez and Siffert, who were the lead drivers. However, it also mentions Leo's heroic Targa Florio lap record that remains unbroken, even though apparently Helmut Marko once came rather close.

Rest in Peace Leo.

#12 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 19:51

Thanks Jvr for your remembrances and for posting this fine video. I am with you on F1, not the be all for every driver. I saw Leo once at the Glen 6 hours and he was a winner with Pedro. That is how I will remember him.

God speed Leo.