Martin Brundle's dig at Alonso for having fun on deck chair

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#1 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:10

Brundle's Tweet on Alonso

"Alonso prob better than 3 guys on podium. Sad he's joking in a deck chair, waste of talent and reminds team bosses why they don't want him"

https://twitter.com/...660205578227712

-------------------------------------

Brundle is being slaughtered by fans on Twitter for his cheap dig at Alonso for having fun on a deck chair after the race especially since yesterday was his birthday.

I find it hard why a person like Brundle thinks a driver having fun with the fans in what looks like something organised by Liberty themselves.

Brundle thinks doing shoey is fun but it is unprofessional to pose on a deck chair after the race. In my opinion fans need more drivers with personality like Alonso and Ricciardo. Yes one has the right to like or not like it but to extend it to saying how Alonso is not wanted by top teams because of a harmless fun activity is simply absurd and ridiculous. What do you think guys..

Edited by Quickshifter, 30 July 2017 - 18:13.

Advertisement

#2 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:13

I don't think it's a dig I think he's just saying that he should be in a top team, but in a slightly weird way. (perhaps)  :stoned:

#3 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,765 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:14

As hard as i try i can't imagine what is wrong about what Alonso did.

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,302 posts

Today is #gate day.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,143 posts

If Brundle's right (and he's a bit closer to the team bosses than most of us), that's a sad reflection on F1.

#6 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

I don't think it's a dig I think he's just saying that he should be in a top team, but in a slightly weird way. (perhaps) :stoned:

Read the tweet again and also the comments posted by fans below the tweet. He is hinting at how top team bosses don't want him because of him having fun on deck chair. I don't know how he came to a conclusion like that. The first part of the tweet is fine but the second part is simply in poor taste.

Edited by Quickshifter, 30 July 2017 - 18:16.

#7 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:18

Wups, Button has just responded:

"Totally agree Martin, how dare an F1 driver have a personality and bring fun to a sport that sometimes takes itself way too seriously"

#8 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

I don't understand this tweet at all. In what way Alonso sitting on a chair for obviously comedic purposes reminds F1 bosses why they don't want him?

#9 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,860 posts

It's a really weird thing to say because I think it's seems clear it was done with the full cooperation of FOM.

Unless fans just happen to have on them a deckahir and professional signs thanking people for watching F1 and wishing them well for the summer break just on the offchance there's an Alonso mural at the track and he might be game for a laugh

#10 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:19

Read the tweet again and also the comments posted by fans below the tweet. He is hinting at how top team bosses don't want him because of him having fun on deck chair.

I don't really get why Brundle thinks this though. Today he put in an amazing performance with his car, and is also able to humour and entertain fans. He should tick all the boxes. No?

#11 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:20

Brundle's Tweet on Alonso

"Alonso prob better than 3 guys on podium. Sad he's joking in a deck chair, waste of talent and reminds team bosses why they don't want him"

https://twitter.com/...660205578227712

-------------------------------------

isn't that a "dig" at everyone else, though, particularly mclaren? seems like he's actually praising alonso, hard.

#12 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:20

I can only think he thinks Alonso is somehow sticking two fingers up to F1 or something but that makes no sense as it was plainly part of The Show.

#13 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:22

I don't understand this tweet at all. In what way Alonso sitting on a chair for obviously comedic purposes reminds F1 bosses why they don't want him?

and how is it a "dig" saying that alonso is better than the three on the podium? ... i don't understand what's going on here...

#14 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:23

Saw that when Brundle first posted it and had no idea what he was getting at.

I think we have to bear in mind he is probably heavily medicated at the moment.

#15 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:24

Alonso came back from Indy and said the biggest difference was how drivers engage with fans in the two series. So i don't know how engaging with fans is unprofessional especially when the whole thing was organised by liberty themselves.

#16 ANF

ANF

• 29,740 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:24

The team bosses don't want him because he has a sense of humour? Wow.

#17 GTA

GTA

• 2,588 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:26

He is reaching out to the fans and it's great for the sport. 

F1 has been a walled garden for a long time and a bit of outreach is highly appreciated. A guy like Fernando has millions of fans and he has gained thousands recently across the Atlantic. 

Martin should learn to let go once a while. He is a commentator and it's his job to say things but he is clearly off the mark here. Everyone I spoke with after the race found it hilarious and lauded Fernando for being a great sport...

Edited by GTA, 30 July 2017 - 18:26.

#18 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:26

Saw that when Brundle first posted it and had no idea what he was getting at.

I think we have to bear in mind he is probably heavily medicated at the moment.

he's, literally saying, that it's sad that alonso is fooling around in deck chairs instead of being on the podium, being in his opinion better than all three on it.

wh... what is people smoking :confused:

#19 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,765 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:31

he's, literally saying, that it's sad that alonso is fooling around in deck chairs instead of being on the podium, being in his opinion better than all three on it.

You are ignoring the whole tweet?

At the end he is saying " and reminds team bosses why they don't want him".

So while he praises his talent he also says that something about his character/ behaviour makes team bosses not want him.

And he uses the example of Alonso having fun in a chair after the race and entertaining spectators.. A criticism which makes no f... sense.

Edited by Diablobb81, 30 July 2017 - 18:32.

Advertisement

#20 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:31

Do you want to explain how "reminds team bosses why they don't want him" is a positive or why it's justified by what he did today? 

#21 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:34

Check out Jenson's reply to Brundle

#22 OO7

OO7

• 23,418 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:34

It's been a strange weekend.  What did Stoffel Vandoorne mean?  What did Martin Brundle mean?  What did Toto 'Fist Bang' Wolff mean?

#23 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,302 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:35

It's been a strange weekend.  What did Stoffel Vandoorne mean?  What did Martin Brundle mean?  What did Toto 'Fist Bang' Wolff mean?

Clearly they all wanted to give us something for the summer break

Thank you!

#24 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,840 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:36

He's saying "what a waste of talent" he should be driving for a top team.

#25 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,860 posts

OO7! We need these things to tide us over the summer break! let us have this.

#26 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

you got a whole month to figure out the answers to these burning questions.

and also understand how KMags balls impact all this.

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,143 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:37

I can only think he thinks Alonso is somehow sticking two fingers up to F1 or something but that makes no sense as it was plainly part of The Show.

Maybe Brundle's still thinking about what things were like when Bernie was in charge. 

#28 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:38

Well I think you should answer your question, clearly. :lol:

#29 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Martin Brundle has always been a bit of a tool.

#30 OO7

OO7

• 23,418 posts

you got a whole month to figure out the answers to these burning questions.

and also understand how KMags balls impact all this.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to mention a fellows balls closely followed by the word 'impact'.

#31 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:39

He's saying "what a waste of talent" he should be driving for a top team.

And the reason according to Brundle as to why Alonso is not driving for a top team is that team bosses do not like f1 drivers having fun on a deck chair.

Edited by Quickshifter, 30 July 2017 - 18:39.

#32 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Maybe Brundle's still thinking about what things were like when Bernie was in charge. 

what's he's saying is that Alonso has turned himself into a walking meme instead of a candidate for a Merc/Ferrari seat

whether you agree with him or not is a different story

#33 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,654 posts

Apparently the top teams and F1 have different philosophies on the direction of this sport.

For God's sake, there was an Alonso deck chair mural in parc ferme.  Who do you think sanctioned that?

#34 quaint

quaint

• 831 posts

I'm fairly sure that if there's a reason why many team bosses don't want Alonso is because he is not perceived as a good team player. Not commenting on if that's a correct impression, but it is what it is.

#35 smr

smr

• 1,905 posts

I don't understand the tweet either. 

Put it this way, if I was a team boss today and had to sign two drivers up Alonso would be without hesitation would be my first choice.

#36 OO7

OO7

• 23,418 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:41

Did the deck chair just materialise into Parc Ferme, like in Star Trek?

Edited by OO7, 30 July 2017 - 18:41.

#37 KonDing75

KonDing75

• 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:42

If I were Mercedes I'd sign Alonso asap, I know Hamilton did well against Fernando but I have a feeling Alonso would be doing great in the other Mercedes. When one driver has a bad day at the office more often than not the other would be winning if Hamilton and him were teammates.

#38 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Do you want to explain how "reminds team bosses why they don't want him" is a positive or why it's justified by what he did today? 

yes, because saying, (again) literally, that alonso is better than vettel, kimi and bottas is anything but, a "dig". it's the precise opposite. sitting in a deck chair when you could be on the podium IS, a reminder that team bosses "don't want him".

#39 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

It can be read somewhat in jest, in that team bosses are being very short sighted by prioritising harmony over Alonso's speed.

Advertisement

#40 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:44

During Barcelona qualifying Alonso was interviewed along with top three qualifiers because liberty want to cash in on Alonso's popularity. They are trying to market drivers differently through fan engagement and i am glad at least Liberty are not hung up their high arse about age old stale customs of political correctness that has created a barrier between the fans and the drivers. They are encouraging drivers to portray their natural self because they know that is what fans love.

Edited by Quickshifter, 30 July 2017 - 18:45.

#41 nookie

nookie

• 1,423 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:46

You are ignoring the whole tweet?

i'm not 'ignoring' anything. i merely think that saying alonso is better than two former world champions with four wdc' between them, that just happened to be on the podium today, kind of trumps the last comment. he obviously didn't have a "dig" at alonso, he's having a dig at everyone else, including the ones not queuing to hire him.

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:46

What a great thing to complain about! :clap:

It angers me when former F1 drivers stick a boot into F1 for publicity. They had privileged chances, success, cash. Give something positive back.

These may or may not be Brundle's own words.

#43 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:47

yes, because saying, (again) literally, that alonso is better than vettel, kimi and bottas is anything but, a "dig". it's the precise opposite. sitting in a deck chair when you could be on the podium IS, a reminder that team bosses "don't want him".

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm understanding that. Are you suggesting Alonso doing *anything* that reminds bosses he exists will always reminds them why they don't want him? I apologise if that's not what you're saying but it's the only thing I can guess from that.

#44 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Martin says it is a reminder "WHY" team bosses don't want him.

Like, literally, it can be interpreted as Fernando not being signed because he does zany stunts like that.

I think you are a little lost here.

#45 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

i'm not 'ignoring' anything. i merely think that saying alonso is better than two former world champions with four wdc' between them, that just happened to be on the podium today, kind of trumps the last comment. he obviously didn't have a "dig" at alonso, he's having a dig at everyone else, including the ones not queuing to hire him.

May be Jenson Button has also gotten it wrong.

#46 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:48

Erm, it's a compliment to Alonso?

#47 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,291 posts

He knows more than we do. He clearly knows fir sure that the reason he has limited options is because of his antics in the last few seasons - his outbursts, his negative outspoken comments etc.
The comments are harsh maybe, but probably have some truth to them.

#48 Alonsofan007

Alonsofan007

• 2,219 posts

he said a few times live  on skyf1 that he still doesn't like deck chair thing n that is one of the reasons top teams don't want him etc. So, you got it wrong.

#49 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

At first I read it as sarcasm, but on second reading it is a bit harsh - I'm assuming Brundle was assuming Alonso was having another dig at the team, but obviously that's far from the truth. 

May it was a sarcastic post but he worded it terribly. Let's see if there's any follow up. 

#50 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:49

Martin Brundle Retweeted Jenson Button

My point JB is that Fernando is not a comedy act under a podium full of Ferrari/Merc drivers,he deserves to be up there fighting for champs