Photo

Le Mans - driving more than 20 hours

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,856 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:48

There were some drivers in the past who drove more than 20 hours solo!

Luigi Chinetti 23h 40 => I don't know what year exactly. Any help?

Louis Rosier won in 1950 with his son Jean-Louis Rosier driving 23h 15 minutes

Pierre Levegh 1952 driving almost 23 hours

Raymond Sommer driving over 20 hours in 1932 after Chinetti is ill.

Eddie Hall in 1950 was also driving solo.

Are there any quotes? Feedbacks? Interviews? with them explaining how they feel, how they remember that monster runs?

Advertisement

#2 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:23

Didn't Rob Walker do most of the race in 1939?  IIRC, his co-driver had to head home on the Saturday evening for some reason, and Rob (who had changed into evening wear) got into the car.  Supposedly, he made a lengthy stop just after dawn to change into his lounge suit as a gentleman ought not wear evening dress after sunrise.

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 19:10

I think the last year a driver could do this was 1952.   After Levegh's attempt where he reportedly made an error due to fatigue the ACO got nervous and imposed a limit.

#4 klemcoll

klemcoll

• 187 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 00:11

Chinetti's drive was in 1949. His co-driver was Lord Selsdon (Peter Mitchell-Thomson). Chinettii won the 24 Hours three times.

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:22

Didn't Rob Walker do most of the race in 1939?  IIRC, his co-driver had to head home on the Saturday evening for some reason, and Rob (who had changed into evening wear) got into the car.  Supposedly, he made a lengthy stop just after dawn to change into his lounge suit as a gentleman ought not wear evening dress after sunrise.

My favourite Rob Walker story is how he attended the Long Beach GP, and was told he'd be staying on the Queen Mary. He asked, "Will I be able to have my usual cabin?"

#6 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 17:19

My favourite Rob Walker story is how he attended the Long Beach GP, and was told he'd be staying on the Queen Mary. He asked, "Will I be able to have my usual cabin?"

Is it apocryphal that his passport showed hos profession or occupation as "Gentleman", I wonder? :cool:

#7 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,856 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:49

are there some quotes from that long-driving drivers about their drives?