Photo

Formula Vee Finland 1968

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 525 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 19:24

I'm intrigued by Niki Lauda's apparent entry in a Formula Vee race in Finland late in1968. In separate and unrelated interviews, both Lauda and the Kaimann FVee team boss Kurt Bergmann specifically refer to the Austrian being allowed to race in an F Vee event "in Finland" that year - possibly as his first outing in the car - on the proviso that he drove the car and trailer there himself. They both report he did so and returned the car without incident. However, this race doesn't appear in any of the chronologies or appendices of the various biographies, and I can't find a record of an event that fits the bill. Is anyone able cast any light on where and when the meeting happened and how Lauda got on?

Advertisement

#2 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:57

I'm not sure if you know this one, I don't know how easy it is to find a copy of this book, or some one who might have it, but you may find something in it ?

Michael

https://asiakas.koti...toria_pieni.jpg

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:50

The person (or one if the people) behind that book posted here briefly as Scuderia Naftalin:

http://forums.autosp...deria-naftalin/

Here's a link to the website (where Lauda's name appears on their F Vee page):

https://www.scuderianaftalin.com/

There's some discussion about the book in this earlier thread where a couple of TNF members say they bought the book - perhaps one if them might be willing to check through it for any Lauda references.

#4 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:43

The race took place in Keimola on September 8th and was part of a contest between national teams from Austria and Finland, the first leg of which had taken place in Zeltweg. Each team consisted of five drivers, Austria being represented in Keimola by Günther Huber (Kaimann), Helmut Marko (Kaimann), Lothar Shoerg (Austro), Niki Lauda (Kaimann) and Walter Bossek (Kaimann). Finns felt the Austrians had a clear edge with more power from their engines. Huber and Marko particularly were in a class of their own, pulling out a gap of over 20 seconds in a race lasting just over half an hour and finishing less than 0,1 sec apart. Schoerg finished third with Lauda on his tail. Best of the home drivers was Mikko Kozarowitzky (Veemax) in fifth, while Bossek was eighth. I have results with 20 drivers, last of them Markku Koiranen, father of Jari and Marko, who went on to form the successful Koiranen Bros. team.

After the Keimola race Lauda and Schoerg drove to Hämeenlinna to have a look at the Ahvenisto circuit, but apparently did not like what they saw, turning back and skipping the FVee race there the following weekend. Both were to return, however, Niki finishing fourth in a Formula 3 race there in 1970.

(This info does not come from the book mentioned above, although it too mentions the same race and has mug shots taken of Lauda and Marko in Keimola.)

Edited by proviz, 20 September 2017 - 07:54.

#5 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 525 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 16:08

Proviz - that's fantastic information and thanks for that. It does throw up a further query though, that being Lauda's fourth place at Hämeenlinna / Ahvenisto in a 1970 F3 race. Again, this race is notably absent from any of Lauda the biographies or index of his results. I know he was in Scandinavia in August 1970, competing on the 9th in the F3 Karlskoga Kanloppet and in his Porsche 908/2 in the GP Sverige at the same circuit; he was at Knutstopr for the F3 race on the 16th and then in Finland at the Keimola Interserie event on the 23rd. I am guessing that the Hämeenlinna meeting was earlier, as he was at the F3 Zandvoort Trophy meeting on the 30th? Any light you can cast on his Finnish adventure would again be hugely appreciated.

#6 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 23:11

According to the book published by Scuderia Naftalin, the race in Ahvenisto took place in June 14, 1970. The book just says that Lauda was there without mentioning his result but gives the names of the first four classified finishers as Peter Hanson, Conny Andersson, James Hunt and Fredy Kottulinsky. 

#7 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:24

The results in Finland's leading motor sport magazine of the period have Lauda in fourth, although over 20 seconds behind Hunt. The results list 11 finishers including such notables as Manfred Mohr (8.) and Hannelore Werner (9.), but no mention of Kottulinsky.

#8 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 17:16

Kottulinsky raced at Knutstorp in Sweden on the same date as the race at Hämeenlinna.

#9 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 525 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 13:47

Thanks guys - again, top quality. Without TNF, one would never be able to divine such information ; thanks for taking the time. 

#10 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:53

The results in Finland's leading motor sport magazine of the period have Lauda in fourth, although over 20 seconds behind Hunt. The results list 11 finishers including such notables as Manfred Mohr (8.) and Hannelore Werner (9.), but no mention of Kottulinsky.

May I ask what was the name of this magazine?

#11 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 15:39

That's VM - Vauhdin Maailma. Usually the best Finnish motor sport publication since its inception in 1965, but with a decidedly sloppy period during the editor who reigned from 2008 until this year.

#12 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 14:54

Thank you! I think in this magazine must be something about the events in Tallinn in 1969 and in Leningrad in 1970 in which Finnish drivers took part - a sort of view 'from the other side'. The only problem is to find the magazine - I managed to discover Helsingin Sanomat in Russian State Library but failed to do the same with Tekniikan Maailma, so it's a big question if there is Vauhdin Maailma available there. In any way, it's worth trying.