• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,720 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:45

Jon Noble‏ @NobleF1  9m9 minutes ago
Shake up of #F1 broadcasting in USA as ESPN takes over from NBC.

The NBC press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, October 4th, 2017

STATEMENT FROM AN NBC SPORTS SPOKESPERSON ON FORMULA ONE MEDIA RIGHTS

October 4, 2017
“Although we take great pride in having grown Formula One’s visibility and viewership since we became its exclusive U.S. media rights holder in 2013, this will be our last season with the series. In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners. We wish the new owners of F1 well.”

-NBC SPORTS GROUP-

From 2018, ESPN will broadcast all races live in the United States after signing a new multi-year partnership.
All 21 races will be broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC

source: https://www.motorspo...-tv-nbc-961233/

Advertisement

#2 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:49

Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't wait to see who their announcers and reporters are.

#3 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:51

Oh god no. ESPN are the worst.

#4 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,372 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:52

Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't wait to see who their announcers and reporters are.

Bestwick, Goodyear, Cheever?

#5 FLB

FLB

• 29,882 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:54

I wonder if that means anything for IndyCar? As far as I know, the 2018 contract is not finalized. Will the Indy 500 be on NBC next year?

#6 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:54

Hmm. I’m conflicted.

Hopefully they drop Leigh diffey. But I’m afraid we won’t get a lot of races or practice sessions live. That said the watch ESPN app is great and hopefully stuff will get put on there.

#7 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:55

I did not want to go there. To put it mildly, I hope not. Bestwick is good, but I can't stand listening to the other two.

#8 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:58

Oh god no. ESPN are the worst.

They were pretty dire when I had to watch them in the 80s.

#9 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:59

So much for the new owner raising F1's profile in the USA.

#10 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:00

hopefully they hire away Varsha Hobbs and Matchett, or find new blood..

agree Cheever (who I like) and Goodyear are not the best answer..

#11 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:01

They were pretty dire when I had to watch them in the 80s.

I dunno.. they had Varsha and (what's his name?) Bissignano? who were decent IMO..

#12 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,650 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:02

ESPN has been in a nosedive the last 2 years imo.

I do watch a few shows on it, but it's nothing like it used to be.

Hoping Hobbs and Matchet make the move with Bob Varsha.

And you can keep the shouty Aussie. Diffey is extremely annoying 

#13 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:04

“Beginning with the Australian Grand Prix, every race will air live on the either ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC. The package will include every practice and qualifying session and involve more than 125 hours of F1 programming across the first season.

Full 2018 broadcast schedule:

March 25 - 12:55 a.m. - Australian Grand Prix -ESPN2
April 8 - 1:55 a.m. - Chinese Grand Prix - ESPN2
April 15 - 10:55 a.m. - Bahrain Grand Prix - ESPN2
April 29 - 8:55 a.m. - Azerbaijan Grand Prix - ESPN2
May 13 - 7:55 a.m. - Spanish Grand Prix - ESPN2
May 27 - 7:55 a.m. - Monaco Grand Prix - ESPN
-3:30 p.m. - Monaco Grand Prix ABC (re-aired)
June 10 - 1:55 p.m. - Canadian Grand Prix ESPN
June 24 - 7:55 a.m. - French Grand Prix - ESPN2
July 1 - 7:55 a.m. - Austrian Grand Prix - ESPN2
July 8 - 7:55 a.m. - British Grand Prix ESPN
July 22 - 7:55 a.m. - German Grand Prix - ESPN2
July 29 - 7:55 a.m. - Hungarian Grand Prix - ESPN2
Aug. 26 - 7:55 a.m. - Belgian Grand Prix - ESPN2
Sept. 2 - 7:55 a.m. - Italian Grand Prix ESPN2
Sept. 16 7:55 a.m. Singapore Grand Prix - ESPN2
Sept. 30 - 7:55 a.m. - Russian Grand Prix - ESPN2
Oct. 7 - 12:55 a.m. Japanese Grand Prix ESPN2
Oct. 21 - 2:55 p.m. - United States Grand Prix - ABC
Oct. 28 - 2:55 p.m. - Mexican Grand Prix - ABC
Nov. 11 - 10:55 a.m. - Brazilian Grand Prix - ESPN2
Nov. 25 - 7:55 a.m. - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - ESPN2“

This will get it infront of more Americans. No farming off F1 to some news channel for when there are some men in France on bicycles.

I do want to know if any practice or qualifying will be on tv.

#14 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:05

All i hope for is that they have less adverts... oh my god the adverts 

#15 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:09

All i hope for is that they have less adverts... oh my god the adverts 

A cable channel?  They'll have more if anything!

#16 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:12

"In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners."

Veiled hint that F1 will finally offer a streaming service?

#17 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,808 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:13

A cable channel?  They'll have more if anything!

Why is that? In Portugal, F1 is on cable and there are no commercials. After all, we already pay to watch it!

#18 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:20

"In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners."

Veiled hint that F1 will finally offer a streaming service?

Not really veiled. The article on motorsport.com pretty much spells it out that it is coming.

#19 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:25

All sessions broadcast live? Bring back Bob Varsha with Matchett and Hobbs and I’m in.

Oh, wait... THEY’RE RUNNING THE DAMN HALO NEXT YEAR.

Advertisement

#20 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,372 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:27

I did not want to go there. To put it mildly, I hope not. Bestwick is good, but I can't stand listening to the other two.

I'm on the same page as you are, i hope they hire some fresh blood but i have my doubts.

#21 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:34

Why is that? In Portugal, F1 is on cable and there are no commercials. After all, we already pay to watch it!

US cable is a different animal.  The programs made by it that I see on Netflix are rather short of the hour they likely get programmed for.  I was being facetious and most likely US network TV has the same amount of ads as US cable, but either way it's a great deal.  No commercial US channel would EVER show something like a race without ad breaks as you enjoy, and I do too for the races Channel 4 gets to show live (for now, soon Sky will have exclusivity - not heard any news they're going to let Channel 4 keep showing highlights so my viewing days seem numbered).

#22 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,720 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:41

Well folks, it’s been a blast. Who knows what the future holds. All I can say is that the last five years have been an honour and a joy.

#23 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:48

Is Paul Page still alive? 

#24 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:13

Paul Page???? Really that guy sucked worse than almost anyone I have seen do motorsports.  Sorry I know people hold different opinions but that would be one way to make sure I don't watch F1.

Who would be cool in the booth?  Would P Tracy do it?  Will it be guys from NASCAR?  Don't like the guys on ABC for IndyCar.  They don't seem like they research much.  So do they bring in all new blood?  Is there guys doing F2 or F3, WEC, FE, BTC, that would be enjoyable?

My wish would be that they actually fly them to the race and broadcast from there.  Only current guy I would really like to see is Matchett.  The other three could change and I wouldn't care much. 

#25 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:26

US cable is a different animal. The programs made by it that I see on Netflix are rather short of the hour they likely get programmed for. I was being facetious and most likely US network TV has the same amount of ads as US cable, but either way it's a great deal. No commercial US channel would EVER show something like a race without ad breaks as you enjoy, and I do too for the races Channel 4 gets to show live (for now, soon Sky will have exclusivity - not heard any news they're going to let Channel 4 keep showing highlights so my viewing days seem numbered).

Univision does.

#26 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:30

Hopefully they being back the full Speed tv crew.

#27 A3

A3

• 32,105 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:39

Well folks, it’s been a blast. Who knows what the future holds. All I can say is that the last five years have been an honour and a joy.

Oh feck, I will miss him. Best interviewer in F1 IMHO. 

#28 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:39

Univision does.

A pay channel or free to air, i.e. included as part of a standard cable deal?

I looked it up, and frankly if it is pay or not please try again (tell me a mainstream free to air commercial channel in the USA that choses to forgo ads during sporting events) as this is a niche Spanish language channel! https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Univision

Edited by amedeofelix, 04 October 2017 - 15:42.

#29 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:45

A pay channel or free to air, i.e. included as part of a standard cable deal?

I looked it up, and frankly if it is pay or not please try again (tell me a mainstream free to air commercial channel in the USA that choses to forgo ads during sporting events) as this is a niche Spanish language channel! https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Univision

I’m sorry. You said that no American cable channel would do it. I present one who does and you move the yardstick to suit your argument.

I can’t do much for you under those circumstances.

#30 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:46

Univision does.

I have watched Univision for most qualifying sessions,with the sound down. It's great.

And +1000 to sblick's wish for broadcasters to be at the races. I can't help but think they miss out by not being in the midst of the action.

#31 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:49

I have watched Univision for most qualifying sessions,with the sound down. It's great.

And +1000 to sblick's wish for broadcasters to be at the races. I can't help but think they miss out by not being in the midst of the action.

I am the opposite. I watch NBC for qualifying, and Univision for the races. The Spanish does not even bother me, I love the way they say soft or supersoft tires. 

#32 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:50

I’m sorry. You said that no American cable channel would do it. I present one who does and you move the yardstick to suit your argument.

I can’t do much for you under those circumstances.

There are channels that have almost nobody watching them.  Not saying this is one, but blimey it is rather niche.  I think my point was clear enough: a normal commercial channel, one that relies on ads for its income, choosing NOT to show ads while broadcasting a live race.  Something like ESPN, i.e, a direct competitor to it.  I didn't think to give a set of parameters cause I expected it to be clear: like for like.

I am still curious though if this Univision is 'free' or not.  Strange if it is.  Not out of the question, but strange.  They show F1 in the same market as NBC (ESPN to come)???  I can't see that being allowed here in the UK for one.

Edited by amedeofelix, 04 October 2017 - 15:52.

#33 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:55

Jon Noble‏ @NobleF1  9m9 minutes ago
Shake up of #F1 broadcasting in USA as ESPN takes over from NBC.

Ha! I called this the day Bratches got hired...

#34 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:58

Oh feck, I will miss him. Best interviewer in F1 IMHO. 

Yeah he's a good lad! No doubt he'll easy get snapped up quickly by FOM or one of the other major broadcasters he's a top presenter/journalist.

#35 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 15:59

Poor Will. There's a paddock animal if I ever saw one. Don't know what he'll do if that access is taken away.

#36 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:00

There are channels that have almost nobody watching them. Not saying this is one, but blimey it is rather niche. I think my point was clear enough: a normal commercial channel, one that relies on ads for its income, choosing NOT to show ads while broadcasting a live race. Something like ESPN, i.e, a direct competitor to it. I didn't think to give a set of parameters cause I expected it to be clear: like for like.

I am still curious though if this Univision is 'free' or not. Strange if it is. Not out of the question, but strange. They show F1 in the same market as NBC (ESPN to come)??? I can't see that being allowed here in the UK for one.

Univion is basic cable in many regions. I know in Houston it is and I suppose many other parts with a large Latino population. For me in Tennessee, I think it is included in the package that gets you espn and other sports channels.

Is it likely that advertisements will decrease? No. I work in advertising and I know how tough it is to attract advertisers at times, so the last thing you would want to do is give up prime real estate. Can it be done or at least decreased? Well if Univision and soccer coverage are anything to go by, I would suppose there is a way, but would the sponsors be willing to pay more to get less air time?

#37 sadler21

sadler21

• 21 posts

There are channels that have almost nobody watching them.  Not saying this is one, but blimey it is rather niche.  I think my point was clear enough: a normal commercial channel, one that relies on ads for its income, choosing NOT to show ads while broadcasting a live race.  Something like ESPN, i.e, a direct competitor to it.  I didn't think to give a set of parameters cause I expected it to be clear: like for like.

I am still curious though if this Univision is 'free' or not.  Strange if it is.  Not out of the question, but strange.  They show F1 in the same market as NBC (ESPN to come)???  I can't see that being allowed here in the UK for one.

Univision is free OTA broadcasted in HD. Best option for the F1 fan who doesn't want to spend through the nose to watch. :clap:

Would help to know Spanish, but as others have said, turn the volume down and you can figure out whats going on.

#38 Alonsofan007

Alonsofan007

• 2,219 posts

i'd like espn to use skyf1 feed, why even bother to do it on own if it can't match what sky does and biases aside sky has best coverage by far. 

Only content worth watching on nbc is will buxton's interviews, hopefully he finds a job in paddock, he is definetely one of the best i wouldn't mind  if he replaces ted kravitz :up: .

Edited by Alonsofan007, 04 October 2017 - 16:11.

#39 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:04

Only 2 of those races are on network ABC? The ratings won't be much better, I guess ESPN paid more though.

Advertisement

#40 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:06

Poor Will. There's a paddock animal if I ever saw one. Don't know what he'll do if that access is taken away.

I don't think it's been confirmed he won't be with ESPN. To me it sounds like even he does not know yet. 

#41 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:08

Only 2 of those races are on network ABC? The ratings won't be much better, I guess ESPN paid more though.

A lot more people get ESPN & ESPN 2. On paper, this is an upgrade in terms of eyes they can get.

#42 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:10

All sessions broadcast live? Bring back Bob Varsha with Matchett and Hobbs and I’m in.

Oh, wait... THEY’RE RUNNING THE DAMN HALO NEXT YEAR.

I saw somewhere that they'll broadcast all sessions live and then delayed as well.

Also, there's this bit from Jalopnik...

Also, interestingly, Sports Business Daily reported on the deal and said ESPN is not believed to be paying a rights fee for the programming and will instead “rely on a world feed to carry the races.” The report didn’t confirm the fee statement, saying neither side would comment on the financials of the deal.

Here’s part of the story:

The circuit’s OTT rights are not part of this deal, as F1 will retain control over those rights.

So does this mean we get Sky's coverage re-broadcast on ESPN? If so, this is what I've been hoping for for years...

Sorry Jason & the other NBC guys. No offense, we know you all did the best you could with what NBC gave you to work with!

#43 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:10

I watched a few races while on vacation and the adverts were excruciatingly long...

The longest I've ever witnessed. Maybe even longest than the broadcast in Canada?

Edited by coppilcus, 04 October 2017 - 16:23.

#44 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:12

I don't think it's been confirmed he won't be with ESPN. To me it sounds like even he does not know yet. 

No, not confirmed, and he'll probably get on wioth someone else. That's why I said "If". ;)

#45 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:14

I watched a few races while on vacation and the adverts were excruciating long...

The longest I've ever witnessed. Maybe even longest than the broadcast in Canada?

It's really, really brutal...and then when they come back, they go to some off-track shot for another minute while you miss more on-track action. You don't really account for how much you're missing until you start watching the race uninterrupted on some other provider. Also, they have a very bad habit of missing the first rounds of pit stops, or even race restarts with their ad breaks, even when it's obvious that they're about to happen. They just don't seem to care.

#46 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,650 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:16

Not sure why all of the love for Buxton. I loathe him and his tight pants and thumb ring.

James Allen was 1000 times better back in the day.

#47 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:22

I wonder if that means anything for IndyCar? As far as I know, the 2018 contract is not finalized. Will the Indy 500 be on NBC next year?

The current contracts run through 2018.

#48 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:22

Not sure why all of the love for Buxton. I loathe him and his tight pants and thumb ring.

James Allen was 1000 times better back in the day.

Indeed. Nice Speedy though!

It's more about the polemic events of the time and less of the driving and cars...

#49 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:27

i'd like espn to use skyf1 feed, why even bother to do it on own if it can't match what sky does and biases aside sky has best coverage by far. 

Only content worth watching on nbc is will buxton's interviews, hopefully he finds a job in paddock, he is definetely one of the best i wouldn't mind  if he replaces ted kravitz :up: .

No, no. I've seen Will's version of the Notebook many times and while very good, Ted's is superior ... and I can't get enough of Ted's goofy sense of humor. I never miss the Notebooks for any race!  Ted =  :up:  :up:  :up:  imho.

ETA: I do agree the only good content NBC brings is Will's interviews.

Edited by AustinF1, 04 October 2017 - 16:34.

#50 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 16:27

It's really, really brutal...and then when they come back, they go to some off-track shot for another minute while you miss more on-track action. You don't really account for how much you're missing until you start watching the race uninterrupted on some other provider. Also, they have a very bad habit of missing the first rounds of pit stops, or even race restarts with their ad breaks, even when it's obvious that they're about to happen. They just don't seem to care.

And to that add the augmented volume of the adverts so you never miss one, even if you go to the bar or restrooms...

Edited by coppilcus, 04 October 2017 - 16:30.