Photo

Veteran Car Run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 17:26

I don't know if anyone is planning to go and watch the Veteran Car Run this year. If so, note that this year they have changed the route to avoid Thornton Heath and Croydon because of road works and going via Sutton(-ish). In more detail, their website says:

The usual route from Hyde Park to via Westminster Bridge and Kennington then:
Kennington A 23
Stockwell A3

Clapham Common A24
Colliers Wood A24
Rose Hill A297-A217
Banstead A217
Burgh Heath A217
Reigate A217-A25
then back to normal A23 through Earlswood, Salford and Horley and A2219 to Crawley (half way) and on to Brighton

Advertisement

#2 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:17

A Western Australian friend, Lindsay Taylor, has spent the last couple of years completely rebuilding a single cylinder 1899 Renault A Type for well known Perth collector,

Peter Briggs. They and three other WA entrants, will be competing. I'm sure Lindsay would like me to mention the help he received from expert machinist & fabricator,
John Bowles.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:46

Ahem. One does not 'compete' in the London-Brighton run, Rod. One 'participates'.  ;)

Nevertheless, it's good to see you colonials participating.  ;) :p

#4 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:05

Ahem. One does not 'compete' in the London-Brighton run, Rod. One 'participates'.  ;)

Nevertheless, it's good to see you colonials participating.  ;) :p

I was waiting for that!   But as both Peter and Lindsay are ex-racing drivers I wouldn't be so sure...

#5 roamic

roamic

• 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:08

I'd love to accompany the cars on my bike...bicycle. Is that allowed?

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:04

The following part of the participants' instructions may interest some spectators:

With the alteration of the route out of London this year, we are aware that some of you have expressed a concern regarding the removal of the unofficial stop at Christ Church in Purley. As a result of your feedback, the National Trust have kindly agreed to make available use of their facilities at the Morden Hall Park (postcode SM4 5JD – this is on the route) earlier than usual, at 8.00am, for participants on the day of the Run. We hope this will make your journey to Crawley a little more comfortable.

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 19:08

I'd love to accompany the cars on my bike...bicycle. Is that allowed?

It is run on open public roads so you are at perfect liberty to follow the run on either a motorbike or pedal bike.  I was amused to see some keen club (pedal) bike riders actually overtaking some of the veteran last year! 

But it would be wise to treat them with respect and to remember that they don't really have much in the way of brakes.  And their steering is often a bit vague too.