Photo
- - - - -

FIA Awards Gala Categories? Predictions?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,707 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 18:24

With the 'FIA Prize-Giving Ceremony' coming up, I was trying to remember all the F1-related categories, and all I could come up with off the top of my head (aside from those for WDC & WCC results that have already been established) are these:

Action of the Year 
Rookie of the Year
Promoter's Trophy
Personality of the Year

What are the other categories and what are your predictions? 

Here are my predictions for the categories I have so far. I'll try to update this OP if you guys can remember the categories.

Action of the Year: Hamilton v Alonso in Mexico City
Rookie of the Year: Lance Stroll, as much as it pains me. Please, someone give me a way out of this one!
Promoter's Trophy: Mexico City goes for an unprecedented 3 year streak

Personality of the Year: Fernando Alonso

Edited by AustinF1, 06 December 2017 - 18:35.

Advertisement

#2 P123

P123

• 23,977 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 18:26

Doesn't Max normally win all of these? :)

#3 JG

JG

• 569 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 18:28

Action?
Rookie, Ocon was a rookie, yes? Surly the best
Promoter’s: COTA, that driver intro was f-u-n!
Personality: Kimi

#4 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,707 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 18:30

Action?

I was gonna say Ocon too, but then didn't he drive some races last year? How many do you need to graduate from rookie status?

#5 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 18:45

Doesn't Max normally win all of these? :)

He usually wins Action of the Year and Personality.

I'm not sure if the post-race incidents at USA grand prix have a positive effect at the FIA though. Then again, he does have a personality.

#6 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,707 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 18:48

That pass Max pulled at COTA woulda been the pass of the year for me had it been legal, without a doubt. First time I know of that anyone has pulled off a pass around there on the inside, at least in F1. Inside or outrside though, it's awesome to watch, as with RIC on Lewis on the outside in 2015 in the wet.

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,956 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 19:11

I was gonna say Ocon too, but then didn't he drive some races last year? How many do you need to graduate from rookie status?

Any.  If you raced last year, then you aren't a rookie this year. So Stroll strolls it by a country mile.

#8 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:23

Action of the year was undoubtedly the first corner carnage at Singapore, the most talked about incident of the year apart the brain fade at Baku.

Personality of the year I'm struggling with, because so many of these drivers literally have no personality, whatsoever. I'm not going to name any names, but if you didn't recognise the guys and met them at a party, within five minutes you would be making excuses to find a different room to be in. And some of them have obviously toxic personalities that their talent has allowed to fester and grow. Seb and Dan seem nice enough guys. 

Promoters, well I hope that Mexico doesn't win that, the rotating DJ was excruciating, really cringeworthy, forced FUN !!. 

Rookie, well if Stroll wins that it just shows what sort of place the damn sport is actually in. Apart from one or two races, he was pisspoor all year. I don't dislike him, and I think he gets a chance to improve next year, but still. Ugh.

#9 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,707 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:37

Action of the year was undoubtedly the first corner carnage at Singapore, the most talked about incident of the year apart the brain fade at Baku.

Personality of the year I'm struggling with, because so many of these drivers literally have no personality, whatsoever. I'm not going to name any names, but if you didn't recognise the guys and met them at a party, within five minutes you would be making excuses to find a different room to be in. And some of them have obviously toxic personalities that their talent has allowed to fester and grow. Seb and Dan seem nice enough guys. 

Promoters, well I hope that Mexico doesn't win that, the rotating DJ was excruciating, really cringeworthy, forced FUN !!. 

Rookie, well if Stroll wins that it just shows what sort of place the damn sport is actually in. Apart from one or two races, he was pisspoor all year. I don't dislike him, and I think he gets a chance to improve next year, but still. Ugh.

From what I've read and heard, the rotating DJ in Mexico was a LM thing...

The reason I think they'll win it is because of results. They keep getting it done where it counts - at the ticket office.

#10 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:20

Less than three race the year before. So Vandoorne counts but Ocon doesn't.

#11 A3

A3

• 32,106 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:22

This year personality of the year has to be Ricciardo.

#12 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,015 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:52

Overtake of the year: Magnussen on Massa in Japan (as spoken by a completely biased Dane).

#13 McLaren

McLaren

• 1,123 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:23

Pretty sure you are all wrong in regards to the FIA Action of the year. Think the nominees were out a long time ago. and from what I remember Seb vs Dan in China was the only F1 'Action' in that category. Do correct me if I am wrong though.

#14 McLaren

McLaren

• 1,123 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:25

Action?

Think Mexico was up there in terms of the whole 'event'. A carnival like atmosphere..

#15 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 14:45

Action: Vettel ramming Hamilton in Baku but I guess it doesn't qualify.

ROTY: Vandoorne because I can't hand that to Stroll.

Promoters: Managing to keep the season finale with such a dull layout is top performance. Plus fireworks.

Personality: Bottas, what a character. Took the whipping like a champ.

Can we hand "Quote of the year" to Magnussen for his post-Hungary performance?

Edited by Jerem, 07 December 2017 - 14:46.

#16 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,624 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 16:31

Max hasn't been nominated this year  :down:

I believe Action of the year = Overtake of the year. Ricciardo has been nominated 3 times.

Here is the full list:

Vettel on Ricciardo in China

Ricciardo double pass on Massa, Stroll in Azerbaijan

Ocon and Hulkenberg squeeze Perez in Belgium

Hamilton on Alonso in Mexico

Ricciardo and Raikkonen pass Bottas in Belgium

Sainz on Perez in USA

Magnussen double pass on Massa in Singapore

Vettel on Bottas in Spain

Alonso on Sainz in Hungary

Ricciardo on Raikkonen in Italy

https://www.crash.ne...ing-nominations

#17 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 16:33

.... from what I remember Seb vs Dan in China was the only F1 'Action' in that category. Do correct me if I am wrong though.

A fine choice! :up:

#18 McLaren

McLaren

• 1,123 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 16:45

Max hasn't been nominated this year  :down:

I believe Action of the year = Overtake of the year. Ricciardo has been nominated 3 times.

Here is the full list:

Vettel on Ricciardo in China

Ricciardo double pass on Massa, Stroll in Azerbaijan

Ocon and Hulkenberg squeeze Perez in Belgium

Hamilton on Alonso in Mexico

Ricciardo and Raikkonen pass Bottas in Belgium

Sainz on Perez in USA

Magnussen double pass on Massa in Singapore

Vettel on Bottas in Spain

Alonso on Sainz in Hungary

Ricciardo on Raikkonen in Italy

https://www.crash.ne...ing-nominations

Think there is some confusion. The above is a link to the Formula 1 website. But this topic is about the FIA awards.. not any specific F1 awards. 

The only thing I found in my quick search is the following:

https://www.sportvid...ar-2017-videos/

So no F1 related action was nominated according to that website. Was sure I had seen Seb vs Dan in China as a FIA nomination.. maybe I was wrong.

#19 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,624 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 17:16

Think there is some confusion. The above is a link to the Formula 1 website. But this topic is about the FIA awards.. not any specific F1 awards. 

The only thing I found in my quick search is the following:

https://www.sportvid...ar-2017-videos/

So no F1 related action was nominated according to that website. Was sure I had seen Seb vs Dan in China as a FIA nomination.. maybe I was wrong.

Ah ok that is confusing indeed  :well:  The link with the 10 F1 nominations also mentions this:

Max Verstappen fails to make the list having won the 2016 FIA Action of the Year award for his pass around the outside in the wet during the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Advertisement

#20 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 19:04

I would think Kris Meeke's final Power stage off/ adventure around a car park and winning Rally Mexico would have to win some award......

#21 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 19:15

I predict Ocon and Perez get into a knock - down, drag out fight...

(film at 11)

#22 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 14:33

He usually wins Action of the Year and Personality.

I'm not sure if the post-race incidents at USA grand prix have a positive effect at the FIA though. Then again, he does have a personality.

Well I was wrong, he's won it again!  :D

FIA Personality of the Year: Max Verstappen

FIA Rookie of the Year: Charles Leclerc

FIA Action of the Year: Esapekka Lappi

President’s Award: Billy Monger

Best Promoters: Mexican GP organisation

Hamilton, Vettel and Bottas picked up their trophies for finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Mercedes took the WCC tropy. Plus of course several other categories such as Ogier winning WRC etc.

#23 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,707 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 16:31

Welp, 1 out of 4 isn't bad, I guess. But then Mexico City was a pretty easy pick for the Promoter's Trophy.

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 16:50

So the driver whose conspiratorial mind singles out a single FIA steward, calls him a ****** twice, and vows to "never forgive" a completely justified penalty is... the FIA's Personality of the Year?

But Ferrari's driver has to come grovel at their feet for telling the FIA race director to **** off? That's nice. :rolleyes:

#25 P123

P123

• 23,977 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 16:53

I would think Kris Meeke's final Power stage off/ adventure around a car park and winning Rally Mexico would have to win some award......

The Herman Tilke Appreciation Award.

#26 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 18:22

They have jumping competitions in WRC now?

#27 BRG

BRG

• 25,956 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 19:09

No.  Although there are a few places where distance markers are set out to see which cars jump the furthest but it is only a bit of fun.  Lappi's award was for the video action of the year which happened to be his yump.   In fact, longer jumps are often not the fastest way along the course, a bit like in downhill skiing.  You can't get on the power if your wheels ain't touching Mother Earth.

In other news, apparently Sebastian Ogier was complaining about the order in which the WRC awards were presented....

#28 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,707 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 19:13

Mexico City pulling off something no other city has done - winning the Promoter's Trophy 3 times in a row - is pretty cool.