Photo

'Dick' Barton of Lister fame...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:42

Sadly, just received from the modern-day Lister cars concern... Period 1950s team works mechanic Edwin 'Dick' Barton has joined that magnificent racing brotherhood in the sky...

Dick was a wonderful help to me when I was researching and compiling my 'Powered by Jaguar' book.  Nog least he provided some wonderful colour photos taken wth Archie Scott Brown in New Zealand and - sadly - of the charred remains of his 'VPP 9' car, burned out at Spa in '58.  In the absence of surviving works records the joint recollections of Brian Lister and Dick saved the project's bacon - and preserved their story for future enthusiasts to enjoy...

"Dick Barton, one of the original Lister Engineers back in the 1950s, and more recently whilst the Lister Motor Company have been recreating the Knobblyies, has passed away. Part of a very tight-knit and successful racing team, Dick Barton became a very close friend and right hand man of Brian Lister over the years and together they went on to produce some of the finest British sports racing cars of the 1950s.

"To his wife Margaret, his family and friends, The Lister Motor Company offers its sincerest condolences."

​DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 17 January 2018 - 12:52.

Advertisement

#2 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,813 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 13:38

Sad news

#3 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 16:34

Sad news

Indeed, it's always especially sad when a former mechanic or engineer passes away, I think, though I couldn't explain why I feel that way.

#4 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 18:05

Indeed, it's always especially sad when a former mechanic or engineer passes away, I think, though I couldn't explain why I feel that way.

Drivers, chief designers and team managers -- they all get written up in a biography or company history in some way. Other men and women are incidental figures, sometimes significant ones, in the bigger story. Another one has sadly passed.