Photo
- - - - -

Should Mercedes sign Ricciardo in 2019?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: Ricciardo's future (251 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mercedes try and sign Ricciardo for 2019?

1. Yes (172 votes [68.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.53%

2. No (51 votes [20.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.32%

3. Don't know (17 votes [6.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

4. It depends on stuff I will explain in the comments (11 votes [4.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

If Mercedes want him should he join them?

1. Of course! (196 votes [78.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.09%

2. No way (18 votes [7.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.17%

3. Only under certain circumstances/conditions that I will explain (12 votes [4.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.78%

4. Don't know/other (25 votes [9.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 18:49

Article is for subs only but I don't see why we can't discuss the quiz question here anyway:

Should Mercedes sign Ricciardo in 2019?

When Ricciardo signed his last Red Bull contract, it was with an eye on a long-term future with the team and the idea that he could build the team around him. But then Verstappen rocketed into the picture.

Ricciardo has complete confidence that he can beat Verstappen and has no fears that Red Bull will start favouring his team-mate, but there will be something in the back of his mind whispering that this might not always be the case.

At 28, he also knows the next contract will cover his peak years in F1, so breaking free of the family that gave him his shot in F1, in the way Hamilton did by leaving McLaren for Mercedes, would be difficult but it could also be shrewd.

His personality, work ethic and speed means he would settle in quickly to any team that he joins - very few drivers can say that. Mercedes would be no different and you would expect him to get up to speed quickly.

He was unfortunate that he joined Red Bull at a time when it suffered a dip in form, having won the previous four world championships. By joining Mercedes when the regulations remain relatively stable, he's less likely to go through that again.

Or should he go or try and look to another team, say Ferrari? Would he be given equal chance to be competitive at some of these teams? Or should he stick things out at Red Bull? Would Mercedes want to disturb their cosy set up? Can they afford not to? What do you think O collective brain? 

Advertisement

#2 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,612 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 18:50

Yes!

#3 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 18:52

Yes and yes please, and the same goes for Ferrari.

#4 JamesC64

JamesC64

• 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 18:55

Don't know and yes! Is he really any better than Bottas if at all? I know he had that great showing against Seb but was that a one off? All i know is that Verstappen out performed him quite handily in his first full season with the team and i can only see the gap getting bigger if I'm being honest.

#5 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 1,522 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 18:55

If HAM is still there he will be second driver like Bottas is now. If lewis is gone......sign!

#6 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 593 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 18:58

No.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:00

I think Ricciardo and Merc should both go for it. If it leads to a bit of inter-team aggro well, that's what the team get paid to manage and a stronger driver line up could make the key difference. Also, frankly, as nice a chap as Bottas seems and I'm sure on his day a great driver, I'd be more interested in seeing Ricciardo and Hamilton face this fresh challenge. I'd rather even more see Lewis vs Alonso or Verstappen but I guess that's not going to happen so this would be the next best thing. Besides,  those words of Lewis where he said

"You look at Daniel, he's got a great driver in his team-mate, and to be honest, he has got to really work to outperform him first. You've always got to beat the person you're with before you can look at competing against someone else and beating them - that's just my personal opinion."

..well, that's just fighting talk, is what it is!  (in a fun rather than unpleasant way). Bring it!

#8 Casey

Casey

• 2,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:03

Dunno, if I was Merc I would wait out what happens at Red Bull, if they fail to deliver a winning car for Verstappen the kid himself could be available .

#9 Anja

Anja

• 10,385 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:03

I don't think Max will be the biggest factor in Dan's decision, after all taking on Lewis won't exactly be much easier. However, Red Bull's future is a big unknown with their endless engine saga so jumping ships could be a safer bet. I don't see a place for him at Ferrari unless Vettel leaves, which seems unlikely. But it looks to me like Hamilton could quit F1 at any point in the near future, so Merc might be tempted to have another top level driver even if they want to avoid a repeat of HAM v ROS clashes. 

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:08

Dunno, if I was Merc I would wait out what happens at Red Bull, if they fail to deliver a winning car for Verstappen the kid himself could be available .

I wondered about that but I expect Verstappen is pretty much nailed down. Could he afford to buy himself out?

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:08

I think it'd be a perfect match, the only issue is whether Hamilton and Bottas deliver another WDC+WCC season again. If they do, then there really is no reason for Mercedes to upset the status quo.

Unless Hamilton suddenly retires.

I don't really see Lewis racing for so much longer. Just a hunch, but I think he'll realize enough is enough and he doesn't need to spend any more time under the miscroscope and not even breathe without being second guessed.

#12 JamesC64

JamesC64

• 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:10

Hamilton ain't going anywhere while he's sat in a car that can challenge for the title. I reckon Lewis would beat him which would hurt even more than losing out to Verstappen.

#13 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:17

If McLaren start to get podiums then I would go there and hope that they can be championship contenders in 2019. Of course, this is if Red Bull aren't battling for a championship themselves this year which could be possible and therefore, even with preference for Max, Daniel should stay at Red Bull and try and beat him on the track. 

#14 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,979 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:26

Yes. I think Ricciardo needs to leave Red Bull as soon as he can. The comments that they've made recently make it fairly obvious that Red Bull is content to favour Verstappen over Ricciardo, and towards the back end of last season it started to feel like Ricciardo was the forgotten man at that team.

Favouritism at Red Bull? I know, how shocking... :lol:

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:27

From Mercedes' perspective: If Hamilton is still there in 2019 Ricciardo could be either too competitive or a pretty perfect 2nd driver, i.e. a bit more competitive than Bottas, which might be overall even better for the team, perhaps a Rosberg-like situation, but with a presumably different dynamic. If Hamilton retires they have to hire him, sure.

As to whether he should go for it if Mercedes wants him: I'm pretty sure that it is more likely that Red Bull will center their future around Verstappen than that Mercedes will center it around Hamilton. Considering that Mercedes is (right now) also the better package it would be right now a no-brainer from his POV. Can change of course, though.

Edited by Marklar, 24 January 2018 - 19:32.

#16 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,313 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 19:54

I am not sure why Mercedes would want another Hamilton/Rosberg scenario, it is fine when you are well clear of the pack but when Ferrari are breathing down your neck and Red Bull are getting quicker having a clear team leader like RB and Ferrari do makes sense. I think Ricciardo will fall further behind Max Verstappen this year as he doesn’t have his pace or consistency but gets away with it due to his friendliness to the media and his general tom foolery, he would be better off knuckling down and giving Max the occasional bloody nose like Webber did to Vettel.

#17 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:05

As long as Bottas brings the points home for the WCC I see no reason for Mercedes to sign Ricciardo. I think they’ll aim at an extension with Lewis till 2021 and wait and see what happens at RBR/Renault/Honda, knowing that in 2021Verstappen is a free agent.

#18 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:06

Ricciardo shouldn't go anywhere tbh. He's in a place where he has a team mate who's reckoned to be as good as Hamilton. Beating him would send a messsage like no other and Red Bull could very well be a title winning car in a year or two.

#19 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:11

RIC wants to be a Red Bull driver

Red Bull wants RIC

they'll figure it out...

Advertisement

#20 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:13

Yes. I think Ricciardo needs to leave Red Bull as soon as he can. The comments that they've made recently make it fairly obvious that Red Bull is content to favour Verstappen over Ricciardo, and towards the back end of last season it started to feel like Ricciardo was the forgotten man at that team.

Favouritism at Red Bull? I know, how shocking... :lol:

uhh.. link to those comments please...

the only comments I see are that they want him and he has equal opportunity, so show me different...

#21 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 1,381 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:24

Yes and yes please, and the same goes for Ferrari.

Excellent idea! They should cut him in half.  :D  :p

No, but I agree, let Daniel have a go at England's BELOVED #44 ( :rolleyes: )! Bottas is dull anyway and isn't a brilliant driver either.

Edited by Ramon69, 24 January 2018 - 20:24.

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,781 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:26

100% yes

#23 JamesC64

JamesC64

• 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:28

Who really believes Ricciardo is as good as Hamilton, i once did but now I'm not so sure. I'd love to see Hamilton in a Red Bull, i reckon his braking ability would have to be seen to believe in their car.

Edited by JamesC64, 24 January 2018 - 20:28.

#24 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:32

Better to be LH's #2 than MV's ....fairer fight (eg Merc never took the wing off the #2's car to give to the #1) ... and better for his self respect - and future legacy. 

Edited by jjcale, 24 January 2018 - 20:32.

#25 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,910 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:37

He should go to the most competitive car, that looks to be Merc right now. Hamilton/Ricciardo would be by far the strongest lineup on the grid too so its win win for Merc. 

#26 JamesC64

JamesC64

• 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:38

It's a weird one as I've never got the impression of loyalty between Hamilton and Mercedes. Even when winning the title there was always rumours of other drivers and such. Last year though Hamilton seemed to find his place within the team. I'm guessing the atmosphere was very frosty within the team when Rosberg was there.....

#27 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:45

He should go to the most competitive car, that looks to be Merc right now. Hamilton/Ricciardo would be by far the strongest lineup on the grid too so its win win for Merc.

Merc don’t need the strongest line up.

#28 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,235 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:51

I would love to see him in a Merc or Ferrari and I thimk he would look great in silver. Also very curious to see his helmet without Red Bull on it.

#29 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:52

To the original question, yes!

#30 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,910 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:54

Merc don’t need the strongest line up.

Its still a marketing company at its heart, Ricciardo is the most likeable driver on the grid and it gives them continuity should Hamilton decide to retire.

#31 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:54

Hamilton ain't going anywhere while he's sat in a car that can challenge for the title. I reckon Lewis would beat him which would hurt even more than losing out to Verstappen.

Why?

#32 JamesC64

JamesC64

• 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 20:57

Why?

Because i think losing to your teammate for the title is a hell of a lot more painful than when it's for 3rd or 4th.

#33 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 21:30

Mercedes aren't going to have the fastest car forever.

#34 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 21:38

Should Renault. That's better question. 

#35 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 21:56

If it's looking like the best car and Red Bull are definitely going with Honda for 2019 then aye, bail as quick as you can. I don't think we'd have a Rosberg/Lewis scenario on the cards with Dan. He's been team mates to top drivers twice with no issues, been outperformed several times and taken out of a race by one of them with no big drama.

Good fit for both if Mercedes want to strengthen their line up.

#36 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,979 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 21:59

uhh.. link to those comments please...

the only comments I see are that they want him and he has equal opportunity, so show me different...

This for a start: https://www.motorspo...-future-965123/

Not sure what Ricciardo must have felt reading that.

#37 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,910 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 22:08

This for a start: https://www.motorspo...-future-965123/

I do think those were the statements Horner considered out of context,

but, the allure of the marketing value of youngest ever WDC is obviously appealing:

http://en.f1i.com/ne...e-f1-dream.html

#38 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,695 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 22:10

This

https://www.motorspo...ed-bull-968864/

Ricciardo: No concerns about Verstappen favouritism at Red Bull

Edited by Ivanhoe, 24 January 2018 - 22:11.

#39 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 22:16

Ricc won't have it easier at Mercedes than at RedBull. I feel like he should target the Ferrari seat instead

Advertisement

#40 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 22:38

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would think racing Lewis would be easier than racing Max, unless of course you figure Red Bull have already anointed Max as #1 and plan to give him every advantage from day 1. Max is good, but Lewis is still #1 in my book. 

#41 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 22:47

I think racing Lewis would be tougher yeah but if I'm forced to race against Lewis then I'd rather do it in the same car than a worse one so it depends on the car situation more than anything.

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 23:21

Yes to the first, because although Bottas outscored Hamilton 8/20 in his first year at the team, on the whole he was clearly a solid step behind. I expect Ricciardo would be closer.

But No way to the second question. Ricciardo at Ferrari. Make it so!  :up:

#43 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,910 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 00:51

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would think racing Lewis would be easier than racing Max, unless of course you figure Red Bull have already anointed Max as #1 and plan to give him every advantage from day 1. Max is good, but Lewis is still #1 in my book.

It’s not about who the easiest team mate is, it’s about who has the best chance of the title. I’d much rather tougher team mate + WDC car than fighting for 5th.

#44 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,247 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:00

Stuff for the first, Other for the second question.

They should only sign him if  Max is not an option for the future, and he should only join them (Mercedes) if RedBull go wrong.

I'd love to see Lewis V Max in the same cars.

#45 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,125 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:21

Dan was indeed unlucky to hit RedBull at the worst time during their dip.  He definitely deserves a shot at the title, and I don't really care in which team it is.  Mercedes would seem the best shot at the moment, but maybe he's one of those cursed drivers who moves, and suddenly the balance of power changes, and Merc lose their lead.  I sure hope not, and I wish to see him as WDC in whatever team makes it possible for him.

#46 Afaf

Afaf

• 355 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:04

Mercedes aren't going to have the fastest car forever.

They will until the regs change in 2021

#47 Slowersofterdumber

Slowersofterdumber

• 1,809 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:09

Ricciardo should move to Mercedes if he has half a chance but Mercedes should not sign Ricciardo, there are better options out there.

#48 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:23

They will until the regs change in 2021

Well that is enough for Lewis to equal MS in number of the  WDC...

#49 messy

messy

• 7,510 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:40

Yes and no. I think Bottas did quite nicely for his first season really. He and Hamilton rub along nicely, Bottas isn't that far away and will probably improve with time, he's the perfect team player, still young enough to be able to take on the baton when Hamilton starts to decline a bit or retires, he's underrated and just fine for Mercedes really. So if say Lewis chooses to retire at the end of 2018 - which I'd suspect is unlikely, Ricciardo would be a decent replacement, but I can't see him being massively, massively stronger than Valtteri. If Lewis is still there as expected, then as long as Bottas has another good season next year, why would you change it?

I really like Ricciardo, but let's not forget he's started to look distinctly second best to Verstappen last season. He's not the answer to all life's ills. 

#50 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:33

Would welcome him in either Mercedes or Ferrari. He is great enough talent that it would be good to see him getting at least a proper opportunity at the championship. Surely he can't wait for much longer, he is nearing 30? Next career decision has to be absolutely spot-on.

But first let's see, how 2018 goes. If Bottas has a good season and runs Hamilton close, Mercedes will have a hard time to justify getting rid of him.