Photo

Open wheel museums

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:40

I have to the one at Indianapolis and Knoxville, Iowa, and Lincoln, Nebraska.

What are some other museums with good open wheel displays in the U.S.?

Edited by Bob Riebe, 29 January 2018 - 22:07.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:35

The ORC entry on Hayhoe seems fairly comprehensive to me. What more were you after?

http://www.oldracing....com/hayhoe/68/

#3 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:39

The volume of available Indy car histories on ORC is still woefully limited, I'm afraid. If you go to the main Indy page http://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/ you'll find about two dozen links to detailed chapters about rear-engined cars of the 60s & 70s, like the one Tim has shown the link to. These are all to the well-known ORC standard, and mostly Allen's work. There's also (top right) a link http://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/a-z/ to my old Indy car A-Z page, which is a somewhat esoteric collection of writeups covering cars from the 20s to the 70s, and hasn't been updated in eons. Too many cars, too little time... :blush:

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 13:22

Too many cars, too little time... :blush:

Indeed.

#5 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 18:04

I went directly to Allen's site from a Google link and from there the Hayhoe was in the directory.

It would seem that linking from a photograph did not give me the entire directory as I tried for a long time last night trying to find th Hayhoe but could not.

Mystery solved.

Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Bob Riebe, 29 January 2018 - 22:06.

#6 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 22:14

Outside of Indy and Knoxville are there many racing auto museums north of the Mason Dixon line?

#7 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 23:29

Bob, I'll try to answer some of your questions.  The first thing to say is that my aim to to get information about old racing cars to the people who are looking for it, and the website is the medium I use for that.  So the structure of the website is a means to an end, not an end in itself.  Nowadays, most people find things by "googling it", so the job of my website is allow Google to index it in such a way that Google will then regard a particular URL on ORC to be the best result for a particular search.  (There are other search engines, but if it's right for Google, it will be right for Bing, Yahoo and the others.)

F1 is easy, because someone looking for info about a Tyrrell 009 will simply type "Tyrrell 009" into a search engine, but Indy is often harder because cars have many names.  The 1968 Hayhoe page has to be the result of any search about that team, those cars, those sponsors and those drivers in those years.   

So, for example:
Google search for "1968 sugaripe prune indy car"

Google search for "Jim Hayhoe indycar 1968"

Bing search for "Jim Hayhoe Bruce Walkup"

Google search for "Jerry O'Connell jud phillips 1971 indy car"

That's the problem I'm having to address.  I can tell you in mind-numbing detail how people arrive on each page of my website, and you might be surprised how little bearing that directory of models of Indy car has on their route.

Edited by Allen Brown, 29 January 2018 - 23:32.

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 23:50

Outside of Indy and Knoxville are there many racing auto museums north of the Mason Dixon line?

http://www.emmr.org/

Eastern Museum of Motor Racing in Central Pennsy. Never been there, but should be good!

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,019 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:32

Am I missing something here?  The initial link doesn't have anything about museums.  :confused:

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,609 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:04

Bob’s opening post originally contained a second question about accessing the Hayhoe page on ORC. He later edited his post to remove that question after he found the answer to it. Sorry for the confusion.

#11 DCapps

DCapps

• 885 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 16:24

http://www.emmr.org/

Eastern Museum of Motor Racing in Central Pennsy. Never been there, but should be good!

Bob, I have not been there in far too many years despite passing it on US 15 all the time, but it was far, far better than I ever imagined. The staff was both great and very knowledgeable about the topic, something not always the case. Plus, they helped me track down a book once that they had and got it for me. Those who have dropped by lately says it is even better thanks to the recent expansion. The IMRRC even organized a visit recently. It is definitely on my list for 2018.