- - - - -

Barcelona Testing: Man on the ground

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 STIGG

STIGG

• 297 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:36

Having moved to Barcelona at the end of last year and with the F1 circus in town this week, I figured it would be rude not to make a trip out to Circuit de Catalunya and see what’s happening. 

I’ve followed F1 since ’06 but have never been to a Grand Prix venue. So, on that note I’m wondering if anyone has any tips re: the best vantage points around the track? 

The only tickets available are general admission so I assume I'll be able to move around the track (I could be very wrong though). 

I’ll also be armed with a camera so I’m hoping to get some photos/video and report back here. *I’m not making any promises about quality as I literally just bought a camera on Amazon yesterday and haven’t even turned it on yet. Hoping 25x optical zoom will be enough. 

TL;DR: Going to Barcelona test tomorrow; Circuit tips? Things to observe / photograph?

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:41

You can access pretty much all the Grandstands apart from the ones that are *inside* the track.

In terms of photos, the GA path at the exit of the final turn, poking through the fence, offers good angles. Would've been a great spot for Alonso's off.

Aside from that, the stadium complex in sector 3 gives you plenty of time and opportunity for photos.

My favourite spot is later on around the circuit, there's a hill overlooking Turn 4. Great expansive views.

#3 Nikolay

Nikolay

• 90 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:56

Tomorrow is not going to be the best day for photos... 25x optical zoom is good, but be sure to choose high shutter speed ( >1/500), those cars move really fast. With the light being quite low these days probably the best place to have sharp close up pitures is the chicane, you don't need the extreme tele of the zoom, and the cars are slower there. Have fun...

#4 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:32

You can access pretty much all the Grandstands apart from the ones that are *inside* the track.

In terms of photos, the GA path at the exit of the final turn, poking through the fence, offers good angles. Would've been a great spot for Alonso's off.

Aside from that, the stadium complex in sector 3 gives you plenty of time and opportunity for photos.

My favourite spot is later on around the circuit, there's a hill overlooking Turn 4. Great expansive views.

I can only agree. The stadium is a good place to see the cars at various speeds (hard braking, slow and mid-speed corners, chicane). From the hill above T4, you can also see (on the other side) the short straight between turns 7-8 and 9, which is a good place. I don't know if you can access the grandstand between turns 1-2 and 5, but it's quite spectacular, especially the braking at the end of the straight and the downhill section at T5.

Edited by Jerem, 27 February 2018 - 19:33.

#5 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:49

Please see if you can get some audio too, to see if the Honda still sounds like a bag of chips!

#6 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,701 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:08

I moved your thread to the GP travel forum, but left a link so you can find it. I hope you have a great time!

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:05

Things to observe

The snow?

I'm really sorry that it looks like you're not gonna get the best weather for this, man. Kind of jealous, I've wanted to do this for ages. Also of living in Barcelona, amazing city, hope you're enjoying that.  :)

#8 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:57

Good luck STIGG, not sure how much running they will do but if they go out it is nice to get pictures on a wet track with all the spray being kicked up. Hopefully it will be slightly less cold than Tuesday as it was absolutely freezing but still a good day. General Admission is not the only ticket but it depends how much you want to spend as other passes can include race tickets, which can get you slightly more access or a day of hospitality in the boxes over the pits. Also there is a tour ticket for 50 euros which gets a tour of the paddock, pit building, visit to the podium etc and a drive around the inner circuit road (I would definitely recommend this for something a bit extra) & that also includes all the access you get via a general admission ticket as well. You need to book via the circuit website but no idea if there are any left at this stage.

Edit: DanMills, the Honda still sounds like a bag of nails whilst in the pits however out on track it is a massive improvement & sounds pretty good.

Edited by Exb, 28 February 2018 - 05:02.

#9 STIGG

STIGG

• 297 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:19

Thanks everyone for the tips! 

Thankfully I didn't head out extra early this morning, having decided to wait and see if there was anything happening first. It doesn't look like the cars are heading out anytime soon and even if they do, it probably won't be for long. Hopefully they agree to extend the test and get a full day of running in. 

I'm going to give it a miss today and go next week, when the weather should be better. Here's the forecast for Montmelo: 

s8gxCFR.png

#10 STIGG

STIGG

• 297 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:20

Please see if you can get some audio too, to see if the Honda still sounds like a bag of chips!

I will! Very keen to hear this too! 

#11 STIGG

STIGG

• 297 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:22

The snow?

I'm really sorry that it looks like you're not gonna get the best weather for this, man. Kind of jealous, I've wanted to do this for ages. Also of living in Barcelona, amazing city, hope you're enjoying that.  :)

I'll be onto you about the best bars to watch F1 in so! 

#12 STIGG

STIGG

• 297 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:23

Good luck STIGG, not sure how much running they will do but if they go out it is nice to get pictures on a wet track with all the spray being kicked up. Hopefully it will be slightly less cold than Tuesday as it was absolutely freezing but still a good day. General Admission is not the only ticket but it depends how much you want to spend as other passes can include race tickets, which can get you slightly more access or a day of hospitality in the boxes over the pits. Also there is a tour ticket for 50 euros which gets a tour of the paddock, pit building, visit to the podium etc and a drive around the inner circuit road (I would definitely recommend this for something a bit extra) & that also includes all the access you get via a general admission ticket as well. You need to book via the circuit website but no idea if there are any left at this stage.

Edit: DanMills, the Honda still sounds like a bag of nails whilst in the pits however out on track it is a massive improvement & sounds pretty good.

Cool! Looks like the 50euro tour tickets are all sold out but I did read that you get free admission if you have a race ticket. So, I'll probably buy my GP ticket over the weekend and hopefully make more than one visit to the track next week.

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:38

I'll be onto you about the best bars to watch F1 in so! 

Unfortunately I have no idea about that, I've only visited Barcelona once, just saying I'm sure it's a great city to live in!