* * * * - 5 votes

Future F1 Venues: Rumours & News

• Please log in to reply
4214 replies to this topic

#2501 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 09:42

Maybe, maybe not - I think ABC used to carry that a a singular race of the year, unless a failing memory is making that up. I do think though, that if the not interested in F1 were to chose to watch a F1 race it would be Monaco - If FIA and Liberty want to promote F1 in the US, they can do a lot worse than promoting the heck out of Monaco.

Austin
Miami
Las Vegas

To most will just be another race, if anything is said or mentioned on the channels they watch, most will think it was an Indycar race.

Trouble is, if that is the only race they watch, then they could be put off F1 forever. You can't hide the fact that it is a damn poor place to try and run an F1 race.

Advertisement

#2502 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,487 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 09:56

Trouble is, if that is the only race they watch, then they could be put off F1 forever. You can't hide the fact that it is a damn poor place to try and run an F1 race.

I am in the minority who enjoy Monaco every season and not just when the occasional weird result occur - I think the race does hold all the glitz and carnival atmosphere the casual viewer will enjoy, and the casual viewer will marvel at how fast these cars are going on a track you can fit inside Central Park - If we moved this track to Lancastershire, have no walls and gravel as God wanted it on the sides it is still a great track, it takes the best from the best drivers to truly excel there.

#2503 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,087 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 10:24

They said in 1929 a GP at Monaco was a silly idea and it wouldn't last. It's a phenomenally demanding circuit in a fantastic setting which you actually see during the race. (It's not hidden behind temporary walls). And it's very different from other great circuits at Spa, Monza or Suzuka.

Difficult to overtake? True, but (a) that's OK for the occasional race and (b) blame the cars not the circuit.

#2504 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,259 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 10:53

I think Monaco should stay because it is crazy and so very unique.

#2505 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 17:41

I am in the minority who enjoy Monaco every season and not just when the occasional weird result occur - I think the race does hold all the glitz and carnival atmosphere the casual viewer will enjoy, and the casual viewer will marvel at how fast these cars are going on a track you can fit inside Central Park - If we moved this track to Lancastershire, have no walls and gravel as God wanted it on the sides it is still a great track, it takes the best from the best drivers to truly excel there.

Yep. Warts and all, it's still a unique and daunting challenge, even if qualifying usually determines the race winner. Removing it just makes the calendar even less diverse than it already is.

Keep Monaco.

#2506 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 21:15

Monaco forever, in my view.

#2507 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 949 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 17:18

Likewise!

One has to wonder if anybody in Miami was even aware that is it exactly like the flag of one of the largest countries in the world?  

According to the t'internet (and this could be wrong) Miami's flag was adopted in 1933 and India's in 1947, which I did not expect either to be in that order nor that relatively close in time.

I guess its just one of those odd coincidences that happened way back when. I'd imagine that should a city now adopt a flag similar to another, they'd soon be informed of the similarity.

Of course mistakes can still happen in publications - I remember that the Monaco GP had the flag of Poland for quite a few seasons in a certain publication...

#2508 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 949 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 17:19

Monaco forever, in my view.

Agreed. The Monaco track is an anacronism which needs to remain. They ditch it, there's no way it'd get back on the calendar.

I'd rather have the real deal than some track being "Monaco-esque".

#2509 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,487 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 17:21

According to the t'internet (and this could be wrong) Miami's flag was adopted in 1933 and India's in 1947, which I did not expect either to be in that order nor that relatively close in time.

I guess its just one of those odd coincidences that happened way back when. I'd imagine that should a city now adopt a flag similar to another, they'd soon be informed of the similarity.

Of course mistakes can still happen in publications - I remember that the Monaco GP had the flag of Poland for quite a few seasons in a certain publication...

Indonesian flag

Monaco Flag

#2510 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 08:54

Great job by liberty in signing 4 very lucrative deals for F1 (Saudi, Miami, Qatar and Las Vegas) but I hope that they use these windfalls to subsidize a GP in South Africa. The sooner the better as Lewis who will very important in getting international travelers to event before it stands on its own legs. I would prefer if this years Russian GP is replaced by a race in Kyalami. The news that Formula E is using the Cape Town venue is great, they could extend the circuit a little longer to make it a double bill with F1 like in Monaco would be awesome as Liberty seems to be after street races. Kyalami-Circuit-01-min.jpg

#2511 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,798 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 11:16

Africa is a basket case from top to bottom, its somehow gone backwards in the last 15 years which takes some effort.

#2512 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,856 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 12:58

Africa is a basket case from top to bottom, its somehow gone backwards in the last 15 years which takes some effort.

"Africa" is a very broad statement. 

There are many success stories for individual countries on the continent, although many were economically badly affected by COVID 19, but that was more due to the West's response than their own.  

"Europe" as a whole has regressed far more than "Africa" in the past 15 years. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 08 April 2022 - 12:58.

#2513 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 13:06

And lets not forget the Chinese who are heavily involved in many countries. Like Nigeria. Chinese money is being poured into that country like they are putting out a bushfire with water. Ever Googled "Eko Atlantic"? Dubai would be jealous.

#2514 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,856 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 18:14

And lets not forget the Chinese who are heavily involved in many countries. Like Nigeria. Chinese money is being poured into that country like they are putting out a bushfire with water. Ever Googled "Eko Atlantic"? Dubai would be jealous.

And the Chinese have their paws all over the 'New Administrative Capital' in Egypt, to name but one other big project they are involved with, amongst all the infrastruture projects across the continent they are pouring resources into (in return for a lot of minerals, most of the time, which they need to feed the Western demand for tech manufacturing in China). 

But you're completely right. It is a form of neo-colonialism, which seems to be overlooked by the west as we bend over backwards to apologise for our past wrongdoings, but it is essentially the same process. 

I can definitely see one of these countries going for an F1 race at some point, with a backbone of Chinese investment behind it. I would put money on a Nigerian GP happening in the next 10 years. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 08 April 2022 - 18:15.

#2515 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 18:33

I completely agree. Safe bet, to me, is one of the following three countries to host an African Grand Prix in the next decade: Nigeria, Egypt or South Africa.

#2516 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,270 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 05:40

Double header in Singapore instead of an extra race in Europe?

Sad state of affairs when there's no race in Germany. Could've went to either Hockenheim or Nurburgring, to Istanbul or Portimao, or Mugello, Estoril even...

Probably once again a case of who stumps up the most money.

Why even bother? Just drop the round altogether and give everyone a break.

Edited by F1 Mike, 09 April 2022 - 05:44.

#2517 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 10:21

Oh lord, no, please no.  One race there is bad enough.  There is a whole world out there.  No need for double headers.

#2518 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,921 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:02

If anything, I'd rather have double header at Monza. September isn't even bad weather-wise, so they could race anywhere in Europe. Mugello is my favorite choice. They could even have F3 and Porsche Supercup finale there.

But we know Liberty, they only want more night street races. If they could do it, they would have a calendar with 30 night street races all around the world in big cities. ):

#2519 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:04

would be a horrible decision.

I would really like to see these cars in Mugello. That track is impressive. 

Advertisement

#2520 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:11

They can't be in Europe and in less than a week go to Singapore and have everything ready. The easiest and most appealing solution would be to race in Malaysia.

#2521 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,922 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:18

Egypt - as long as the cars have to go through a pyramid at some point

Is Alex Wurz not designing some mad circuit with waterfalls and suchlike?

#2522 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,921 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 11:23

They can't be in Europe and in less than a week go to Singapore and have everything ready. The easiest and most appealing solution would be to race in Malaysia.

Why couldn't they race a week after Monza? That leaves them 2 weeks before Singapore.

#2523 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 17:30

Why couldn't they race a week after Monza? That leaves them 2 weeks before Singapore.

Overseas races are planned months in advance so that much of the team’s equipment is shipped by sea using one of their five duplicate sets. Perhaps the Australia equipment could be sent that way, but they already have sea freight scheduled to a different destination and would need to rearrange other freight to cover where this set would be headed. Flying all of that from Europe sounds prohibitively expensive

Edited by boomn, 09 April 2022 - 17:31.

#2524 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 17:33

Unspeak this.   :rotfl:

Edited by ARTGP, 09 April 2022 - 17:34.

#2525 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,802 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 17:35

Teams have two sets of equipment. Some of the Melbourne stuff was on a ship to Australia while we were racing in Saudi Arabia.

The cars themselves can get flown to Singapore. 

#2526 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 17:42

would be a horrible decision.

I would really like to see these cars in Mugello. That track is impressive. 

:clap:  :clap:

There is no corner speed lower than 140km/h there, and with the increased ability to follow Mugello would be GREAT.

It's got history, daunting corners, proper track limits and a guaranteed crowd. What's not to like?

#2527 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 17:42

Teams have two sets of equipment. Some of the Melbourne stuff was on a ship to Australia while we were racing in Saudi Arabia.

The cars themselves can get flown to Singapore.

Five sets according to a recent news article. The Australia equipment was on ships before winter testing even begun. Another set is likely already on ships to Miami, and I’m guessing on to Montreal from there. The Saudi set might not be going to Imola but some other later race. Their logistics have gotten very complicated!

Edited by boomn, 09 April 2022 - 17:43.

#2528 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 18:21

A return to Mugello would be fantastic. Portugal would be my preferred option though.

#2529 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,798 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 01:39

"Africa" is a very broad statement.

There are many success stories for individual countries on the continent, although many were economically badly affected by COVID 19, but that was more due to the West's response than their own.

"Europe" as a whole has regressed far more than "Africa" in the past 15 years.

Can you name any? The larger countries have all had a wretched time recently, south Africa, Ethiopia, the sudans, kenya and Nigeria have all regressed.

The continent is an absolute mess and will be some time before f1 goes anywhere near it.

#2530 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 12:20

Should the second Chinese GP be at Macau or Zhuhai ?

#2531 d246

d246

• 1,050 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 15:45

The Chinese GP could be in any number of African countries, or the deep sea port town in Pakistan etc...

#2532 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 15:53

They need to run the first Chinese GP before worrying about a second one.  And with Shanghai rigidly locked down and the inhabitants apparently starving, that is happening any tine soon.

Macao would be impossible.  F1 cars wouldn't be able to negotiate the Melco Hairpin (which anyway has a permanent yellow flag out during races) and half the track is as narrow as just the Baku castle section.  

#2533 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 17:21

The can just go around a couple of streets from Melco Hairpin

#2534 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 17:42

The Chinese GP could be in any number of African countries, or the deep sea port town in Pakistan etc...

... or European countries, or Asian countries, or maybe countries on other continents.

#2535 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,856 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:30

They need to run the first Chinese GP before worrying about a second one. And with Shanghai rigidly locked down and the inhabitants apparently starving, that is happening any tine soon.

To be honest, as F1 quickly cancelled the contract of the Russian GP for their actions in Ukraine, then they should terminate the Shanghai GP for what they are doing to their own citizens in that city.

But obviously that won't happen.

#2536 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 07:51

To be honest, as F1 quickly cancelled the contract of the Russian GP for their actions in Ukraine, then they should terminate the Shanghai GP for what they are doing to their own citizens in that city.

But obviously that won't happen.

[sarcasm]Oh dear, what is happening there? The western news doesnt show anything about that. Only domestic pandemic stuff and something with fireworks in Ukraine is shown. So, if the news doesnt show it, then there is no issue.. right..?[/sarcasm]

#2537 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:24

The can just go around a couple of streets from Melco Hairpin

So why haven't they done that already then?  And that won't change the fact that almost 50% of the circuit is too narrow for any real racing.

[sarcasm]Oh dear, what is happening there? The western news doesnt show anything about that. Only domestic pandemic stuff and something with fireworks in Ukraine is shown. So, if the news doesnt show it, then there is no issue.. right..?[/sarcasm]

Perhaps you need to get some better western news media?

#2538 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:33

So why haven't they done that already then?  And that won't change the fact that almost 50% of the circuit is too narrow for any real racing.

Perhaps you need to get some better western news media?

You seriously say that the BBC is better?   ;)

Lets say that with the mainstream media that I daily encounter, not much is being said about the situation in China or Shanghai. Its due to the fact that I daily dig into the interwebs that I find other media that do highlight these events.

#2539 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:44

You seriously say that the BBC is better?   ;)

Better than what though?  I am no great BBC fan - their bias on certain subjects is worrying, but compared to the likes of Fox, Blick, the Sun and some of the other less than objective media, then yes, it is far better.  As you saw, they are covering the Shanghai business pretty comprehensively.

But more generally, you are right that much of the mainstream media focuses on one or two issues and sweep the rest aside.  Then when it loses interest in those issues, they get swept aside in turn.  

Advertisement

#2540 azza200

azza200

• 1,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 23:35

Australian GP was a template for modern F1. But where does it fit on the calendar? https://www.motorspo...InjwQ5jf7W_ryhk

F1 is in the very early stages of its record-breaking 23-race calendar that has drawn significant amounts of criticism from many who work in the sport due to the demands it is placing on them. And yet in just the third round they are already being physically tested by a journey that is literally halfway across the world (you’ll struggle to find any route that took less than 24 hours in each direction) for just six hours of track action.

“I think Melbourne as a season opener was really cool, because everybody came out here early,” George Russell admitted at the weekend. “And it was a lot of excitement and anticipation, but I think having Melbourne in between races, especially as a standalone is too tough for the teams and everybody. People came out on Saturdays and Sundays to get acclimatized to the conditions, to the time zone change and it’s just too much I think.

“I think it needs to be thought about more. I think there’s no reason why we couldn’t do it back-to-back with one of the Middle Eastern races. But it feels like another double header for all of the teams with the amount of time they spend in this part of the world. And as the season is getting longer and longer, we need to find a better balance.”

It might seem like a small point, but it’s an important one, as F1 looks to continue its growth. The race itself is a massive highlight of which the sport should be proud, but it’s got to help it by being sensible with its scheduling.

Edited by azza200, 17 April 2022 - 23:37.

#2541 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 08:10

Clearly we need a New Zealand GP  :p

#2542 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 949 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 08:24

Clearly we need a New Zealand GP  :p

I can only think of Taupo International Circuit as a potential location... but that would be awesome.

#2543 Beri

Beri

• 11,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:07

Auckland Street Circuit has a ring to it..

#2544 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,328 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 11:08

It is the single most underwhelming city i have been to vs expectations.

Agreed

With Las Vegas a close 2nd.

#2545 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 21:45

According to Autohebdo:

- Monaco GP future is the hands of Albert 2 on whether he wants to give in regarding concessions for Liberty

- Liberty is not happy at all about the changes and renovations made at Spa which are too much oriented towards bike racing, they think that Zandvoort can be enough in order to cover the BENELUX area

- Liberty sent a contract proposal to French GP for a renewal on the provision they show they host a big a number of spectators in a acceptable manner, PACA region is willing to pay the price tag for Liberty

#2546 registered

registered

• 2,434 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 21:58

The layout is literally the same as before in Spa. Just a stupid made up reason against the circuit

#2547 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 23:36

According to Autohebdo:

- Monaco GP future is the hands of Albert 2 on whether he wants to give in regarding concessions for Liberty

- Liberty is not happy at all about the changes and renovations made at Spa which are too much oriented towards bike racing, they think that Zandvoort can be enough in order to cover the BENELUX area

- Liberty sent a contract proposal to French GP for a renewal on the provision they show they host a big a number of spectators in a acceptable manner, PACA region is willing to pay the price tag for Liberty

I'd love to hear LM's definition of hosting large numbers of people "in an acceptable manner". Judging from COTA's performances in this regard, their bar is pretty low ... as in almost on the floor.

#2548 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,598 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 23:39

According to Autohebdo:

Embarrassing.

#2549 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 00:37

"...ot happy about changes and Spa... Zandvoort enough to cover Benelux..."

Quoting one of the most famous lines these days, "Liberty Media, go ...", well you know ;)

#2550 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 06:07

I'd love to hear LM's definition of hosting large numbers of people "in an acceptable manner". Judging from COTA's performances in this regard, their bar is pretty low ... as in almost on the floor.

Well to make sure they at least reach the track.

2018 is still pretty fresh in Liberty mind.

2022 will be the first they will have a comparable crowd to the 2018 running so Liberty will be able to see if improvements have been made.