Photo

Dark Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 22:16

Obvious one here.  It'd be *really* nice to have a dark mode for the forums.  I've gotten so used to dark modes for sites that using these bright white ones feels piercing and nearly painful to look at for a length of time, especially in the evening/at night.  

Somebody making a Chrome extension for this would be fantastic as well.  

Edited by Seanspeed, 08 April 2018 - 22:17.

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:58

Darker is invariably harder to read by its nature.

I hear you, though. If it ever bugged me, I'd either turn my monitor brightness down or put on sunglasses (seriously).

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,297 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:39

I find dark modes difficult to use. So I use f.lux

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:00

Darker is invariably harder to read by its nature.

I hear you, though. If it ever bugged me, I'd either turn my monitor brightness down or put on sunglasses (seriously).

I have zero issues reading any dark mode sites.

And this was never an issue before at the same brightness. Was only until I started using dark modes more that I've felt the difference become more apparent. It's way easier on my eyes and I think it looks better, too.

Either way, I'm not demanding it be universal, would just like it to be an option. I'm far from alone in preferring dark modes nowadays.

#5 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,427 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:01

Dark mode is the future. Twitter in dark mode is infinitely better for your eyes and aesthetically.

#6 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 15,195 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:28

Capture.jpg

There is a chrome extension called high contrast. The screen grab shown gives you an idea of what to expect and if it's suitable for your needs. It can be enabled and disabled as needed with a number of settings to select from.

#7 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:17

Capture.jpg

There is a chrome extension called high contrast. The screen grab shown gives you an idea of what to expect and if it's suitable for your needs. It can be enabled and disabled as needed with a number of settings to select from.

Just gave it a try and it's a bit of a pain as it's set as default for every page I visit and I have to manually disable it every time if I dont want it.  I cant just have it off for everything and only tell it to activate for certain sites.  

Not quite the 'dark mode' I'd like anyways.  Good dark modes tend to use a dark grey rather than full black background.  

Thanks, though.  :up:

#8 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 12,606 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 14:11

Skype has just had a full overhaul with a dark theme. It's fantastic.

skype-uwp-dark.jpg?itok=BDRvTysQ