* * - - - 7 votes

Alonso: trophies I don't deserve

• Please log in to reply
596 replies to this topic

#1 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 14:55

Read that Alonso said he's happy with his status in F1 and that he would rather have these 2 trophies than a bunch of trophies at home that people don't think I deserved, that would be harder to live with.

So, is this a veiled dig at anyone in particular or just that drivers are not as important to winning a title as they used to be when he was winning them? I would say this is a dig at Vettel but if it is, then it's at Hamilton too, they both won with dominant cars, and mostly only had their teammate to compete with .

So, who are the drivers in possession of trophies they don't deserve? 

Advertisement

#2 ckolcz

ckolcz

• 2,798 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 14:57

Alonso, Singapore 2008 :p

#3 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:07

Alonso, Hockenheim 2010 ):

ST :wave:

#4 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:09

So, is this a veiled dig at anyone in particular or just that drivers are not as important to winning a title as they used to be when he was winning them?

That his team-mate just so happened to also have career-best WDC finishing positions in the years Alonso won titles at Renault is a magic coincidence!  :p 

F1 is a car competition first and foremost. Even Fangio had no trouble figuring that out, and always tried to be in the best cars.

Nobody, because that's not a factor in handing out trophies.

#5 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,687 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:10

It's his way of attacking Vettel after losing the WDC (2010-2012) in the last race...apparently it still hurts.

Remember the "we are fighting against Newey and not Vettel" @ 2012?

Ive never heard Lewis or Seb making such comments about a colleague...

Nico Rosberg is 100 percent right.

#6 pup

pup

• 2,675 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:17

Brazil, 2003

#7 Amin

Amin

• 713 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:18

I respect Alonso greatly as a driver but comments like these are why I've never liked him. 

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 47,545 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:18

Read that Alonso said...

Do you have a link to where he said all this?

#9 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:20

Than you didn't listen. Basically Alonso and Hamilton were singing the same tunes in this regard during Vettels Red Bull years.

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,922 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:20

I kinda agree, he deserves the titles from 2010 and 2012 but often in life we don't get what we deserve or maybe we truly don't deserve it and that's why we don't get it.

This is the kind of thing you can think but you should not say in public, it makes you look bitter.

#11 pup

pup

• 2,675 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:25

Than you didn't listen. Basically Alonso and Hamilton were singing the same tunes in this regard during Vettels Red Bull years.

Yep, and if Vettel had been in their place then he'd have said the same thing retired in obscurity long ago. 

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,945 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:25

Funny that Hamilton didnt complain when he had an absolutely dominant car though.

#13 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,345 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:28

Isn't it more a prelude that he will quit F1. And that he is looking at the results he has and justfying it to himself why world championships don't tell the whole story.

#14 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,687 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:33

I remember (2013) Lewis talking about how good the Red Bull was but honestly I've never heard him trying to hint Vettel didn't deserve the titles and if he did he was wrong too but Alonso doesn't stop... every opportunity he has he makes sure directly or indirectly to remind us how SB's WDCs were all about the car and not the driver.

#15 revmeister

revmeister

• 812 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:34

Sigh, another bash thread.

I'd like to see the quote. If it was anything close what this piece implies, it was likely in response to yet another 'you've wasted your career' premised question from a reporter who never won anything.

As far as Vettel is concerned, Alonso drove him very close to the wire on those championships, so I doubt he is disrespecting him or anyone else for that matter. Just more made up stuff.

Edited by revmeister, 12 June 2018 - 15:38.

#16 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,661 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:39

I remember Hamilton and Alonso commenting on the number of mistakes Vettel would make in qualifying and still win pole by a few tenths in the Red Bull.

#17 trickle

trickle

• 1,225 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:39

It's his way of attacking Vettel after losing the WDC (2010-2012) in the last race...apparently it still hurts.

Remember the "we are fighting against Newey and not Vettel" @ 2012?

Nico Rosberg is 100 percent right.

Yeah, Alonso is known for "attacking" Seb whenever he can. He must be very frustrated about him and his person, since he lost the title 2010 against him and in the following even more "wins" and records. And finally he replaced him at Ferrari and - at least at my point of view - is more liked inside the team than Alonso ever was and also is gaining more and more momentum, as Alonso is nowhere since 3-4 years.

But that beside, I watched the Sky F1 pre talk with Alonso and Brundle, where Alonso said he is at least 95% perfect in anything, which says much about his ego. Of course you can think whatever you want about yourself, but I doubt other drivers would have praise themself in such a way.

#18 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:47

I remember Hamilton and Alonso commenting on the number of mistakes Vettel would make in qualifying and still win pole by a few tenths in the Red Bull.

And Hamilton saying he wouldn't want to win like that with a car that blows the others out of the water............. then 2014 happened.

#19 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:48

I have noticed for a good while that Alonso has a bit of a chip on his shoulder regarding Vettel. He narrowly lost two championships (2010, 2012) against him. And then Vettel took his Ferrari seat, which has turned out to be a much better career choice that the option Alonso took in McLaren. It must sting. Add to that that Alonso really doesn't rate Vettel on level with himself, so it's like an eternal pain for him that a 'less deserving guy' is getting all the limelight ahead of him. All I can say about that that one day you have to man up and deal with it. :)

Advertisement

#20 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 15:51

I think that now Alonso hates Vettel more than Webber ever did.

#21 SarbaV

SarbaV

• 341 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:00

Vettel is the only one who didnt come to take photos with 300th gp celebrations.

#22 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,885 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:01

Do you have a link to where he said all this?

Sigh, another bash thread.

I'd like to see the quote. If it was anything close what this piece implies, it was likely in response to yet another 'you've wasted your career' premised question from a reporter who never won anything.

As far as Vettel is concerned, Alonso drove him very close to the wire on those championships, so I doubt he is disrespecting him or anyone else for that matter. Just more made up stuff.

Yep. An awful lot of bashing over a quote that has not yet even been substantiated. I'd suggest a lock pending a direct quote.

#23 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:05

... a quote that has not yet even been substantiated. I'd suggest a lock pending a direct quote.

It's on Autosport:

When asked in Montreal how he feels about having fewer race wins and titles than some of F1's other great drivers, Alonso said: "In a way it's better this way.

"I will not be happy if I have many trophies at home and people think that I don't deserve them. That would be even harder.

https://www.autospor...served-trophies

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,885 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:08

It's on Autosport:

Thanks. Doesn't seem so awful to me. And if it's a dig at Vettel, so be it. He'd just be saying what a whole lot of people have already said, including others in F1.

Edited by AustinF1, 12 June 2018 - 16:09.

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:15

Thanks. Doesn't seem so awful to me. And if it's a dig at Vettel, so be it. He'd just be saying what a whole lot of people have already said, including others in F1.

That Alonso has his issues with Vettel is understandable, given his multiple failed attempts to beat him in a season-long contest. That has a way of souring relations - just look at Rosberg/Hamilton. That was fun!

But the cars are always important - not just when Vettel is driving them. The driver is just the last part of a long chain of work, involving hundreds of people.

And of course it's also true that Vettel beat Alonso in a year where Red Bull won only 1 in 3 races.

Edited by Nonesuch, 12 June 2018 - 16:17.

#26 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,220 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:21

Only question I would have for Alonso after saying this is has he handed back his trophies for Singapore 2008 and Germany 2010? 

Edit: Should have known people would have beat me to this  :lol:

Edited by SilverArrow31, 12 June 2018 - 16:23.

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,082 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:22

No love lost between Alonso and Vettel then. Shame they've spent the last few years racing at opposite ends of the track.

#28 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:23

Vettel is the only one who didnt come to take photos with 300th gp celebrations.

That's simply not true.

Either three teams plus Sainz visited the party on Thursday or every driver was there on Sunday. https://twitter.com/...851669446512645

#29 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:31

Sz4PRGX.png

Forcibly fed humble pie since late '12.

Fernando needs to purge his many sins on the altars of WEC and Indycar. It is the only way.

#30 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:32

https://www.autospor...served-trophies

#31 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:37

I have to admit Vettel to me has more class than those two for comments like that, what he did in Baku though, kinda pulls it back. Perhaps just more class in front of journalists 

When Vettel is beaten by the Mercs he admits they did a great job and doesn't try to find an excuse. 

Hamilton did say Red Bull is just a drinks company and have no racing pedigree. Not sure if he was trying to diminish their success or answering as to why he wouldn't join Red Bull but I remember the just a drinks company comment and feellng glad Vettel was getting to all of them. 

Edited by Mosrite, 12 June 2018 - 16:38.

#32 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:39

Vettel winning a fifth title this year will be a pretty large dark mark on the WDC title.

#33 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:40

Vettel winning a fifth title this year will be a pretty large dark mark on the WDC title.

Why?

#34 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:41

Well, certainly I wonder, how can folks handle his 5th title. We would have the forum complaining throughout the off-season, how it's the most undeserving achievement in the history of Formula 1. Yawn.  :p

#35 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:46

Sorry if I offended anyone, I did not think I was coming up with fake news or a bashing thread, I just wanted to know if I was the only one who saw this as a dig....that's all.

I can understand Alonso's frustrations with Vettel but he should be upset with Ferrari, not Vettel. It is Ferrari that went to cover Webber and Vettel stayed out to win his first WDC. Vettel had nothing to do with Alonso's Ferrari not being able to overtake Petrov so I guess Vettel is the easy target, when I see it more as Ferrari holding Fernando back 

#36 Eff1

Eff1

• 748 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:52

Making something out of nothing again. Vettel and Hamilton are not mentioned anywhere and people obviously are looking for a veiled dig.

Ironically I visited the Museum Fernando Alonso this morning on the outskirts of his hometown Oviedo. All his trophies/awards, cars, and overalls are presented. Must say, a lot of those wins were very memorable - I think the only dominant wins he had were around the start of 05, otherwise he had tough competition for most of his victories. In the context of this quote - I coincidentally being at the museum this morning - I kind of see his point. Anyway I think he should move over to Indy and give it a crack. He has a better shot at adding to his collection methinks.

#37 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:53

I think any driver trying to see the bright sides of an in some ways disappointing at times career would say something like this. So I think it's more of an internal reflection of his own experience of what could have been and what has been.

At the end of day the only person who knows exactly how much malice towards other drivers was intended by those words is Fernando himself.

#38 P123

P123

• 24,158 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:54

Maybe a dig, maybe just taking the next best thing which is the more attractive narrative of being a battler against the odds fighting for every scrap, even if it doesn't bring the success you'd want. I think he's just putting some polish on it.

#39 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,468 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:56

Only question I would have for Alonso after saying this is has he handed back his trophies for Singapore 2008 and Germany 2010? 

Edit: Should have known people would have beat me to this  :lol:

Singapore 2008 maybe, but why Hockenheim 2010? Team orders, more or les veiled, have always been a constant in Formula 1. The rest of top drivers have also taken profit of them, namely Vettel (what about using his teammate as roadblock?). The only thing about Hockenheim 2010 is that unprofessional Massa made it too obvious.

Advertisement

#40 otakukim

otakukim

• 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 16:59

Seb was there. At the back

#41 trickle

trickle

• 1,225 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:01

Singapore 2008 maybe, but why Hockenheim 2010? Team orders, more or les veiled, have always been a constant in Formula 1. The rest of top drivers have also taken profit of them, namely Vettel (what about using his teammate as roadblock?). The only thing about Hockenheim 2010 is that unprofessional Massa made it too obvious.

Sure, but in his context of "deserving trophies" it doesn't match if you win because your teammate was forced to let you you pass.

#42 Whiz

Whiz

• 857 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:04

Singapore maybe?? Not maybe, he didn't deserve that win. He would've never won that GP without Flavio's (still a close friend of him) Masterplan. Hockenheim, because Massa really deserved that win after Hungary 09 and because Teamorders were forbidden back then. 

I don't think that Alonso deserved the 2010 WDC more than Vettel. He did some stupid mistakes that year. Vettel's car had bad reliability otherwise Vettel would've won way before Abu Dhabi.

Alonso is really frustrated. This could be a dig at Rai 07 and of course Hamilton. Alonso just shows again why I will never like him as a person.

#43 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:04

I am worried Alonso will get a heart attack this year when Vettel wins his fifth title :smoking:

#44 Mosrite

Mosrite

• 1,099 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:10

I am worried Alonso will get a heart attack this year when Vettel wins his fifth title :smoking:

with Ferrari no less but I still think Hamilton will get better after the summer break and win it first

#45 Nova

Nova

• 18,628 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:17

Read that Alonso said he's happy with his status in F1 and that he would rather have these 2 trophies than a bunch of trophies at home that people don't think I deserved, that would be harder to live with.

So, is this a veiled dig at anyone in particular or just that drivers are not as important to winning a title as they used to be when he was winning them? I would say this is a dig at Vettel but if it is, then it's at Hamilton too, they both won with dominant cars, and mostly only had their teammate to compete with .

Well he also think he is an F1 all time great, and that if soon will drive a grueling Le Mans race against 10 vicious and competent foes. Never been a tighter Le Man :lol:

Me think Fernando is a legend in his own mind.

#46 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,569 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:20

Funny that Hamilton didnt complain when he had an absolutely dominant car though.

He complained a lot, funnily enough (but not about the relative competitiveness of the car)!

#47 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,569 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:23

Based on the link provided, it was a fairly rude question and the answer would have to be something like the one he gave. 

https://www.autospor...8821.1481560829

Edited by garoidb, 12 June 2018 - 17:25.

#48 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,067 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:44

The fact that everyone is mentioning Vettel just shows that it's a widely held public opinion.

If you didn't see it that way then it wouldn't enter your mind.

#49 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:55

I think he’s talking about Schumacher

#50 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,885 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 17:59

Exactly.