- - - - -

Suggestion for next year's race at Paul Ricard

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,507 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 00:47

Some drivers and teams have suggested that the full Mistral straight be used in next season's race.

If that is the case, I would suggest the DRS zone start where it is now, but a second zone added around where the chicane is. At the second zone all car will be allowed the use of DRS.

The idea is that the car behind at the DRS detection point may breeze past on the first part of the straight, but in the second half the other car will have a chance to pick up the slipstream and get back past.

The consensus is that the cars could easily go flat with DRS open through Signes. That would be quite spectacular at 220mph!

Advertisement

#2 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:59

Leave it as it is.

In most races DRS doesn't work. Here it worked arguably too well. But it's just one race, and it lead to more overtaking than usual.

#3 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:17

Some drivers and teams have suggested that the full Mistral straight be used in next season's race.

If that is the case, I would suggest the DRS zone start where it is now, but a second zone added around where the chicane is. At the second zone all car will be allowed the use of DRS.

The idea is that the car behind at the DRS detection point may breeze past on the first part of the straight, but in the second half the other car will have a chance to pick up the slipstream and get back past.

The consensus is that the cars could easily go flat with DRS open through Signes. That would be quite spectacular at 220mph!

Even next year? With the altered aero?

#4 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:43

Leave the track as it is, overraking was plentiful and it was not just restricted to Mistral. The problems the French Grand Prix had (and there were many) were not related to the track.

Edited by TennisUK, 25 June 2018 - 05:43.

#5 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:43

Take the full back straight and keep only a single DRS zone on the main straight.

#6 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,373 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:41

Based on AMuS we had 57 overtake maneuvers - which is season record.

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,746 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:22

Hold it somewhere else.

#8 Stumpy29

Stumpy29

• 572 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:27

Find a way to fix that pit lane exit. 

#9 Peat

Peat

• 8,862 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:04

The pitlane exit is not the problem it appears to be from the low T1 camera angle. There is ample time to see someone exiting the pits and move accordingly. 

#10 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:10

Get rid of those blue and red ****ing stripes.

Who in gods name thought it was a good idea it just awful.

#11 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:14

The track needs more track side indicators to help fans know where the cars are on the track (do the painted guardrails like Valencia and Singapore maybe?) but other than that it was fine.

#12 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:15

Leave it as it is.

In most races DRS doesn't work. Here it worked arguably too well. But it's just one race, and it lead to more overtaking than usual.

I agree. Faffing around with race circuit configurations other than for safety reasons is - just ..just don't do it!

#13 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,376 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:08

In my opinion, overtaking with DRS was far too easy at Mistral straight, before the chicane. The DRS zone should be shorter.

No overtaking is bad, but too much overtaking is also bad, when it's too easy. Overtaking should remain a daring, risky and difficult manoeuvre.

#14 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:21

Get rid of the bloody ridiculous painted run off zones, that aren't policed anyway, and put in some kerbs, grass and gravel pits.

#15 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 640 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:23

Hold it at Le Mans (Bugatti Circuit) instead....

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:27

Get some proper trophies?

#17 Barty

Barty

• 2,092 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:28

No. Two DRS zones after one another is a bad idea. We see it already in Abu Dhabi.

#18 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:32

Joke? Also no way the ACO would pay what Liberty would want.

#19 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:29

I seem to remember everyone agreeing after 67 that F1 would never go to Le Mans again. It would be nice to see something being kept in F1!

Advertisement

#20 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 640 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:45

Joke? Also no way the ACO would pay what Liberty would want.

No joke, it's a good circuit

Better infrastructure (road, rail, accomodation, catering)

Decent circuit layout (+ 2 suitable DRS zones)

More grandstands

Safer pit exit

Abundance of gravel traps, no more 1st corner cutting 

Better location

Iconic venue

Of course it'd never happen, the ACO would rather go bankrupt than do anything with FOM and vice versa, plus I doubt Pirelli would be happy with the 'Dunlop Chicane'.

#21 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,997 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:48

Granted, when compared to the classic track in the 60's it was boring. But it was deemed "to small and unraceable" in 1967, With narrow cars with no wings etc. Imagine how it will be with the tank-sized 2017-onward cars.

#22 Apex11

Apex11

• 145 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:16

Go to Magny Cours

#23 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:54

Suspend all French drivers before the race so that they don't make fools of themselves in front of their home crowd.

#24 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:58

The pitlane exit is not the problem it appears to be from the low T1 camera angle. There is ample time to see someone exiting the pits and move accordingly. 

And when someone overtakes on the straight, the one on the right gets nudged in a car exiting the pits... not very handy. 

In one of the zillion configurations, this couldn't be changed?

- ditch the run-offs, at least paint the zones differently. I didn't have a clue where Stroll ended up after crossing all those barcodes.

- whole straight. F1 needs a bit of a mental track now and then. 

- make some kind of obstacle course so cutting corners is punished.

#25 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:09

Based on AMuS we had 57 overtake maneuvers - which is season record.

Putting two of the fastest cars to the back of the field will help that.

#26 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:18

Suspend all French drivers before the race so that they don't make fools of themselves in front of their home crowd.

Im sure you are trying to be funny. But please,dont give up your day job! :p

#27 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:20

Remove DRS and the chicane. Remove the grandstands too.

#28 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,001 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:23

Putting two of the fastest cars to the back of the field will help that.

Exactly....the DRS overtakes were inconclusive, (1) we had cars that were out of position (2) cars with a significant pace difference between the top 3 teams (3) drivers that didn't want to fight another similar engine cars (4) we had cars with older tires overtaken by cars with fresher tires.....so again not a straight fight.....

#29 MonkeySpin

MonkeySpin

• 397 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:26

Get rid of all the stupid lines at the side of the track and I think it was a pretty solid race. Not need to change anything IMO.

#30 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:29

I thought the event went pretty well. The track's a dump but it provided reasonable opportunities for wheel to wheel racing. DRS is not required at this track.

I found it very enjoyable to see the French failing to please the home crowd. Even funnier, with Sainz trying to nurse an underpowered Renault to the flag, to see the marshals making it abundantly clear they had absolutely no intention of clearing the track in a hurry after the Williams blow-out. If the Renault is going slowly, let them all go slowly! Gotta love em!

#31 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:31

Better infrastructure (road, rail, accomodation, catering)

Decent circuit layout (+ 2 suitable DRS zones)

More grandstands

Safer pit exit

Abundance of gravel traps, no more 1st corner cutting 

Better location

Iconic venue

Of course it'd never happen, the ACO would rather go bankrupt than do anything with FOM and vice versa, plus I doubt Pirelli would be happy with the 'Dunlop Chicane'.

You might wanna check that Dunlop Curve again. 

#32 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 13:47

Is there such a thing as the ideal race circuit?

In Utopia perhaps!

#33 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 14:44

You joker.

That circuit wasn't good in the 50s, imagine now...

#34 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 14:47

Is there such a thing as the ideal race circuit?

In Utopia perhaps!

Actually there are, but the wrong cars will ruin any circuit, even one which is apparently perfect.

#35 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 14:59

Rouen-les-Essarts!

#36 Toxicant

Toxicant

• 2,192 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 17:18

Let them open up the wing where ever they want, restrictions are quite annoying. 

#37 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 17:38

In my opinion, overtaking with DRS was far too easy at Mistral straight, before the chicane. The DRS zone should be shorter.

No overtaking is bad, but too much overtaking is also bad, when it's too easy. Overtaking should remain a daring, risky and difficult manoeuvre.

They can still swerve back and forth at each other. That's daring, risky and difficult enough.

#38 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 18:41

Get rid of all the stupid lines at the side of the track and I think it was a pretty solid race. Not need to change anything IMO.

How good would it have been without the field being jumbled up on the first lap?

#39 Barty

Barty

• 2,092 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 22:24

Find a way to fix that pit lane exit. 

Actually, the simplest way to do that is to run the race in the other direction. That would also eliminate the safety problem at the pit entry. If run in the other direction, both entry and exit would be off the racing line.

Advertisement

#40 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:42

About the pit exit: it's not that there's 3-4 meters of run-off that could be used alongside the racing line, and cars exiting at turn-in for the first corner. 

Paul_Ricard_pit_exit.jpgfree upload pictures

Oh, and they should make the run-offs green or beige or whatever, instead of those blue and red lines.

#41 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:35

Get some proper trophies?

Harambe disapproves! :mad:

#42 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:36

They should go to Le Mans

#43 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 15:07

https://www.autospor...despite-trouble

This guy is utterly clueless. I know of several people who didn’t go on Sunday even though they had a ticket. They got caught in the chaos of Friday, with 38 degree temperatures, stuck on the DN8 for 4 hours with no where to get water with kids in the car.

He doesn’t even mention the **** show inside the track, where anyone tenacious enough to want a beer would need to queue for over an hour for the privilege. Likewise a water would take the same wait. Meanwhile a queue for a pot of pate would take just a few minutes. Just crazy.

The only reason most people watching on TV thought it was a good show is because they didn’t Have to experience how crap the customer experience was. The level of organisation was far, far below any other F1 race I have been to - and I say this as someone that has been to Monza...

#44 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 15:21

Who goes to an F1 race without taking their own refreshments? Buying stuff at the track is for mugs.

#45 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 15:35

You aren’t allowed to take any food or drink in (as is the case at many other tracks). On the Sunday we took matters in to our own hands and smuggled a cheap bottle of wine, some bread, cheese and saucisson. They would have gained €100,000s just in food sales had it not been run so poorly.

Edited by TennisUK, 26 June 2018 - 15:35.

#46 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,746 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 15:42

You aren’t allowed to take any food or drink in (as is the case at many other tracks). On the Sunday we took matters in to our own hands and smuggled a cheap bottle of wine, some bread, cheese and saucisson. They would have gained €100,000s just in food sales had it not been run so poorly.

Do they actually check your bags for food and drink?

#47 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 15:48

Yes. Saw people having things chucked away, too. I packed a plastic bottle under two water bottles to hide it.

Same as Barcelona and Silverstone. Monza has a more liberal attitude, probably not by design but lack of efficiency.

#48 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,515 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 15:50

Is that an F1 thing? We took an entire picnic to Thruxton for BTCC.

#49 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,458 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 16:04

Most probably.

#50 rocketredroyal

rocketredroyal

• 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 16:04

Yes. Saw people having things chucked away, too. I packed a plastic bottle under two water bottles to hide it.

Same as Barcelona and Silverstone. Monza has a more liberal attitude, probably not by design but lack of efficiency.

Never been to Barcelona but I've been attending Silverstone since 2004 and have always taken food and drink in with me, never had an issue with it. I've only ever seen Silverstone refuse glass bottles which is understandable