* - - - - 1 votes

No penalty for Verstappen obstructing Grosjean? [edited]

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eff1fan

eff1fan

• 339 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 20:08

There was never any question that Verstappen would not be penalized for having obstructed Grojeans in qualifying today, regardless of the fact that in Austria Vettel was penalized three positions for the exact same.

Just as there was no question that Hamilton would not be penalized for his infraction at the German GP.

Advertisement

#2 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 20:30

It certainly seemed sufficiently obstructive to warrant a penalty.

#3 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 20:46

Should have been a 3 grid place penalty IMO.

Again, no consistency for something that actually affected the final result. Grosjean would probably have started 1 or 2 places higher in Q3.

#4 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,686 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 21:44

There was never any question that Verstappen would not be penalized for having obstructed Grojeans in qualifying today, regardless of the fact that in Austria Vettel was penalized three positions for the exact same.
Just as there was no question that Hamilton would not be penalized for his infraction at the German GP.

Exact same, apart from the totally different conditions, Max could probably only see a bigspray of water in his mirrors. No penalty deserved.

#5 l2k2

l2k2

• 976 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 21:48

Exact same, apart from the totally different conditions, Max could probably only see a bigspray of water in his mirrors. No penalty deserved.

Team should have told him? Wasn't Vettel also saying that he did not see Sainz? It's not exactly straightforward to see a much faster car in time even in dry conditions. That is why you do not slow down considerably on the racing line unless you know there is no-one coming directly behind you. It is not exactly a surprise that there are several cars aiming for the line just before the chequered flag...

#6 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:21

Team should have told him? Wasn't Vettel also saying that he did not see Sainz? It's not exactly straightforward to see a much faster car in time even in dry conditions. That is why you do not slow down considerably on the racing line unless you know there is no-one coming directly behind you. It is not exactly a surprise that there are several cars aiming for the line just before the chequered flag...

No the team must allow him to drive alone and unaided - as it says in the rules.

#7 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:25

Vettel almost caused a crash, Verstappen hindered Grosjean a bit in very difficult conditions.

Dont claim something to be "exact same" when it clearly isnt.

#8 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:30

If the video posted in another topic was the incident in question then there was no blocking. Grosjean bailed all on his own. In fact I'd give him a penalty for wasting the stewards time. He took a dive; was more interested in pressing his radio button than keeping his foot planted.

#9 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,872 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:41

Ah is this the Verstappen controversy thread for the week?

It didn't seem that bad to me. He certainly slowed Grosjean a touch but i'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

#10 l2k2

l2k2

• 976 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:42

No the team must allow him to drive alone and unaided - as it says in the rules.

I assume this is your own interpretation of said rule; as, if I am not terribly mistaken they tell their drivers about cars about to lap too. (And usually, I'd assume based on Vettel's comments, they do indeed tell their driver if someone behind is on a hot lap and is approaching fast.)

#11 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 22:48

If the video posted in another topic was the incident in question then there was no blocking. Grosjean bailed all on his own. In fact I'd give him a penalty for wasting the stewards time. He took a dive; was more interested in pressing his radio button than keeping his foot planted.

This starts to be the diving in football yes, I don't even try to complete my lap I will just blame the guy infront of me, complain and hope the stewards give him a penalty for it.

Magnussen tried to do the same with Hamilton.

#12 baddog

baddog

• 29,770 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 23:30

No he actively chose to slow down on the racing line in heavy rain to set his next lap up. This sort of thing has caused very big accidents in the past and must be penalised.

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 23:33

That’s not what that rule means, otherwise even pit boards and marshals’s flags would be against the rules. The rule refers to control of the car being away from the driver, either by automation or remote.

#14 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,615 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 23:34

Metres between Grosjean and Verstappen > metres between Sainz and Vettel.

Verstappen about to start a quick lap, Vettel heading to the pits.

Rain, bright sunshine.

Other than that, exactly the same.

#15 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:13

Metres between Grosjean and Verstappen > metres between Sainz and Vettel.

Verstappen about to start a quick lap, Vettel heading to the pits.

Rain, bright sunshine.

Other than that, exactly the same.

You're right.

Grosjean had much less chance of judging how fast Verstappen was going and what he was doing.

An example of a faster car catching a car going much slower in the wet.

Edited by Wuzak, 29 July 2018 - 02:14.

#16 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,615 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:08

Here's an example of what actually happened:

Dont fully understand what you are writing but I have some streams to support your opinion that GRO wasn't blocked   ;)

Onboard GRO https://streamable.com/fasgi

Onboard MAX https://streamable.com/qx7n6

#17 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:12

Here's an example of what actually happened:

Is this the incident that people are talking about? It can't be, surely?????

#18 baddog

baddog

• 29,770 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:48

Grosjean clearly slows down and seems to abandon the lap in favour of getting a gap for the next one when faced with the slow car in front. How does this video support the contrary view?

#19 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,615 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:57

Grosjean could have kept it going and finished that lap as a quick lap. So he wasn't blocked on that lap. Up to him whether he wanted to finish the lap he was on and be in tonnes of spray for his last one, or abandon it and have a gap for the last one.

Slowing to set up a new lap is very different to being slow and on the racing line on an in-lap. As the stewards decision notes, the rules refer to unnecessary blocking.

Advertisement

#20 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:11

I didn't think it was very bad after seeing the video.

#21 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:23

Grosjean was compromised. Verstappen was in the way. The ideal line is a bit different in rain conditions.

Verstappen didn't get penalized because he was slowing down to make a gap to Gasly and it was impossible to see Grosjean.

https://www.racefans...sjean-incident/