- - - - -

World Constructors' Championship

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 22:54

With WDC title all almost sorted, who is going to win WCC?

1 Mercedes 563

2 Ferrari 497

Ferrari managed to make up 12 points in US. They will ultimately fall short, I think, allowing Mercedes to score 5 in a row.

Ferrari still holds record of 6 championships in a row, though, however they won last one 10 years ago (2008) when coincidentally Kimi drove for them. It would be dream if Kimi helped win championship again in his last year at Ferrari.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 21 October 2018 - 23:05.

Advertisement

#2 Shade

Shade

• 1,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 19:41

Even if Ferrari 1-2 all remaining races (highly unlikely), they will get (25+18) * 3 = 129 points

Merc finishing 3-4 gives them (15+12) * 3 = 81 points. So a 48 point difference. It's not realistic.

#3 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 19:47

Gonna be Mercedes.

Just whether they do it in Brazil or Mexico.

Edited by f1paul, 22 October 2018 - 19:47.

#4 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 19:48

It's certainly more interesting than recent years for sure.

It could only take a couple of end of season, high mileage engine blow outs or a few Bottas/Verstappen tangles to make things close.

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 20:27

With WDC title all almost sorted, who is going to win WCC?

Nobody really cares, do they?  I can remember pretty well all the WDCs since the start of F1, but WCC winners?  No.

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,291 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 20:35

If Ferrari has three 1-2 finishes (they wont) Mercedes just need 20,7 points on average per race (basically two 4-5 finishes and one 5-6 finish) to score enough points.

It would become interesting if Mercedes has a double DNF (or two seperate ones), then a 1-2 would put Ferrari just 23 points with two races to go behind them (and it would be in their power too). But it's very unlikely of course.

But at least it's not as hopeless as the driver title.

Edited by Marklar, 22 October 2018 - 20:38.

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 20:37

Nobody really cares, do they? I can remember pretty well all the WDCs since the start of F1, but WCC winners? No.

That just means you remember one list more than the other. The constructors themselves care. It gives them prestige, and of course, extra prize money. WCC position is important to all teams.

#8 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 20:45

Interesting that to this day Ferrari hasn't had a single 1-2 finish all season. US GP was a good illustration of why is that so. Even if they have a car... well, at least somebody mucks up.

Personally from WCC point of view I'm looking forward to next year. People argue whether Leclerc could beat Vettel or not, but you know - never mind which way that one goes, as long as Leclerc can live with the pace of Vettel, Ferrari would have two quick drivers, which would notably improve their WCC chances. Even if Hamilton wins the WDC in 2019, as long as both Ferrari drivers can beat Bottas, WCC chances would look good.

All in theory, but certainly that's something to look forward to, as long as car performances remain comparable of course! 2018 is a lost cause already, on all fronts.

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 20:57

That just means you remember one list more than the other. The constructors themselves care. It gives them prestige, and of course, extra prize money. WCC position is important to all teams.

The constructors care about the FOM money, sure, but the rest of the world?  I wonder.

At COTA, everyone was shouting about Hamilton's imminent WDC win.  No-one gave a **** about Mercedes's WCC win.

#10 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 21:29

I always followed WCC with interest (I must be the odd one!) but in recent years it was not exciting. Where are the days when Sir Frank cared more about WCC then WDC? They actually scored more WCCs than WDCs and Williams always said he cares about WCC more.

(WCC trivia: Last time Ferrari won WCC while not winning WDC was 2008 with Lewis taking the crown, coincidentally that was last time Ferrari won WCC. That was also the only year Torro-Rosso outscored Red Bull).

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 23 October 2018 - 21:30.

#11 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 21:35

Doesn't matter at all. 

Plenty of Mercedes cabs around here

Not a single Ferrari

The two just don't compare