Photo

Seeking Nordec Ford Special NNK 13

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NikkyEvans

NikkyEvans

• 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 18:18

Following the success of connecting my 91 year old Dad with his 1950s self built Kinloch Climax '1 EMX' (see Kinloch thread), I am now inspired to see if anyone knows anything about his previous car to that which was a Nordec Ford Special, reg NNK 13.

I have a few photos and I have also found a reference and pic of it in Ian Dussek's Motoring Specials book.

This Christmas I was planning to make a large framed collage of two of his cars with replica plates, photos, documentation and some of his 750 Club metal emblems I found in the garage! I have plenty now for 1 EMX - so much so that I decided I would need a framed collage for each car!

But apart from the wonderful Google I don't really know of places to search - and I think I may have stumbled upon a number of experts and enthusiasts here! 

Thank you for any help!

Pictured below at Silverstone 1954.  I'll get a few more pics up later.

NNK13-Silverstone-1954.jpg

Advertisement

#2 DUFFY

DUFFY

• 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 18:54

https://www.classicc...ORDEC 1949.html

Edited by DUFFY, 16 November 2018 - 18:59.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 19:01

https://forums.autos...c-and-marshall/

#4 NikkyEvans

NikkyEvans

• 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 19:10

That was quick - thanks both for the general info (I can sound vaguely knowledgeable when I next speak to my dad!).  Hopefully this will spark some NNK13 connections.

Marshalls is still big here in Cambs where I live.

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 13:41

In view of the origins of the car it is worth writing to the Vintage Sports Car Club with a general enquiry. They are a very knowledgeable and helpful crowd, many of them older and possibly recalling it from period. The Frazer Nash and pre WW Two BMW lot may recall it. They have an excellent library and may make that available to you. In the past, to save the drive there and back, they have been kind enough to copy articles etc for me and post them on for a very modest charge. They always welcome it if you make the gesture of making a larger payment towards the cause. There are VSCC members on TNF who may be happy to vouch for your credentials.
You also have the option of writing to the various classic car magazines whose various readerships cover many decades of car history.
Best of luck
Roger Lund

Edit spl.

Edited by bradbury west, 21 November 2018 - 01:00.

#6 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 21:11

I knew I'd seen that name somewhere.

Autosport, 23 April 1954, Page 521

Lydstep Hill Climb, 17 April 1954, Pembrokeshire M.C.

Sports cars up to 1100 cc U/s:

1. M. Tew, (Lotus), 39.6 sec

2. D. Evans, (Nordic) (sic), and A.K. Howarth (A.K.H.), 40.1 sec

Do you know which Silverstone meeting the above photograph was taken at?

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 21 November 2018 - 01:51.

#7 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 16:26

I think that the photo is from the Midlands Motoring Enthusiasts Club Silverstone meeting on 5th June 54 where 28 appears in the programme as Evans R W Nordic Special 1091cc.

It was entered in 

Race 1 5 lap Scratch race for Sports Cars 1100 u/s, 750 s/c

Race 9 5 lap Handicap Sports Cars Heat 1 

It qualified for the 10 lap final

#8 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 19:20

This begs the question is it Nordic or Nordec?

Evans also mentioned in report for Westbrook Hay, 21 July 1956:

"The class record for this group was previously held by R.W. Evans, Nordic Special (34.90) but many competitors bettered this figure considerably."

Source: Motor Sport, September 1956, Page 559

RGDS RLT   

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 19:28

As I recall, the chaps in blazers in Pall Mall weren't all that keen when Tony Vandervell called his cars Thinwall Specials, on the grounds that it smacked of advertising and 'trade' - which gave rise to the name Vanwall. Perhaps the same applies?

#10 MikeTurnbull

MikeTurnbull

• 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 12:55

Hello Nicky, if you are still there! 

I stumbled across your 4-years-ago post while researching content of film my father took of the Lloyds Motor Club in the fifties and sixties.There is footage of NNK13 (in 1953) both at an LMC rally near Westerham and at Silverstone. It would be great to get a bit more info. I have handed the copyright to the National Motor Museum Trust, who in return digitised the footage for me for personal use, but will attach a couple of screenshots if I can work out how to do this.

Hope to hear from you!

Mike Turnbull

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 13:39

Mike, you might get a response if you sent Nikky a Personal Message...

With any luck there will be an e.mail sent directly to advise of your message.

Mind you, it's quite likely others would like to see the screen shots posted here.

#12 MikeTurnbull

MikeTurnbull

• 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 17:36

Thanks, Ray. I couldn't see a way to send a direct message (perhaps because I am, or was, on probation on the site!) but now I see that I can. Will try her. Meanwhile, I don't seem to be able to post the photos - though I see that others have managed. Have you any advice on that? Regards, Mike

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 20:22

Upload the photo to Postimage.org...

Then click on 'share' and then 'hotlink for forums' and paste to your post.