- - - - -

Pirelli 2019

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 14:32

Who said this new format was complicated?

Pirelli will introduce a simpler naming and colour scheme for 2019. The three dry weather compounds for each Grand Prix weekend will now be referred to only as: Hard (white), Medium (yellow) and Soft (red)
chosen from a reduced range of five options. The Superhard and Supersoft have been dropped.

C1 - Hard (softer than 2018)
C2 - Medium (slightly softer than 2018)
C3 - Soft (unchanged)
C4 - Ultrasoft (comparable)
C5 - Hypersoft (comparable)

A reminder that thinner thread compounds are being used at every Grand Prix in the 2019 season. Similar compounds were utilised last season in Spain, Silverstone and France.

--

First 2019 races announced

Australia
C2, C3, C4 (M-S-US)

Bahrain
C1, C2, C3 (H-M-S)

China
C2, C3, C4 (M-S-US)

Baku
C2, C3, C4 (M-S-US)

--

This is very similar to Bridgestone's approach between 2007-2010. They had 4 compounds instead of 5, only bringing 2 to each Grand Prix, using a white or green stripe to indicate a difference in compound.

A conservative beginning to this "new era" from Pirelli, but it seems they're leaning more towards compounds that can be raced.

Edited by TomNokoe, 11 December 2018 - 14:21.

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 16:23

I think the new nomenclature makes a lot of sense. The C1-5 system is good for knowing which exact tyre is being used and is a lot like the old Goodyear convention of A, B, C, etc. But by having a simple Soft, Medium and Hard at each event makes it a lot simpler for the fan at home.

#3 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 17:33

I think the new nomenclature makes a lot of sense. The C1-5 system is good for knowing which exact tyre is being used and is a lot like the old Goodyear convention of A, B, C, etc. But by having a simple Soft, Medium and Hard at each event makes it a lot simpler for the fan at home.

I agree. This change is great and very overdue!

Good by and good riddance to, "The soft tyre is the slowest and most durable tyre because it's the hardest compound at this race."

Most viewers (and the commentators!) can enjoy the simple soft, medium, hard wording. And those of us who really want to geek out can read up on which of the C1-5 tyres are actually on the cars!

#4 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,051 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 17:36

What we had this year was ridiculous, long overdue

#5 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 18:05

Edit: I initially posted damning the three-compound-rule, but I've changed my mind. The problem is that there are too many compounds, and so bringing three not-too-dissimilar compounds to every race inevitably means we end up with one compound that's perfect. Fast enough for the top teams to use in Q2, but durable enough for them to pit on lap 10 and make it to the end at a reasonable pace.

Maybe the solution is to have only 3 compounds altogether, for every race - Hyper, Soft, Hard. The Soft being remarkably versatile, whilst the Hyper and Hard would service bespoke circuits, whilst retaining enough of a lap-time delta to encourage strategy options.

Dropping the Supersoft was a good start, now let's get rid of the Medium for 2020.

Just a thought.

Edited by TomNokoe, 10 December 2018 - 18:47.

#6 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 19:47

People think that using terms such as 'soft, super soft, medium' is confusing people, but commentators saying 'he's using the number one compound which is the hard, he'll be switching to the 2nd compound which is the medium for his last stint' is going to be less confusing.

:confused:

#7 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 20:27

I expect these tyres to be as cheesy as the stuff you see on a pizza or as hard as a cricket ball - it is Pirelli after all.

#8 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 22:30

Who said this new format was complicated?

Pirelli will bring Soft (red), Medium (yellow) and Hard (white) tyres to each Grand Prix, chosen from a reduced range of five options.

C1 - Hard (softer than 2018)
C2 - Medium (slightly softer than 2018)
C3 - Soft (unchanged)
C4 - Ultrasoft (comparable)
C5 - Hypersoft (comparable)

A reminder that thinner thread compounds are being used at every Grand Prix in the 2019 season. Similar compounds were utilised last season in Spain, Silverstone and France.

--

First 2019 races announced

Australia
Medium, Soft, Ultrasoft

Bahrain
Hard, Medium, Soft

China
Medium, Soft, Ultrasoft

Baku
Medium, Soft, Ultrasoft

--

A conservative beginning...

Obviously less complicated than the search function

https://forums.autos...9/#entry8604389

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:59

People think that using terms such as 'soft, super soft, medium' is confusing people, but commentators saying 'he's using the number one compound which is the hard, he'll be switching to the 2nd compound which is the medium for his last stint' is going to be less confusing.

:confused:

They just mention hard - medium - soft. 

#10 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:58

Obviously less complicated than the search function

https://forums.autos...9/#entry8604389

Whoops, sorry! I was wondering how early was early, as it's still 2019.

I'll let the Mods do their stuff.