- - - - -

Nigel Roebuck Retiring?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:34

I read the latest Fifth Column piece with Roebuck and Brundle, as insightful as ever. And then, tagged on at the end, just a little note that it will be the last. Characteristic understatement, but is Roebuck retiring? I grew up with his writing so his work has played a major role in shaping my understanding of, and outlook upon, the sport.

Advertisement

#2 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:00

I hope he's not, as like you I grew up with his "5th Column". But he's no spring chicken any more and has had a stroke. Maybe it's time for him to slow down? He's a lifelong enthusiast so I doubt we've heard the last from him, but he might be retiring his regular column?

#3 chrisbell

chrisbell

• 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:16

As absinthedude says, it's a shame if he has retired, but we'll still have the memories of his writing and insight.  Best wishes to him whatever the case.

#4 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,261 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:31

I hope he writes a tell all book. I would love to know his thoughts on Max Mosley

#5 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 3,928 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:53

One one hand i enjoy his insight and writing but i wont miss him mentioning Alonso and Villeneuve in every damn column! 

#6 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 13:06

There had already been a reduction to one column per month. I'm sure he'll still write the odd thing, especially about past years. Definitely one of F1s better journos, even if he did become a bit of a rose tint wearer in recent years with selective recall. A journo with his heroes and villains among the grid, hammered home in almost every column, with Kevin Magnussen being the surprising choice of a driver that he recently latched on to.

#7 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,098 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 13:18

Definitely one of F1s better journos, even if he did become a bit of a rose tint wearer in recent years with selective recall. A journo with his heroes and villains among the grid, hammered home in almost every column, with Kevin Magnussen being the surprising choice of a driver that he recently latched on to.

I think he had that tendency from his earliest days, when he found it difficult to write a page without mentioning Jean Behra. Like W.F. Bradley, DSJ, Boddy and Setright, he exudes a combination of enthusiasm and personal quirkiness that's immensely enjoyable at the same time as being slightly provocative.

For reporting or analysis I prefer Mark Hughes, but for an entertaining opinion piece then Roebuck is tops.

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,280 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 13:31

Looks like Sterzo and I are 2 peas in a pod.
Jp

#9 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 14:03

Autosport tweeted this morning: "Fans of Nigel Roebuck will still be able to read him every month in F1 Racing Mag in 2019. He will still be an occasional contributor to Autosport as well"

#10 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 15:06

Fantastic, great to know he's not retiring. 

One thing is that I *know* he's going to mention Behra, Gilles and Alonso....so I expect it and it doesn't bother me. And he's lightened up on Mansell in recent years. There are now very few journalists left who have been on the scene anything like as long as NR, and he has a writing style to whiich I warm. 

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,280 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 15:33

Thanks David.
Jp

#12 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,194 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 16:59

Did you guys know that in 1979 at a wet Watkins Glen, Gilles Villeneuve lapped the entire field by a full 24 hours?

Semi-obscure joke aside, I find Nigel's writing quite wonderful; love his articles. How old is he though ?

#13 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:12

Did you guys know that in 1979 at a wet Watkins Glen, Gilles Villeneuve lapped the entire field by a full 24 hours?

Semi-obscure joke aside, I find Nigel's writing quite wonderful; love his articles. How old is he though ?

His name is Nigel. At the very least he can remember Stalin.

#14 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,194 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:28

His name is Nigel. At the very least he can remember Stalin.

If so, I guess then that Murray Walker can remember Catherine the Great and Tony Kanaan can remember Noah.

#15 FLB

FLB

• 29,905 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:39

How old is he though ?

According to what is written in Grand Prix Greats (published in 1985), he was born in 1946. So, 72 years old. And I believe he's written elsewhere he was 25 when Jochen Rindt died, which would fit.

#16 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 17:39

I think he's in his early 70s. Certainly used to be a heavy smoker but I wonder if he has cut down or given up after his scare a few years ago.

#17 Beri

Beri

• 11,670 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 22:56

Artists like Roebuck die in their respective saddles.

#18 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:07

In some 50 years of reading (English) motor sport mags I find Nigel has the easiest flowing prose of all. Wonderful writer, so glad I still have all his Autosport works readily at hand.

#19 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,805 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:07

Always loved reading his stuff and never understood the backlash against him during the latter Schumacher years simply because he wasn't on the hype train. It's weird to think we're not that far away from having no first hand accounts of the start of F1's history.

Advertisement

#20 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:49

I grew up reading Roebuck, so it's a shame he's reducing his output, but I guess even the best can't keep going forever.

His prose is beautiful.

Right down to his frequent, and dramatic, use of the comma. "And the way," he breaks up "quotes for added impact."   

I've quite enjoyed his monthly long reads in Autosport rather than the weekly columns. I do think his best recent work took place at Motorsport Magazine, that seemed like his natural home at this stage in his career.

His Podcast appearances were also great, who knew he was also an amazing mimic of 80s Grand Prix drivers! 

Roebuck's definitely been wearing rose tinted glasses since the early 80s too, which I find quite amusing.

Frequently mentioned topics include (a couple mentioned earlier):

-Villeneuve, love of

-Alonso, love of 

-Amon, love of

-Prost, love of

-Brundle, Christmas lunch with

-Red Bull/Helmut Marko, suspicion of  

-Halo, hate of

-CVC Capital Partners, hate of

-Aero blight, hate of

-DRS, hate of

-Modern F1 technology, weariness of 

This is no criticism of Roebuck, but I feel I've read him so closely down the years that I can sometimes predict what will be coming in the following paragraphs.

A real legend, and one of the few journalists smart enough to stay off social media.

#21 chrisbell

chrisbell

• 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 12:51

In some 50 years of reading (English) motor sport mags I find Nigel has the easiest flowing prose of all. Wonderful writer, so glad I still have all his Autosport works readily at hand.

Absolutely, though my experience is somewhat shorter (around 30 years).

#22 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,280 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 13:21

And those here that read him make better missives because of it.
Jp

#23 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 14:20

I grew up reading Roebuck, so it's a shame he's reducing his output, but I guess even the best can't keep going forever.

His prose is beautiful.

Right down to his frequent, and dramatic, use of the comma. "And the way," he breaks up "quotes for added impact."   

I've quite enjoyed his monthly long reads in Autosport rather than the weekly columns. I do think his best recent work took place at Motorsport Magazine, that seemed like his natural home at this stage in his career.

His Podcast appearances were also great, who knew he was also an amazing mimic of 80s Grand Prix drivers! 

Roebuck's definitely been wearing rose tinted glasses since the early 80s too, which I find quite amusing.

Frequently mentioned topics include (a couple mentioned earlier):

-Villeneuve, love of

-Alonso, love of 

-Amon, love of

-Prost, love of

-Brundle, Christmas lunch with

-Red Bull/Helmut Marko, suspicion of  

-Halo, hate of

-CVC Capital Partners, hate of

-Aero blight, hate of

-DRS, hate of

-Modern F1 technology, weariness of 

This is no criticism of Roebuck, but I feel I've read him so closely down the years that I can sometimes predict what will be coming in the following paragraphs.

A real legend, and one of the few journalists smart enough to stay off social media.

-Stewart, respect for as a driver, if not his later posing

-Behra, love of

-Villeneuve, love of (because this can't be emphasized too many times, as a Roebuck column without it is like a day without sunshine)

:)

Edited by red stick, 24 December 2018 - 14:20.

#24 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 17:33

I'd actually love to read a decent interview with Nigel Roebuck himself, detailing his life and times.

Anyone seen a decent one? 

#25 FLB

FLB

• 29,905 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 18:30

Also smart enough to admit he didn't or doesn't always have the full picture. He did a full 180-degree turn on Riccardo Patrese, for one.

#26 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 22:47

Enjoyed reading the Grand Prix Gold 1982 race reports when they were posted by Autosport. Certainly no lack of material that year. Even in the few dull weekends there's commentary on the state of the sport. Read his race reports in Autoweek going back years

#27 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,805 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:32

I'd actually love to read a decent interview with Nigel Roebuck himself, detailing his life and times.

Anyone seen a decent one? 

No but I do have "Petrol Torque" on VHS and have been meaning to digitize it and put it on Youtube for years. It was an F1 round table chat with motorsport journos on the eve of the 96 season.

#28 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 00:04

No but I do have "Petrol Torque" on VHS and have been meaning to digitize it and put it on Youtube for years. It was an F1 round table chat with motorsport journos on the eve of the 96 season.

A most excellent tip Sir, thanks for alerting me to this excellent series.

One of them has been uploaded here: https://youtu.be/tbGrJDFCG8g

With bonus Richard Williams, Doug Nye and Alain de Cadenet!

#29 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,805 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:34

No worries, think there was an hours worth including ads, might try and get it uploaded over the holidays.

#30 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:52

Certainly a fan of Roebucks work. Basically grew up reading his fifth columns in Autosport. Sure he has his favorites but I think subconsciously everyone does... It's just Nigel is more vocal about it. Particularly with Gilles and Fernando.

Being a JV fan one thing that sticks out is, during the early BAR years, Nigel was quite vocal in his columns/reviews during that period of Jacques there being a 'criminal waste' and praised him regularly for unflinching committment and relentless driving in really poor cars. Certainly not fit for a World Champion. Sound familiar?

I hope he has a piece on JV left in him, along with many others. For myself an icon of the F1 press.

#31 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:44

I'm sure if Roebuck were starting out now he'd choose another career.

Seems like the game of being an F1 reporter is much different these days.

Limited access to drivers, therefore a difficulty forming meaningful relationships.

The need to keep running on the hamster's wheel to generate online content every two minutes.

And the media space with F1 is pretty crowded these days, with so many websites reporting on it.

Still, I'd like to think Roebuck's voice would still shine through if he was starting out, in much the way Mark Hughes does. 

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,280 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 21:11

I’ll bet we see him at the 2019 Indy 500.

Jp