New book regarding 1950's driver Ted Whiteaway

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 270 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:03

Hi all,

I have no involvement with the book's publication or sale, but I'd like to draw attention to this recently-published title on privateer driver Ted Whiteaway. It's a self-published book printed in limited numbers only, put together by Whiteaway's children and former wife, comprising firsthand accounts of racing in the post-war era, at the wheel of cars such as an AC Ace, an HWM single seater, and the Condor. Stories of races, the preparation of cars, and the highs and lows that such undertakings inevitably attract, can all be found in this unique publication, supported by an array of fascinating images (of cars, circuits and transporters!) and the handwritten notes that wife Patricia Whiteaway not only put together at the time, but has to this day and transcribes throughout the book's 96 pages.

Details of the book were uploaded to my site today, I hope that highlighting this very niche book on TNF is ok, if not by all means delete the thread mods.

http://www.oldclassi...d-whiteaway.htm

Rgds, RJ.

Edited by oldclassiccar, 15 January 2019 - 11:03.

Advertisement

#2 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:49

I remember Ted Whiteway and his HWM well from Silverstone and Goodwood and I believe, Crystal Palace, both car and driver always very smartly turned out. That looks an interesting publication and I wish it well.

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 13:56

Very interesting!
Unlike most racing books its actually affordable.
Thanks for the heads up on this.

#4 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,092 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 14:04

The BHW... old AEC buses... the Formula Junior Condors... time travel of the best kind. I wish the book well.

#5 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 19:37

Old friend and ex World War 2 RAF/RAAF flyer, Australian Allan Griffin raced Ted Whiteway's car (HWM, perhaps?) 1950s. AG  returned from Australia to UK perhaps 20 years ago, still lives there, we saw one another  at Phillip Island perhaps 8 years ago, and he should see this book (perhaps appears in it).

#6 cwhiteaway

cwhiteaway

• 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 16:32

Many thanks for all your kind comments about my dad and the book “Ted Whiteaway - One of the Last Private Racing Drivers” which my mum has recently written using her incredible diaries and amazing memories, alongside photographs from our family albums from the most exciting time of their young lives.

Yes, Alan Griffin appears in the book and so do many, many other names.

I’d love to hear directly from anyone who has memories of my dad or perhaps even photographs. Please contact me via my website, which is simply www.catwhiteaway.com .

The book costs £20 and is available directly from me (using the contact section of my website preferably) or via eBay. Payment can be made via PayPal.

There are also some additional images and extra ephemera which have been kindly posted on twitter (@catwhiteaway) that are not in the book.

Looking forward to seeing what events might be organised to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the AC''s historic win at Le Mans in June 1959.

On January 6th my mum and I recently took part in a BBC Radio Wales interview and I was able to surprise her live on air by reuniting her with John Turner, the (95 year old) co-driver from Le Mans.

If you wanted to listen you should be able to via this link https://www.bbc.co.u...rammes/m0001wym

Our section is about 65 minutes into the programme.

Enjoy !

Kind regards,

Cat Whiteaway

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 17:23

Welcome, Cat! As you've already seen, this book is likely to attract some interest from abroad, so can I suggest adding foreign postage rates to your eBay listing? That way it will also appear on the main ebay.com, ebay.com.au etc listings and should reach a wider audience!

Also, did you really mean to include 'best offer'?

#8 cwhiteaway

cwhiteaway

• 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:55

By way of a quick update…

I thought you might like to know that as of today we have distributed 123/200 copies of our lovely book.

We are incredibly proud of the book, and thus far all the feedback has been incredibly positive. People have been so kind that it has made me smile and cry simultaneously ! Other than a few spelling errors of people’s surnames and descriptions of a couple of photos I think its pretty much as perfect as it could be, especially when you consider that it is mostly taken from my mum’s memories of 60+ years ago!

My mum & the book have now featured in local newspapers, completed two live radio interviews for the BBC and also a short film for BBC Spotlight, which included some wonderful footage of Le Mans.

But it’s also on Facebook courtesy of Darren Banks  https://www.facebook...592736280829005

My mum and I are both looking forward to attending the ACOC annual dinner and prize giving in early March and also to learning what events might be planned around the 60th anniversary of the AC's incredible achievements at Le Mans in June 1959.

I also hope to attend a few other events during the year ahead and perhaps try to get the book sold in some of the gift shops and museums around the country, if there are any left by then !!

Regards,

Cat Whiteaway