- - - - -

The top 10 most iconic racetracks

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:00

Was watching the Bathurst 12 hrs and there was an interview with Mick Doohan where he said that Bathurst was Australia's Nurburgring and is up there with the most Iconic tracks in the world. Which got me thinking what are the top ten most iconic Motorsports venues in the world? Four I think write themselves as they are known for various reasons world wide the other six are a bit more up in the air. These aren't by any means the best tracks in fact in my 10 there are two ovals which acknowledging their racing challenges aren't exactly the most challenging to drive on your own. However these I think are the ones that are best known by everyone including non motorsport fans. I'll give a case for each

1. Monaco. Literally everyone has heard of the Monaco GP. even people that I know that don't know one end of a car from another. Probably more people know about it that know Monaco is an actual country.

2. Le Mans. See above the 24hrs is up there as one of the best known races in the world. Has been used in advertising more than any track i can think of.

3. Nurburgring. Is a car testing paradise so has half the salesman in the world going it was good round the ring. probably less known for actual racing these days weirdly big in racing games too.

4. Indianapolis. because of the 500 obviously and being part of the triple crown. Well known among my non motor racing friends.

5. Spa

6, Monza

7. Silverstone group these three together because of the longevity in F1. Would probably think its this order too as Spa has other events that are well known plus is a racing game mainstay , Monza has ferrari. so. Silverstone is definitely the best known here but thats just the UK 

8. Daytona  certainly among our American friends its probably better known than Indy now (shock! I was in Indianapolis for the 500 a few years ago and some people in the pubs thought i was going to see the Pacers when I talked about the big event that weekend ummm well they were in the playoffs I guess...) It also has the 24 hrs as well as the obvious Nascar plus some hollywood movies for the casuals.

Now it gets difficult I would probably say Bathurst and Suzuka but as fantastic as those tracks are (and macau too) are they known to the casuals?? Bathurst probably not unless they have played it in a game cos its damn difficult and sticks in your head, Macau definately not Suzuka maybe thanks to its F1 longevity and iconic moments so I'll make that no 9 

10. I'll leave it to you :)

before you go all f1 centric ask a mate that doesn't follow F1 to name F1 tracks and see the results. Austin is not better known than Indy or Daytona trust me...

Advertisement

#2 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:31

Speaking as an Australian I'll go alone with Doohan and assure you that here at least Bathurst is number 1 on the list by a very long way. I'd go as far as saying that for many equate motor racing with Bathurst and that the average man in the street has never heard of Indianapolis, Suzuka, Spa, Monza, Le Mans etc.

s-l640.png

Edited by RacingGreen, 03 February 2019 - 07:33.

#3 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:34

1. Estoril
2. The Beijing A1GP circuit
3. Detroit
4. Yeongam
5. Aintree
6. Birmingham
7. Nivelles
8. Zeltweg Airfield
9. Abu Dhabi
10. Caesar’s Palace

#4 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:03

TC, your list is good. I would take out Silverstone, since the track has lost a lot of its character and identity and add possibly Interlagos in there. Suzuka and Bathurst definitely belong as well. 

#5 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:22

1. Nurburgring
2. Le Mans
3. Indianapolis
4. Monaco
5. Spa
6. Monza
7. Silverstone
8. Daytona
9. Bathurst
10. Suzuka!

#6 MattK9

MattK9

• 818 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:34

From the OP list I would remove Daytona & Monza.

I would say that Mugello and Assen are two iconic circuits on the MotoGP calendar.

Also isle of man mountain course is iconic.

And rude not to mention Macau.

Ah.. this is hard...

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,522 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:43

I'd never be able to put a list like this into a particular order, but I'd put forward the following.

Monza

Indianapolis

Le Mans

Daytona

Silverstone

Spa-Francorchamps

Bathurst

Nurburgring

Monte Carlo

Suzuka

Honorable mentions for Laguna Seca, Sebring, Interlagos, Assen, Macau and now defunct or less high profile circuits such as Brooklands, Reims, Rouen, AVUS, Portrero de los Funes, Donington Park.

#8 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,257 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:50

If you add bike racing, Isle of Man TT Course belongs to the list.

#9 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:53

Maybe "Paris Dakar" somewhere in the list?

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,522 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:54

Maybe "Paris Dakar" somewhere in the list?

Where the world is your racetrack I suppose?

#11 FordFiesta

FordFiesta

• 224 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:03

Yes, it's more like iconic races instead of iconic racetracks... So, "Paris Dakar" doesn't belong here.

#12 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:28

From the OP list I would remove Daytona & Monza.

I would say that Mugello and Assen are two iconic circuits on the MotoGP calendar.

Also isle of man mountain course is iconic.

And rude not to mention Macau.

Ah.. this is hard...

I'd throw in Phillip Island for MotoGP as well

#13 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:32

s-l640.png

This is one of those times where they have in really tiny lettering 'image not representative of actual game play"

Edited by krapmeister, 03 February 2019 - 10:32.

#14 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:41

I'd never be able to put a list like this into a particular order, but I'd put forward the following.

Monza
Indianapolis
Le Mans
Daytona
Silverstone
Spa-Francorchamps
Bathurst
Nurburgring
Monte Carlo
Suzuka

Honorable mentions for Laguna Seca, Sebring, Interlagos, Assen, Macau and now defunct or less high profile circuits such as Brooklands, Reims, Rouen, AVUS, Portrero de los Funes, Donington Park.

Nice list, would add Imola as honorable mention, but that would pretty much be my list too.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 03 February 2019 - 10:43.

#15 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:44

IMO there are probably only 4 tracks that are 'iconic' enough to be pretty much known worldwide (and not just by people who are motor racing fans):

Indianapolis, Le Mans, Monte Carlo, Nurburgring.

Then depending on what country you are in you could probably add Daytona, Bathurst, Suzuka, Silverstone etc.

Edited by krapmeister, 03 February 2019 - 10:47.

#16 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:55

I would add Laguna Seca, the Isle of Man and Pikes Peak to the list of the undisputed top four. 

Brands Hatch is pretty iconic, at least to many British people. 

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:58

I'd go with that original 10.  Maybe the Little Madonie circuit because that was used for the Targa for so long and that was the last of the great road races.

#18 azza200

azza200

• 1,002 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:01

Daytona

Sebring

Bathurst

Spa 

Nurburgring 

Monaco

Indianapolis

Monza

Brands Hatch

Le Mans

#19 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,661 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:05

Agree with PAYR re Reims and Rouen. Would add Montjuic. And Crystal Palace. And Cadwell Park.  

Gibson has nailed it though. Caesar's Palace, Zeltweg Airfield, Nivelles.....  :up:

Advertisement

#20 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:35

My list based not only on the venues themselves and their history, but the racing they provide to us the fans.

Nordschleife

Spa

Cadwell Park

Monza

old Hockenheim

Mosport

Mount Panarama

old Zandvoort

Brands Hatch until last year when it was ruined.

Osterreichring.

#21 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 13:00

Not sure what the criteria are, but here are the circuits where I shall hold the World Championship when I rule the world. (Won't be long).

1. Nurburgring (Nordschleife)

2. Spa Francorchamps

3. Clermont Ferrand (full circuit)

4. Monaco

5. Suzuka

6. Brands Hatch

7. Pescara (might need some work to revive)

8. Dijon

9. Laguna Seca

10. Interlagos

#22 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 13:04

Also Brooklands, of course. 

#23 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,661 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 13:59

Sterzo...Clermont Ferrand....of course. Nearly killed myself, wife and in-laws there looking for the racing line. :(   But a great circuit!  :love:

#24 ForzaSurtees

ForzaSurtees

• 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 14:16

Permanent Circuits
1. Le Msns
2. Indianapolis
3. Monza
4. Spa-Francorchamps
5. Nurburgring
6. Silverstone
7. Assen
8. Interlagos
9. Suzuka
10. Daytona

Others: Buenos Aires/Brno/Jerez/Mexico City/Spielberg

Street Circuits
1. Monte Carlo
2. Isle of Man
3. Bathurst (is it a street circuit?)
4. Macau
5. Montreal

Edited by ForzaSurtees, 03 February 2019 - 14:26.

#25 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,655 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 14:23

Sterzo...Clermont Ferrand....of course. Nearly killed myself, wife and in-laws there looking for the racing line. :( But a great circuit! :love:

A top 10 without Clermont Ferrand is just a charade.

#26 messy

messy

• 7,495 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 14:35

I think the lists are/would be totally different for racing enthusiasts and the wider population.

For me;

1. Nurburgring Nordschleife
2. Le Mans Circuit De La Sarthe
3. Snaefell Mountain Circuit
4. Monaco
5. Indianapolis
6. Spa-Francorchamps
7. Monza
8. Bathurst
9. Suzuka
10. Hockenheim

Wider list;

1. Monaco
2. Silverstone
3. Indianapolis
4. Le Mans
5. Nordschleife
6. Spa
7. Brands Hatch
8. Etc

Edited by messy, 03 February 2019 - 14:35.

#27 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 15:23

Also Brooklands, of course. 

I think only in Britain.  It was a dead-end motorsport-wise.  Didn't influence any tracks, the way meetings were run had no influence on motor sports worldwide, created a whole bunch of specials that were more suited to the Land Speed Record than racing anywhere but Brooklands. 

Its only legacies are the terms clerk of the course and paddock.

#28 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 15:47

1. Green Hell, aka (Nordschleife)
2. Monza
3. Le Mans
4. Montreal
5. Spa
6. Suzuka
7. Daytona
8. Interlagos

9. Monaco
10. Brands Hatch

if we include bikes then surely the IoMTT would be in the top 2-3 for sure.

#29 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,073 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 17:02

A top 10 without Clermont Ferrand is just a charade.

Ouch.

#30 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 17:34

I think only in Britain.  It was a dead-end motorsport-wise.  Didn't influence any tracks, the way meetings were run had no influence on motor sports worldwide, created a whole bunch of specials that were more suited to the Land Speed Record than racing anywhere but Brooklands. 

Its only legacies are the terms clerk of the course and paddock.

The first purpose built motor racing circuit  ?

#31 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,927 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 17:34

There was a question about Monza in "The Chase" the other day so that should probably elevate it in most lists.

#32 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 17:41

The first purpose built motor racing circuit  ?

It was really the first concrete horse racing circuit...

It had no influence on anything that followed.  Purpose-built circuits were either based on the Monza model or on the American oval model, which in turn was the trotting/cycling oval model.    Even Miramas/Montlhéry were more American than Brooklands.

Perhaps most importantly, it doesn't exist any more.  Not in toto anyway.

#33 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,704 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 18:29

I'm actually a bit surprised to see Suzuka in so many lists. I mean, it's a good track and I'd say better than a lot of the "iconic" ones, but I don't think it has any real existence outside us fanboys.

#34 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 22:26

1. Nurburgring
2. Le Mans 
3. Monza

4. Monaco
5. Indianapolis

6. Isle of Man

7. Spa-Francorchamps

8. Daytona

9. Interlagos
10. Suzuka

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 22:34

Since this is the most iconic, not the tracks we like best, I'd say something like:

1. Nurburgring
2. Le Mans
3. Indianapolis
4. Daytona
5. Monaco
6. Isle of Man
7. Spa-Francorchamps
8. Monza
9. Bathurst
10. Assen

I'm pretty confident on the first 9 whichever the order, but #10 was the trickiest, I reckon it's right about a tie between Assen (motorcycling tradition), Silverstone (longevity in F1), Sebring (endurance tradition), Interlagos and Suzuka (2 of the most popular F1 tracks, more so than Silverstone, also with some tradition), maybe Macau (the F3 race), Laguna Seca (hugely well known thanks to MotoGP, Indycar, the Corkscrew and seemingly featuring in every racing videogame and sim ever).

Edited by noikeee, 03 February 2019 - 22:35.

#36 azza200

azza200

• 1,002 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 00:57

Watkins Glen

Fuji (pre tilkedrome) 

Adelaide was iconic for a time 

Road America

Long Beach

America does have a high amount of tracks which still are the same after all these year's, Sure some have had safety upgrades etc but they still have kept the same character to them unlike a lot of european tracks which have been butchered. Once challenging comers sanitized for safety, while in the States very little of that has happened over the year's some tracks have had that done to them but no where near the extent to various tracks in Europe.

#37 BMWTeamBigazzi

BMWTeamBigazzi

• 226 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:02

For me, in no particular order

Nurburgring Nordschleife 

Le Mans

Bathurst

Spa

Macau

Montlhery

Reims

Daytona

Indianapolis

Suzuka

#38 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,704 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:24

In no particular order:

Monaco
Monza
Silverstone
Nurburgring
Spa
Le Mans
Indianapolis
Daytona
Isle of Man
Bathurst

I didn't put Suzuka because of what I said above and I only put Bathurst because I was struggling for a 10th, as I'm not sure how much overall resonance a track gets just for being the main track for a national touring car championship.

#39 MattK9

MattK9

• 818 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:17

I'm actually a bit surprised to see Suzuka in so many lists. I mean, it's a good track and I'd say better than a lot of the "iconic" ones, but I don't think it has any real existence outside us fanboys.

It seems to get talked about a lot that there are 5 classic F1 races. Monza, Silverstone, Monaco, Spa & Suzuka. Whenever F1 goes to one of these circuits this opinion seems to be talked about by the media as fact rather than opinion.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,522 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:37

I think Suzuka can be justified by its (almost) unique figure of eight layout and the fact that it has seen so many championship deciders in formula 1. Think Senna/Prost, Damon Hill, Schumacher/Häkkinen and so on and Suzuka should come to mind.

#41 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:20

In no particular order:

Monaco
Monza
Silverstone
Nurburgring
Spa
Le Mans
Indianapolis
Daytona
Isle of Man
Bathurst

I didn't put Suzuka because of what I said above and I only put Bathurst because I was struggling for a 10th, as I'm not sure how much overall resonance a track gets just for being the main track for a national touring car championship.

To be honest you could argue that Daytona is well known because it is the main track of the domestic NASCAR championship...

#42 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,804 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:29

1- Le Mans

2- Monaco

3- Nurburgring

4- Silverstone

5- Indianapolis

6- Spa

7- Monza

8- Isle of Man

9- Clemond Ferrand

10- Suzuka

#43 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:36

To be honest with ourselves outside a very small racing community I doubt many people have heard of most of the circuits mentioned but as I've said here in Australia Bathurst is synonomous with motor racing. Last weekends 12hr race for example was screened live free to air in it's entirety. Using that and the Intercontinental GT Challenge  as a basis we have 5 tracks this year, the first four (Mount Panaroma - Bathurst, Laguna Seca Raceway, Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps and Suzuka) are all good candidates for iconic status as was the old Kyalami.

I would add to those four (in no particular order) Monaco (probabily the most instantly recognisable circuit and glamourous), Indianapolis (I believe the best attended), The Isle of Man TT (if that counts as a track), Nurburgring Nordschleife, Le Mans, and I asked my wife to name circuit at random and the five I've highlighted and then came up with Silverstone (which she told me was important because it was the oldest track in the world and I had to correct her!)

#44 Beri

Beri

• 11,649 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:47

In no particular order:

Spa Francorchamps
Nordschleife
Indianapolis
Circuit de la Sarthe
Mount Panorama
Potrero de los Funes Circuit
Clemond Ferrand
Silverstone
Monte Carlo
Monza

#45 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,704 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 13:23

I think Suzuka can be justified by its (almost) unique figure of eight layout and the fact that it has seen so many championship deciders in formula 1. Think Senna/Prost, Damon Hill, Schumacher/Häkkinen and so on and Suzuka should come to mind.

Fair point - I suppose I still see it as fairly "new" as it only came to F1 in 1987, even though that's over 30 years ago now! So for my list it could be a toss-up between Suzuka and Bathurst.

#46 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 13:27

Suzuka
Spa
Nurburgring
Monza
Indianapolis
Bathurst
Assen
Phillip Island
Le Mans
Silverstone

Edited by Atreiu, 04 February 2019 - 13:28.

#47 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:02

It was really the first concrete horse racing circuit...

It had no influence on anything that followed.  Purpose-built circuits were either based on the Monza model or on the American oval model, which in turn was the trotting/cycling oval model.    Even Miramas/Montlhéry were more American than Brooklands.

Perhaps most importantly, it doesn't exist any more.  Not in toto anyway.

If Brooklands had no influence on anything that followed.....please explain how Indianapolis Motor Speedway came to be built as a banked oval after the guy who began the process visited Brooklands and several French race venues...and only after his visit decided IMS should be a banked oval? Before Brooklands there was no purpose built motor circuit. The concept didn't really exist. The fact that the track is now incomplete is more down to wartime necessity and greedy developers than anything else. What's left is preserved as a "historic monument". The place itself is terrifying even today, the extant Members banking too steep to climb...the extant Byfleet banking still looks awesomely quick. 

I'd thoroughly agree that in many ways Brooklands was a design dead end and spawned some awesome but otherwise useless machinery. A car optimised for Brooklands really wasn't much use elsewhere except possibly Avus or a speed record.  But without Brooklands there would have been no IMS, therefore no Monza, no Monthlery etc. 

Brooklands also gave us the concepts of the clerk of the course and paddock as we know them today in motor racing, it gave us electronic timing. I think it also gave us the concept of a car carrying a racing number? Yes also many dead ends but to say it had no influence and is not important as an iconic race track is....in my opinion....incorrect. 

#48 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:10

They had banked velodromes for at least 30 years before Brooklands, and given the cross-over from cycling to motor racing I'd be surprised had that not been an influence

The cars had racing numbers from day one.  Literally.  Brooklands had the concept of not bothering with numbers, and having the drivers wear jockey silks.  It didn't take long to suss that that didn't work.  Brooklands therefore ordered cars to bear a black disc dorsal fin for numbering purposes.

#49 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:21

Silks and numbers notwithstanding, it is a matter of recorded fact that Mr. Fisher decided on building a banked oval near Indianapolis after visiting Brooklands. He stated that seeing French racing on streets in 1905 and Brooklands in 1907 convinced him to build a banked oval. In the opinion of the gentleman who was most responsible for the designing and building of IMS....Brooklands was his biggest influence. Brooklands begat IMS? Even if that is taking things too far, to suggest that Brooklands had no influence or lasting legacy seems.....less than factual?

#50 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:22

Silks and numbers notwithstanding, it is a matter of recorded fact that Mr. Fisher decided on building a banked oval near Indianapolis after visiting Brooklands. He stated that seeing French racing on streets in 1905 and Brooklands in 1907 convinced him to build a banked oval. In the opinion of the gentleman who was most responsible for the designing and building of IMS....Brooklands was his biggest influence. Brooklands begat IMS? Even if that is taking things too far, to suggest that Brooklands had no influence or lasting legacy seems.....less than factual?