• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 21:27

Interesting news.

Will it happen? What will the track look like? Why do they have to hold it on public roads? Is this really any different from that race in Indianapolis that the riders hated? Is the author of the Autosport article really called Scheherazade? So many questions.

Advertisement

#2 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,087 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:04

Will it happen? I hope not. If it really is a street circuit then it will increase the injury rate, which is one boost MotoGP doesn't need.

#3 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:16

Sounds more like a purpose-built circuit that will also be used as roads.  

#4 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 00:08

Given what a fuss the riders have made about the Red Bull Ring (saying it feels like a street circuit), I wonder what reaction an actual street circuit will get?

#5 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,235 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 00:08

Are we talking street circuit in the ‘original Spa Francorchamps’ sense or in the ‘Belle Isle’ sense?

#6 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:13

Why not use the world class Sentul circuit?  :confused:

#7 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:42

Living next to Lombok (Bali), I can't see this happening.
The article says a French company will build the roads and paddock.
Usually the Indonesian government refuses close to all foreign involvement in projects. And local Lombok government even refused foreign aid last year after the disaster (earthquake and tsunami).
The island is still a mess. Important infrastructure is still not rebuild. Many people's houses are still not rebuild. (Mosques are though!)
It will be nearly impossible to host an event this big on this heavily damaged island with such a unwilling government and powerfull religious leaders.
Everything takes lots of time in Indonesia, even much more when foreigners are involved.
I predict that after the French money comes in, some people will fill their pockets and the whole project will die a silent death.

#8 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:55

Street race in Indonesia lol. I love the place and it's good fun on a scooter but ahhh moto gp I'm not so sure...

#9 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:58

Living next to Lombok (Bali), I can't see this happening.
The article says a French company will build the roads and paddock.
Usually the Indonesian government refuses close to all foreign involvement in projects. And local Lombok government even refused foreign aid last year after the disaster (earthquake and tsunami).
The island is still a mess. Important infrastructure is still not rebuild. Many people's houses are still not rebuild. (Mosques are though!)
It will be nearly impossible to host an event this big on this heavily damaged island with such a unwilling government and powerfull religious leaders.
Everything takes lots of time in Indonesia, even much more when foreigners are involved.
I predict that after the French money comes in, some people will fill their pockets and the whole project will die a silent death.

Wait, they want to do it in Lombok!?!!! I couldn't read the full article because of paywall.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard if true. I set up a website for a doctor and nurse doing trauma relief after the quake and was told all about the aid refusal (which cost a lot of people their lives).

#10 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:29

Wait, they want to do it in Lombok!?!!! I couldn't read the full article because of paywall.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard if true. I set up a website for a doctor and nurse doing trauma relief after the quake and was told all about the aid refusal (which cost a lot of people their lives).

According to the article yes. But I did some more reading at the internet (not sure if reliable!!) and the (southern) Lombok area they aim at seems to have already big development plans for a giant tourist resort with lots of hotels, golf courses. The wiki page also mentions indeed the plans for a MotoGP(road) track. Everything should, according to the wiki page, being developed in coöperation with a French company.
I still don't see it happening and for sure the local population will not benefit at all.
If anything they will lose a large area of their most profitable (touristic) part of the island.
But many if this kind of plans pop up here and disappear over time due to unwillingness of local and federal government.

#11 Peat

Peat

• 8,867 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:49

Coffee-spitting headline of the day.

#12 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:56

I must admit, I looked twice or thrice at the headline before accepting that I had read it correctly.

#13 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:29

According to the article yes. But I did some more reading at the internet (not sure if reliable!!) and the (southern) Lombok area they aim at seems to have already big development plans for a giant tourist resort with lots of hotels, golf courses. The wiki page also mentions indeed the plans for a MotoGP(road) track. Everything should, according to the wiki page, being developed in coöperation with a French company.
I still don't see it happening and for sure the local population will not benefit at all.
If anything they will lose a large area of their most profitable (touristic) part of the island.
But many if this kind of plans pop up here and disappear over time due to unwillingness of local and federal government.

Well I think there's plenty of room there and not sure why it wouldn't help the locals who are some of the poorest in indo, especially in the north. I still don't see it happening though, kinda laughable.

#14 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:51

Are we talking street circuit in the ‘original Spa Francorchamps’ sense or in the ‘Belle Isle’ sense?

Going by the quote "The street circuit will be built from zero, unlike the tracks in Singapore and Monaco," in the article, I’m expecting something more like in the Sochi sense.

#15 Frood

Frood

• 9,296 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:56

Going by the quote "The street circuit will be built from zero, unlike the tracks in Singapore and Monaco," in the article, I’m expecting something more like in the Sochi sense.

Or even better, the Yeongam sense. That was supposed to be a “street” track too.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:58

In a sense, every bit of road of every circuit is a street. It might be a slightly odd shaped street, but I guess it's a road that goes somewhere, like the pits building...

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,554 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 13:03

Not quite noikee. A street is a public road in a city or town. Most circuits are neither public nor in a city or town.

#18 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 13:23

Yay?

#19 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:13

You can have street races without them being like Monaco, Melbourne is one good example most of that has decent runoff.

The problems occur when riders fall off in unlikely places.  Imagine Montreal, that would be an awful place to have a street bike race.

It WILL happen because the market in that country is splattered all over the factory Honda's and Yamaha's to some extent, so it will happen.

But maybe not at a street venue, unless it is made safe so that riders can fall off anywhere and not hit fences, walls or guardrails,

If that does not happen then DOrna will have unsurprisingly sold their soul toe the devil for the dollar that Indonesia will pay to have a race.

Advertisement

#20 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,759 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:53

There is no way MotoGP can actually race on a real street circuit. I don't pretend to understand Indonesian politics, but the cynic in me wonders if in calling it a 'street circuit', that  public money can then get allocated towards it. 

#21 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 15:12

The term "Street" is bollocks. Moto GP riders will strike.

#22 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 15:46

The Lombok island will be destroyed by the commercial effect. 

#23 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 15:51

Well I think there's plenty of room there and not sure why it wouldn't help the locals who are some of the poorest in indo, especially in the north. I still don't see it happening though, kinda laughable.

It won't help the locals because the track is (if it would happen) going to be build in a (yet to develop) closed resort area which would be under control of major foreign companies.

Edited by Raikkinen, 22 February 2019 - 15:53.

#24 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 22:59

It won't help the locals because the track is (if it would happen) going to be build in a (yet to develop) closed resort area which would be under control of major foreign companies.

Jobs

#25 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 23:00

There is no way MotoGP can actually race on a real street circuit. I don't pretend to understand Indonesian politics, but the cynic in me wonders if in calling it a 'street circuit', that public money can then get allocated towards it.

I don't think they need to be that crafty, they do what they want - money talks.

#26 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 184 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:04

Jobs

For nearly any job where you need more skills than fishing they bring workers over from Java. And they bring their own assistants for the lower labor. Sad but true.

#27 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:16

For nearly any job where you need more skills than fishing they bring workers over from Java. And they bring their own assistants for the lower labor. Sad but true.

True :(