Photo
- - - - -

Live testing coverage - yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: We need a poll, right? (96 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you enjoy the live testing coverage? Would you like to see it again next year?

1. Yes (81 votes [84.38%])

Percentage of vote: 84.38%

2. No (10 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

3. Undecided / It's complicated (5 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:20

Some fans wanted to see that for years, and now it finally happened. Those of us with F1TV subscribtion or access to Sky F1 had the opportunity to watch the live coverage of F1 testing for the first time. But was it actually worth it? Let's hear your opinions. Of course a lot of it depends on the execution that we've seen in the past four days, but I'd like to steer the discussion more towards the idea itself - did it prove to be interesting enough or was it the boring proof that it's not such a good idea in practice? 

As for myself, I really enjoyed it. I had it running in the background for more than half of its air time over all four days, tuning in with more attention from time to time and in that capacity I think it worked very nicely. I feel like it found a nice balance between some actual insight and relaxed, more informal atmosphere than we usually see in F1. Will definitely hope that it generated enough interest so that we'll see it again next year. 

Advertisement

#2 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,626 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:24

I didnt have much time to follow it but i would prefer it if there were a lot more onboards posted up on youtube etc and the timeing information was a bit better so stints could be captured easier.

Pundits using it for a free holiday and tall absolute shite doesnt bother me. I mean the more coverage the better but f1 journalism is a joke and they literally all try and justify being there by talking crap. The better analysis is usually done by the likes of Scarbs and preistly on youtube.

I like seeing the cars and analysis but having pundits talking live on tv is pointless.

Just feed me good quality timing and have regular onboards and laps put on on youtube whiles its unfolding and ill listen to the analysis and tech analysis afterwards.

I seriously never want to hear buxton in my ears ever again

Saying this ill probably be ill next year and it wont be on

Edited by w1Y, 21 February 2019 - 22:32.

#3 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,922 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:27

Literally haven’t watched a minute of it on Sky. I thought they’d run highlights in the evening when those who work in the day (when it’s on) would be home to watch... but no, they were running re-runs of last years races.

Waste of time. Brundle and Ted have stayed at home... Crofty + his usual ‘bantz crew’ don’t offer much insight you can’t glean from the web these days.

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:28

100% yay
Bonus points for live timing

Negative points for no live tyre info

I wish live timing was replayable, that would be a great help. Such a simple and quick fix on the YouTube stream.

#5 JavierDeVivre

JavierDeVivre

• 1,292 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:38

Watched (whilst working) virtually all of Monday afternoon as I was working from home.

After that I decide it was not worth watching so didn't bother recording the other 3 days as planned.

The round up programme was disappointing. I was not one of the people that wanted testing to be televised because I knew ot wouldn't be that interesting.

Sky Sports' coverage from previois years was an improvement over this.

#6 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,922 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:39

Watched (whilst working) virtually all of Monday afternoon as I was working from home.

After that I decide it was not worth watching so didn't bother recording the other 3 days as planned.

The round up programme was disappointing. I was not one of the people that wanted testing to be televised because I knew ot wouldn't be that interesting.

Sky Sports' coverage from previois years was an improvement over this.

Sky don’t really need to bother trying any more do they... exclusive coverage for the next 5 years or so. And then everyone will jump to whatever streaming platform f1 has hopefully perfected by then.

If f1 is still a thing.

#7 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:42

Yay because why not? It wasn’t the most exciting form of entertainment but it was way better than just the live timing. Not sure why anyone would be against having this tbh.

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 22:53

Had it on in the background while designing this wacky Son et Lumiere for July. I like Will Buxton and I like Karun so the sounds and pictures are a nice periphery.

Kinda like ASMR.
Jp

#9 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:13

I kept a closer eye on live timing in the last years than watch the stream. I really liked it tho, but commentators were talking a lot of crap and ignore pretty much the live picture unless something happened (someone spun off etc). So I would rather hear comments on what they see.

#10 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:14

Very nice to have for hardcore fans with lots of time on their hands. 

I don't even watch the free practice sessions during the season, so I'm not the target audience (I love competitive sports, but when there's nothing to play for, I can't be bothered).

It was nice to get a first look at the new cars.

#11 pdac

pdac

• 17,293 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:20

I'm sure there will be live testing coverage next year if they conclude that it was a success this year. But nobody is going to pay the costs if the audience is too small to justify them.

Edited by pdac, 21 February 2019 - 23:21.

#12 davidlan

davidlan

• 461 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:21

Well its a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Dave

#13 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,319 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:24

No. Its horrible. Ban the TV cameras, ban the photographers, ban the journalists. My swing-o-meter can't take anymore.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:30

Testing is a good day out if you can attend, but was always going to be a waste of time broadcasting.

#15 vlado

vlado

• 4,060 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:38

Love it

#16 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 23:48

Did you enjoy the live testing coverage?

No, because I didn't watch it.

But it's great that it's there for those that do want to see what's going on.

Had this been on in, say, 2001, I'd have been all over it.

Edited by Nonesuch, 21 February 2019 - 23:48.

#17 Grippy

Grippy

• 431 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 00:05

I voted 'yes' although I don't have coverage, as it's fun reading forumers' comments.

It would be useful if it was also used as practice for camera crews and directors.

#18 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 00:17

Absolutely Yay. Sky had it on once before but just for one year. Recall that it was on the 3d channel.

#19 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:46

It was great. This more relaxed approach by the commentators and the reporters made it enjoyable, it was great to listen their banter while at work.

Advertisement

#20 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:15

Overall yes, but many of the behaviours we saw on this forum are why we have trump in the White House and Britain leaving the eu.

I wonder how many viewers sky had for this?

#21 messy

messy

• 7,499 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:25

I've really enjoyed it, particularly given that it's coincided with half-term so I've been able to have it on while doing the list of jobs my wife has given me each day. Nice background, making me feel immersed in F1 for the first time in a while, to be honest. Have also enjoyed hearing people other than "Crofty" in the commentary box. Unfortunately I'm back at work next week so won't have as much access to the second one.

#22 Peat

Peat

• 8,867 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:46

I didn't watch a moment of it - i'm at work when it's on and my evenings are too precious. The F1 YT highlights were fine. 

Where I did directly benefit though, was that any incidents or developments were quickly and widely tweeted, so i felt like I was following it by proxy. 

:up: 

#23 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:55

Of course yay. I've wanted this for years and it was always on in the background for me. There's always scope for improvements - more car analyses, more trackside coverage by ex F1 guys like Chandhok, less random commentary - but the live coverage itself was valuable for me. Thank you Liberty!

#24 rjsports

rjsports

• 573 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:13

Decided to bite the bullet and purchase the F1TV subscription and I really enjoyed following the coverage this week. The commentating was a bit meh, but it's understandable when you're just watching cars go round and times mean nothing. Alex Jacques was a nice surprise, he's a bit shouty when doing F2 but he knows a lot about F1. Unfortunately Will Buxton thought this was a good time to try and be like David Croft, which is something no one should aim for. But overall I thought it was great to be able to watch it like this.

#25 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:15

Literally haven’t watched a minute of it on Sky. I thought they’d run highlights in the evening when those who work in the day (when it’s on) would be home to watch... but no, they were running re-runs of last years races.

Waste of time. Brundle and Ted have stayed at home... Crofty + his usual ‘bantz crew’ don’t offer much insight you can’t glean from the web these days.

No Ted? 

Pffft.

#26 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,871 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:16

I didnt watch it. But each to their own.

#27 alonstar

alonstar

• 230 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:51

Buxton was so cringy...

Edited by alonstar, 22 February 2019 - 11:52.

#28 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:52

Highlights only for me. 

#29 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:52

Coverage yes, but my word, the guys in the comms box were just horrible.

Not sure what can be done on that though, as there isn't anything to actually commentate on.

Mute?

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 22 February 2019 - 11:52.

#30 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:55

Personally I loved it. Much better than periscope streams quality production wise. I just wish commentators were muted. And that's one thing I miss from periscope streams.  :lol:  

#31 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 769 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:59

I'm in the yay camp. Did I enjoy it? no.. not really, but I certainly enjoy it more than nothing!

#32 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 13:13

I voted yes, yay that it's there but no, didn't watch it live. At the risk of stepping into a crisis of not enjoying F1 completely. it's just cars going round and round for hours on end. And though the stakes are ultimately hugely high, at this stage it's also very hard to discern from the cheap seats.

Also no-one kept breaking down catastrophically which traditionally has livened up testing.

#33 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,253 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 13:19

why does one want to ask if it should be broadcasted? 

Show it, please, if it were important event, if not, not.

#34 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 5,621 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 13:58

I really enjoyed it. I work from home a lot so I had it on in the background and every now and again I'd check in. I was a bit like cricket, you can watch for 5 days, have no idea who is ahead but it doesn't matter as the sun is shining and you've got beer. I got excited every time a Williams came out :D

I actually found myself laughing at the commentators, not sure if that's a good thing or not though... :confused:

Edited by sgtkate, 22 February 2019 - 13:59.

#35 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:02

I voted yes, yay that it's there but no, didn't watch it live. At the risk of stepping into a crisis of not enjoying F1 completely. it's just cars going round and round for hours on end. And though the stakes are ultimately hugely high, at this stage it's also very hard to discern from the cheap seats.

Also no-one kept breaking down catastrophically which traditionally has livened up testing.

It was boring in that sense that cars didn’t break down. I watched it because I was interested in the Honda engine and so from that angle I liked it a lot but it’s easy to get bored watching a Mercedes doing pretty boring long runs with no banzai laps :lol:

#36 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:07

It was fantastic - and also meant that we could see for ourselves what tyres everyone was on :)

#37 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:07

You only have to be on here for a day to realise the predominant answer would be yes.

Sadly, that is why f1 will continue towards more and more pay tv marketing.

The precedent you set is alarming

#38 azza200

azza200

• 1,005 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:53

F1 was fine before without live testing all this hype of live testing but behind a paywall is all meh. Does not justify getting Sky because of it

#39 RichardF1fan

RichardF1fan

• 405 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 16:41

I enjoyed it - but had to turn the sound off.

I enjoyed watching the cars on track - but it would seem the commentators weren't bothering to watch the cars and were too busy chatting about rubbish. They just needed one person to talk about  the cars in shot  about how they were handling the corners etc, not a general chat about how great they all are. If they hadn't got anything worth saying they should shut up.

You don't need a commentator - that's if you cant see the track, you need someone who knows about the mechanics of the cars - this is going to be watched by people who are interested in how the car is handling, times thru speed traps , drop off on stints etc, 

Advertisement

#40 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 16:46

As I've written elsewhere, it's a nay for me. I'm happy with Autosport's live text commentary and summary videos, but don't feel it merits hours of live TV coverage for something that is inherently rather boring. I have no intention in forking out money to hear pundits prattle on for hours while a limited number of cars record pretty meaningless lap times in isolation.

As an aside, I do kind of miss the days of when testing wasn't so deeply scrutinised. All the data from this week and next will be poured over and analysed by the media, to the point that prior to Melbourne we'll have a pretty accurate idea of who's where. It's a bit like taking a peak at your presents prior to Christmas day, there's no surprise in the result when you know in advance of how things will be. These group tests make journalists' life easier, but greatly reduce a lot of the intrigue before the first race for us fans.

But to each their own, I guess.

Edited by JHSingo, 22 February 2019 - 16:47.

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,813 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 18:51

I think it's nice that the commentators covering testing sounded relaxed and joyful. Big-time sports coverage can be so pompous and it tends to suck the fun out of the events.

#42 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 19:06

I think it's nice that the commentators covering testing sounded relaxed and joyful. Big-time sports coverage can be so pompous and it tends to suck the fun out of the events.

Yeah. It might turn some people off (as we've seen in this thread), but I think with testing this is pretty much the only way to do it. With dry, purely factual commentary it would be pretty dreadful and there's not enough going on anyway.